Csection Support Thread April 2005 (cont discussion from March) - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 424 Old 05-12-2005, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellybean
anyone else have nightmares later on? i mean, not right after the surgery, but like 5 or more months after birth?
Yep. My ds is 26 months. I still have a lot of night time "anxiety". I didn't see him for 3 days after the section (I saw a fleeting blurry image of his butt...). He was flight-for-life-d to PSL in Denver and I had to stay in Vail to recover. Ugh. It was mostly bad right after coming home from the hospital. What sleep I did get was only when he was resting in my arms. We tried to put him in the cradle next to our bed those initial days... but the fear that he wouldn't be there when I awoke was so strong that I needed to hold him to sleep at all! Which was good, in the long run, as he needed that too. Now, 2 years later- I do still wake in a bit of a panic sometimes...with that feeling that he's not there. I hate it.
#362 of 424 Old 05-17-2005, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Tomorrow I go in for my OB appointment, I am actually going to discuss the possibility of VBAC if my baby is in the right position. I've never had a baby in the "right" position and I've never gone into labor, so the only way I would even want to attempt it, is if I went into spontaneous labor to begin with. I am not sure what my doctor will say. The ACOG seems to leave VBA2C at the OBs discretion.
Since Katie is head down, I am also thinking of waiting another week for my scheduled csection since my risks with a vertex baby are less than with a breech baby.
Right now I am really at a loss, because I want to really listen to my body and this baby. I am perfectly fine with a repeat csection, but I have this strong pull that if Katie puts me into labor before then I should at least give my body a TOL.

Kim
#363 of 424 Old 05-17-2005, 09:04 PM

OTF That would be AWESOME!! What an exciting oppurtunity for you. I'd write more but nak....

Let us know how it goes

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#364 of 424 Old 05-18-2005, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

I spent several hours talking to another mom last night about VBAC, Cesarean and birth in general, it was a good conversation to have before my appointment this morning.

First let me say, that Katie is vertex, she is right on my cervix, and is even in the proper position for birth. Her estimated weight is 5lbs 5oz, and she is very "fat" looking for a 33 weeker. The US tech was new (to that office) and wanted to play with the 4D US machine and I was not going to argue. I got a great 10-15 minute peak at my baby who has very fat legs and fat cheeks. She even sucked her thumb for us, and acted all wild giving us a really great show. She also has HAIR! And we checked, and she is definitely still a girl.

Now for the rest of my update. My OB is as puzzled as I am, she probably spent 40 minutes talking to me today about my options, and vaginal birth isn't one of them. She doesn't even want me going into labor, if it can be avoided. She said there is just too much unknown and its better to go with what we know than what we don't know. It also appears that my septum has torn or is tearing -- she said she doesn't have enough experience with this to even know what kind of risk if any has on my pregnancy/uterus. She said that she has other patients with uterine deformities, but none like mine (thanks Mom...lol) She also, is amazed that Katie was able to get past the septum and turn vertex. We discussed rupture - she said it could vary and she sited the same numbers I've found on the net and through my own research -- it ranges from 3-20%, she also said that most ruptures do happen before or during the first stage of labor.

I'm not disappointed. In fact I feel relief, that I can continue on with my csection as planned. It may not end up being scheduled like I want it because if I start having more than 5-6 contractions an hour she is going to go ahead and section me -- especially since we don't really know what is going on with the septum and I am definitely looking at a csection at 37 weeks, even with her head down at this point. I'm not going to lie, I am a little nervous about going into labor because of the "unknown" and I am concerned about the septum. I didn't know it could "tear".

I will try to post more later.

Kim
#365 of 424 Old 05-18-2005, 05:29 PM

OTF-- I'm glad you feel good about it. I know I felt some relief when I schedlued my repeat at 37 weeks

I didn't know a septum could rip either. Can you feel it? Is she going to do some research and let you know about the tear or is she just goin to wait? Good luck to you! You are getting close aren't you

#366 of 424 Old 05-19-2005, 02:57 PM

I hated the whole thing and frankly although I want more children I would rather adopt than go through what I did again.

I went into labor on Thanksgiving Day. I was cooking dinner for my family and thought it was just gas pains. Well it wasn't. I had inconsistent hard contractions for two days and finally went into the hospital Saturday morning around 6 a.m. 4 cm's dilated. Everything was going as planned - I was able to work through my contractions naturally until about 3 p.m. The doctor's decided to break my bag of waters and give me pitocin to speed things up although I was already 9 cm's dilated. Looking back - WT*?? Any way that REALLY sped things up but I started having horrible back labor. I was still okay but they wouldn't let me move from my back -they had me hooked up to all these tubes and wires and crap and CJ's heartrate started dropping w/every contraction after they administered the pitocin. Back labor was NO FUN lying flat on your back. The nurses kept offering pain relief so I finally caved and got an epidural around 5 p.m. The pain relief only last about an hour or so. Again, I find out later that epidurals don't work for hard back labor. Again I say now - WT*??? My OB was out of town so I had the doctor on call and he has me start pushing at 6 p.m. only we don't progress at all. CJ's heartrate dropped down to 20 bpm at one point - and that's when they decided I needed a c-section. All my hard work and I wound up with a c-section. CJ was born around 9:30 that night. He was stuck on my tailbone and was told later it would have been physically impossible for me to deliver him vaginally. I don't believe that.

I am so dissapointed with the whole thing. They were talking football while stitching me up and Cullen was in with CJ getting him all checked out. I didn't see CJ until like an hour later and I couldn't even hold him because I was numb from the neck down. And the shaking! The uncontrolable shaking was worse then the contractyions. He didn't nurse with me until midnight - almost 3 hours later.

Every time I think about his birth I cringe. Recovery sucked. I am not living in a place conducive to recovering from a c-section. Nothing I could would make me comfortable and I took minimal pain relievers because I was nursing. Almost gave up on nursing all together.

They told me I won't be able to deliver vaginally ever and the idea of another c-section terrifies me.

How do you all deal with bad birth experiences, and what can I do to get past this? Is the whole no vbac a load of cr*p?

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#367 of 424 Old 05-19-2005, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Dani,

I don't see why you would not be a candidate for VBAC. It appears by your story that your labor was mismanaged.

My first csection was horrific -- I actually did go onto to adopt a child and my cesarean experience played a part in that. However I did get pregnant and went on to have a postive, beautiful birth experience - a cesarean. It wasn't until then that I was completely healed of what had happened to me before. Its a spiritual, emotional, and physical journey for sure. I am now set to have another baby by planned cesarean section in June. I have a wonderful OB has supported me every step of the way and is willing to give me the birth I want.

I strongly recommend that you find a VBAC friendly doctor in your area, get your OP reports and medical records, and study them to find out what went wrong and what they listed as the reason for your cesarean.
#368 of 424 Old 05-19-2005, 03:28 PM

congrats OTF on your questions getting answered and decision made.... I can imagine the relief you feel.
#369 of 424 Old 05-19-2005, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence
Dani,

I don't see why you would not be a candidate for VBAC. It appears by your story that your labor was mismanaged.

My first csection was horrific -- I actually did go onto to adopt a child and my cesarean experience played a part in that. However I did get pregnant and went on to have a postive, beautiful birth experience - a cesarean. It wasn't until then that I was completely healed of what had happened to me before. Its a spiritual, emotional, and physical journey for sure. I am now set to have another baby by planned cesarean section in June. I have a wonderful OB has supported me every step of the way and is willing to give me the birth I want.

I strongly recommend that you find a VBAC friendly doctor in your area, get your OP reports and medical records, and study them to find out what went wrong and what they listed as the reason for your cesarean.
thanks for your reply... i think I live in an area where finding a doc hopefully will not be too difficult if the time comes. One issue is that in the state of RI I believe (need to check my facts) homebirths are illegal - or it's illegal for a midwife to preside or something like that. Again I really need to check my facts. DH and I are planning a move to NH within the next two years so it could be I'll be dealing with NH not RI.

#370 of 424 Old 05-19-2005, 07:39 PM

Dani- I could have written that Post almost to a tee. I sympathise, really

And ITA w/ OTF!!
Quote:
I don't see why you would not be a candidate for VBAC. It appears by your story that your labor was mismanaged
Deffinatly find a Midwife (even one that delivers n a birth center/hospital) to work with you. Even now, to manage your well-woman care
#371 of 424 Old 05-20-2005, 12:26 AM

Dani, if you haven't read it already, i recommend the book "Birthing From Within" by Pam England. if you're artsy, you might like the drawing exercises. i loved using the book to prepare for birth, and now i'm loving using it to recover from my c-birth. i hope you're able to find a good midwife!

OTF, you really are a Cesarean Goddess! have you ever thought of getting something like a spiral tattooed on your belly?

someday i want to get a small spiral tattoo right above my scar. i had made a little "pocket goddess" with a spiral belly and rubbed it the whole time i was in labor! the one time i feel truly good about the c-birth is when i touch my scar and think of how i'll explain Willow's birth to her when she's old enough to understand, i can show her the scar and tattoo and say "that is my other birth canal, that is how you entered my world"

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#372 of 424 Old 05-20-2005, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thank Melly
I am not a tatoo kind of girl but that sounds cool. :LOL
#373 of 424 Old 05-20-2005, 10:28 AM

melly-- I was going to do something similar but they can't tat over scars because the ink doesn't hold and I have too many stretch marks to work around :LOL

Ok, so I asked this in a seperate post but no one has answered....

I think I'm having pain in my c/b scar. I've not had problems with adhesions before and I'm not sure what they are even like. I can't tell where the pain is comoing from as it seems to radiate along the entire scar line (internally) I thought maybe it was an ovary acting up but since it follows my scar line I'm not so sure. What do you think??

#374 of 424 Old 05-21-2005, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_our_family
I think I'm having pain in my c/b scar. I've not had problems with adhesions before and I'm not sure what they are even like. I can't tell where the pain is comoing from as it seems to radiate along the entire scar line (internally) I thought maybe it was an ovary acting up but since it follows my scar line I'm not so sure. What do you think??
you can tell if it's adhesions if the pain starts/worsens with your movements, i'm pretty sure. like, if i'm sitting cross-legged and lean back on my arms (doing some yoga) WOW it hurts! feels like a sharp cold sensation in some areas and outright tearing pain in others. i have the cold sensations near my scar, but my pain is more towards my navel, on the right side. perhaps you could try bending and twisting to see if there's a pattern to the pain?

this is my first surgical experience so i don't know how to tell if a scar has torn or ruptured from the inside, hopefully someone else can post with that info.

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#375 of 424 Old 05-21-2005, 06:06 PM

My doc said it could be adhesions. BUt I have no pain with movmnt or if I'm having pain it doens't get worse with movement. SO, I'm not sure.

She said if it gets worse or is longer lasting then we'll look into it but right now adhesions is the best guess. But I'm 15 months POST c/b...wouldn't it have started sooner than this??

#376 of 424 Old 05-21-2005, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I dont know about it being adhesions... doesnt sound likely being 15 mos. pp but I have the same pains. but i was told im just still healing. (Im only 10 weeks pp.)
It's more likely just uncomfortable scar tissue. Somehow iritated maybe?
#377 of 424 Old 05-21-2005, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This thread is fascinating. My cesarean births were so different, and it appears that there is a whole range of experience.
#378 of 424 Old 05-21-2005, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inezyv
This thread is fascinating. My cesarean births were so different, and it appears that there is a whole range of experience.

This could not be more true

#379 of 424 Old 05-24-2005, 01:00 PM

Strange question-- my scar gets *extremely* itchy and peely when I'm about to get my period. Is that normal? Are the two even related?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#380 of 424 Old 05-24-2005, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_our_family
This could not be more true
ditto.. my 2 c/s were very very different...

Chantal
#381 of 424 Old 05-27-2005, 10:33 AM

Morning
ANyone heard from OTF? (sorry I don't know your name.. ) Hope all is well.

I was wondering if anyone here has had more than 2 c-sections? I am thinking ahead.. like I usually do, and I am trying to sort out my options and feelings on baby #3, who isn't even a twinkle in my eye yet... I go for a 6 month post partum visit (anyone heard of that?! new to me!) in Mid June and wanted to go with some questions about TTC #3.. timing, options etc..

Part of me wants a vba2c.. and the other part of me says I am being selfish. My second C was not a bad experience, taken as a whole.. a bitter dissapointment.. yes... a hard recovery (harder than #1).. so I am a bit worried about #3..

Chantal
#382 of 424 Old 05-27-2005, 10:39 AM

why in the world would you need a 6 month pp visit? I've never heard of that.

#383 of 424 Old 05-27-2005, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
Strange question-- my scar gets *extremely* itchy and peely when I'm about to get my period. Is that normal? Are the two even related?

I wouldn't be surprised. I tried to make sure to pay attention to mine and see if I saw changes. I didn't notice any. My tattoos get tingly when I ovulate and the first day of af.

I started working 2 weeks ago and I think my body is adjusting to Bryce not really nursing during the day. Af came 5 days early! I was only cd29 this morning and she hasn't been showing till about cd33 lately. I was expecting her to show on tuesday...the day AFTER we get home from our 3 days trip

#384 of 424 Old 05-27-2005, 01:46 PM

OMG Megan!!! I'm so glad you said that about your tatoos!!! Mine getts itchy and tingly just before my period too!!! I said it to my doctor (family doc) and she looked at me like I was from Mars.

OTF has been posting elsewhere on the board, I think all is well
#385 of 424 Old 05-27-2005, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

hi all,

thanks for asking about me. I am hot, tired, and big as a house. baby is still vertex. I never knew there was so much pressure and PAIN down there with a vertex baby. OUCH. Baby is big. I think she may be as big if not bigger than my last baby, and she is strong. I have contractions about every 10-12 minutes but my cervix is tight, long, and high.
we are getting ready for Katie to arrive. this three day weekend will give us plenty of time to get our house in order, and hopefully maintain it. I hope to have a firm date for my csection come June 2nd.
As for our LONG thread, I am going to start a new one on June 1st, with my updated birth plan and a link to this current thread. I really hope we can get more people to participate and talk about their cesareans here and their choices and experiences. I get lots of PMs and emails from lurkers and it would be nice if more people in the forum would come out and talk. I think it would be good for all of us.

Kim
#386 of 424 Old 05-28-2005, 03:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chantald

I was wondering if anyone here has had more than 2 c-sections?
I have had three. one emergency and two scheduled at full term.
#387 of 424 Old 05-28-2005, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgirl
I have had three. one emergency and two scheduled at full term.
What were your experiences.. did it get tougher each time? I am wondering if I had such a rough recovery because 1. I was in full labor and pushing for 4 hours before the section and 2. they nicked my bladder..

I am just trying to figure out if I schedule.. if I will have an easier recovery.. I have only ever had my section after long labors..

This is a very difficult thing for me to ponder.. actually thinking of scheduling a section instead of labor..
:

Chantal
#388 of 424 Old 05-28-2005, 12:15 PM
Banned

I will post tonight i have to be a mom now.
#389 of 424 Old 05-28-2005, 05:59 PM

:

curious as well. I labored for 3 days and pushed 3 hours before my e/c. They are telling me to get another c when the time comes but I want a vbac because of the recovery time.

#390 of 424 Old 05-28-2005, 08:01 PM

I've only had two sections - one emergency and one scheduled. And, I can honestly say that I noticed very little difference in my recovery time. The first day or two with my emergency section was worse, but I think that was exhaustion (my labour had started at bedtime, so I'd been up a long time by the time they cut) and the general anesthetic. Once I got past that phase, I was about equally incapacitated by each section. Some women seem to find that the scheduled ones are easier/faster to recover from, but that wasn't the case with me at all.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page