Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a really interesting thread and I've enjoyed what I've read of it so far. I have two children, both c-section births. For my first birth (my ds) I went into labour spontaneously but it did not go well at all. I became very dehydrated after more than 12 hours of non-stop vomiting, I ended up with an IV, and a demerol injection so I could get some rest. It was really difficult to cope with the contractions after the demerol as I was really out of it at that point. I dialated to 3cm after 25 hours of labour and my water had broken. By 30 hours of labour my cervix had swollen closed to 2cm and my wonderful doctor was worried as my son's heartrate was quite slow and staying that way. I was fully ready for my c-section by the time I was wheeled into the OR. I was able to nurse him within an hour of being born and I had a great recovery. I wasn't sorry that I had had the surgery, it really seemed necessary and I was thankful that he and I both came out of it just fine.
When I became pregnant with my second (my dd) I was anxious from the start about how I was going to get this baby out of me! I wanted to try a VBAC but was worried about rupturing. At the same time, I knew that the risk of that happening was very low but I flip-flopped for the duration of my entire pregnancy whether or not I should go for it. My baby was measuring on the large end of the scale (bigger than my son did at the same stage) and my doctor didn't have a great deal of confidence that my body would do what it was supposed to do. I went to the OB who delivered my son and she couldn't recommend one way or the other for me as my labour had progressed so poorly the first time and my baby looked much bigger. I searched the net for more info on VBACs and read everything from the woman who had an unassisted birth on a beach after six sections, to the woman who ruptured without realizing it and ended up with a stillborn baby and a hysterectomy. I ended up going for an elective section and but was not super comfortable with what I was doing. I was really nervous and stressed out but everything went quite well and my baby ended up being born *more than a pound smaller* than my son was. I had a much longer recovery the second time around, most likely because I had more than one child to care for.
I do have mixed feelings about my second section as it wasn't nearly so evident that things wouldn't have worked out but I don't feel terrible about it. I was really trying to make the decision that I thought would be safest for my baby and me and I just didn't have the confidence in my body to be able to do what it was supposed to do. One thing I do regret is that if I have another baby it will be very hard to convince anyone to let me try for a VBAC at the hospital here but I don't need to worry about that for a little while!
This ended up being much longer than I intended it to! Thanks for the great thread!