Csection Support Thread April 2005 (cont discussion from March) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 424 Old 03-04-2005, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In my above birthplan I said I did not want medical students attending my csection. When I arrived at the hospital and talked to anest. that was doing it, he asked if two students could watch while he inserted the epidural. I agreed. During this time we talked about drug options, as I did not want mind altering drugs or sedatives, this included phenegran. The students were surprised by this and asked him several questions about my refusal since it is standard. (I think they were more surprised I knew the protocol) Anyway, I agreed to have them attend my csection. My thought was this, they were going to be out of the way and two, I wanted them to see that patients can make choices about their care and it not be a disaster. That you don't have to drug us into oblivion.
#62 of 424 Old 03-04-2005, 06:15 PM

I'll have to dig up my medical records to find this out for sure, but is it really common to do mind altering drugs/sedatives in an epidural after a c/s? Per my dh (and others) I was pretty sane after my c/s but tired, presumably b/c I'd been awake for 36+ hours. I didn't specify not to. But I felt fairly normal (well as normal as one can), and I remember the surgery, recovery, moving to my room, and meeting my ds (4+ hours later ). I think they actually used duramorph (sp?) since I got VERY itchy post-op. Does that seem possible? Just thinking aloud here ...
#63 of 424 Old 03-04-2005, 07:26 PM

Well, I think WE convinced my client

Ya ladies, I talked about you Just to say that I'd ask a group of woman who had c-section what they would suggest between GA and epidural and that everyone had reply that epidural was way better and safer than GA

She really is eager to hold her baby so I put the emphasis on the fact that the recovery time for GA is longer than for an epidural

I'm really glad I came here

Thanks again!

Valérie   
#64 of 424 Old 03-04-2005, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's_Mamma
I'll have to dig up my medical records to find this out for sure, but is it really common to do mind altering drugs/sedatives in an epidural after a c/s? Per my dh (and others) I was pretty sane after my c/s but tired, presumably b/c I'd been awake for 36+ hours. I didn't specify not to. But I felt fairly normal (well as normal as one can), and I remember the surgery, recovery, moving to my room, and meeting my ds (4+ hours later ). I think they actually used duramorph (sp?) since I got VERY itchy post-op. Does that seem possible? Just thinking aloud here ...
Yes it is common. Phenegran is a sedative. They also put other meds in the IV, not your epidural, to help relax you during the suturing part of your surgery. Since you had an epidural, its possible you got nothing, but that is not the norm. Duramorph does cause itchiness! I almost got that but decided to go with the other.
#65 of 424 Old 03-04-2005, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa72
tammylc,
I got mine done just before I left Canada for the US. It's called the Flexi-T(+)I'm just reading the leaflet thingy right now and it says it works by realeasing copper which the dr SWORE was harmless. You can leave this one in for three years I think it's quite new and everything I'm reading here says the copper is ok - who knows?
Ok found it, it says here the "daily intake of copper in food is 100 times higher than the daily release of a copper IUD" I like the fact it doesn't makes your periods worse.
Lisa
I think the only copper IUD that's available in the US is the Paragard, which can make periods heavier and increase cramping. The Mirena has hormones in it, and from what I was reading about 30% of woman stop having periods altogether on it. But I don't want the hormones, so I guess I'll have to take my chances.
#66 of 424 Old 03-05-2005, 07:06 PM

Sheehs...I've been missing you guys!

13 mnths post 2nd c/b and doing great! I still don't have most of the feeling around my scar though.

Dh is scheduled for a vsectomy next thursday! The doc was a little concerned because of our ages. Then dh said, Megan has had 2 fairly close c-sections and we would prefer to not have another one. Then the doc understood our concern and had no more issues.

I'll have to read to catch up with everyone.

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#67 of 424 Old 03-05-2005, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence
Yes it is common. Phenegran is a sedative. They also put other meds in the IV, not your epidural, to help relax you during the suturing part of your surgery. Since you had an epidural, its possible you got nothing, but that is not the norm. Duramorph does cause itchiness! I almost got that but decided to go with the other.
Yup, I cna't remember what they gave me but i itched like crazy...so they gave me dropwsy benadryl . I was off my rocker for days. I would start a story stop dead mid secntence and jsut stare off for about 30 minutes. THen I'd start my story bak where I had left off like nothing happened...scarey.

#68 of 424 Old 03-05-2005, 07:09 PM

Quote:
In my above birthplan I said I did not want medical students attending my csection. When I arrived at the hospital and talked to anest. that was doing it, he asked if two students could watch while he inserted the epidural. I agreed. During this time we talked about drug options, as I did not want mind altering drugs or sedatives, this included phenegran. The students were surprised by this and asked him several questions about my refusal since it is standard. (I think they were more surprised I knew the protocol) Anyway, I agreed to have them attend my csection. My thought was this, they were going to be out of the way and two, I wanted them to see that patients can make choices about their care and it not be a disaster. That you don't have to drug us into oblivion.

Yup, we don't have to be unknowledgeable as patients and its always fun to teach them a thing or too :LOL

#69 of 424 Old 03-05-2005, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacheePoo

I can honestly say that I have zero regret or guilt about having a c-section. Ds was malpositioned (had been transverse for months) and never engaged. We went to 43 weeks and tried everything-chiropractic, herbs, moxa, accupuncture, everything I'd ever heard of-to get him to turn and nothing did. I had an incredible surgeon, a speedy recovery, and I never experience pain or numbness. The scar is microscopic. I went through all the normal feelings of "what if" for a couple of months after his birth, but then they just faded away. I will have a c-section again if I ever get pregnant again.

You know, I don't have guilt over it either since I stopped letting ppl make me feel guilty. If we were to have another babe you better believe I'd find the best surgeon and the hosptial with the ebst policies (we have aTON here) and have the best delivery I could. I only regret the post-c/b tummy sag. It won't go away :LOL

#70 of 424 Old 03-06-2005, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenat
I'm SO glad that one of my friends kept telling me that a c-section wasn't the end of the world, that the best thing is "healthy baby, healthy momma."
I'm glad that was comforting for you, but people telling me the same pissed me off and upset me to no end. I went from a planned homebirth to a planned c-section over the course of two weeks, and I suffered a really profound sense of loss. I needed to acknowledge and work through that loss, not have it minimized by others.

I had to really fight hard not to smack the coworker who told me that "C-sections are no big deal. I had two myself." Not to mention all the people who said "Well, at least your baby will have a round head."
#71 of 424 Old 03-06-2005, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammylc
Not to mention all the people who said "Well, at least your baby will have a round head."
Funny how things that make one person feel better makes another feel terrible. I would never say any of those things to a person who was in my situation. If I knew they were ok with a c/b and felt no loss I would be very blunt with them but it totally depends on the person.

The round head comment is one I used to make out of defense. If I was the one who said it then no one else could say it and hurt me...kwim?

#72 of 424 Old 03-09-2005, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammylc
I'm glad that was comforting for you, but people telling me the same pissed me off and upset me to no end. I went from a planned homebirth to a planned c-section over the course of two weeks, and I suffered a really profound sense of loss. I needed to acknowledge and work through that loss, not have it minimized by others.

I had to really fight hard not to smack the coworker who told me that "C-sections are no big deal. I had two myself." Not to mention all the people who said "Well, at least your baby will have a round head."
I have to agree with Tammy, here. Oh, and b/c I was in labor for a long time and pushed for 2+ hours, my ds most certainly didn't have a round head. Poor kid had a very bruised conehead. But he's recovered nicely. :LOL
#73 of 424 Old 03-09-2005, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's_Mamma
I have to agree with Tammy, here. Oh, and b/c I was in labor for a long time and pushed for 2+ hours, my ds most certainly didn't have a round head. Poor kid had a very bruised conehead. But he's recovered nicely. :LOL
Well, that sucks. I labored long and hard with Tracy. My contrax were so intense but not productive that they laimed I was bordering on rupture. I would contract on the little meter up to about 120 and stay there for 45 minutes or more...damn pit! I never got anywhere near pushing with him.
BUt sinfe none of my boys ever drop or engage and always float it makes sense they wouldn't be coneheaded or anything.

#74 of 424 Old 03-09-2005, 02:39 PM

I went to my well-woman on Monday and met the only mw in my area that delivers at the only hospital I would consider delivering at. She was great! And the practice is hiring another mw (my friend's friend, actually) so they will have 2 mws rotating on-call w/each other vs. the mw rotating on call with the OBs. I really, really liked her and she was sympathetic to my c/s, offered great advice and wisdom, told me what she would've done differently with my labor/delivery to avoid the c/s, and that I was a great candidate for a VBAC. I'm so excited and relieved. Almost makes me want to start ttc. Almost. :LOL I know a number of people who have delivered with her and everyone was pleased, so I'm really excited. I may just get the birth I want next time (well almost -- I'd really like to deliver at home, but that's out of the question unless we UBAC).

Just had to share b/c I'm dancing on air.
#75 of 424 Old 03-09-2005, 08:32 PM

YAY!! How wonderful for you! Good providers can be so hard to find!

#76 of 424 Old 03-09-2005, 09:15 PM

I'm surprised to hear people say that they felt more with spinals. Anesthesia staff will usually tell you that you can feel more pressure and tugging with an epidural and that a spinal will provide more complete deadening of sensation. I have worked in two hospitals, one where spinals with duramorph was standard, the other where epidural with either a PCA of morphine or leave the epidural in and run demerol ("POPS") through it for 24-36 hours after the c/sec. While the duramorph does tend to cause the itches, it seems that the spinal/duramorph combo works better *for most* people in terms of good long term relief. The big, BIG loser is GA with a PCA pump of IV demerol or morphine for post-op pain control. Those women often wake up from surgery wanting to die. They often need versed (which doesn't kill pain, just makes you forget that you were in it) in addition to morphine b/c they wake from anesthesia in such pain - and wind up being so groggy from all the 'analgesia' that they can't enjoy their baby (not to mention they often don't remember the period later). Someone who thinks they are going to avoid pain by having GA needs to go hang out in a L&D recovery area for a day or so and see the unfortunate few that have their c/sec under general. It is a really big problem! I'm glad that having c/sec's under general have become blessedly rare. The anesthesia staff really does all they can to avoid it.
#77 of 424 Old 03-09-2005, 10:30 PM

Hi. I didn't even realize there was a new thread.. :

I was wondering-- has anyone had strange premenstrual cramps since their section, like you can feel the incision acting wierd, or a kind of internal itchiness? I'm 7 days late and don't feel 'typically' premenstrual but I do have this weird itchy sensation... like my uterus is crawling or something... I don't know how to explain it.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#78 of 424 Old 03-09-2005, 11:45 PM

I am 6 mo pp and trying to be gentle with myself. I feel that my c-birth was medically necessary. Unfortunately my first one was not, and that is the one I beat myself up over daily, if not hourly. I dont know if I will ever get past it. I feel like its always right there in the front of my mind. I relive both births over and over again in my mind all the time, and especially with the first one, I think what if I had done this or that differently ...

I am now considering #3 just for another shot at vbac. I wanted it SO bad. I have a friend on a board that had a c-birth and tried for a VBAC with #2 just as much as I did, and she had a c-birth in the end also, and she has given me some perspective on it, and given me things to think about and I am grateful for that. I am breastfeeding, and I think that it helps me SO much to see that my body DOES know what to do for my baby. I am sure I'll be posting more on this thread again.
#79 of 424 Old 03-10-2005, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
Hi. I didn't even realize there was a new thread.. :

I was wondering-- has anyone had strange premenstrual cramps since their section, like you can feel the incision acting wierd, or a kind of internal itchiness? I'm 7 days late and don't feel 'typically' premenstrual but I do have this weird itchy sensation... like my uterus is crawling or something... I don't know how to explain it.
I had that type of feeling when I was pg with Bryce.

7 days late....I would have already tested...

#80 of 424 Old 03-10-2005, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_our_family
I had that type of feeling when I was pg with Bryce.

7 days late....I would have already tested...
Um... that's not what you were supposed to say.

I would test, but I seriously don't want to waste the money; besides, with BooBah I got a BFN when I was 7 days late (followed by a BFP on day 10). And I did feel premenstrual last week, and I don't feel pregnant now...

Gosh, listen to me make excuses!

I'll test on Monday if she hasn't shown up by then...

#81 of 424 Old 03-10-2005, 02:00 AM

Um, ok. I'm sorry.

Have you been doing anything out of the noraml? Start a new workout routine? Is BooBah nursing less? Are you stressed? Maybe you are just having a long cycle. It happens you know. I was 8 days late a few months ago. I was just late, nothing more.

#82 of 424 Old 03-10-2005, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_our_family
Have you been doing anything out of the noraml? Start a new workout routine? Is BooBah nursing less? Are you stressed? Maybe you are just having a long cycle. It happens you know. I was 8 days late a few months ago. I was just late, nothing more.
BooBah is definately nursing less, but I think her brother is more than making up for the difference. It's a viscious cycle; BeanBean drinks all the milk, BooBah nurses for a while but is still hungry so she asks for food, I make less milk, BeanBean drinks it all up even more quickly.

I'm very stressed right now, because my teeth are rotting and I can't find a dentist I'm in pain all the time, and my blood pressure is really freaking high. It totally sucks.

Today I feel dizzy and nauseated, though. And Mike's had a migraine for the past few days... bleh.

#83 of 424 Old 03-10-2005, 11:46 AM

Hi, I'm Jen, and I am currently 19 months post-partum. My son Michael started out at a birth center but then was transferred and delivered by unplanned c-section after 44 hours of labor when he didn't descend (I believe he was at -2 station when delivered). The cause was determined to be a triple nuchal cord that was wrapped so tightly that my midwife had to uncoil it before she could even remove him from my uterus.

The whole experience has been a mixed bag for me. The surgery went perfectly, I had a fantastic surgeon, and I healed quickly. My son is so beautiful and healthy and I'm so thankful for him, but at the same time I feel like less of a woman and like I failed.

I want to have another child but both my husband and I are afraid. I worry about things like rupturing the incision even though I know rationally that the risk is extremely low. He says he doesn't want to see me in that much pain ever again; he felt so helpless when they wheeled me away to cut me open and it scared him badly.

My scar is more or less invisible now (low transverse incision) but there is still an area about 1-1/2" in width around it that is numb. I don't like looking at it and it bothers me if either my husband or I touches it. It makes me feel so disconnected from my own body. I don't think it's possible but psychosomatically I believe I can feel the scar inside, on my uterus.

As far as my son goes, I have a hard time saying "when my son was born," or referring to his delivery as a birth. I know he was born, but I don't feel as if I had anything to do with it, if you know what I mean.

So, there it is. It's nice to find other moms to talk to about this.
#84 of 424 Old 03-10-2005, 11:56 AM

On this topic, how soon after a c-section is it safe to get pregnant again?? I haven't had a period yet (c-s was 6 weeks ago) but did have unprotected sex. I'm not thinking I am pregnant but if I was, is there even any chance for the baby??
#85 of 424 Old 03-10-2005, 05:40 PM

I was told that I ought to wait a year to be on the safe side.

oh, and I had a dr's appt today-- I'm not pregnant, just late. :LOL

#86 of 424 Old 03-10-2005, 06:58 PM

Hooray for late periods After rading your last post I can see how you would be. It sounds a tad stressful for you right now.

According to everything I have hear there is no risk for the baby if you get pg too soon. It doesn't cause m/c or anything like that. I think they would prefer a year for VBAC but I got pg when Tracy was around 6 months and they didn't talk like it was a big deal. I have a friend who got pg when her babe was 4 weeks old...the girls are only 9.5 months apart... and she had no problems with either her or the babe.

#87 of 424 Old 03-10-2005, 07:20 PM

Wow!! Had she had a c-section for her first?? I guess the biggest worry would be stress on the uterine incision--I wouldn't want that splitting or anything!
#88 of 424 Old 03-16-2005, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to say sorry for being MIA.
My FIL died and I had to suddenly go out of town. We leave in 8 days to go on vacation. Which we will need.

UPDATE: My husband has decided that he would like to cut the cord when the baby is delivered. I am very excited by this. I am going to schedule my 4D ultrasound for next month. I am looking forward to doing it!
#89 of 424 Old 03-16-2005, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
Wow!! Had she had a c-section for her first?? I guess the biggest worry would be stress on the uterine incision--I wouldn't want that splitting or anything!
If this was in reference to my friend....those bbies were c-sections 5 and 6. She has 7 kids. Her first was vag the rest were by c/b.

#90 of 424 Old 03-16-2005, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I just wanted to say sorry for being MIA.
My FIL died and I had to suddenly go out of town. We leave in 8 days to go on vacation. Which we will need.

UPDATE: My husband has decided that he would like to cut the cord when the baby is delivered. I am very excited by this. I am going to schedule my 4D ultrasound for next month. I am looking forward to doing it!

Yay for your dh cutting the cord. for your loss

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page