Mothering Forum banner

Csection Support Thread April 2005 (cont discussion from March)

16K views 423 replies 50 participants last post by  melixxa 
#1 ·
Hi!

This thread is for support only and not to debate the necessity of cesarean birth. This is a place to moan, complain, bitch, mourn, share the joy, thoughtful decision, cesarean birthplans, etc and all are welcome!

I wanted us to keep the same thread going since there is a lot of information here. I have recieved so many PMs from lurkers and other moms on mothering about cesareans and getting support for one that I thought it best we keep it going.

Kim

#202 ·
Ok, so I think I'm starting to understand this all better. Storm Bride-I gotta say, I'm really glad you found this forum and you're feeling stronger about your ability to advocate for yourself.
I have one more question for you all though

Like I said before, I can understand all the emotions you have when that is said, but the people who are saying it--do they know that you were emotionally traumatized? For instance, when Molly was first born, some lady came up to me in the grocery store, she complimented and said Molly was beautiful, and how old is she? I told her whatever it was-probably less than a week and she said, ohhhh my, I thought she was older--her head is so perfectly round! I respond with "Yes, unfortunately we needed to have a c-section" adn she replied with "at least everybody is healthy and it was so worth it" Now this was just some lil old lady. For all she knew maybe I "needed" a c-section because I somehow thought the recovery would be easier (or however many other excuses people use when they have unnecc sections. She didn't know I had originally wanted a home birth, none of that--now because of that--I can't see taking offence--she doesn't knwo what I wanted--and I'm highly unlikely to stand in the cereal aisle and explain it to her-so from her viewpoint--as not knowing me or my ideals, I feel it's appropriate. Sometimes actually when I say to someone that I had a section (or even worse, wehn I was pregnant and told them I was having a section!) I feel the need to defend myself--I guess thinking right now about it-I have the same fears someone else mentioned-that they will think I'm just stupid, that I didn't know any better-they may figure I won't bond as well because she wasn't born vaginally--so I guess (and yeah, I'm just figuring this out now) I actually DO take comfort in "at least she's healthy, that's all that matters" mainly because I don't feel that comment will be followed with "you mean you didn't even TRY???" or worse (for me anyway) "you know if you'd had a midwife instead of an OB, she'd have been able to get your through a vaginal birth" or, "so you haven't actually given birth, you just had surgery"

Also Storm Bride, don't let stories of good recovery get you down, I strongly believe my lack of pain and quick recovery had to do with measured I requested adn solutions my OB and I came up with together. You've still got time, thats why I was saying earlier-do a plan A and a plan B birth plan so your'e ready adn know which points are most important. I think it helps knowing and accepting to a point what to expect from your section-and to have it done YOUR way. I jsut trusted my doc on pain relief, but OTF has a great surgical birth birth plan that described pain relief in detail.
I so hope you get your VBAC, I really do, but it's worth it to be prepared for worst case scenario just in case.
And thank you as well for helping me understand better where you're coming from. I really do think much of the difference between you and say myself or Kim--I came to terms with it all BEFORE it happened--so for me at least--the event really wasn't remotely traumatic--I'd already done that part--but in a non-urgent and relaxed state-at home talking to my tummy

#203 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by shannon0218
Ok, so I think I'm starting to understand this all better. Storm Bride-I gotta say, I'm really glad you found this forum and you're feeling stronger about your ability to advocate for yourself.
I have one more question for you all though

Like I said before, I can understand all the emotions you have when that is said, but the people who are saying it--do they know that you were emotionally traumatized? For instance, when Molly was first born, some lady came up to me in the grocery store, she complimented and said Molly was beautiful, and how old is she? I told her whatever it was-probably less than a week and she said, ohhhh my, I thought she was older--her head is so perfectly round! I respond with "Yes, unfortunately we needed to have a c-section" adn she replied with "at least everybody is healthy and it was so worth it" Now this was just some lil old lady. For all she knew maybe I "needed" a c-section because I somehow thought the recovery would be easier (or however many other excuses people use when they have unnecc sections. She didn't know I had originally wanted a home birth, none of that--now because of that--I can't see taking offence--she doesn't knwo what I wanted--and I'm highly unlikely to stand in the cereal aisle and explain it to her-so from her viewpoint--as not knowing me or my ideals, I feel it's appropriate. Sometimes actually when I say to someone that I had a section (or even worse, wehn I was pregnant and told them I was having a section!) I feel the need to defend myself--I guess thinking right now about it-I have the same fears someone else mentioned-that they will think I'm just stupid, that I didn't know any better-they may figure I won't bond as well because she wasn't born vaginally--so I guess (and yeah, I'm just figuring this out now) I actually DO take comfort in "at least she's healthy, that's all that matters" mainly because I don't feel that comment will be followed with "you mean you didn't even TRY???" or worse (for me anyway) "you know if you'd had a midwife instead of an OB, she'd have been able to get your through a vaginal birth" or, "so you haven't actually given birth, you just had surgery"

Also Storm Bride, don't let stories of good recovery get you down, I strongly believe my lack of pain and quick recovery had to do with measured I requested adn solutions my OB and I came up with together. You've still got time, thats why I was saying earlier-do a plan A and a plan B birth plan so your'e ready adn know which points are most important. I think it helps knowing and accepting to a point what to expect from your section-and to have it done YOUR way. I jsut trusted my doc on pain relief, but OTF has a great surgical birth birth plan that described pain relief in detail.
I so hope you get your VBAC, I really do, but it's worth it to be prepared for worst case scenario just in case.
And thank you as well for helping me understand better where you're coming from. I really do think much of the difference between you and say myself or Kim--I came to terms with it all BEFORE it happened--so for me at least--the event really wasn't remotely traumatic--I'd already done that part--but in a non-urgent and relaxed state-at home talking to my tummy

*you didn't respond to my post so I hope it's okay that I'm answering your respponse to stormbride... but I think that the fact tha tfolks DON'T realize that a victom of csection would be an emotional wreck IS A SOCIETAL PROBLEM. It just shows how acceptable folks think csections are/should be. Just my 2cents.

*Also, I hate it when people ask when he was "born". I know that no on would be able to know that... but the truth is he WASN'T born. He was induced WAY early. He didn't want to come out. My body didn't want to let him out... then he was cut from uterus. There was no birthing going on. The word born in a double-edged sword to me. His first "birthday" was very hard for me. His second... a bit easier.. on March 7th. But, as I sit here on April 10th.... we're still not at his actual due date... the day he should have been "born". ugh. ANyway.

#204 ·
I see what you mean Kimberly, but you also have to accept (well you don't have to accept anything) that for MANY people a c-section IS NOT traumatic. There are many of us who were prepared or even if we weren't simply don't see it that way (Heavenly for instance) So why should the fact that people don't realize that YOU had a traumatic event mean that this is a societal problem.
Honestly, I really find what you're saying about a c-section not being a birth really offensive. My daughter was born and she was born the way I want in a beautiful and loving environment. While I may be able to think of a more beautiful birth, I made my birth what I needed it to be and my daughter was in deed born to me.

#205 ·
Quote:

I'm really not sure what you found offensive.
I'm sorry I wasn't clear - I didn't mean I found what *you* wrote offensive - just that I found all the people saying to me "well at least you had a healthy baby - why are you upset" offensive.

I'm always really happy to hear about people for whom "I had a healthy baby and that's all that matters" is true.

Sorry for the confusion!!!

#206 ·
Quote:

I see what you mean Kimberly, but you also have to accept (well you don't have to accept anything) that for MANY people a c-section IS NOT traumatic. There are many of us who were prepared or even if we weren't simply don't see it that way (Heavenly for instance) So why should the fact that people don't realize that YOU had a traumatic event mean that this is a societal problem.
Honestly, I really find what you're saying about a c-section not being a birth really offensive. My daughter was born and she was born the way I want in a beautiful and loving environment. While I may be able to think of a more beautiful birth, I made my birth what I needed it to be and my daughter was in deed born to me.

I consider it a "societal" issue because csections SHOULD BE CONSIDERED TRAUMATIC. Not every day. not an "alternative" to an actual birth. They should be considered on emergency basis. YES, women should be prepared and educated on csections, but they're so laxidasical (I'm SURE that's not the correct spelling! LOL) these days... that's why I consider it a societal issue.
There's no pre-counseling for an emergency csection (and there could be... even five minutes of attention on my obs part could have helped me...) and no post counseling either. I sat in the hospital for a month and not one person asked me if I was doing okay emotionally after having my son ripped from my uterus. This is NOT okay.

#207 ·
But Kimberly have you considered that may not be the case everywhere??? My hospital has a support group for people who've undergone a c-section. My community offers the support of a community nurse once a day once you go home. I was thoroughly councelled on what would be occuring. YOUR experience is not necessary the experience of everyone and therefore why should society have to assume that every mother who gave birth by c-section is pissed about it and still an emotional wreck 2 yrs later. For your own health and happyness you need to take responsibility for you and seek out coucelling or help, it certainly appears that you are still emotionally paralysed by this--and that's NOT right! I spoke to MANY people before having my c-section, many were very well educated, but none as upset as you. That you sat in the hospital a month and nobody worried about your emotional health is the sign of a very lousy hospital-especially since symptoms of PPD I'm sure were blaring.

Women being prepared and educated on c-sections is the responsibility of both the patient AND the woman--that cannot be ignored--I read posts here every day where people mention the "stupid" OB started talking about c-sections and I tuned him out. Yes, it's major surgery and we need to be prepared--I had back surgery too, that was major--should people have not said at least you're ok--afterall--now I'm missing my L5 disc--that played a role in my having HUGE difficulty in pregnancy adn it was an element of why a section was best for me. Is it a societal problem that people didn't recognize adn don't continue to recognize that I'm not happy about having my spine cut open??
I have rhuematiod arthritis, every day I walk around in pain--some days agony--demerol and percocet no longer have much of an effect on me--that's how bad my pain is. My left hand is completely deformed--but you know, I don't expect society as a whole to understand what I am going through. I don't even expect my dh to understand the shear exhaustion. When people tell me to go home and have a warm bath--I don't get all offended because they should know damn well that even if I actually made it into a tub, I'd never be able to safely get up again. Perhaps it should be a societal issue that nobody understands the pain I experience EVERY day. Yeah people make comparisons that blow my mind--they look at my wrist, deformed, crooked, twisted and unable to move without horrid agony and they tell me that yeah, they broke their wrist when they were a kid--and you know, sometimes it still hurts when it rains--and yes, society things that's just hunky dorey.
All I'm saying is that instead of trying to change societal impressions--which you won't do, work instead on maybe changing the hospital policy where you gave birth, perhaps you could spear head a surgical birth support group. Perhaps you could write your OB and tell him that you still feel emotional pain and tell him the things he could have reasonably done to make your experience better. Next time you have a child you can make sure that you've educated yourself on what doctors are the best to prevent what happened to you before.

And still, above all, frankly--when I hear "that's what counts" what I get from that is-if you could choose to change the negative by giving up the subject of "that's what counts" would you? If you say no--well then--that is what counts. I'm not saying I don't understand the other emotions of pain and hurt--but those are not emotions that society as a whole is going to understand--why--because your situation is NOT the norm--and that's good, cause it shouldn't be the norm.

#208 ·
Shannon: I'm certainly not trying to downplay the pain of your arthritis. I've only ever seen one or two cases that bad, and I can recall thinking that I can't imagine what it would be like to get through a single day, let alone a whole life, with that much pain. But, I think I understand what edamommy is saying. C-sections are an invasive surgical procedure that our society is now treating as a "better" alternative to birth...more convenient, less painful, etc., etc. I have no problem with women choosing sections because they've assessed their alternatives think that a section is less risky for themselves and/or the baby. But, our culture has gone way beyond that. It's very difficult to be one of the women who have such a bad time with it (and there are many of us) and pick up magazines that contain articles about the "convenient alternative" of given birth surgically. I've actually had one woman comment (with my son) that I was so lucky to have avoided labour (which was an odd comment after I'd laboured for 20+ hours!). I think that's probably part of what edamommy is talking about.

Also, I have to say that I'd never considered that the situation here might not be the case everywhere. This is the first time I'd ever even heard of a c-section support group at a hospital. I certainly didn't stay in the hospital a month (I'd have probably killed myself if I had!!), but there was absolutely no concern about my emotional health. I've been hassled by nurses for taking too long to turn over, I've been badgered about what I'm doing wrong with b/f, even though their "solutions" were almost all impossible for me to achieve with the incision, etc., etc. The entire attitude with both babies was like I'd just had a comparatively easy labour was just being lazy. Most of the people I know who've had sections have had them in that hospital...it's the only one in the region, and their experiences are all quite similar. (Well, except for my SIL who would have just scheduled a section in the first place if they'd have let her, and who also bounced back so fast, she was doing sit-ups in two weeks!)

#209 ·
Quote:

But Kimberly have you considered that may not be the case everywhere??? My hospital has a support group for people who've undergone a c-section. My community offers the support of a community nurse once a day once you go home. I was thoroughly councelled on what would be occuring. YOUR experience is not necessary the experience of everyone and therefore why should society have to assume that every mother who gave birth by c-section is pissed about it and still an emotional wreck 2 yrs later. For your own health and happyness you need to take responsibility for you and seek out coucelling or help, it certainly appears that you are still emotionally paralysed by this--and that's NOT right! I spoke to MANY people before having my c-section, many were very well educated, but none as upset as you. That you sat in the hospital a month and nobody worried about your emotional health is the sign of a very lousy hospital-especially since symptoms of PPD I'm sure were blaring.

Women being prepared and educated on c-sections is the responsibility of both the patient AND the woman--that cannot be ignored--I read posts here every day where people mention the "stupid" OB started talking about c-sections and I tuned him out. Yes, it's major surgery and we need to be prepared--I had back surgery too, that was major--should people have not said at least you're ok--afterall--now I'm missing my L5 disc--that played a role in my having HUGE difficulty in pregnancy adn it was an element of why a section was best for me. Is it a societal problem that people didn't recognize adn don't continue to recognize that I'm not happy about having my spine cut open??
I have rhuematiod arthritis, every day I walk around in pain--some days agony--demerol and percocet no longer have much of an effect on me--that's how bad my pain is. My left hand is completely deformed--but you know, I don't expect society as a whole to understand what I am going through. I don't even expect my dh to understand the shear exhaustion. When people tell me to go home and have a warm bath--I don't get all offended because they should know damn well that even if I actually made it into a tub, I'd never be able to safely get up again. Perhaps it should be a societal issue that nobody understands the pain I experience EVERY day. Yeah people make comparisons that blow my mind--they look at my wrist, deformed, crooked, twisted and unable to move without horrid agony and they tell me that yeah, they broke their wrist when they were a kid--and you know, sometimes it still hurts when it rains--and yes, society things that's just hunky dorey.
All I'm saying is that instead of trying to change societal impressions--which you won't do, work instead on maybe changing the hospital policy where you gave birth, perhaps you could spear head a surgical birth support group. Perhaps you could write your OB and tell him that you still feel emotional pain and tell him the things he could have reasonably done to make your experience better. Next time you have a child you can make sure that you've educated yourself on what doctors are the best to prevent what happened to you before.

And still, above all, frankly--when I hear "that's what counts" what I get from that is-if you could choose to change the negative by giving up the subject of "that's what counts" would you? If you say no--well then--that is what counts. I'm not saying I don't understand the other emotions of pain and hurt--but those are not emotions that society as a whole is going to understand--why--because your situation is NOT the norm--and that's good, cause it shouldn't be the norm.

*I knew I was going to have a section about 6 minutes before having one. Guess I should have been more prepared in that 6 minutes... hmmmm

also, just so you're aware... I believe this thread is for csection support.... and it seems like you really don't need any support.
thumbs up to you.

I somehow knew I should not have posted in this thread.

#210 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry's_Mamma
Honestly, I think we all can agree that the most important thing is that we have our babies in our arms. I don't think a single mama here would say that the perfect birth would be better than a dead or severely compromised child. So in that respect, I think we're all on the same page.

However, I think where we disagree is the role of the birth experience. Some of us placed a HUGE weight on that experience in our minds. For others of us, it wasn't as important. For those for whom it was hugely important, we wanted something specific, and we were probably willing to compromise a little with respect to it, but somehow we ended up in an entirely different place than we expected, and we are now in a position where no one gets what our problem is. Our "problem" is that we are grieving the experience we lost. Some of us grieved quickly. Some of us will grieve forever. We are different people with vastly different personas and experiences. Some of us probably were "violated" during their births far more greatly than others. Some of us might have been betrayed by those we trusted a lot more. Some of us might have just been the victims of bad circumstances. But the best we can do is take each woman where she is at, respect where she has come from, and help her move forward toward a place of healing and acceptance -- at a pace that is respectful of her and her experience. And for some of us, statements like "healthy and alive" are hurtful simply b/c they remind us of what we lost (even though we are simultaneously so happy to have what we have).

I'm not sure if all this babbling has made a lick of sense, so I'll stop now. But ladies, can't we all just get along?
Excellent post, Henry's Mama. Sums up my feelings pretty much exactly.

#211 ·
Shannon: I just noticed your question about whether the people saying "that's what counts" knew that I was emotionally traumatized. In at least two cases that I can recall, my trauma was exactly what I was trying to talk about when I got shot down with "at least the baby is healthy - that's what counts" (in one case it was "that's all that counts"). I think these comments are one of the reasons things have festered for so long. I just stopped talking about it. I didn't talk about the trauma of the surgery - I didn't talk about the emotional pain of unsuccessfully trying to conceive for over three years - I didn't talk about my miscarriages. I just shut up, because people kept dismissing everything I said.

#212 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by edamommy
There's no pre-counseling for an emergency csection (and there could be... even five minutes of attention on my obs part could have helped me...) and no post counseling either. I sat in the hospital for a month and not one person asked me if I was doing okay emotionally after having my son ripped from my uterus. This is NOT okay.
Yup, this isn't ok. I had never thought about pre and post counseling. THat is a good point.

I however don't think that c-sections are a societal norm. I think they are excepted in a way that is unhealthy because of its over use. I agree. It should not be used as a alternative to vaginal birth in women who do not have conditions requiring surgical birth.

Impatience. I think that impatience is the biggest factor. The leading cause for c/b is NOT uterine malformtion. It is NOT healht issues. It isn't een breech babies. Its induciton. Which leads to all sorts of problems that they use for reasonsing for c/b.

#213 ·
Hi, I'm new here. We are currently 7 months pp and slowly working through the issues that came along w/the c/s. Our story is long and sorted, I will post it later. So glad to have stumbled upon this group

Kimberley- I totally get what you're saying about dc "being born". I have been consumed with thoughts of what could have been (her birthday, my labor,etc..).
Her Papa & I referred to c/s as "baby extraction" before we actually had to go that route. Its still difficult for me but its getting better with time. The worst for me is when people suggest that I should just be grateful to have a child at all (I have raging endometriosis). How obnoxious is that?

#214 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by edamommy
*I knew I was going to have a section about 6 minutes before having one. Guess I should have been more prepared in that 6 minutes... hmmmm

I somehow knew I should not have posted in this thread.

SOUnds like we were near the same bost.
I knew about 15 minutes before. As soon as the epidural took hold ew started. I spent over a year depressed over my c/b. I tried tot alk to my dh about it and he gave me the "healthy baby" reason. It sucked. It pissed me off. It still pisses me off. How can anyone act like I didn't miss out on anything.

But in being prepared, I didn't even consider the fact that it might happen to me. I was igorant when it came to what I could ask and what I couldn't ask for. I was ignorant when it came to the drugs they were pushing into my body. I was ignorant for not being prepared. Preparing doesn't mean it will happen and I know some women feel that way. They think that if they prepare for the possibility of a c/b that it will become truth.

You should post here. There is a lot of support going on. DO you think Shannon was this excepting of her c/b when it was presented to her? Do you think anyone just goes, "Yeah, whatever."?

What youa re expressing is what I went through. I don't want to belittle anyone's emoition over their c/b. But Iv'e come to the conclusion that if I remain pissed about it it really warps my sense of now. It changes how I feel about myself and my children. Before I learned to move on I was miserable. There wasn't as much as a day where I didn't cry over my c/b that first year. I mourned hard for my loss. I still do.

#215 ·
I don't think its fair to say someone shouldn't post in the csection support thread because they are not in complete trauma over. Csection support can mean support to overcome your feelings over it or support from people who understand why you are planning another one.

edamommy - I don't want to sound rude when I say this but I really think you need to talk to someone about this. To actually think your son wasn't born, wow, that blows my mind. A child is born when they leave their mother's womb and enter the world. Your son did not come out of your vagina he was helped out of your uterus but surgery. He was born as surely as any other child is born. He came out of your body and took his first breath. You DID give birth and life to your child. I pray for you that someday you will be able to look back on your child's birth with joy instead of pain. The only person you are hurting right now is yourself but I fear your child may be hurt to if he learns of your feelings regarding his birth and the fact that you really don't feel he was born. He may blame himself for the trauma you've gone through for so many years.

That said I think it might be a good idea to have two separate threads. Everyone could still post in either thread but I personally would love a thread for people who are taking control over their c-sections and rejoicing in them. I would love to be able to talk to people who are planning another c-section and excited about it. To talk about birth plans and good experiences. I feel that the needs of someone who needs support because they were so traumatized by it and are determined come hell or high water they will have a VBAC are very different from the needs of someone like me who has overcome my pain of my c-births and will be planning another should I be lucky enough to conceive. Just a thought...

#216 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavenly
I don't think its fair to say someone shouldn't post in the csection support thread because they are not in complete trauma over. Csection support can mean support to overcome your feelings over it or support from people who understand why you are planning another one.

edamommy - I don't want to sound rude when I say this but I really think you need to talk to someone about this. To actually think your son wasn't born, wow, that blows my mind. A child is born when they leave their mother's womb and enter the world. Your son did not come out of your vagina he was helped out of your uterus but surgery. He was born as surely as any other child is born. He came out of your body and took his first breath. You DID give birth and life to your child. I pray for you that someday you will be able to look back on your child's birth with joy instead of pain. The only person you are hurting right now is yourself but I fear your child may be hurt to if he learns of your feelings regarding his birth and the fact that you really don't feel he was born. He may blame himself for the trauma you've gone through for so many years.

That said I think it might be a good idea to have two separate threads. Everyone could still post in either thread but I personally would love a thread for people who are taking control over their c-sections and rejoicing in them. I would love to be able to talk to people who are planning another c-section and excited about it. To talk about birth plans and good experiences. I feel that the needs of someone who needs support because they were so traumatized by it and are determined come hell or high water they will have a VBAC are very different from the needs of someone like me who has overcome my pain of my c-births and will be planning another should I be lucky enough to conceive. Just a thought...
** you do indeed sound rude. But, whatever... that's what I have to deal with, people who have no idea what I feel like and why. BTW-- I have since received counseling... from a counselor who thought I should stop bf'ing and go back to work to "find myself" insteadof focusing on being a mother. Yeah! Also, my ds didn't actually take a first breath... it took 20 minutes to resesitate him and he was on a ventilator for a few days. He was cut out of my uterus 7 weeks before he was even due. He was so NOT BORN!! And THAT is what I need to wrap myself around, accept, and move on from. I grow every day. I'm writing it down.... getting it out.... moving on. I delight in my son every day. He's truly amazing. He and I are like super-heros having survived this! I'm hoping to stay away from this thread from now on and I'm sorry to have entered it and stirred things up as it is. I totally do not find that, a bunch of mamas telling me to "get over it and accept responsiblity for it and move on", supportive at all! I have carried the weight
of responsiblity for it for two + years... and I know that the "get over it and move on part" comes from passing a bit of that weight around to other responsible parties and giving myself more healing and less "responsiblity". anyway....

#217 ·
I have been reading for the past thirty minutes this thread. Intense stuff.

I want to make this REAL CLEAR. The reason this is called cesarean support thread is for many reasons, all can post here, especially those who are happy about their csection or who have chosen elective csections (there is actually two posters who have chosen this route on mothering but havent posted in a long time that I see). While some of us have experienced trauma, grief over our csections some of us are also comfortable with them as well. (I fall into both categories)

I just want to make it clear, this thread was mainly started so women like myself could come onto the Mothering forum and not be judged or bashed for our choices, or be told "if you would have done this you could have had a vaginal birth." And don't think that hasnt been told to many of us who needed csections through no fault of our own. I personally wanted women who had csections to come and talk about their experience, good or bad, discuss their birthplans for csections to make them more friendly, to discuss planning a csection in future pregnancies (for whatever reason) and to also discuss healing after a csection (whether it be emotional or physical). Not to mention much much more.

I think HenrysMomma posted a wonderful post and I wanted to say a few things that coincide with that. I put pressure on myself to have a natural, vaginal birth before I ever came to Mothering. I was of the belief that if you trust the birth process anyone and eveyone could have a vaginal birth, and that if you didn't have one you were either stupid, ignorant, uninformed, or a wimp. I can throw a few more judgements in there if you like but I am sure they have been read plenty of times and spoke in the NFL/AP community plenty. Even though I had a valid medical reason for my csection I felt like I had failed and my body had failed, I felt like I wasn't worthy of being a mother because I had not given birth to my baby like so many others. I was the only woman in my family to have had a csection, EVER. Then when I got online and came to the NFL/AP communties and met other like minded moms, my shame and judgement on myself increased ten fold. I've been told it all. However I know my uterus better than anyone and I know that unless I have grossly premature babies, a vaginal birth is not going to happen for me. I've been told that it would have been more natural to allow my baby to die and that my baby would have eventually turned and that I could have birthed a transverse breech baby. I was told by lay people I could have a VBAC, however I spoke to midwives all over the country who said they wouldn't touch me with a ten foot pole with my uterus, especially now that it had been cut. I've been sent all kinds of interesting information about bicornuate vaginal deliveries and breech presentation deliveries saying if I had done this, or that, then it would happen for me too. And some people dont care about my increased rupture risk or cord injury risk, etc etc because all I should really care about is how I give birth.

Well let me say this -- I do feel like my children were born. I had a labor of love for months to bring LIVE children into the world. So it didnt happen the most ideal way, however I can make it the most ideal way for *me*. I gave birth to my children, through a six inch hole in my abdominal cavity -- and I am going to do it again. And I am going to make it a beautiful, loving experience. There comes a time when emotionally and spiritually you need to move on, accept what god/goddess/spirit has given you to work with and learn the life lesson from it. Its not good to be bitter, nor is it good to see your child's birthday is a horrible day in your life -- the day you gave life to your precious children.

One of the reasons I like this thread is because hundreds of folks lurk here, and hopefully what is said here will help them understand women, help prepare a doula or midwife should their client transfer, or at least think twice the next time they say something condescending for someone who didn't squeeze a baby out of their vagina for whatever reason. And I know that has happened because I get emails and PMs from doulas and women in the MDC community asking my questions or saying "thanks for what you said, because I remember that info when my client was transferred". They normally don't agree with me, but what was said here benefitted them, and that to me is what counts when we all chat like this.

Later.

Kim

#218 ·
I took control over my c-section but I could never say that I rejoice in it. We planned our c/s in the 25th hour & somehow lucked out with the coolest, most accomodating OB I could ever wish for. The hospital stay was definitely the worst part for me (bitchy formula-pushing nurses). While I am grateful that the option was there when we needed it, I will do everything in my power to avoid another c/s. I'm disappoited by the experience but not bitter...it helps that the result is the most beautiful baby in the world. Next time I will again be planning a home water birth but we will write a c/s birthplan just in case. I guess I would post in both threads?

#219 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheFence
II just want to make it clear, this thread was mainly started so women like myself could come onto the Mothering forum and not be judged or bashed for our choices, or be told "if you would have done this you could have had a vaginal birth." And don't think that hasnt been told to many of us who needed csections through no fault of our own. I personally wanted women who had csections to come and talk about their experience, good or bad, discuss their birthplans for csections to make them more friendly, to discuss planning a csection in future pregnancies (for whatever reason) and to also discuss healing after a csection (whether it be emotional or physical). Not to mention much much more.
I'm very grateful that you've posted this thread. I honestly think I've done more healing in the past two or three days than I did in the 12 years before coming here. Of course, the real catalyst for everything was this pregnancy, and being told I'd have to have the section. But, finding this thread has made a huge difference in my ability to cope with everything. Actually, Shannon, in particular, has helped tremendously, because her questions are making me get these feelings out and try to find a different perspetive. Years of having people shut me down and dismiss me certainly didn't do that! I'm still going to try for a VBA2C (depending how things go with my next OB appointment and ultarsound), and I don't think I'll ever be happy about having the sections, but I'm coping better every day. I just hope this baby doesn't decide to do a gymnastics routine at the last minute! (My kids like to turn breech right at the end of the pregnancy.)

I haven't worked out either birth plan (it's a very foreign idea to me) yet, but I'm definitely going to see if I can have my baby with me while in post-op recovery. I think that would make a huge difference in how I cope.

#220 ·
<<<I'm very grateful that you've posted this thread. I honestly think I've done more healing in the past two or three days than I did in the 12 years before coming here. Of course, the real catalyst for everything was this pregnancy, and being told I'd have to have the section. But, finding this thread has made a huge difference in my ability to cope with everything. Actually, Shannon, in particular, has helped tremendously, because her questions are making me get these feelings out and try to find a different perspetive. Years of having people shut me down and dismiss me certainly didn't do that! I'm still going to try for a VBA2C (depending how things go with my next OB appointment and ultarsound), and I don't think I'll ever be happy about having the sections, but I'm coping better every day. I just hope this baby doesn't decide to do a gymnastics routine at the last minute! (My kids like to turn breech right at the end of the pregnancy.)>>>

Storm I am very glad to see you post this.

i really hope you stick around and that you really get a wonderful birth, no matter how it happens!

#221 ·
<<you do indeed sound rude. But, whatever... that's what I have to deal with, people who have no idea what I feel like and why. BTW-- I have since received counseling... from a counselor who thought I should stop bf'ing and go back to work to "find myself" insteadof focusing on being a mother. Yeah! Also, my ds didn't actually take a first breath... it took 20 minutes to resesitate him and he was on a ventilator for a few days. He was cut out of my uterus 7 weeks before he was even due. He was so NOT BORN!! And THAT is what I need to wrap myself around, accept, and move on from. I grow every day. I'm writing it down.... getting it out.... moving on. I delight in my son every day. He's truly amazing. He and I are like super-heros having survived this! I'm hoping to stay away from this thread from now on and I'm sorry to have entered it and stirred things up as it is. I totally do not find that, a bunch of mamas telling me to "get over it and accept responsiblity for it and move on", supportive at all! I have carried the weight
of responsiblity for it for two + years... and I know that the "get over it and move on part" comes from passing a bit of that weight around to other responsible parties and giving myself more healing and less "responsiblity". anyway..>>

I know you said you wouldn't come back to this thread but I hope you peek in.

First, I have felt like you have. And yes I got over it. I think that is healthy. To move past the tough situations in our life, the horrors, and try to find meaning and life lessons. For me overcoming my first cesarean was a spiritual journey, not an ego one. You use the term failure in your posts -- that is a personal issue, one placed on you by yourself. You have chosen to wear that term in connection to yourself and your son's birth and that isn't healthy. There is no doubt a therapist would tell you to move on from that. While I don't agree with the quit breastfeeding ang go back to the work idea she had, I think there is a certain sense of finding oneself after a traumatic event.

I can tell by your posts you are angry, I even sense bitterness and only you can work through them. I like another poster, think you need some sort of counseling, only because of the references you have made about your son's birth, not viewing him as being born, and about his birthday. I find that sad, not only you but him.

I don't believe anyone here is saying you should be saying YeeHaaa over your past experience and that you should be happy it happened, if that is what you got from the many posts since your first, I think you should reread them without such defensiveness and anger. I know that I will not be happy with how things happened over 8 years ago at my first surgical birth, what I was happy about is that I did have a healthy baby and that through the years I learned many life lessons from the event that have made me a better person, a better mother.

#222 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheFence
Storm I am very glad to see you post this.

i really hope you stick around and that you really get a wonderful birth, no matter how it happens!
I think I will. I'm really working to find the point where having the baby at all is a wonderful birth. I'm not there yet, but I think I'm making progress.

Not too long ago, I'd have reacted about like edamommy to the idea that my baby is going to be born, even if it's a c-section. I've violently rejected the idea that a section is a birth...but I'm starting to come around. I've never thought that other women who have c-sections are failures, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to put that kind of burden on myself!

#223 ·
Storm Bride, I too am really glad to see you post that--it's hard to know inflection on a computer and I hoped you didn't think that I was in any way belittling your feelings-and I am flattered that you feel my questions may have helped. I too think you will have a great birth--however it happens--you will be prepared, you will know what to ask for--and best of all, if they say something just can't happen that way--you'll know differently

Kimberly, again I agree with OTF and Heavenly, the thing that saddens me most in your posts is the way you talk of your son's "birth" and his birth day being horrible experiences for you. I can't even imagine the burden that places on a child and whether you tell him that straight out ever or if you keep it in--children know. By the sounds of things you and your son both would have died without an emergency c-section--if things were truly emergent, there are a loy of things your OB needs to be doing in that 7 min between when you found out and he makes that cut, have you spoken to him about it? Is there a chance that in the 5 min that would have helped you your son may have died??? You may have died??? There is NO excuse for how you were treated after--just none, but it may just help you if you knew he didn't have time to councel you-not because he was a jerk, but because his only concern at the time was to save your life--it was afterall an emergency. As to your comment that you could not have prepared because you didn't know until 7 min before, I don'y think you actually read what I wrote. We all need to prepare for all the possibilities--thats why I said what I said about it bugging me when I hear other women on these boards say things like "yeah, then the dumb OB started talking about c-sections and I tuned him out." It's wonderful to be all for a vaginal birth, it's even better when you prepare yourself knowing positions to help when one doesn't work, we prepare ourselves for the fact that birth will hurt, we prepare ourselves for the fact that breastfeeding will be hard work, but often we don't prepare ourselves for the possibility that things will go terribly wrong and intervention will be needed. I know infant CPR--not because I expect or want my baby to require it, but because I want to be prepared should that horrible event ever present. So when you ask when could you have prepared?? Well, you could have prepared when you were preparing for your vaginal birth. Kim was talking last week about how midwives need to better prepare their clients for the possibility of transfer--so they'll know what to expect--so they won't be traumatized by the events. This is where society needs to step in--so there isn't such as separation between modern medicine and trusting our bodies, with both ends being so far apart that those at the furthest ends of each art hate and belittle and bash each other. My mother just went through chemo and radiation for breast cancer. Her oncologist referred her to a naturopath at the same time and the 2 worked together to provide my mother with truley state of the art care, truely the best of both worlds.
Kimberly, there is just so much anger in your posts, that I really don't know how to support you, I don't get the impression you want any support, you just want us to agree with you that your son was never born and you were put through a needless, hellish experience. What can we do to support you?? What do you need?? And so you know, I do need support, I come here and read when I leave a post talking about how some woman was stupid and actually made a choice to have a c-section--fact is often people don't know the facts behind that choice--I didn't feel the need to explain to everyone the many reasons that my doctor and I decided that surgery was the safest way to bring my daughter into the world--I don't feel like I should have to defend my choices--so I come here, where I can read that just because I had a c-section doesn't mean I'm a bad mother. I come here to better understand where others are coming from--obviously both Storm Bride and myself are coming away from this conversation each with new understanding of the other's position.

This conversation and your posts though Kimberly do make me think of something I went through--and it's the reason I urge you to perhaps talk to your OB (or whoever did your surgery) I've never spoken of this here and I don't want to be bashed on it, so if you feel you must bash me about it, then please just ignore I said it.
I was engaged 10 yrs ago to the love of my life, I still miss him everyday. One morning he left the house to go to a doctor's appt, he was having horrible headaches and weakness in his one arm. Like a typical man he put off going to the doctor until when that weekend the headaches were so horrible he just couldn't stand it anymore. His doctor sent him immediately to the hospital for some tests. While in their emergency room he lost consciousness. His next of kin was still listed as his father so that's who they called and told him they were airlifting him to a teaching hospital-unfortunately his dad didn't have my cell phone # and my fiance never regained consciousness. I stomped around all day pissed off because he hadn't bothered to call me and let me know how things went--after all I was worried! His cell phone was turned off--something he did often--I figured since his doctor was in his home town that he'd hooked up with some buddies and was in a bar somewhere while I sat around worried. I left work and went and tracked the dog for a good few hours--when I got home there were 14 messages on our machine from his dad telling me what happened. I jumped in the car and I don't even remember the one hour drive to the hospital he was in. When I got there he was just coming out of surgery and the doctors told us his recovery would be long and rough but he was going to be alright. An hour later (he was in a drug induced coma basically but his dad and I were aloud to sit with in the ICU) I noticed his nose bleeding, I looked down at his hand and there was blood leaking from the IV site. His dad went to get the doctors, but I already knew what had happened, he was in something called DIC where your blood stops clotting and you tend to bleed out very quickly and die (in animal medicine it is joked that that acronym means Dead In Cage) There really is nothing that can be done. Because I knew that nothing could be done, I was devastated when the doctors and nurses ran in and started working on him-shoving me out of the way--I just wanted to hold his hand, I knew I was loosing him. They however rushed him back into the OR and worked on him for 90 min. For a full year, I had nightmares, I felt I had failed him, I should have stopped them from doing that to him, I should have made them leave so he could die peacefully with his dad and I. I blamed myself, I felt that with my background--I knew better, I knew that even if they'd managed to "save" him, that since he'd just had brain surgery and was now rapidly bleeding out, he would be a vegatable--and I knew how he felt about that. So I beat myself up, I had nightmares, I even attempted suicide twice. I absolutely COULD NOT move on. In therapy I told my counceller that even when I arrived at car accidents and such--I always made someone hold the victims hand, it was important to me. She encouraged me to write a letter to the hospital, that perhaps if they knew this it would impact even one of the staff who would maybe the treat the next person a bit more gently. The head surgeon who managed his case called me, he apoligized and then he explained to me why what was done was done. Terry was an organ doner, it was something that was extremely important to him. His dad had told the surgeon that before his first surgery--as the first one only ever had a 40% chance of working. Without them rushing him back to the OR, his organs would not have been usable--and he was a young, fit healthy man of average size. His organs went to 7 different people and I KNOW he'd have hated it if I'd insisted on them leaving him with us to die in peace if it meant he couldn't donate his organs. This surgeon then went the extra mile and asked me to tell him about Terry. He said to me that he often doesn't ever get to know his patients but he realized Terry was someone very special. He told me he was sorry that nobody explained why he was taken back in. He also told me that everyone in the ICU had read the letter and it had been circulated with a note that we need to remember that the patients family is often suffering as much as the patient. So I took my anger and hopefully I made a difference--that's why I'm saying, it could be healing to you to write the hospital a well thought out letter, it shouldn't be hatefull and scolding, but it should talk of how violated you felt and still felt, it should talk of the depression you were thrown into that it seemed nobody cared about. Most importantly though, it should detail what they could maybe do better in the future--if you don't tell people what you need, often they can't help you. You say you don't feel supported here, but use a saying my dh using on me when I'm mad--It's hard to hug someone who looks like they're going to tear your head off. I'd like to support you, but I don't know how. I do think though that it has to start with you really wanting to be supported--even by people who may not feel exactly the same as you do.

#224 ·
Shannon...that story was both incredibly depressing and incredibly inspiring. I'm so happy you had the courage to contact the hospital and get some help in coping with your feelings. I can't even imagine how emotionally traumatic that experience must have been. Terry sounds as though he was a very special man.

You know...I'm crying at my computer a lot the last few days...this is good, I think.

#225 ·
Thanks Storm Bride, and by the way, I think you would be an ideal person to spearhead a c-section support group in your area. Today in the grocery store I ran into the nurse that gave me the information on it (I haven't bothered to go) and she told me this group was started 13 yrs ago by a mom who had a traumatic emerg c-section where her son actually did die. Since then it's been "taken over" by 3 other separate people and she said it regularily gets 20 people out to it. They meet once a month and they have a "team" of 10 different mothers who are "on call" to mothers who need help. She told me they even help to organize assisstance for moms who have no help after their surgery, they will get together and make sure meal are supplied and if mom needs a ride somewhere they provide it.
Just a thought, I think you'd be good at it, you are very good at expressing your feelings.

#226 ·
I think this is one of the best cesarean support threads we have had in awhile. Shannon thanks so much for sharing your story, I relate to it in so many ways and its inspiring in a sense that you took your grief and anger and turned it into something positive. Also I find it profound that you also came to see a reason for why the staff did what they did, even thuogh it greatly impacted you. I had a similar experience with my mother the day she died and reading your story it shows me how so many of us in this life have common threads.

I was reading another thread in this forum earlier today. It was discussion on birth options and the only birth options mentioned were vaginal ones. Comments were made about cesarean sections, more or less on how to avoid them and how evil they are and if you "prepare" for one, then you are not trusting the birth process. I had flashbacks to 9-10 years ago when I was preparing for a pregnancy and then became pregnant. I read so much about natural birth, how to cope with pain, and how to avoid a cesarean. As I have mentioned in past threads "I wasn't going to be one of those women" who had a cesarean section. No one in my family had a cesarean birth. I was 9.5lbs and 22in long, 15 days past my mothers due date. She had another vaginal delivery, natural actually that was fairly short of a 7lb baby. My grandmother had two children, she labored over 3 days with my mother before finally giving birth and then nearly ten years later birthed my aunt - a vaginal breech delivery. My great-grandmother had four children at home. My husbands grandmother and mother had all had vaginal deliviers too (MIL last baby was born by csection for cord prolapse, stillbirth) Between his two grandmothers they had 13 homebirths between them that included breech babies and a set of twins. I was pretty confident that I had the perfect body for birthing and that there was no way I would end up with a csection. I even proclaimed at one point (and I have heard this statement in NFL/AP forums before) that I was more than willing to accept if my baby died by refusing to have a csection. I would avoid it at all cost.

I am all for healthy fear. Cesareans are surgery, major abdominal surgery but for the most part they are safe. Yes risks are higher than a vaginal birth, but even they are small, in fact very small. I bought into the whole song and dance that if a baby was born by cesarean that they would be cut, have breathing problems, have bad apgars, not breastfeed, the list goes on and on and on. This doesnt even touch what I thought would happen to me. When I was pregnant with my daughter I would skip over cesarean section stuff, I even skipped the class the hospital offered that talked about them, and I would not entertain an alternative birthplan -- to do these things in my mind at the time would lead me to certain doom and a level of mistrust of my body.
Nothing I can say in this forum or to anyone personally face to face can describe the sense of anguish and devastation when I found out I had a transverse breech baby at the end of my pregnancy. I sobbed. I prayed. I begged. I called a local midwife and did everything she told me to do. I had reflexology. I had gentle massage done on my uterus to get her to turn. I spoke to my daughter asking her to turn.

Looking back, I realize that my anguish and devastation had nothing to do with her. It was about me. My pride for one. My confidence. I took this as personal defeat and failure. I never once at that time thought about what was best for my baby, that possibly she knew something I didn't, that maybe god/goddess was telling me something. It was personal. And still, even when faced with a cesarean birth, I did not do anything to prepare for it. In fact I tried to bargain with my OB, who said she was willing to deliver a buttock breech baby but that my baby was transverse. She said we could wait and see if she presented that way but the bigger she became, the harder that would become. *I* also didn't feel comfortable as a first time mother having a breech delivery. While I had read all about vaginal breech birth, I also was acutely aware of the danger of them and the risk of having a problem in that regard seemed more terrifying than have a cesarean. It was then and only then did I really give thought to my baby and thought about bringing her home. I abandoned the idea "avoid at all costs" and scheduled my csection.

That Monday I arrived at the hospital and instead of having a csection I asked for an ECV. My thoughts weren't on my daughter. It was on my fear of an OR, a fear of failure, and my determination to have a vaginal birth. I never looked at the big picture and I made choices that were based on my own selfishness rather than what was best for my baby. Of course the ECV, attempted three times failed, and I ended up with not just a csection but an emergency one. Unprepared. Frightened. And with no time to mentally accept that within minutes I would have a seven inch cut in my abdomen. I did not have an opportuntiy to say No.

As some of you know, my spinal failed and went into my chest, compromising my breathing and blood pressure. I was told I could not have GA because of this (the spinal being in my chest) and I felt everything. I was given mega amounts of sedatives, phenegran, zofran, and 250mg of demerol plus verset(sp) over the course of 90 minutes. I spent 75-90 minutes in the OR for my first csection. The average csection is 45 minutes, complicated ones an hour. Not only was I strapped to the table like Jesus Christ, but nurses had to lay on top of my legs because I was kicking on the table. Even with an oxygen mask on I screamed and cussed to the point that I was told other patients could hear me. My husband was kicked out of the OR when he questioned the amount of drugs they were putting in my IV -- in fact the anest. said that he would stop giving me drugs "when I stopped screaming".

The last thing I remember was a black orderly type man moving me onto a bed. I was heavily sedated by this time. I was wheeled to a L&D room to recover. Some things I remember are like a dream, and some of my memories I am not sure if they were put there by my husband or by pictures. I did breastfeed in recovery. The lacation consultant held my breast while my husband held my baby to it. I remember asking for my mother and the telephone rant in my recovery room. They say I talked on the phone but I don't recall with whom that was or what I said. Everyone held my baby before I did. Because I was so drugged and couldn't speak for myself, I was ignored. My family was so excited about our arrival and the fact she had red hair, that they didn't notice at times I was exposed from the top down to my waist or that I was bleeding so bad that the blood ran off my bed onto the floor.

Because of the problems with my spinal I had to lay flat on my back for 24hours. I was given ice chips on occassion but was not allowed to eat at all. In fact I was starved for three days before I was given any food. I had mean nurses at night. My ribs were fractured, I had bruises on my belly, on my arms and on my legs. My baby had complications from ABO incompatibility and had terrible jaundice, she was also bruised from the version and csection. She had bruises on her head and on her butt and back. When I wasn't out of my mind my OB proceeded to tell me how lucky I was that I had a healthy baby -- my uterus was deformed, a weird bicornuate, and that it was highly unlikely I would have more children and I would never have vaginal births.

There is so much more to my story than the above. I had PPD severely for nearly 9 months. I thought about ending my life. I did successfully breastfeed my baby however I suffered from PTSD. It took me nearly a year to recover. I had nightmares and panic attacks. When I had trouble getting pregnant and staying pregnant, it was an easy decision for me to adopt a child. I never wanted to experience another csection again. Ever. In this time I researched VBAC, Mullerian Anomalies, and joined ICAN. I am sure others have had better experiences with ICAN but for me it was just a stirring of the pot, more anger, more blame, etc and the "sure you can VBAC if you do x y and z".

I would hope that women listened to their bodies and not focus so much on their own ideals that they dismiss a bigger plan. My hope is that midwives will have open dialogue with their clients about cesarean births, not just to avoid them but that should they get transferred to a hospital that there are things they can request or ask for, barring no emergency situation, if they need a csection or choose one for whatever reason. My hope is that doctors will provide a safer, friendlier enviroment for those of who need, or choose to have cesareans. We should be able to get what we want and have as much contact with our babies as mothers who vaginally give birth. My hope is that doctors will support women who are good candidates for VBAC instead of worrying about their liability. All in all, I think a bridge needs to be built between the OB practices and the midwifer/birthcenter/homebirth practices until there is one, I am afraid its always going to be an us against them mentality or you are wrong and we are right. That doesn't benefit women at all, or their offspring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.