What if it ends up as an UC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-22-2005, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am planning a no intervention, hospital birth. I feel pretty confident with my care providers and very confident in my dh's ability to stand up for my wishes. But. . . I have been having very vivid dreams of delivering this baby at home, probably in my shower. It is possible that this could happen, my births went from 28 hrs, to 12 hrs to 4 hrs. So by the time I am sure that "this is it", I may be too far along to make the 20 min. drive to the hospital. I usually go from 6 cm to holding my baby in less than 40 minutes. Anyway, I have done my homework, I am confident that we would be fine having this baby UC, but because I have a normal hospital care provider, would I have to go in to the hospital? Is there any good reason for this? I do plan on talking to my doc about this at my next visit, but I would also love to hear from anyone who has experience this, or read any birth stories about this kind of situation. The one thing I am sure of, is that unless something feels wrong, I would not call 911. I don't think all that drama is necessary around a health natural birth.

Thanks for any input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-22-2005, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
geez, I'd just say stay at home and plan a UC!

If you call 911, they'll want to take you into the hospital, so it's good not to do that unless you need it.

Your doc will probably say "don't wait to come in" or "hey, we can induce you to avoid that risk!". Your doc will be wrong, of course.
#3 of 7 Old 03-22-2005, 04:04 AM

No, there's no good reason to go to the hospital unless something is wrong, at least not from your point of view. Would your care provider expect it? Probably. That is where it gets sticky. I have heard stories of people who happened to call their care provider to tell them that the baby came before they could get to the hospital, they were told they must come in, and when they refused CPS was involved. If you're worried about that, I just wouldn't call, and then when they called eventually, to say that you had the baby at home unexpectedly and a midwife or pediatrician has done the infant exam. I would think there wouldn't be much they could say about it then. Too bad, isn't it, that when we hire professional help like this, that they then feel that we should be accountable to them. What a pain.
#4 of 7 Old 03-22-2005, 02:53 PM

I wish I were in your position. I'd love to have a UC but I'm afraid DH would be very upset. I imagine I'll have a long labor and we live about 2 minutes from the hospital so there's very little chance of it happening accidentally. Good luck, and don't worry if you end up doing this on your own. You've certainly had a lot of experience delivering babies so I'm sure that everything will go well.
#5 of 7 Old 03-22-2005, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I guess my question would be: if you trust birth, I mean really trust it enough to feel good about doing an unplanned UC, why are you having an in-hospital birth in the first place? Keep in mind, I'm not attacking, I'm just exploring some stuff here.
#6 of 7 Old 03-22-2005, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Pam, several reasons for doing a hospital birth. The main one is my husband. He is vitally important to me during birth, and he is not comfortable with a home birth. If he is uncomfortable, I would be too. He is an ER nurse and unfortunately sees the homebirths gone horribly bad and the precipitous deliveries that happen on the front door of the ER. Two, our insurance doesn't cover them, there aren't even any midwives in our area that are covered on our plan. Three, we are in a rented apartment with rented furniture, not really a safe-feeling place for me.

So with all that in mind and some pretty good hospital births as well as an incredible midwife attended hospital birth, I am pretty comfortable about delivering in the hospital. I am just wanting to know the "what ifs". I will not do an induction, and have made it pretty clear to my doc not to even bother offering. They are both fine with that. Mainly I am just wondering if anyone has experienced an unplanned UC and what they did? Just call the doc and say oops? Arrange for a well-baby check in a week and promise to let them know if anything seems off?

Thanks for your input
#7 of 7 Old 03-22-2005, 06:01 PM

I would cross that bridge when I get to it.

I wasn't planning a hospital birth, but was told that having the baby before the midwife got there isn't reason to transport. I don't see why your birth would be any different.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page