Push Pal - have you seen this? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 03-23-2005, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am no medical professional but I would think that squatting would be easer and do the same thing.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#32 of 42 Old 03-23-2005, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
I have a Pushpal.

I call him DH.
:LOL

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#33 of 42 Old 03-23-2005, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerlowyn
:LOL
Yeah, well, considering I managed to kick my doula in the face and send her sprawling across the room, maybe one of these would have come in handy...

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#34 of 42 Old 03-23-2005, 05:13 PM

how ridiculous.

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#35 of 42 Old 03-25-2005, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousmockngbrd

The whole thing is just too ridiculous. I feel bad for the first woman who has the velcro straps fail and whacks herself in the face in mid-push.
That thought came to my mind, as well. Very, sad.

Noelia- mama to 4
#36 of 42 Old 03-25-2005, 03:50 PM

Quote:
When instructed to push by your physician, midwife or nurse (this will occur when your cervix is completely dilated and ready for pushing), grab the straps with each hand and pull your legs toward your shoulders. This will help position your legs for pushing. When you are told to stop pushing, you may lower your legs and relax until the next contraction. Repeat the process each time you are instructed to push until the baby is delivered.
This whole paragraph just pisses me off for so many, many reasons. :

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#37 of 42 Old 03-25-2005, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I'm more inclined to Home Depot knee pads myself!
:
#38 of 42 Old 03-25-2005, 04:35 PM

So, is the problem the Push Pal itself or the message that is on the website that implies that something like this is necessary to give birth?

I have no problem with tools at all. After all, this internet tool is sure pretty darn cool, though some would say I should be more "natural" and just go outside and talk to my neighbors. It's a personal choice. I don't think women should be belittled for choosing to use this or any other tool.
#39 of 42 Old 03-25-2005, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink
So, is the problem the Push Pal itself or the message that is on the website that implies that something like this is necessary to give birth?

I have no problem with tools at all. After all, this internet tool is sure pretty darn cool, though some would say I should be more "natural" and just go outside and talk to my neighbors. It's a personal choice. I don't think women should be belittled for choosing to use this or any other tool.
Forceps are tools too. So is a birthing stool. In fact if I am going to be using any tool in labor I would prefer it be a birthing stool or pool.

I don't think belittling women is the idea here. I have a problem with this website and other selling it that the proper position for childbirth is on the back with your legs to your shoulders. Then comments like, "When you are instructed to push." and "When you are told to stop pushing." Which implys you have to be instructed that you can't push when your body is telling you to, only when the dr tells you to. If you choose to be semi reclined and want to use the push pal I don't think its a bad thing. What I think is terrible is how the website is marketing it. Because it is so typical of the medical community. "Other positions for labor and delivery exist, please discuss which position you will be using with your caregiver." Its phrases like that that sicken me. Just goes to show you what a sad state the birthing community is in - that there are women who don't know there are other position available! Maybe this gives drs a reason not to let a partner or doula help the mother by holding her legs? Or even gives drs a reason to give less time to push. I'd probably feel totally different about the product if the website said, "For those women who choose to birth in a semi reclined position." "When you feel the urge to push just grab hold and pull back till you are done pushing." "Won't get in the way if you decide to change positions during the pushing stage."

Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#40 of 42 Old 03-25-2005, 05:37 PM

Quote:
My personal problem with the Push Pal in of itself (and I had seen the website before once, quite some time ago) is that the one way to use it is by being on your tailbone or back and that in no way promotes the more ideal positions for birthing.

My problem with the message on the website is that of course something like that is not necessary to give birth. The Dr's comments section seemed to imply that it made the delivery more convenient for the Dr's themselves by shortening the pushing stage (welllll if the moms weren't in the lithotomy position in the first place many pushing stages wouldn't be so prolonged.) Plus a "long" pushing stage all by itself isn't exactly a complication.

The mothers' comments section gave me the impression that many women are happy that they used a tool to allow them to comply to their Dr's wishes (legs out of the way, on their backs for the Dr's ease, not their own ease). The Dr/patient relationship can be a very authoritative/submissive sort of relationship when it involves birth. Many women will do whatever Dr's say short of standing on their heads because they believe it will ensure the healthiest outcome for their babies.

Quote:
The internet can be a very useful tool. But the internet has a vast amount of uses. This Pushpal has only one purpose (to facilitate delivery for the OB, I won't say for the woman because it's not usually easier to push on one's back) so isn't that sort of comparing apples and oranges?
#41 of 42 Old 03-25-2005, 05:50 PM

: :Puke

one love

#42 of 42 Old 06-24-2013, 08:45 AM

I actually think this would be a great product!  I know from experience that when having an epidural and trying to push it isn't easy.  So something besides blankets to aid in pushing would really help. Anyone know where to get these??

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page