Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh geez....just one more gimmick
#3 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 04:04 PM

I am normally outspoken and can't keep my mouth shut. This week I have seen more stupid things, heard more stupid things that for once I just have no words! The medical community is just beyond me. Hows bout we get the women off her back....thats free...no silly gadgets needed. Did you read the testamonials? OMG....grrrrr...."Correct pushing position." correct my foot! Correct for who? The dr? 8 lbs 11 oz a big baby? Dry labor? OMG....can't. read. more. too. dumbofunded.
JenVose likes this.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#4 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 04:11 PM

lol the picture looks like birth is so hard the woman has to make/force it to happen!

Thats funny but incredibly sad too because its true and is what is happening to women today : /
#5 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 04:43 PM

:Puke

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#6 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 04:46 PM

I agree with Full heart, if women weren't on their backs to give birth, this product would have no purpose!

#7 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 04:50 PM

I love it...you have to go to the hospital so someone "qualified" can deliver your baby...but then god forbid they spare a warm body to help brace your feet when they order you to push...better that you put this ridiculous thing on your legs and brace your own lazy self
JenVose likes this.
#8 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Freaky!

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#9 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 04:55 PM

This is on the product info page:

Quote:
It allows a woman to more easily bring her knees up toward her shoulders to properly position herself for pushing (called the semi-lithotomy position*).
Then, if you look at the very bottom of the page to find the footnote:
Quote:
* The semi-lithotomy position is the most common position for childbirth. Other positions for labor and delivery exist, please discuss which position you will be using with your caregiver.
: : I like how they say, "the most common" as if it's a good thing and use the phrase "properly position herself" as if other positions are wrong.
#10 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 04:58 PM

"I consider PushPal as my first choice when the 2nd stage[pushing stage] of labor is prolonged. It is easy to apply, makes it easier to push, and seems to shorten labor."
— Dr. H. Cho, M.D.

I also love this quote from the product description:

Without PushPal: Until now a woman either had to rely on one or two other people to help position her legs, or had to use her own hands, which is inherently difficult and is made worse by sweaty hands and knees, epidural anesthesia, obesity, the size of the patient's legs and exhaustion.

Yes, folks, for the millennia before PushPal came along, women had to rely on helpers to hold their legs back as they labored helplessly on their backs, like turtles.

#11 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 04:58 PM

Without PushPal: Until now a woman either had to rely on one or two other people to help position her legs, or had to use her own hands, which is inherently difficult and is made worse by sweaty hands and knees, epidural anesthesia, obesity, the size of the patient's legs and exhaustion.

Uhhhh, not if one is upright

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#12 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 04:58 PM

:LOL Xpost

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#13 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeUpMama
I love it...you have to go to the hospital so someone "qualified" can deliver your baby...but then god forbid they spare a warm body to help brace your feet when they order you to push...better that you put this ridiculous thing on your legs and brace your own lazy self
:LOL
#14 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 05:03 PM

Evergreen

The whole thing is just too ridiculous. I feel bad for the first woman who has the velcro straps fail and whacks herself in the face in mid-push.
JenVose likes this.
#15 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 05:04 PM

Well, it is the most common. They did get that right. I know women who have never even heard of giving birth in any other position. OMG, someone even had a doctor tell them it opened you up more than anything else!! Now THAT was a downright lie. Can't believe he said that! I had to tell her how it really is! Couldn't keep my mouth shut on that one!

Oh, this product is so dumb. So very, very dumb. Why don't they start making birthing chairs instead. I was thinking, I would kinda like one of those. Something about the height of the toilet! That would be cool.

"PushPal® is a breakthrough device" :

OMG, its just too much. If a woman wants to be in that position she could just put her hands behind her knees and pull on her legs without the dumb pushpal. It isn't even necessary for its own purpose!
JenVose likes this.

Stay at home wife to Jason for 7 years Mama to Larissa Mae 2 years old :, Gavin Clay 7 months :, and Neveah Ann April 24, 2005 to July 13, 2007 ED for my food allergic babe. :::
#16 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 05:12 PM

I sent them an email. It was polite. Just a suggestion not to lie and say that it promotes maximum comfort or that it is the "correct" or "best" position for labor and briefly stated why. Basicly, I suggested not lying in their advertisement. They can advertise it all they want and they have the right to say what they want but their info is definately wrong and I wanted to say something about it.

Stay at home wife to Jason for 7 years Mama to Larissa Mae 2 years old :, Gavin Clay 7 months :, and Neveah Ann April 24, 2005 to July 13, 2007 ED for my food allergic babe. :::
#17 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarajane
Oh, this product is so dumb. So very, very dumb. Why don't they start making birthing chairs instead. I was thinking, I would kinda like one of those. Something about the height of the toilet! That would be cool.
I gave birth at a freestanding birth center that had a chair exactly like that.
#18 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 05:20 PM

Ok, famous, the turtle imagery was priceless and yet depressingly true to my hopsital experience. Ouch.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#19 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With the 80+% epidural rate, it doesn't surprise me.
#20 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 08:51 PM

Between the turtle comment, smacking oneself in the face, and the lazy comment I am just pimp over here laughing! :LOL

Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#21 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 09:14 PM

AH HAHAHAHAHA !!!

Can you actually see someone purchasing this contraption and, like whipping them out in the delivery room?!
"Honey! Strap me into the Pushpal!"
#22 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a Pushpal.

I call him DH.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#23 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 09:23 PM

I don't know, I usually hate products, and of course I doubt I would actually buy something for childbirth.

BUT... I pushed in exactly this position. Laboured in lots of positions, thought I would birth squatting. But felt great on my back. And couldn't get my legs comfy. I dont think this is so bad, at least if it were free it would have been useful to me. If it fit around my chubby legs.
#24 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 10:09 PM

I don't know. I don't see it as a bad thing at all. Humans are advanced and use tools. This is just a tool.

I liked the semi-reclining position when I was pushing out John. I felt odd about it after hearing how bad it is, but my MW said it can be great - it's up to the mom. We used tools - tug of war with a sheet, for instance.

So - if moms like that tool and feel that it helps their experience, more power to them!
#25 of 42 Old 03-22-2005, 11:30 PM

What the heck is a "dry labor"?

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#26 of 42 Old 03-23-2005, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousmockngbrd
The whole thing is just too ridiculous. I feel bad for the first woman who has the velcro straps fail and whacks herself in the face in mid-push.
You crack me up!
#27 of 42 Old 03-23-2005, 01:50 AM

Well what I find odd is that they act like although this is the most common pushing position there was just no way to really achieve it before this "breakthrough product." Seriously now stirrups anyone? I gave birth twice in what I thought was called the semi-lithography position but I was much more upright than what they're showing. I wasn't quite sitting up at a 90 degree angle but fairly close. Anyway both breakaway beds had stirrups and handles. It was not at all difficult to get myself in the "proper" position and that was with epidurals. It sort of baffles my mind that they imply this is so difficult to do. I definitely agree it's not the best position to push but it's not that hard to get into with the equipment they already have. I mean that's the position they want us in so is it really a surprise they're ready for it?

Totally OT but with my natural birth of DD I was ordered to be flat on my back and that was not surprisingly quite difficult to get good force going.
#28 of 42 Old 03-23-2005, 02:43 AM

aside from my not so nice thoughts about the product, along with those lovely testimonials, couldn't they have chosen a much nicer fabric? why black with that white writing on it? they could have at the very least chosen something that was much prettier!!!
mandi

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#29 of 42 Old 03-23-2005, 03:41 AM

Ha, I didn't even really notice. Seems to me everything made for labor and delivery is just hospital like and sterile looking and that is just the way it is. They should make hospitals prettier too!

There is one that just went up close to us recently and it is very nice looking. They said it didn't really cost them extra to do it either! It was simply choosing the same shape chairs with different coverings. A different color floor other than white. No white walls etc. and it made the place so much more inviting instead of scary looking.

Yes, prettier is nice!

#30 of 42 Old 03-23-2005, 04:42 AM

They should rent out the blank space...above the logo! :LOL"Your ad Here"
Sorry, but during the pushing stage, That velcro wouldn't stand a chance with me, I'd pull those suckers right off!
I'm more inclined to Home Depot knee pads myself!

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page