Anyone have any luck with walking to induce labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-14-2005, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been regularly working out on the stationary bike this pg but not that I'm due I'm wondering if walking instead might encourage things to get started. Anyone have luck with this?
#2 of 16 Old 04-14-2005, 06:24 PM

It certainly can't hurt! Though I am of the belief that if your body isn't ready, it isn't ready. I think things like walking, sex, nipple stimulation, etc. only kick things into motion if your body is already ready.

Have a wonderful birth!
#3 of 16 Old 04-14-2005, 06:57 PM

When I walk I do feel a lot pressure in my hips and I get more contractions. It hasn't brought on labor but I think it definitely can't hurt and might well do the trick and it's good for you. Why not give it a try?
#4 of 16 Old 04-14-2005, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
One evening when I was a week and a half past my due date, I had sex, then walked three miles (which by then was a very long, tiring walk for me.) I was hoping one or both of those things would induce labor, and I did start labor later that night. Of course, I can't know for sure whether the walking had anything to do with it, but I'm sure it didn't hurt.
#5 of 16 Old 04-14-2005, 07:55 PM

Probably just a coincidence, walking didn't do it, but mini-golf did! Maybe it was all that bending down to pick up the ball, or maybe my body was just ready, but my water broke later that night.

Labor vibes to you!

#6 of 16 Old 04-14-2005, 09:24 PM

I love mini golf!! Maybe I'll give that a try--sounds like fun
#7 of 16 Old 04-14-2005, 10:48 PM

I saw my midwife today and she said to have sex and walk. I was due yesterday. She says that if I want to do the castor oil thing at 41 weeks but to call her first to make sure she isn't busy. Apparently it always works on her patients. I was interested in hearing the way she has them do it. Never heard it this way before but she said that to do the castor oil to have an ounce in ice cream with half a wine cooler, then have another ounce with some ice cream an hour later (no cooler), then an hour later again with the rest of the cooler. (having a hard time remembering if it was an ounce each time but I am pretty sure)

Stay at home wife to Jason for 7 years Mama to Larissa Mae 2 years old :, Gavin Clay 7 months :, and Neveah Ann April 24, 2005 to July 13, 2007 ED for my food allergic babe. :::
#8 of 16 Old 04-15-2005, 10:02 AM

I have no idea whether walking helped or now; I may have been ready to go on my own anyway. But the night my membranes ruptured, I had just gotten back from a long uphill walk. I had already been having mild contractions anyway, though.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#9 of 16 Old 04-15-2005, 10:26 AM

Well, I havent had walking induce my labors, but both times it did help "augment" them. I went for at least a 2 mile walk in early labor with each baby and afterwards my contractions did get stronger & more regular. The births happened at about 14 and 9 hours after the walks.

Also, I believe that walking helped finally get my miscarriage going in 2003. I had been waiting for it to happen naturally (this was almost 3 weeks after fetal demise) and one night I went for a long bike ride, then even longer walk. When I got home I had finally begun to cramp and bleed.

Anyways sorry I got a little OT, dont know if this is the place to put that since we are talknig about life and not death.
#10 of 16 Old 04-16-2005, 03:56 PM

With my last baby, it was 2 weeks until my due date, but I was enormous and desperately ready to have the babe. My MIL got tired of listening to me whine, so she dragged me to the mall and made me walk for 3 hours. Early the next morning, I was in labor. He was 8 lb 6 oz, so he was definitely ready to come.

Good luck!
#11 of 16 Old 04-17-2005, 02:16 PM

Well, with my DD labor began the day my sisters were in town and we went shopping. We did a LOT of walking, I had contractions several times during the day, and began labor that evening. I think the walking helped a lot, but I think a lot of it had to do with me not doing any kind of walking or even much moving around until then, too.
#12 of 16 Old 04-17-2005, 06:42 PM

I had been having some contractions every night for a week but none too intense- I went for a semi-long, fast walk and that night I went into labor!

but I'm sure having lots of sex didn't hurt either

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#13 of 16 Old 04-17-2005, 10:42 PM

i keep trying to walk this baby out, but apparently he is the one to decide when. i can make myself totally lame from walking all day, and still come home to nothing more than rough nights sleep because my hips ache, pubic bone hurts, and i run to the bathroom thinking i have to pee or poo every time i have a contaction. all for a week now.
i think that when i have truly released my fears, then he will be ready.
#14 of 16 Old 04-18-2005, 05:14 AM

I walked and walked... #3 was still 9 days late; walking did nothing but kill time.

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#15 of 16 Old 04-18-2005, 09:36 AM

It has done nothing with my 3 labors... lol so I just rest now
#16 of 16 Old 04-18-2005, 06:17 PM

I worked out pretty much every day (power walking & weights) through both pg....didn't bring anything on for me, but probably because my body was used to it (??) I went a few days before my EDD with both though, and I was in good shape for labor and birth...it can't hurt!!

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page