How much does labor hurt? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 74 Old 04-16-2005, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so confused!
My third trimester starts on Monday, so giving birth to my #1 is not around the corner, but i have heard so many confusing informations about the pain itself i don't know what to think...

I hope you are gonna share your experiences here!
Thanks!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#2 of 74 Old 04-16-2005, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For most people, there is pain. But it's not pain like your arm has just been sawed off or anything. The pain comes and goes, and slowly builds in intensity, so you have time to get used to it. It is like a huge menstrual cramp that stretches from hip to hip and radiates into your back. Along with the cramp is tightening and sensations in your cervix.

I won't sugar coat it. It hurts. But it was also a really empowering experience. It's pain with a purpose. The pain ends, and you get a gorgeous baby to show for it.
#3 of 74 Old 04-16-2005, 05:50 PM

I'll be honest... it hurt SO BAD. Well... okay, the contractions were terrible. Baby was NOT face up, however I still had very bad back labour. It was definitely bearable at first... but they still were trying to make me walk the hospital hallways during transition. That was rough. I ended up on my knees on the floor trying to get through contractions. During transition they were very painful. The worst was in my back. I guess some people dont have back labour, though....

Anyway... pushing was WORSE. Wow. It was the most horrible thing I have ever experienced. I never want to do it again. It felt absolutely impossible. My baby came out with her hand on her cheek... I guess that made it more difficult than usual. My labour was only about 5 hours, and I think I only pushed for.. 15 minutes? But it was the hardest thing I have ever done.

I'm sorry that I had nothing good to tell you.
#4 of 74 Old 04-16-2005, 05:59 PM

Mine was bearable until the very end when she transcended and it was to 10 cm.Then I just screamed,by that time my epidural wore off.But then when they let me push it felt better and then after pushing and finally getting her out everything was fine,it wasn't as bad as people kept telling me it would be.For every woman it is different.
#5 of 74 Old 04-16-2005, 06:24 PM

My last two births were pitocin induced, which they say is very painful. Granted, it was uncomfortable... and being stuck in a bed and not able to move doesn't help- but I found the pain to be totally tolerable and bearable by focussing, breathing, and just accepting. I think fighting, clinging to things, and trying to avoid the pain is going to make it more intense. But literally letting it go and just managing each contraction made it completely managable. I guess maybe like evry intense cramps- not like being injured or anything.

Really, it will be ok- just remember to accept it and breath through it. Dow hatever it is that helps get through the contraction.
#6 of 74 Old 04-16-2005, 06:28 PM

nak

Labor hurt. It was like an intense hug around my belly and up into my back - squeezing and getting tighter and more intense. The pain would radiate from my right leg into my back and then be gone. I took each contraction one at a time and didn't loose my head. They come like waves and leave without a trace. There is time to recover and prepare for the next, whether it be a minute or 15 seconds.
When it was over, I was ready to do it again (after a nap, of course )
#7 of 74 Old 04-16-2005, 07:02 PM

It is definitely different for every woman, that's why you get so many conflicting stories. I had a 13 hr labor *sounds scary, but it really isn't.* When I first went into labor, I was scared, not because of the pain, but because my EDD was 5 weeks away, so I was scared for my ds. (He turned out to be only 3 weeks early, so not so bad!) My labor didn't hurt until my OB broke my water after I was 7 cm. I gave birth kneeling and without meds and pushed for 15 min. You should read about natural childbirth and try for no meds if you can. But you should definitely not recline or lay on your back during labor or delivery! It's bad for baby and part of the reason why c-sections are becoming more and more common due to fetal distress. It's also bad for you, as it makes your uterus work against gravity (uterus leans forward during contractions) and it also makes it more painful and you're more likely to have to have an episiotomy or tear badly. The nurse tried to make me recline while I was in labor, I even tried it, and I felt like it was more painful and I felt so out of control in that position. If I were to go back and do it again, I would have a home birth and not have my water broken!

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#8 of 74 Old 04-16-2005, 07:15 PM

In my experience, the pain was totally a result of my perception, and also the support I received.

For my first birth, I had "prepared", in that I took Bradley classes (with a very poor instructor) but I was still very scared going in, as it was a whole new experience. I ended up gettting pit, which caused me to panic, which caused a whole cascade of stuff to happen. I was scared, and as DH had never been through a birth either, he wasn't prepared to assist me in the way that I needed. So, that birth was a VERY painful birth. I ended up getting an epi, and DS was born less than an hour later. That birth just boiled down to the fact that DH and I were completely unprepared for the reality of labor.

For my 2nd birth, after the trauma of my first birth, DH and I were COMMITTED to going au naturale 100%. DH read and read and read about birth, we attended Bradley again, (with a MUCH MUCH MUCH better instructor), we had a doula, and we actively avoided any interventions that led to the disaster from the first birth. (My water had broken and labor didn't start, so we took measures to avoid that this time.)

Let me tell you, the experience from my 2nd birth was SOO different from my first. My labor lasted just 2 1/2 hours, and honest to goodness, there were just 2 contractions that were just absolutely horrid. Then immediately after those 2 contractions was the first pushing contraction, and that felt good! DH was WONDERFUL during labor, and said exactly everything I needed to hear, and did exactly everything I needed him to do. I'm 100% positive that his support throughout labor is what made it seem so managable and bearable. Really, it was just those last 2 contractions that I recall any pain.

I really think the key to pain management is having a LOT of great support!! (Incidentally, since my 2nd labor lasted just 2 1/2 hours, our doula didn't even get there until I was pushing! :LOL But DH was so wonderful during labor, I tease him that he ought to become a doula!)
#9 of 74 Old 04-16-2005, 07:26 PM

I had what I consider an odd labor. It was 63 hours long due to complications from my first birth (cesarean). Labor itself was not horribly painful, honestly. It was hard, but not that bad. Transition was worse, because I felt like I didn't get a break. Pushing sucked. I pushed for 2 hours. It sucked. Crowning and the birth - ouch! I was in a good position with good support and massage, and still had two 3rd degree tears. But I didn't notice them for about a week because of the nasty hemorroids. So, for me, the recovery was the worst. I didn't have anything to look forward to (baby was already born!) so I just felt ouchy.

But - of course it's worth it!
#10 of 74 Old 04-16-2005, 07:39 PM

I did a thread about this somewhere else as a general discussion and here was one interesting article someone posted
From www.maternitywise.org:
Quote:

How does labor pain differ from other types of pain?
Labor pain differs from other kinds of pain in ways that make coping easier. Labor pain:

* is not a symptom of injury or illness: When pain signals that something is wrong, anxiety can increase painful sensations. Labor pain, however, is simply a sign that your body is working hard and well.
* is self-limiting: Labor rarely takes more than 24 hours.
* is rhythmic: Contractions last no longer than a minute or so and come in a regular pattern with one to several (usually) pain-free minutes in between them. This means you can predict and prepare for each contraction and rest between them.
* intensifies gradually over time: Contractions almost always start off mild and gradually grow longer, stronger, and closer together, thus allowing you time to adapt.

What is labor pain like?
The experience of labor pain varies markedly from woman to woman. It can also vary for the same woman in different parts of the labor and from one labor to another.

Nearly all women experience lower abdominal pain during contractions. Many also experience low back pain, either with contractions or, less often, continuously. Women may also feel pain throughout the belly; in the hips, buttocks, or thighs; or in some combination of these locations. Pain may radiate from front to back, back to front, or down the thighs. It may be felt in several areas at once or just in one specific place. Words women use to describe their pain include: cramping, sharp, aching, throbbing, pressing, and shooting. Pain intensity varies widely and generally increases as labor progresses.

The sources and sensations of pain are different in the dilation and pushing phases of labor, and your experience may differ substantially as well. The pushing phase may be less painful.

Some women reporting intense labor pain prefer not to describe their pain in negative terms. This suggests that the sensation and interpretation of pain may be distinct from each other. There are various reasons why this may be so.

What factors affect my experience of labor pain?
Pain is widely viewed as being nothing more than the perception of unpleasant sensation. The reality, however, is much more complex. Your experience of pain depends on many factors, including:

* your belief in your ability to cope: Confidence in one's ability to cope with the pain strongly influences how much pain women report experiencing in labor. Overall, more confident women report less pain.
* societal expectations and beliefs about labor pain: A woman's experience of labor pain and what she thinks is necessary to remedy it are influenced by popular and cultural beliefs, including images in the media.
* your labor environment: Elements affecting how much pain you experience include:
o who is with you
o their verbal and nonverbal communication with you
o the quality of support you receive
o the philosophy of care and the practices of medical staff
o the familiarity and comfort of your surroundings, including noise, lighting, and temperature.
* your previous experience with pain: If labor is not your first painful experience, you are less likely to feel overwhelmed and more likely to have developed coping skills. These experiences can reduce fear and pain.

Does pain relief make for a satisfying birth experience?
True or false: "If you have total or nearly total relief from labor pain, you will be very satisfied with your childbirth experience"? Many women and maternity caregivers may answer "true." However, women's labor pain experiences are often quite different from other experiences of physical pain. Labor pain need not involve suffering, and it can bring a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment.

When a woman feels she is successfully meeting a challenge and that she is the center of loving attention, she may experience a sense of exhilaration and zest even while in great pain. If she feels helpless and unable to cope or that people are not treating her with respect, she will suffer regardless of her pain level.

Pain and pain relief play at best a minor role in satisfaction ratings, except when expectations go unmet. Women are most likely to feel satisfied with their births when they feel a sense of accomplishment and personal control and when they have a good relationship with caregivers. A good relationship includes such elements as being treated with kindness and respect, getting good information, and being given the opportunity to participate in decisions about care. (The page on best evidence about pain relief provides support for this important information.)

What factors affect my choice of pain relief options?
Your choice of pain relief options is limited by where you decide to have your baby:

* type of birth setting:
o If you choose to have your baby in a hospital, as opposed to a birth center or at home, you will have access to pain medication, but may have very limited help with drug-free methods. Most women who give birth in U.S. hospitals use one or more types of pain medication.
o If you choose to have your baby outside of the hospital, a much wider array of comfort measures and non-drug techniques are likely to be available, but epidural analgesia is never an option and injected narcotics (also called opioids) are usually not available.
* hospital practice patterns: You are much more likely to have epidural analgesia if you have your baby in a hospital where epidurals are the norm than in one where they are not.
* hospital size: Epidural has become the leading method of labor pain relief in hospitals handling a large number of births. By contrast, narcotics are more common than epidurals in hospitals where fewer women give birth. (View trends in use of labor pain medications in the U.S.)

What explains this variation in available options?

* caregiver beliefs:
o The staff in larger hospitals that train residents and serve women at higher risk are more likely to take a high-tech approach to birth, including preference for epidural analgesia.
o Hospital caregivers in general are more likely to believe that labor pain is best managed by medication of some kind.
o Out-of-hospital caregivers tend to view pregnancy and birth as normal events that rarely require medical intervention, including pain relief drugs.
* staffing and equipment: Large hospitals usually have anesthesiologists available at all times, which tends to promote epidural use. Many smaller hospitals don't, making narcotics, which can be administered by nurses, the order of the day. The administration, monitoring, and possible complications of an epidural cannot be handled outside of the hospital. Some birth centers offer narcotics, but most out-of-hospital practitioners regard the need for pain medication as reason for hospital transfer.
* economics: Hospitals with around-the-clock anesthesiology services have an incentive to spread the cost of these services over many procedures and may encourage epidurals. Staff time is an economic factor as well. Once epidurals become the norm, support for other options often falls off because it is most efficient to have a similar routine for all. Unmedicated women also require a different set of skills and need more time-intensive nursing attention.
* women's preferences: In many U.S. birth settings, women appear to be given limited information about pain relief options and to have limited choice among various options. Nonetheless, many who use hospitals prefer pain medications, and many who use out-of-hospital settings prefer drug-free methods.
#11 of 74 Old 04-16-2005, 07:58 PM

Labor as already said is different with everyone. Even with each birth. I've had back labor twice and that hurts more in my opinion. For me my labor always came on very fast and thankfully were always short(my first was a little under 4 hours.) The urge to push is very strong and pushing actually feels good. While breathing and everything really helped me when the time came, so did yelling. I'm so glad that I never had a doctor to tell me to hush like I have seen on tv.

Wife to yikes2.gif and mama to: dd(14) lol.gifds(12)ROTFLMAO.giftwin ds'(10)twins.gif 

#12 of 74 Old 04-16-2005, 08:01 PM

It's different for everyone, as so many have pointed out.

Given that, it was the absolute worst pain in the entire world, for me. It was like being in a long, dark, unceasing tunnel of pain with no end in sight. Baby? I could barely think that there was a point to all of this, that there would be something positive at the end.

Given that, I am so scared of flying, that everytime I'm on a plane, I think, "I'd rather be in labor."
#13 of 74 Old 04-16-2005, 08:10 PM

I have no idea how much it will hurt for you. But I can tell you that my labors don't hurt until transition. I labor just fine until about 8 cm without even a groan. The cramps and twinges and squeezes feel uncomfortable sometimes, but I've had worse when I was on my period. Plus, they always come to an end. Once they start coming close together and stronger, I sometimes get blindsided by them. When I'm not focused and prepared for the sensation, I tend to feel pain and get whiny.
But water takes away about 80% of that pain for me.
And then, the pushing part hurts for me. Some people say it doesn't hurt at all and they love it. It's the only part, for me, that I would call painful.

Do you know what's worse? The pains AFTER the birth. But they aren't as bad after the first birth, so you probably don't have to worry much about that.
#14 of 74 Old 04-16-2005, 08:19 PM

okay i have to say it here...it's a fun pain. it hurts like H#LL, but it's such a good hurt because it is productive pain, not pathological. so it does feel good, in an incredibly painful way. my root canal hurt so much more than my birth b/c my body knew that wasn't supposed to happen. and it doesn't manufacture "protective" hormones for it like the ones in birth that make you able to do it and able to bond and able to forget the pain IMMEDIATELY after you see that baby's face.

with #1 it was awful in every way - hospital birth with induction, drugs that didn't even take so just got in the way, lethotomy position, strangers, fluorescent lights and of course, NO preparation. so that one hurt in unhappy ways. but number 2 was testament to the fact that mother nature/god takes care of us when we do it the way it should be done.

#2 was a homebirth - i was in a lot of pain when labor kicked in and was miserable, until i got into the tub after i realized it was not more false labor that was going away. i labored in an aquadoula tub, pushed him out on the bed b/c i couldn't get into a good position. i took hypnobirthing classes and even with the true modicum of practice i had done beforehand, i was easily able to bring myself to a place of peaceful pain for the experience. each rush was really that - a rush. the only part that was PAINFUL in a really big way that i couldn't be too positive about was the actual crowning and that was over so fast. time distortion helps tremendously. and he was a 10 pound baby with a 16 head.

don't fret - the pain can be so enjoyable if you let it be. some women don't even experience pain. i was shooting for that, but when the time came, i let myself ride with the pain and it was beautiful.
#15 of 74 Old 04-16-2005, 08:52 PM

For me, yes it hurt, but it was really pretty manageable. Early labor didn't hurt at all - I could feel my uterus tightening if I put my hand on my belly - and the contractions were regular, every 8-10 minutes. That went on for about 9 hours. Then I slept for about 4 hours, and woke up just before my water broke. Aftter that, the intensity increased gradually over the next 6 hours until my daughter was born. At first, I only had to consciously relax at the very peak of each one. Later there was a very short period at the peak of each contractio that I couldn't relax through and needed to moan through. I think pushing would have gone better if I had pushed a little more gently. For me, crowning was intensely painful, but it only lasted a few seconds.

I'm looking forward to doing it again in a couple of months. That hour or so after I saw my baby for the first time was the most exhilarated I've ever felt.
#16 of 74 Old 04-16-2005, 09:10 PM

The description reader gave was the closest to what I experienced. My water broke first. My first contraction didn't come for an hour, and they were irregular in time and intensity for the first four or five hours. I spent most of my first stage at home - when I went to the hospital, I was at 7cm. I do remember one contraction before we left home that was intense enough for me to think, "I hope it doesn't get much worse than this," but it didn't...the issue there may have been the open-endedness of labor more than actual pain level. I didn't really find that it got any worse during transition, and I actually enjoyed pushing - no drugs, so I could feel him moving down. I have big ol' peasant hips, which may have helped I never even opened the bottle of ibuprofen they gave me in the hospital. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
#17 of 74 Old 04-16-2005, 09:14 PM

My labor was incredibly, intensely painful; I did not realize that kind of pain existed before that experience. The pain was whole-body for me and did not go away between contractions, though it lessened then. I had a 20 hour labor and was in incredible pain for much of it, up until I began pushing. I was most vocal while pushing, but the pain at that point seemed a lot more manageable. JME.
But, once he was out, I was totally oblivious to everything else
#18 of 74 Old 04-16-2005, 09:15 PM

I felt like such a wreck after the baby was born. Seeing the baby seemed "weird" more than anything else. I was exhausted, scared, panicked, in pain... and seeing my baby didn't make it all go away. They gave her to me right away and kept telling me to talk to her... but I just felt like I didn't even know what to do with her. I felt like I wasn't all there, at the time.
#19 of 74 Old 04-16-2005, 10:13 PM

Wow, I skimmed some of these posts and I would be freaking out about labor right about now!

I had planned to have my baby (#1) at a birth center, drug free, with midwife and doula. We took a natural childbirth class, read a ton of books (I especially recomment Ina May's Guilde to Childbirth - this is such a wonderfully positive birth, you will really start looking forward to birth and excited to take part in this process!!! I loved this book!!)

I started contractions on a Wednesday evening, very light, very faint, they didn't affect my activities at all (we ate dinner, went for a walk, cleaned up, the usual evening stuff). That Wed's night, I slept until maybe midnight, woke up, got up, wondered if it was really the real thing, decided it wasn't so bad, went back to sleep. Woke up again maybe around 3 am. When I was up and moving around, I thought it was totally rediculous to be up at 3 am, the contractions were really mild. But when I tried to lay down, they were moreintense. Just really uncomfortable, like i had a really bad belly ache that would come and go. I finally just got up and started my day early. Ate breakfast, went for an hour long walk... obviously, I was not in great pain here. I was excited, happy, looking forward to this birth, wondering what would happen next. My DS was great, very supportive, etc.

Okay, so it gets to be mid afternoon, we were watching a movie, I would have a contraction every 3 to 5 minutes, and they were starting to be intense where I had a hard time watching the movie, so I went in another room and leaned over some pillows and tried to doze. (hahaha) Still I wouldn't say anything hurt, just really uncomfortable, but WAY better as long as I was up and moving around.

Around 2 pm my water broke (that was really weird! like I just stood up from a sitting positition and there was a little pop and this liquid just dribbled down my legs, like, I don't think I just peed on myself but... ), so I went to sit on the toilet, and had my first REALLY uncomfortable contraction. Like really big belly ache. But still the discomfort just comes and goes. So at this point we call the birth center, tell 'em we're on our way, and I think I went through transition in the car (it was a 45 min ride) - so that was REALLY uncomfortable too, I wanted to be up and walking around but I had to sit in the car and I had this big bad belly aches every minute or so, it really helped me to just go with the flow and if I felt like moaning through a contractoin, to just moan through it and not care what else was going on around me.

We arrived at the birth center, walked in, answered a few questions, and within about 15 minutes I was pushing (totally involuntary, that was really cool too) about an hour later I pushed out a healthy baby boy. I don't remember the pushing or actual crowning or anything hurting at all. It was uncomfortable, very VERY intense, but I was so into it all, the whole naturalness of it (I actually kept waiting for an orgasmal birth, like some i Had read about ) and really trying to FEEL what was going on inside me. It as so cool, I could feel the baby move down, I could hear the midwife tell me she could see the head, I could hear myself make a lot of primal noises, it was like I was there and not there all at once, but I would never say it "hurt" just really super intense, not like anything you've ever experienced before.

I totally think that if you think you can do it and really really want to do it (drug free birth), and maybe having a high pain threshhold helps?, and you know what's going on and you are expecting all the feelings that happen, you can have a great birth experience. Obviously if there are complications or if you're forced to lay down (laying down would have been aweful for me, I was upright the whole time, it felt SOOO much better that way!), you could have a totally different experience. But this is YOur experience, and I am so happy to have had the entirely positive (intense but no pain) birth experience I had. I think it really helped me too, that I wasn't really expecting pain. Again, that Ina May book was great. So many positive stories, I wanted mine to be just like that, and it was!

Best wishes for quick, easy, and pain free!

(wow, I just looked at my message, that was long!)

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#20 of 74 Old 04-16-2005, 11:24 PM

There's no sugar coating it. The pain was horrendous for me and I have a high pain threshhold. You know when you get mentrual cramps that you feel in your back and legs because they are so intense? Take those times 10 and thats what labor pain is like. For me pushing was no big deal. After many many hours of labor I did 4 pushes and he was out. After I gave birth the nurses asked me jokingly "when are you having another one?" and I said "Never again" Well a year later we're planning our next one!

What helped me alot was oxygen and also allowing myself to vomit made me feel better. Also bringing videos of movies that you love.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#21 of 74 Old 04-17-2005, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Once transition hit things got pretty painful for me. I was in the hospital and wish I had been at home or had access to a tub. I sat in the shower in the hospital and the water spraying over me was nice but I would have really liked to be sitting in it. My labor pains were very low, right around/above my pubic bone area. It felt more like my bones were being pushed apart kind of pain, if that makes any sense. I was pretty tired from moving around a lot (I had several hours of back labor before DS flipped over) so by the time I was ready to push I was too tired to be up on hands and knees or squatting. It was very intense, but I've never felt more in-touch with my body.

Bottom line - yes it hurt, but it wasn't anything that I couldn't handle (though I may have said otherwise when I was in transition ). I'm glad that I didn't have meds and will do it the same way next time, though hopefully at home.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#22 of 74 Old 04-17-2005, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

I am totally freaked out! Okay, I am not really, thanks for the tons of experiences you wrote!
One more question if you still have time and energy to read and answer:
I want to go to the hospital, when shall i go if the labor starts at home? After my water broke? How did you decide when to sit into the car and go?
(Honestly, i don't want to spend the entire labor time at the hospital, i have heard that at the beginning it is so much better being at home.)
What do you think?

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#23 of 74 Old 04-17-2005, 06:43 AM

Well, let me calm you down!

I have THE lowest pain threshold around; cry at a paper cut (they HURT!); go into an absolute panic about getting blood drawn. AND I have had three babies absolutely natural, without any drugs or interventions of any kind. And it was not hard to do. I second the poster who said that it was intense but not really painful.

I grew up worrying about how in the world I'd ever have the kids I hoped for - since you hear so much about how awful labor is. I understand that many women experience it this way and I feel so sad about that.

To up my chances of a good experience, I took classes that taught me how my body works, how to help the process along instead of fight it, how to avoid interventions that lead to pain and trouble. Best decision we ever, ever made - to take Bradley classes. Do please find an instructor you click with as they are all different. (Bradley classes are NOT taught in hospitals - the rare one may include some Bradley ideas but you want the real deal! I believe the link is www.bradleybirth.com - might be .org? They are small group classes taught in the instructor's home.)

If you know what to avoid, what your options are, how your spouse/partner can help you - you are well on your way to a much easier time. It doesn't guarantee you a pain-free labor but it most certainly can reduce the pain at the very least.

Stay home as long as you can - there is a chart in Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way (by Susan McCutcheon-Rosegg) that helps you figure out where you are in labor - what to look for in many ways, not just timing and length of contractions. My contractions were the length and time between so that I should have been much closer to birth than I knew I was. They were long enough and close enough together but I KNEW (on my first baby even) that they weren't strong enough to get a baby out of me. We hung out at home til I was unsure if/when the contractions were stopping.

Walk and walk and walk (during labor). Rest between - just sit wherever you are and lean forward onto your partner's shoulder (my dh kneeled in front of me when I sat on the couch, chair, bed). Drink plenty of water, just sips every few minutes. Stay as relaxed as humanly possible - I tried to go limp during contractions. This helps immensely!!!!! You want your head, your arms, your stomach (especially your stomach!) to just HANG down as you lean forward. Have your partner stroke your arm gently (I liked down my forearm from elbow to wrist, over and over, lightly - kind of like "any stress/tightness/etc. down and out"). If things got intense, I'd just kind of chant "muscles working, muscles working" because that is WHAT IT IS! If you think "ouch! OUCH!" and tense up, it will be awful. If you go limp and let your body work, it will be so much better, I promise.

Everyone is different - listen to your body. I felt best (during contractions) to be sitting and leaning onto dh, as limp as possible. Kneeling over a birth ball. Sitting backwards on the toilet, leaning on the back. Eyes closed, going limp, thinking or saying things like loose, limp, open, over and over.

This honestly worked so incredibly well for me that I was shocked myself. Pushing was tiring but no worse than running a long way - your leg muscles "hurt" - you can feel them and you are tired but you are ok. Ring of fire at the end (as baby crowns) was a sharper feeling and really the only part of labor that I'd call painful. That is over quickly.

I have helped two of my friends through their second labors and used the same Bradley techniques I learned. I really cannot recommend it highly enough. I know I'd not have had the wonderful births I had without learning those techniques/that information.

Fear will only tense you up and that makes the pain worse. You can do it; women have done it forever. Just learn what to avoid, what to do to help yourself, how to relax, how to work with your body. You can do it!!!!!
#24 of 74 Old 04-17-2005, 07:50 AM

Let me start by saying I know I have a very high pain threshold but my labor was very manageable. I had an on again off again 40+ hr all back labor most of which I stayed home for. I did not got to the hospital until I was ready to push. I had an unmedicated birth with a pressure episiotomy and not for one second did the pushing phase cause even a bit of discomfort for me. It was just this awe-inspiring, life-changing experience with absolutely no pain. You just never know how your labor will be! I fully expect my next labor to be totally different than my first. Good luck to you! I hope you have a fantastic birthing experience!

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#25 of 74 Old 04-17-2005, 12:03 PM

Liv- congratulations on becoming a mother! I agree with many of the above posters, relaxation and confidence are the keys.

I also grew up terrified of the idea of labor and giving birth, uh uh not me no way. I would rather die. Because of movies and tv and all the screaming and drama.

By the time I was actually pregnant I had learned a lot about the strength of women around the world and throughout all of history, not just here and now. Obviously, if labor were that terrible, we would have gone extinct a long time ago.

I had a great childbirth instructor (NOT from a hospital- they teach you how to lie down, shut up, and demand your epidural) who was also a hypno-birth instructor. I homebirthed with a midwife and my hypno-birth doula, in complete confidence and very peacefully. My contractions were less than 5 minutes apart for the first 12 hours and not painful at all. It was like being squeezed just to the point of pain, then slowly released. My DH said when I had a contraction, I looked like a deflated balloon-completely limp and not moving. I was really tired, but not in serious pain. When the midwife said, if you want to have the baby, you can push whenever you want...I pushed. It hurt a lot. I said to myself, you have to do this, get it over with and you will have a baby. Yes, crowning was really, really painful, but it lasted for just a few moments.

I had more pain the next morning than through the whole labor and birth.
#26 of 74 Old 04-17-2005, 02:24 PM

I am a real pain baby, my mother went to New York instead of staying around when we had our first because she did not want to see me in labor. a hangnail like the one I have right now will bother me constantly. And yet I was fine in labor- it is a different type of pain and as someone else has said comes and goes with a rythm. I had 2 natural hospital births and 2 homebirths- key things are feeling safe- low light, don't be reading or doing math don't be responsible for filling out the paperwork. cover you head if it is too light, ask for what you need simply or get it for yourself. Get in a shower and see if that helps- I don't even really know how to talk about the quality of the pain as it is unique to birth- I know that the more fear I had and the more pain I had and the longer it took. So one of the first things to do is to surrender to labor- you are doing what you want to do, give birth to a baby.
#27 of 74 Old 04-17-2005, 02:41 PM

Take it one contraction at a time

This was the best advice anyone ever gave me! It hurts- I know there are some women who have non-painful births but for me- yes it hurt- my water broke before contractions started then after it broke they started coming one minute apart and lasting one minute long! This lasted for 18 hours- however they stalled at one point then got incredibly intense at others. BUT I just took each contraction as it came and tried to get through it- and I did- you just have to turn your brain off- don't try to reason through it- don't say "well I'm 4 cm and it took 6 hours to get here I can't do this anymore!" don't look for a way out- don't allow yourself the option of "getting an epidural if you can't take the pain" because you will end up with the epi. Most importantly remember you CAN do it- it will hurt but you are STRONG and you will be so happy you didn't get pain meds when you experience the rush of euphoria that comes after birth and lasts for a week!

also WATER- being in a pool of warm water was like heaven- it helped so much when the contractions were so intense I didn't think I could take it!

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#28 of 74 Old 04-17-2005, 02:49 PM

nak
Somebody asked me after my dd was born if labor was the most painful thing I ever felt. I said no. When I hurt my knee the previous summer it hurt worse. My contractions started out two minutes apart and stayed that way throughout my entire labor. (about 11 hours) The contrax did hurt but it was bearable pain. They didn't feel any worse during tranistion, I was just a little more emotionally fragile right then. I stalled at 9 1/2 cm for awhile and i felt pushy. They threatened me with a c/s if i pushed. That was the worst part was to not push. Once i started pushing that baby was out in an hour. i was actually surprised when a baby came out. :LOL i was totally caught up with pushing i had lost all sense of time and why i was there. it felt good to me to push. though, i didn't have a birth orgasm or anything like that.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#29 of 74 Old 04-17-2005, 02:50 PM

I would also add to my previous post that I was expecting it to be much worse than it actually was. In fact, we didn't get to the birth center until 45 minutes before my daughter was born because I kept waiting for it to be unbearable and it just wasn't. Finally, I could feel her head descending and I said "we have to go NOW" and was only there about 10 minutes before starting to push.
#30 of 74 Old 04-17-2005, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies, you just cannot imagine how inspiring and encouraging your posts are for me!
Thanks for the great advices, and keep on saying them, I am here to read and learn from you!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page