Pictures of a footling breech vaginal birth - *gasp* AT HOME! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 73 Old 05-24-2005, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beth, I just want to give you some

It is wonderful that you were there for this mom to support her and help her with her baby. There are very few birth professionals out there with the guts to trust mother nature.

Thanks for the pictures they are wonderful.
#62 of 73 Old 05-24-2005, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth ******
I know it is late to be responding to these messages but I just registered on this list.

I am the midwife who attended the woman at this birth. Sometimes we hear that the reason breech is so dangerous is that the cervix will close and trap the baby's head. Some people, myself included, don't believe that happens. The head is the largest part of the baby, that is why it is preferable for the head to be first. Therefore, it is possible to begin delivering the body before the cervix is fully open. I think that is how the heads get stuck. When she felt like pushing there was no more cervix that I could feel but the body had passed through it and I can only reach as far as my fingers will go. Many midwives try to assure that the cervix is fully dialated by waiting the hour before adding to the pushing. It is just a furthur precaution.

The color of the baby was actually very good. Be aware that neither photos or our monitors have true color. But, heads and bodies during birth can look purpleish due to restricted blood flow. White is the color we don't want to see. Blessings and happy birthing!
Those were awesome! Sounds like a great birth

OT: are midwives still illegal in Georgia? i was at a friends over the weekend and we were talking about births in Georgia (can't remember why) and someone said midwives are illegal?
#63 of 73 Old 05-24-2005, 09:03 PM

Welcome Beth!!! You are an awesome midwife!!! I say that for the successful breech birth at home alone... It is a skill being lost.
#64 of 73 Old 05-28-2005, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing....What a beautiful little girl..
#65 of 73 Old 05-28-2005, 05:28 PM

Thanks for posting. I knew it could be done!!!!!
#66 of 73 Old 05-28-2005, 06:01 PM

That is so beautiful! Here there is noone that will do breech births at all anymore. None of the midwives. Until very recently (I think within the past year), there were 2 (maybe 3?) OBs that would, but now they are not allowed to It's very sad that such important knowledge is being lost.
#67 of 73 Old 05-29-2005, 01:33 AM

Quote:
OT: are midwives still illegal in Georgia? i was at a friends over the weekend and we were talking about births in Georgia (can't remember why) and someone said midwives are illegal?
yep, homebirth midwives (CPMs, traditional midwives, etc) are illegal here... but there are several of them- at least 5 that I am aware of... it's really sad that such knowledgeable women have to be "underground" in a way here in GA

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#68 of 73 Old 09-09-2005, 06:56 PM

I actually had a homebirth with this midwife this past January. She's AWESOME!!!!
#69 of 73 Old 09-09-2005, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Awesome birth photos!!

Of course the breech baby was born at home- had the mom been in a hospital, they would have cut her open

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#70 of 73 Old 09-09-2005, 09:34 PM

I found that site while doing research for my site! I am so glad its out there!!!

I couldnt find anyone to attend my breech births and ended up having UC with Tatum (she was Frank breech though).

GREAT pics!!!
#71 of 73 Old 09-10-2005, 10:33 PM

Those were amazing photos. And what a beautiful baby!`
#72 of 73 Old 09-11-2005, 05:26 PM

Early in this thread, I noticed my breech birth story was shared:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tummy
I wanted to share a link to another double footling home birth.

double footling breech home birth - two stories, same birth
I have moved the story to a new site.
http://www.twofloridadocs.com/its_toes.php

One interesting thing about this thread is that I talked to the midwife, Beth, early in my pregnancy by telephone. I doubt she remembers. I didn't know my baby was breech. I enjoyed seeing the photos of Beth's breech delivery. They are so descriptive.

Also, Somone asked why the feet are purple. As I understand it, that is the color that our babies are in utero: the come out head first, breathe, and pink up, and so we don't think about their color. Seeing the feet purple in a still- photo certainly captures our attention because of the delay to the first breath.
Denise Punger
Treasure Coast, Florida
http://www.twofloridadocs.com
#73 of 73 Old 09-11-2005, 05:52 PM

thank you for sharing your story with us

On my ds's birth video (he was not breech) the first thing you hear after the birth is "he's purple, that's my favorite color" from my dd (4)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page