What is the most outrageous thing someone has said... - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-13-2005, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221
Yeah, and isn't the pain steady w/ a stone? At least w/ labor, you get a little break in between the pains!
Oh yeah, it's steady and relentless! I had a horrible experience at the ER; I went because I had NO idea what was going on. I was still nursing DD #4 and hadn't gotten a period yet, so I thought maybe I was miscarrying (thankfully, I've never miscarried) so I ha no idea how that felt. Since I had no bleeding, I had to check it out. The stupid ER doc told me I was "fine" and to calm down. Keep in mind that even without pain meds, I was quiet during my labors...that's how I deal with pain. However, while passing this horrible stone, I was moaning and crying a LOT. It took me longer to pass that stupid stone than to deliver all four DDs combined!!

I passed the frickin stone in the ER bathroom by myself in the d*mn urine sample they FINALLY took from me; my urine was full of blood and crystals. The ER doctor told my personal doctor that she thought I started my period when she saw the blood in my urine...DUH! I just told her I didn't have my period yet! I think after four children I know which exit your period comes from, idiot! That moron has yet to explain the crystals and black "stone" also found in my urine!! Sorry to rant; it's just another example of some doctors who still think women are "hysterical and just need to calm down."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2005, 09:54 PM

I almost died the day an old friend of mine asked if I'd had a natural childbirth, in regards to my homeborn dd. I said, "Yeah, how about you?" She said, "Yeah, I had a natural childbirth too, but needed the epidural." :

WIC told me to wean my dd (now 4 1/2 months) to maintain my new pregnancy (yay, we're due Januray 24th of 2006). Dumb wic people.

I was walking up the street, wearing dd in the sling and holding ds's hand, we were on the way to a park. I ran into my friend's cousin (an acquaintence of mine) and she asked me where my diaper bag was. I said, "Home, why?" She replied, "Well, where do you keep your daughter's bottles?" I said, "In my shirt!" :LOL
Old 05-14-2005, 12:53 AM

I don't say "natural" birth any more because now it seems that any baby that comes out a vagina is a "natural" birth. You can have induction, augmentation, monitors, pethidine, epidural, episiotomy and forceps and it's still a natural birth. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I call it a normal physiological birth now
Old 05-15-2005, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4girls
4. With all four the nurses asked me to "hold off pushing" so they could get me the epidural; there's "NO WAY" you will make it without the epidural...HUH??? Who are they kidding? My DDs were CROWNING for God's sake! DH literally laughed and said "try and stop her". :
Sounds to me like they were hoping for an epidural so that they could 'shut you down' until your caregiver arrived!
Old 05-15-2005, 02:09 AM

re: pregnancy - my 80 y.o. MIL advised me that i should not gain more than 20 lbs and i should not sleep any more during pregnancy than i normally would - or i would end up with a "lazy baby."

i'm sure i can think of more of them - i'll get back to you!
Old 05-15-2005, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by my4girls
I told the nurse I'm going to push; she refused to believe I was ready, so I just lifted my own legs and what did she see??? I crowning head full of black hair that would be DD #1!! She was born 30 seconds later! The rest of my labors were very similar. The nurses never doubted me again!! :LOL

4. With all four the nurses asked me to "hold off pushing" so they could get me the epidural; there's "NO WAY" you will make it without the epidural...HUH??? Who are they kidding? My DDs were CROWNING for God's sake! DH literally laughed and said "try and stop her". Needless to say, DDs slid out quickly; no problem for this little "skinny" mama!
You are lucky your children were not born in the 1930s, 1940s, or 1950s, as it was customary for nurses to hold the mother's legs shut until the doctor arrived.

This resulted in, surprise!, many babies being born with some degree of oxygen depravation and, therefore, brain damage.

A baby is born when he/she is ready.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 05-15-2005, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetF
I don't say "natural" birth any more because now it seems that any baby that comes out a vagina is a "natural" birth. You can have induction, augmentation, monitors, pethidine, epidural, episiotomy and forceps and it's still a natural birth. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I call it a normal physiological birth now
yeah I say unmedicated, or intervention free.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice
You are lucky your children were not born in the 1930s, 1940s, or 1950s, as it was customary for nurses to hold the mother's legs shut until the doctor arrived.

This resulted in, surprise!, many babies being born with some degree of oxygen depravation and, therefore, brain damage.

...or in the 90's: The lady I nannied (nanny-ed?) for had this happen to her. Long story short: she was pushing her baby out, nurse said not till the Dr came, and held her legs shut. The baby was coming out one way or another, and chose "another"... She ended up needing anal (or would it be colon?) reconstructive surgery. Not to mention that the baby suffered from this experience too... he had severe behavioral problems that were probably linked to that. :
Old 05-15-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messac888
I was walking up the street, wearing dd in the sling and holding ds's hand, we were on the way to a park. I ran into my friend's cousin (an acquaintence of mine) and she asked me where my diaper bag was. I said, "Home, why?" She replied, "Well, where do you keep your daughter's bottles?" I said, "In my shirt!" :LOL

Great comeback! :LOL

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Old 05-15-2005, 12:48 PM

these stories are just blowing me away.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 05-15-2005, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice

: That's horrible!!!
Old 05-15-2005, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateana
...or in the 90's: The lady I nannied (nanny-ed?) for had this happen to her. Long story short: she was pushing her baby out, nurse said not till the Dr came, and held her legs shut. The baby was coming out one way or another, and chose "another"... She ended up needing anal (or would it be colon?) reconstructive surgery. Not to mention that the baby suffered from this experience too... he had severe behavioral problems that were probably linked to that. :

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:15 AM

last night a friend of mine told me that "if a baby spits up a lot it means they are overfed, especially if they are breastfed." : oh my... i can't say i've EVER heard this from a reliable OR unreliable source. she, of course, heard it from a friend of hers. my friend is pregnant and is soaking up her friends' advice like a sponge.

anyone met those type of people that you don't even TRY to argue with, because they are so far gone?! i was too tired to argue it, and felt like common sense should say her remark was stupid, so if her common sense didn't tell her she was crazy, then neither would my arguments.

carrie
Old 05-16-2005, 12:08 PM

I don't get any of those great lines.. i'm afraid i get stuck with the
"do you know what it is?" .... my response "hopefully a baby i don't have patience for another dog"

"wow how many are in there?.... response "last ultrasound there were 10, but they multiply daily" ( i have only ever had singleton pg)

" if you get much bigger you're going to explode" ... reasponse "i hope not i still have 6 months to go"

i think the only outrageous thing i have really heard was during my first pg when i met another pg girl who informed me that babies needed formula or they would die. I may not have known much, but i knew enough that the human race lived for centuries before formula was created.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mama2girls+1?
"do you know what it is?" .... my response "hopefully a baby i don't have patience for another dog"

"wow how many are in there?.... response "last ultrasound there were 10, but they multiply daily" ( i have only ever had singleton pg)

" if you get much bigger you're going to explode" ... reasponse "i hope not i still have 6 months to go"
:LOL I am gonna have to use those next time I hear one of those lines.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymama
re: pregnancy - my 80 y.o. MIL advised me that i should not gain more than 20 lbs and i should not sleep any more during pregnancy than i normally would - or i would end up with a "lazy baby."

i'm sure i can think of more of them - i'll get back to you!

That reminds me of a friend who was telling me about a mother who made her baby mentally handicaped by thinking angry thoughts while she nursed him. I guess it soured her milk by thinking bad thoughts and it made her nursing baby handicaped. WOW!
Old 05-05-2006, 09:07 PM

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
Old 05-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mama2girls+1?
"do you know what it is?" .... my response "hopefully a baby i don't have patience for another dog".
I told my niece it was a puppy, thinking she would get the joke, kwim? Well, when I brought the baby to meet her, my 3 yr old niece looked me in the eyes and said, "That ain't no puppy, Aunty." and then walked away shaking her head. :
Old 05-05-2006, 11:01 PM

When people ask me "Do you know what it is?" I say, "I'm hoping it's a baby because a zebra would tear my vagina with it's hooves." Mentioning the V word normally shuts them up pretty quickly... That and the HORROR of me not having ANY u/s... :
Old 05-06-2006, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Ha! My dad keeps saying the same thing to me about my 2-month old!!! He keeps saying stuff like "that boy is so big! You're going to have to break the 4-6 month rule with him and feed him cereal earlier, or he'll be eating every 15 minutes!!!"

OK... that makes sense, dad... umm, if he's so big, do ya really think he's not getting enough food, and also, uh, do I have anything MORE IMPORTANT to do right now than feed my baby??? So what if he wants to eat every 15 minutes? Isn't that what maternity leave is for??? :LOL

Somtimes I think people can't wrap there head around the fact that breastmilk is food.It isn't just a drink it is food. My dad is like that telling me that baby has to eat all the time. Like I'm not feeding her becuase she doesn't get solids. DOes that make sense?
Old 05-06-2006, 12:07 AM

My boss was horrified that I planned on a drug free birth. When I told her that I would be having a waterbirth, she said "but pregnant women can't get in hot tubs". My response, "but they can take narcotics?" Some people just don't think!

Shelley
Old 05-06-2006, 12:09 AM

Quote:
She proceeded to explain to me how lying on your back was the best position for 2nd stage because that way, you weren't pushing the baby out against the force of gravity!!
huh?????

Quote:
WIC told me to wean my dd (now 4 1/2 months) to maintain my new pregnancy (yay, we're due Januray 24th of 2006). Dumb wic people.
They told me that too but at least I was nursing a 13 month old I can't imagine being told to wean my 4.5 month old.

I also have to say were are these ladies DP when the nurses are holding there legs shut. If my husband let a nurse to that to me we'd be divorced.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
My Mom wouldn't give me a babyshower with my first daughter because, "Nobody would come." (Because the baby's father wasn't white.).
I would!!
Old 05-06-2006, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyd
My boss was horrified that I planned on a drug free birth. When I told her that I would be having a waterbirth, she said "but pregnant women can't get in hot tubs". My response, "but they can take narcotics?" Some people just don't think!

Shelley
But, the doctors wouldn't give us epidurals, if they didn't know they were safe for the baby!! Of course drugs during labour are different...the doctor said so. The medical profession hasn't given us such assurance about waterbirth, and if it's not safe during pregnancy, it's not safe during labour. (BTW, I was under the impression that the water in a birthing pool was warm, maybe even very warm, but I didn't think it was a hot tub. Was I way off?)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 05-06-2006, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetF
When people ask me "Do you know what it is?" I say, "I'm hoping it's a baby because a zebra would tear my vagina with it's hooves."
I haven't laughed as hard as I just did in a really long time. All I can keep picturing is the faces of all those nosy people who try to tell me I NEED to find out the gender. This is such a fabulous comeback. I think I may have to use it!
Old 05-06-2006, 09:19 AM

From a pregnant former co-worker, "I can't breastfeed this baby, because i dried up last time, and there may be dry milk in there still." (ahhh so that is where powedered milk comes from DOH!)

I had 2 births where my kids were born vaginally and both were just barely over 7 pounds, and did so with out tearing or episotomies. I was talking to a friend of mine that had 2 kids too, both of hers were just under 6 pounds and she had tearing that required stitches. I told her that I didn't know what it was like to have stitches. "WOW, you must have a huge vagina" came her response. Yeah that took the wind out of my sails!

"...and here we have the Grand Vagina Canyon. Hear the echo echo echo echo echo..."

After a friend had her 4th C-section, she told me that the doctor jokingly told her if she had another that he'd give her a tummy tuck for free with the next C-section, and she thought it was funny.....I didn't laugh, so she told it to me again in case i didn't hear it the first time..I didn't know what to say so i let out a meak haw haw.

Former supervisor asks me when I brought my newborn into work, "So how long do you have to breastfeed before you can give her a bottle with formula?" ...Ah, I pick, never on that one.

My aunt who is a pediatric dental chair side assistant, and dental educator, who loves to rant about kids with "bottle-mouth" "Eww gross, I don't see how you can breastfeed!"......mKay....

My best-friend (who went through 2 unmedicated vaginal births and 1 unmedicated episiotomy because all drugs make her puke) upon learning that I really want a homebirth if i am blessed with #3 "Are you going to be all hippie-like and hug trees and then be all zen-like and sit crossed legged and hum? Can I be there to see it come out of your whoha? Do we have to chant, though?" ....well I guess if homebirthing means that i am a hippie, then it is a good thing that I like the Grateful Dead and wear tie-dye and hemp. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Karin, Wife to Dear Sweet English Husband~Soon to be Legally American. Mom to Zach~13, Lily~9, Alex~2, and Izzy or Zeke arriving July 2010! Living a life full of LOVE!
Old 05-06-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia
Definitely stop sex before crowning.
That's what the soft spot's for.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzardbits
....well I guess if homebirthing means that i am a hippie, then it is a good thing that I like the Grateful Dead and wear tie-dye and hemp. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Yesterday I ended up sitting next to some guy in class who seemed to think is was his duty to interrogate me about my pg (well, have you talke dot the schoo?! You need to talk to someone so they know what's gong on!?) Dude, MYOB!

I figured since he was just SO interested that I'd answer his questions and he lerned way more about homebirthing than he ever cared to know. This is a childless, male, law student in his early twenties who doesn't have a gf and knew literally nothing bout birth. He assured me several times that after doing it at home I'd regret it and be ready to do things "normally" next time. Glad you know so much guy.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:32 PM

Last week, hen DH and I went to the store where we both used to work, his evil ex-boss who found an excuse to get him fired bc he asked her to stop making obscene and racist jokes came up to us and started not only folndling my belly, but repeating over and over that "yep, it looks like a boy to me!"

What exactly, looks like a boy?

After that i'm just hoping the u/s was right and it's a girl.

Freakish know-it-all.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma
I was told by a group of Indian women at a cultural event that dh and I attended, "I think your baby must be a girl. Yes, a girl. Girls will steal a mother's beauty when she's carrying."
I hadn't ever heard this, but with my boys I was beautiful and glowing. And with my daughter I looked awful. I had this awful rash on my face and my skin was all sallow and the list goes on!

User Tag List