What is the most outrageous thing someone has said... - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 299 Old 05-08-2006, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mother blamed me for the rest of her life for being "10 days late" and causing her a massive 19 hours of labour from membranes rupturing spontaneously to me being ripped out with forceps. Mustn't speak ill of lovely doctors who make us lie on our backs in labour, must we?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 299 Old 05-09-2006, 01:21 AM

I guess I should be glad my mom never blamed me (well only in a joking way, but we have that kind of relationship) for the 49 hours and 53 minutes of hellish labor I put her through, all pain medication free! I can never understand how woman can't go through the pain without meds because my mom sure as heck did! Seven minutes more and they would have wheeled her in for a c-section, but she so did not want that!

Mama of three.

#243 of 299 Old 05-09-2006, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know how I managed to forget this but it only came to me just now. During my 1st trimester a male co-worker of mine told me "Don't get too attached to the baby because most first time pregnancies end up in a miscarriage."

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#244 of 299 Old 05-09-2006, 01:15 PM

I cannot understand how anybody can blame a baby for the circumstances of its birth...and to flat out tell a child that it was all "your fault"??? That's so cruel.

BookGoddess: I would have been hard put not to smack him. What an awful thing to say to a woman experiencing her first pregnancy!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#245 of 299 Old 05-09-2006, 03:01 PM

Some more stuff I remembered:

The ped at #3's 1 week checkup asked if she was a "c-section baby" because she had such a perfect round head. The only one of my babies who had any "molding" was #1 and he was induced at 39 weeks due to stupid lying sOB. All the rest have been born vaginally without drugs and had gorgeous round heads.

My mom had 48 hours of labor with me. They kept trying to get me to turn because I was occiput transverse (facing to the side instead of mom's back) and they wanted me to turn anterior. As it turns out mom's pelvis is shaped in such a way that her babies come out best that way. They stood her up to do a pelvimetry x-ray and I almost fell out right there LOL!

She has occasionally joked about this with me, gently, but really she teases me more about the way I kicked and flipped all the time during her pregnancy than about how my birth went. I think it's bizarre to "blame" a person for their own birth... like the baby forced the actions of the doctors or chose what happened? Please.

Kathryn
#246 of 299 Old 05-09-2006, 03:58 PM

At an interview last week with a family, they told me a nurse had told a friend that "When we see a mom with a birth plan, we know they are a c-section waiting to happen"...

I told them, when I see a nurse like that, I switch care providers!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#247 of 299 Old 05-09-2006, 08:38 PM

My son was born after a less than 2 hour labor, on the side of the road at a freeway off ramp. We were stopped by a state trooper on our way to see the midwife, and she wouldn’t let us drive the 2 miles to the midwife’s house. When the EMT’s arrived, they bullied me because I refused to go to the hospital. One of them said “There’s nothing a midwife can do for you now- you need to go to the hospital!” So 20 minutes later, after the baby was born right there at the side of the road, they took me (and the babe) to the hospital and I when I refused to give them my name or be admitted they said “If you wanted a homebirth, why are you here?” Hello! They took me against my will! The EMT who told me the midwife couldn’t help me just kept saying over and over “Wow, that wasn’t anything like the training video!”
#248 of 299 Old 05-25-2006, 03:07 PM

After my son was born I wasn't prepared for him to want to BF literally 24 hours a day on his second day. I asked the night nurse about it, how he would suck until he fell asleep and then wake up screaming and only calm when put back to the breast. She told me that the baby was just using me as a pacifier and I couldn't allow him to do that. She said my nipples need at least a 2 hour break between feedings. I said "What the hell do you expect me to do? Let him scream?"

Later that night when he started getting a little fussy, I asked the nurses to watch him for an half an hour so that I could get just a liitle more sleep, but please not give him any formula. Well he really let them have it as soon as they wheeled him out. A minute later that same nurse came in and said they had to give him formula. "We can't just let him scream, we have to give him a bottle" Boy I really laid into her over that... I asked them to try and if he didn't calm down I would take him back. Just seconds after she walked out I couldn't take it anymore and went to get him back myself.
#249 of 299 Old 05-25-2006, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&B'sMama
“Wow, that wasn’t anything like the training video!”
So how did it end, G&B'sMama? Did you have to stay in the hospital? Did they try to sic CPS on you?
#250 of 299 Old 05-27-2006, 04:05 AM

My df and I were pregnant at the same time. During pregnancy her blood sugars went up . sOB scared her to death telling her how big her baby would be and it could get should dystocia. This woman has already had 4 children naturally and they were not tiny babies either. So she asks the sOB if they will induce her early. The sOB said,"Babies of diabetic Moms lungs mature slower than babies whose moms are not diabetic. So we will not induce you early." As the pregnancy progressed the same sOB said,"Oh this baby is huge we need to induce you now!" At 2 1/2 weeks early they induced her. The baby was born a whopping 7lbs and was not breathing on her own and had to be resucitated. My df is so grateful that her baby was born at the hospital with this OB and believes she had a wonderful birth:
#251 of 299 Old 05-29-2006, 03:11 PM

Don't know if this counts as being about birth, but it is crazy nonetheless, and is really the only crappy thing anyone said to me all during pregnancy, labor, and birth.

I was laboring and was having my second wave of serious doubts about going sans epi. My SO and doula asked the nurse to have the resident come give me an internal and she straight-up said they wouldn't unless I GOT an epidural.

Bitch.

So my doula told my husband to track down the resident, who promptly checked me and found I was at 8cm. (Transition. Surprise!)
#252 of 299 Old 05-29-2006, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama8
The sOB said,"Babies of diabetic Moms lungs mature slower than babies whose moms are not diabetic. So we will not induce you early." As the pregnancy progressed the same sOB said,"Oh this baby is huge we need to induce you know!"
: "If somehow stuck with OB for pregnancy, heaven forfend, bring tape recorder to all prenatal meetings and inform doctor I'm transcribing all instructions to 'be certain I don't misunderstand anything'. Then bring all transcripts to each future appointment in case of stupidity."
#253 of 299 Old 05-30-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed
So how did it end, G&B'sMama? Did you have to stay in the hospital? Did they try to sic CPS on you?
No, I had to wait until they woke their lawyer up, who told them to have me sign a piece of paper saying I was being “discharged” against medical advice, even though I wasn’t really discharged but was refusing to be admitted. They handed me my placenta in a plastic bag and my midwife, who had caught up with us by that point, helped me to her car and drove us home. They wouldn’t even give me a blanket or a towel- so I had to walk out of the hospital completely naked from the waist down. I didn't care at the time, I just wanted out of there. It hindsight, though, it was pretty humiliating treatment. I have posted my birth story, for those who want to read it.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=310801
#254 of 299 Old 06-01-2006, 01:29 AM

I had a horrible CNM for my 2nd birth and when I was fully dilated she told me to start pushing. I didn't have any pushing ctx but after she got onto me for a while I decided to try (I needed her to shut up) she had the nerve to say: "You're not doing it right!" Then I was trying to squat and she said: "You can't squat - you'll tear."

(I had to transfer to her care @ 34 wks because of a military move - I wasn't prepared for her to be so aweful & didn't advocate for myself.....)

The nurse for the same birth was a b***h the whole time I was pushing she stood beside me and made annoying comments like "it looks like a boy's head" then was it was a boy she said "see I told you it looked like a boy." After he was born I was nursing him and she goes "after ten minutes the breast is empty. Go ahead and take him off so I can give him a bath." Horrible person. Like I would stop him from nursing right after he was born.

Oh how I wish I had found you ladies before my 2 hospital births, I would have saved myself from so much bs.....
#255 of 299 Old 06-01-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiddlinmama
I had a horrible CNM for my 2nd birth and when I was fully dilated she told me to start pushing. I didn't have any pushing ctx but after she got onto me for a while I decided to try (I needed her to shut up) she had the nerve to say: "You're not doing it right!" Then I was trying to squat and she said: "You can't squat - you'll tear."
Something I wonder when I hear stories like this is why aren't there more cases of careproviders having their noses bit off?
#256 of 299 Old 06-01-2006, 05:50 PM

When I was pregnant my college professor told my to "request the episotomy or you will tear through your rectum and wear diapers the rest of your life." Um yeah, I didn't require a single stich, thank you
#257 of 299 Old 06-01-2006, 06:11 PM

My son was born at 40w5d, and I knew the date of conception because I was charting. He was only 6 lb 11 oz, and everyone noted how small he was for being overdue. One of my aunts said "I'll bet your dates were off" : Why? Because I didn't have a GIANT baby after 40 weeks like everyone thinks you do and OBs tell clients to get them to schedule inductions?

This aunt also told me (right after having my son- she just came in unannounced because she worked at the hospital that we transfered to from my birth center) "I'm so glad you decided to be here. It's so much safer" Umm yea. I HAD to be there, it wasn't like I decided to be there over a birth center.

My cousin also told me that I should have had a csection, because it's way easier than going through labor, and it's actually safer. I let it slide.
#258 of 299 Old 06-01-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell_Ell
My son was born at 40w5d, and I knew the date of conception because I was charting. He was only 6 lb 11 oz, and everyone noted how small he was for being overdue. One of my aunts said "I'll bet your dates were off" : Why? Because I didn't have a GIANT baby after 40 weeks like everyone thinks you do and OBs tell clients to get them to schedule inductions?
I always joked that I'd have to go overdue to have an 8lb baby... well dd2 was born two weeks ago at 40+6 and she was still only 7lb 6oz. I've have had to go to 42 weeks (or more) to have that 8lb baby.
#259 of 299 Old 07-26-2006, 06:03 PM

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#260 of 299 Old 07-26-2006, 06:43 PM

With my latest birth (my 2nd VBAC), I arrived at the hospital very far along (contractions so close I literally couldn't get my pants off to be checked ). My doula was fabulous, my OB (who also attended my 1st VBAC) was fabulous, my dh (who caught our baby) was fabulous, but we had no choice about nurses (because it was a busy night and I arrived so close to pushing). Anyway, as soon as the L&D nurse found out I was VBACking--even though she knew it was my 2nd VBAC and things were very obviously going *very* smoothly and quickly--she told the OB and my dh that they would be prepping the OR immediately. : Darned good thing *I* didn't hear her, because I would have probably punched her. We finally got my pants off (so I could pee), my water popped, and the baby was born (easily! no meds!) about 30-45 minutes later.
#261 of 299 Old 07-26-2006, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKmama
We finally got my pants off (so I could pee), my water popped, and the baby was born (easily! no meds!) about 30-45 minutes later.
I wonder if they even managed to get an open OR and prep it in that time.
#262 of 299 Old 07-27-2006, 08:05 AM

Mom, who knows I'm having a VHAC, says "You'll be 40 next year. Are you planning to have your tubes tied? You know, they can do that at the same time."

Same time as what!? So, I have my homebirth, then rush off to the hospital to have surgery so my tubes can be tied??? (A question - this doen't really happen, does it? I mean, if you have a vaginal delivery in the hospital, will they then tie your tubes right after? I can't imagine. The only thing I can think of is after a planned cesarean, maybe?)

PS - this will be my 2nd child. Perhaps it's criminal to have more than 2?
#263 of 299 Old 07-27-2006, 09:19 AM

Quote:
A question - this doen't really happen, does it? I mean, if you have a vaginal delivery in the hospital, will they then tie your tubes right after?
Actually, yeah, they will. This is what my cousin Maggie had done after her fourth child was born.

OK, I've thought of a few mor ridiculous things since the last time I replied to this thread:

Said cousin Maggie was induced with said fourth child three weeks early. Why? Because she had been dialated 4cm for six weeks and "He was obviously ready to come out." Uh, then why didn't he?

Another cousin's ex-fiancee, when she had their son, wasn't able to breastfeed because her milk hadn't come in after three days, so they had to give the boy formula. The sad thing is, she wanted to breastfeed, but this is what she was told by the nurses at the hospital!

Another mama on another board had a hard time establishing her supply with her son because he was so big when he was born that colostrum alone wasn't enough, and he needed formula. BUT he is a couple of weeks older than my youngest and still being breastfed. So I have to give her lots of credit for overcoming a rocky start brought on by poor advice.

The same board, we just had a young girl whose baby was delivered by c-section. A completely elective c-section; she didn't even pretend it was necessary. And she's so happy that she was allowed to choose, because it was just great to go to sleep and then wake up and have a baby.: So not only did she have a needless surgery, she had needless general anesthesia. Of course, she bottlefeeds (which begs the question of why she's still hanging around the "Pregnant and NURSING forum), and when the poor tyke was about a week old she was talking about how he was a little constipated--nothing to do with formula, of course--so her husband was running out to get some prune juice and apple juice. When I politely expressed my reservations about this tack, she said that her pediatrician had recommended it. Note to self: never give birth in Qatar.

My aunt gave me some helpful advice shortly after the first was born. She told me that when Bobbie hit two months I would need to give her cereal because she would be hungry. I would have to keep trying until I overcame her gag reflex. Of course, this is the same woman who told me to nurse my baby only five minutes on each side, no more. So I don't doubt that her babies really were hungry at two months! More bad advice from doctors. At least she had a doctor who insisted on breastfeeding for all his patients (very unusual back in the early and mid-'70s). She nursed 4 out of 5 kids, only missing #2, who couldn't nurse because he was allergic to her breastmilk. Oh, and she told her elder daughter she couldn't breastfeed because her breasts were too small (mind you, this gal has breastfed kids #2 - 5, and can hand-express 4 ounces of milk in about five minutes), and her other daughter, the aforementioned Maggie, that she couldn't nurse because her breasts were too big! (Thankfully, Ruth has only managed to ruin nursing for each woman's eldest child.)

I had one nasty nurse read me the riot act over having planned a HB (didn't tell 'em UC) with Esther because VBACs are too dangerous to do at home. Thankfully, she was there only long enough to put in an IV. "My" nurse commented as we were headed from the labor/delivery/recovery room to a regular hospital room that she was surprised my midwife had "let" me nurse Linda while I was pregnant! I heard the same thing from another nurse. Mind you, they didn't think it was a bad thing I'd nursed while pregnant, or that I was planning to tandem nurse, they were just amazed I'd gotten permission.

I think that's everything...

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#264 of 299 Old 07-27-2006, 10:11 AM

Former OB ( this was in 2005!!! )

"You only smoke a few cigarettes a day, I don't think that will have any effect on the baby." Yes, I was still an occasional smoker until March of this year. So much for a DOCTOR trying to get me to quit. Glad I quit on my own.
#265 of 299 Old 07-27-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagesgirl
Another mama on another board had a hard time establishing her supply with her son because he was so big when he was born that colostrum alone wasn't enough, and he needed formula. BUT he is a couple of weeks older than my youngest and still being breastfed. So I have to give her lots of credit for overcoming a rocky start brought on by poor advice.
Where does this thinking come from??? :
I have heard a lot of people say this, even talking about eight and nine pounders, and I just don't get it. Our bodies support the babies on the inside, why couldn't we continue to do so once they're out?

It's especially odd to me, since dd was 10 lbs, 8 oz, when she was born!
Sure, the midwife put her on my belly and she army-crawled right up to a nipple and clamped on (shockingly accurately and firmly ) and wanted to nurse a lot, but when she was weighed four days later, she had gained several ounces!

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#266 of 299 Old 07-27-2006, 04:19 PM

This is a great thread... I've really enjoyed it!

I have something to add... my grandmother gave me a pamphlet she still had from when I was a baby. My mom had gotten it from the doctor after I was born. It recommended to start the baby on orange juice daily at the age of six weeks. Oh, and it was perfectly normal for the baby to spit it up! :P Makes me wonder how I survived, sometimes. LOL
#267 of 299 Old 07-27-2006, 06:40 PM

This really isn't a birth story, but something that happened right after birth. With my first, I was in hard labor for a little over 40 hours. I hadn't slept and was very tired after everything. When I was ready to see everybody the doctor let them in the room. Remember now, this is 30 minutes after a 40 hour labor. Everybody was so happy. My dad and I were talking and I didn't here Laurie saying something to me (DP's aunt) so naturally I didn't respond. So she insisted on "tapping" me not so lightly on the shoulder and saying, "Wow, you really have no personality, do you?" Well, at this moment my dad was holding the baby. So I looked back at her and said "Wow, it looks like you have two seconds for me to see you walking out of here." She let me know that she wasn't leaving until she held the baby. When the doctor and nurse decided not to listen to me, I got up out of bed and decked the b!$%* as hard as I could. She left, and I was happy again.
#268 of 299 Old 07-27-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrandaDawn
This really isn't a birth story, but something that happened right after birth. With my first, I was in hard labor for a little over 40 hours. I hadn't slept and was very tired after everything. When I was ready to see everybody the doctor let them in the room. Remember now, this is 30 minutes after a 40 hour labor. Everybody was so happy. My dad and I were talking and I didn't here Laurie saying something to me (DP's aunt) so naturally I didn't respond. So she insisted on "tapping" me not so lightly on the shoulder and saying, "Wow, you really have no personality, do you?" Well, at this moment my dad was holding the baby. So I looked back at her and said "Wow, it looks like you have two seconds for me to see you walking out of here." She let me know that she wasn't leaving until she held the baby. When the doctor and nurse decided not to listen to me, I got up out of bed and decked the b!$%* as hard as I could. She left, and I was happy again.

#269 of 299 Old 07-27-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrandaDawn
OMG you ROCK!
#270 of 299 Old 07-27-2006, 09:22 PM

What? Oh, no, I mean the aunt, how could she do that? I think you handled things very well under the circumstances.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page