Was the u/s diagnosis of a Large baby correct? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2005, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know so many people who say that the u/s estimated (guesstimated) a 9lb+ baby, only to schedule a c-section that delivered a 6lb 14 oz...

How often is the u/s right?

I'm asking because my baby is measuring large externally (and I've not gained any weight with this pg, and am at the same size I was when I delivered my 8lb daughter, and 7lb7oz son). He is also measuring large on u/s. I'm just curious if I should take this with a grain of salt, or really look for a larger baby?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2005, 04:03 PM

One of my clients was induced with a "big baby." her doctor claimed that big baby diagnosis can be off plus or minus one pound. Her "big baby" that she was induced and then c-seced for, was just over 8 pounds.

How big a baby are you willing/ able to deliver? A fellow doula delivered a 10 pound baby. i think the "big baby" diagnosis is just another reason for dr.s to set a delivery at their convenience (my opinion).
Old 05-09-2005, 04:11 PM

Well if I hear of a story where the u/s was right I will let you know .

Actually I think I read one on here recently. cappicinosmom or something like that. Her baby was really close a week after u/s.

Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:35 PM

Here, here... a false "big baby" scare here, too..

Trystan wasn't a peanut, but they were estimating (guesstimating) him to be well over 10lbs... they were expecting him to be between 11 and 12 lbs even.

He was 8lbs, 15.5ozs.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:37 PM

My firstborn was estimated to be 8.5 lbs the day before she was born weighing 5 lb 6 oz. This was in line with three different doc's opinions, my OB, the perinatologist (with that super-duper u/s whatever it's called), and the on-call OB at the hospital the day my water broke.

Doc didn't even bother to estimate my second DD's size, but rather asked me how big I thought she was going to be (since I was right about my first). I always told him I thought she'd be right under 7 lbs, and she was born weighing 6lb 10 oz. I think my body just isn't conducive to accurate U/S measurements. I always measured large for dates, and gave birth to small babies.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Even if all u/s diagnoses were correct...it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Large babies do not always mean difficult births, even if you have previously had a difficult birth with a much smaller baby. So if the u/s is saying your baby is going to weigh 11 lbs...well, so what? Even if it's true, you won't know what it's like until you're there.

One of the screening questions I asked potential midwives was how they handled the birth of a suspected large baby. They all said there was nothing different they would do and that they would not be concerned if they thought a baby was going to weigh 10 lbs or more.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaseball
Even if all u/s diagnoses were correct...it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Large babies do not always mean difficult births, even if you have previously had a difficult birth with a much smaller baby.

ITA!

also, i was told my son was "large," and u/s estimated he was 8 lbs at 37 weeks, so my then OB suggested inducing due to "big baby." he was born with no complications at 40 wks 3 days and weighed 6 lbs 9 ozs.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:36 PM

I know a woman who had a u/s at 36 weeks and was told that since the baby was already 8 lbs, they could just take him out now! So they did a c-section, which the woman was fine with since she didn't want to be pregnant anymore anyway. He really was 8 lbs, but still...
Old 05-09-2005, 05:39 PM

IMO, it is never right. It depends too much on the person reading the data. Maybe ICAN-online.org has stats.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:40 PM

Why is there so much time spent speculating baby's size? I can't see how it does anything but stress mom out. Why do we try to guess at all?? What can we possibly gain from it?

I make a point to ask my mw's/ob's not to guess baby's size. I don't need any extra pre-conceived baby-weight worries to add to any labor doubts that I might already have.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaseball
I know a woman who had a u/s at 36 weeks and was told that since the baby was already 8 lbs, they could just take him out now! So they did a c-section, which the woman was fine with since she didn't want to be pregnant anymore anyway. He really was 8 lbs, but still...
Here's my peeve about this. If you're gonna to a c-section anyway then why not let the baby stay in there and get as big as it wants? The OB is not worried about the "big baby" getting stuck so why take the baby before labor starts? Oh yeah, because the OB is worried about his/her schedule. :
Old 05-09-2005, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
Why is there so much time spent speculating baby's size? I can't see how it does anything but stress mom out. Why do we try to guess at all?? What can we possibly gain from it?
the excess worry without reason in so many areas of my 1st pregnancy - that is exactly why i dropped my previous OB in favor of my new and fabulous midwife. if only i had known then ... but i didn't know what i didn't know. kwim?
Old 05-09-2005, 06:33 PM

I've heard the margin of error is plus or minus 14 oz.

I was told by my OB that it becomes more accurate as baby gets bigger (ie over 9 lbs, over 10 lbs, etc)

Personally, I had an u/s at 38 weeks, she estimated baby at 8 lbs, at 40 weeks, baby was born at 8 lbs, 12 oz.

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had an u/s at 36 wks with my dd. The machine estimated her birthweight would be 8 lbs, 4 oz. She ended up weighing 8 lbs, 6 oz, so in our case it was pretty darn accurate. Not that it mattered to me, the u/s had nothing to do with estimating her weight and I'd already delivered a 9 lb 4 oz baby so 8 lbs was a lightweight
Old 05-09-2005, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Exactly! Who cares? What's next, u/s to determine hair color? The information is equally useless. Why do so many women have u/s in late pgcy anyway? I used an OB practice for dd1 and there were no u/s after 16 weeks.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkOnDemand

How often is the u/s right?
Well, I've known it to be right more than not. I know they can be off but I think a lot of times it has to do with the tech. My last OB was only off by 4oz guessing from feeling around and measuring my uterus.
With my first baby they were not off at all, she did weigh 7lbs, with my youngest they said he would weigh between 7.5-8 lbs and he weighed 7lbs 12oz. I'm having another US in a few weeks and they will guestimate weight, though my OB is thinking this baby is going to be the size of my daughter or smaller. (my uterus is measuring smaller, and she measures smaller on US) I can only think of one person they were grossly wrong on when it came to US results and that was with my neighbors first baby, they said she would weigh about 8lbs, she weighed 10lbs plus. More than two pounds off and this baby was born at term and mom did not have GD.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper

I make a point to ask my mw's/ob's not to guess baby's size. I don't need any extra pre-conceived baby-weight worries to add to any labor doubts that I might already have.
I think it depends on your medical history. Its really good for me and my health care provider to know how big my babies are since I have a uterine anomaly. I am sure there are other valid reasons to have a guestimate of weight.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:02 PM

My OB also guessed my baby's weight by external palpation alone, and was exactly right.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with the PPs that a) it's rarely accurate and b) if it is accurate and you're having a big baby, who cares? I would be thrilled to have a big baby! There are so many great things about big babies. Healthier, less fussy, sleep better, nurse better, less likely to be in a "bad" position for birth (meaning that because of their size they have no choice but to choose the best position in the pelvis).

My mantra: FAT IS SQUISHY! BIRTHING A BIG BABY ISN'T NECESSARILY HARDER!
Old 05-09-2005, 07:20 PM

When I went in for my NST at 41 wks, ob said, "I'm sorry, you are not a candidate for a homebirth. Your baby will be well over 9 lbs. You need to be induced right now." (He also asked if I was married for some reason.) I had to laugh because I was 9 lb 10 oz and my mom had me all natural. Midwife estimated 8 lbs. by palpation. DD was born at home a week later, 8 lb 1 oz.

Every time I drive past that ob's office I want to stop in and punch him in the face.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:46 PM

Hmm I guess I am the odd one out! When I have had ultrasounds they have told me my kids are smaller than they are at birth :LOL its always off by a couple of pounds! then they have said in the past " hmm where did you fit that baby" :LOL
Old 05-09-2005, 09:11 PM

Mine were wrong the opposite way, too. First baby on u/s was "definitely way less than 8 lbs." She was 9lb.s 10 oz. Second baby midwife thought was under 7 lbs. She was 8lb, 8oz. Obviously they are not accurate very often. I think the woman's body has a lot to do with how the baby appears on u/s. I always liked the saying that your body wont grow a baby too big for itself. Who can say what too big is?

Angie, mama to Anna '01, Mia '04, and Leif '08 and angel1.gif '03  angel1.gif'07 angel1.gif'12.Expecting someone new in 7/13! pos.gif

h20homebirth.gif familybed2.gif bftoddler.gif homeschool.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

Old 05-09-2005, 09:55 PM

Hmm, this thread is very interesting to me because at my appointment today I was told by the midwife that the baby is at least 8 pounds, maybe 8 1/2, already. I am 38 weeks 5 days.

She did not use u/s, however; just external palpation. Does anyone have any thoughts on how accurate that is as compared to u/s? (I know there was one PP who said her OB's estimate using that method was accurate).

I agree with the post that asks why even try to guess. I kinda wish the midwife had not told me that she thinks my baby is big because now I am a little paranoid and more anxious that she not get too big. I know that people deliver 10-11 lb. babies vaginally every day but somehow it still bothers me...I feel guilty, like by not eating a certain way I have made my daughter bigger than she should be. I am also nervous that if she is very big they will be more aggressive about testing her blood sugar (I've heard that bigger babies have a greater likelihood of hypoglycemia...don't know if it's true...).

When I get ahold of myself though I am glad she's big for the reasons listed above - she's likely to be healthier, right? Anyway, I am just curious how accurate the measurement by external palpation has been for people reading this. Oh, and my fundal measurement was 41 cm.

When I had u/s earlier in the pregnancy they were always right-on for that stage of pregnancy - i.e. at my u/s at 19w4d, she actually measured precisely 19w4d. And at my last u/s (32 weeks) she was right around the 50th percentile for 32 weeks! But then my fundal measurement at 35 weeks was 36, and now at almost 39 weeks it's 41...ah, who knows.

I really think for someone like me who tries to overanalyze everything, it'd be better just not to have any idea!!
Old 05-09-2005, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafl
My firstborn was estimated to be 8.5 lbs the day before she was born weighing 5 lb 6 oz. This was in line with three different doc's opinions, my OB, the perinatologist (with that super-duper u/s whatever it's called), and the on-call OB at the hospital the day my water broke.

Doc didn't even bother to estimate my second DD's size, but rather asked me how big I thought she was going to be (since I was right about my first). I always told him I thought she'd be right under 7 lbs, and she was born weighing 6lb 10 oz. I think my body just isn't conducive to accurate U/S measurements. I always measured large for dates, and gave birth to small babies.
That's funny! I always wondered if other people gauged their baby's size fairly accurately. I had no idea w/ my first, but w/ my 2nd, I said that he was about the same size as my first about a week before he was born. So he was a little bigger by the time he was born, and I was right!

I measured WAY WAY ahead externally w/ both of mine. And w/ my 2nd I had an u/s to check his kidneys a few weeks before. I remember they said he was really big, but I think they were overestimating by at least a pound. My first was 8lbs 8oz and my 2nd was 9lbs 4 oz. SO there was no reason for me to measure 3-4 weeks ahead. THey weren't THaT big. I was told that external measurement isn't all that accurate towards the end of the pregnancy. Of course I measured ahead most of the time. I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead this time already. lol

Oh yeah, and I pushed for ess than 5 min w/ my second so NAH! to my Ob who expressed concern over the size of the baby. Blah! Whatever.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I am also nervous that if she is very big they will be more aggressive about testing her blood sugar
They wanted to do the blood testing for DD...I listened to what they had to say, and refused the tests. I opted to watch for for any symptoms indicating a problem instead of preemptively testing. I signed off on the form stating that I was refusing the heel sticks. (and DD was just fine )

FWIW, I've never had any problems with refusing testing/procedures in hospitals (maybe b/c they know I'm a lawyer?? :LOL ) Seriously, don't sweat that one, the watch and wait approach is your right.

Quote:
I kinda wish the midwife had not told me that she thinks my baby is big because now I am a little paranoid and more anxious that she not get too big. I know that people deliver 10-11 lb. babies vaginally every day but somehow it still bothers me...
ITA. When it was time to push, I had it in my head that she was a good sized baby (I had no idea when I birthed DS)...I felt intimidated by the size and was more scared of pushing than I was with my first. I was measuring small all of a sudden at 38 weeks, hence the late term u/s (primarily to check amnio fluid levels.)

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:13 PM

Even external palpation & fundal measurements don't always predict a baby's size all that well. With my son I was measuring 41w at 41w, etc. I asked the midwife to guess weight right as I started to push & she guessed 8-4 (my guess was 8-3). My son was 9-7! And 22" long. I'm only 5'2" tall, so honestly I have no idea how my son ended up so big & where the heck he was hiding. I was big, but man, he was huge, LOL. No one guessed he'd be so big. Even my chiro had guess mid-7's just days before I had him.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:46 PM

Mine was off the other way, too. My daughter was 10 days late, when we had the ultrasound, they put her at 9lbs 2 oz. She was born a couple days later at 10lbs 4oz.

I've never asked my midwives with this one, and they've never offered---we've only speculated on whether or not it's another 10 pounder, but I figure if my 105 lbs, 5'4" body can push out one ten pound baby the first time, anything will be easier the second time!
Old 05-09-2005, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katja
Midwife estimated 8 lbs. by palpation. DD was born at home a week later, 8 lb 1 oz.
I did not have u/s, but the midwife estimated 8 pounds by external palpation and DS was 8 lbs. 6 oz. I thought that was pretty good!
Old 05-09-2005, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
In my case, I had an extra ultrasound at 37 weeks because I was so big. My OB also had me thoroughly tested for GD, even though I did fine on the preliminary sugar drink test.

At 37 weeks, the baby was off the charts and the estimate was that the baby already weighed over eleven pounds. I think it was accurate. Rosie was 22 inches long and weighed twelve pounds, eight ounces.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:02 AM

With my youngest, my backup OB did an ultrasound at 37 weeks that said he was already 10 pounds 6 ounces. The OB started pushing hard for a cesarean, even though I'd already given birth to two 9 and a half pound daughters just fine, and even though he agreed that third trimester ultrasound measurements can be off by up to TWO pounds in either direction (according to the studies I have read). I politely declined and gave birth a month later to my 10 pound 3 ounce boy at home without incident. (Huh...so he LOST three ounces in 4 weeks???? lol)

Sarah

User Tag List