Tips for a natural delivery of a large baby - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 05-26-2005, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaccat
As for birthing itsself, get a doula who won't hesitate to give the hospital staff some attitude and read up on active birthing positions. Then tell you MW that you will not at anytime during your labor allow yourself to be on your back during labor and delivery. Make the staff talk to you through your doula. Get her to tell them that you need peace to concentrate or whatever seems appropriate. They'll be less able to spook you into submission if they have to do via another person.
This is absolutely NOT the roll of a doula. If you have a doula that is claiming she is going to do this, she's on a power trip, and not an effective doula.
A doulas role is to empower you through this process. She can help YOU to communicate, and facilitate conversations and interactions between you an hospital staff, but it is not her job to speak "for you" at any time. That would be turning your power over to her. She should be empowering YOU not, taking your power.
She should be knowledgable about positions, and how to help you effectively birth this baby with out intervention should that be what you want. She should know how to deal with hospital staff and build rapport with them, yet still have your comfort and safetly as her first priority. A doula that goes in and "gives attitude" can actually cause staff to treat you with hostility, and possible have you end up with even more intervention etc..out of spite. They also can kick her right the heck out.
#32 of 39 Old 05-26-2005, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So here goes something I will need a flame proof suit for-
on occasion flat on your back with your knees almost in your armpits is sometimes the way a baby will finally slip under the pubic bone-- I don't mean you do this the entire labor but have seen in work --- it is similar to a squat and if done right the tail bone is not on the bed
but this does not mean semi sitting in a bed with a monitor strapped on for hours and hours-- upright - standing, walking, dancing, kneeling, squatting, resting on your side,are all things that can be done before and after this move.
#33 of 39 Old 05-26-2005, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs
on occasion flat on your back with your knees almost in your armpits is sometimes the way a baby will finally slip under the pubic bone-- I don't mean you do this the entire labor but have seen in work --- it is similar to a squat and if done right the tail bone is not on the bed
but this does not mean semi sitting in a bed with a monitor strapped on for hours and hours-- upright - standing, walking, dancing, kneeling, squatting, resting on your side,are all things that can be done before and after this move.
No flames here!! This is absolutely true, and can keep you out of the operating room.
#34 of 39 Old 05-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Banned

How to deliver a big baby naturally:

Stay out of the Stranded Beetle Position

Let Gravity work for you.

Stranded Beetle Position = Bad

Hire a Doula
#35 of 39 Old 05-26-2005, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs
No flames here either... I didn't intend to deliver dd2 on my back, but that's how she came out, lol. I was up and active for the VAST majority of my labor, but when show time came, I felt best in a semi-reclined position, knees to armpits.

And I LOVE the "stranded beetle" name... :LOL That's how I felt with dd1's delivery, where I labored on my back way too much because I wanted to be a good little patient. :

Jennifer
#36 of 39 Old 05-26-2005, 12:56 PM
Banned

It's a term someone coined while on a mainstream sites child birth choices debate board
#37 of 39 Old 05-26-2005, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all of this useful information. It really helps and give me so much more confidence in the event that I need to stand up for myself. I don't think that our doula would want to do that. But my husband will. He is very gentle and laid back, but he also knows how important this is to me and from everything he has learned in classes realizes how natural this is. So he would be my voice if one is needed. I am just hoping that we do not even get to that point. A lot of times a positive attitude is contagious so going at it with that approach is in my mind, the most constructive. Everyone, including my midwife, knows what is important to me, so I am going to have faith that they respect and honor that,

Plus my adorable little squishy child seems to know exactly what to do also. The baby has been breech and posterior. Well as of yesterday I am starting to get some Braxton Hicks so it seems like he/she is getting ready well in advance for the big day also.
#38 of 39 Old 05-26-2005, 03:00 PM

Water was what got me through my first home birth (10 pounder). I birthed her in the water with just one small tear. Not sure if you have access to water, but use it if you do.

My second home birth was so fast. I was standing upright and swaying or on a birth ball untill I got on all fours to push. I had the pool ready, but didn't feel like moving from all fours on the bed. I had my 11 pound baby with just a few pushes and a small skid mark. Try to stand as much as you can during labor, and use a pushing position that gives the baby as much room as possible
#39 of 39 Old 05-26-2005, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, first, I'd be pleased at the idea of a big baby and not a bit worried. Big babies are great!

As for induction? I mean, aside from the 101 reasons no woman wants an induction... Women I know birthing big babies have often had somewhat longer labors and pushing stages. So the best thing I can think of that helps in birthing if that ends up being the case is patience. Don't feel pressured. When they induce you, you're sort of on their hospital clock from the get go. The longer you're hanging around there, the more they feel the need to *do* something with you - especially if they've this ridiculous notion your baby is "too big" anyway. I think it would be easiest to labor at home for quite some time before you arrive at the hospital. And don't let them have you begin pushing before you feel the need to. (Try to keep those vaginal checks to a minimum!) Sometimes babies need more time to mold and position. And hospitals can get antsy over the amount of time you're "pushing" even if they had you begin before you felt the need to. (You don't need to hurry to tell them when you do start pushing a little either, in my opinion. Some do I'm sure, but most people's 10lb+ers don't just come shooting out, lol. It affords you just that much extra time when they aren't staring at a clock during your pushing stage.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page