Cesarean Section Support Only Thread June 2005 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2005, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence
I could have sworn I saw a NJ couple on a Baby Story having a homebirth. I could definitely be mistaken though. How close are you to the PA border and could you go to a birth center?
Homebirth is perfectly legal in NJ. HBACs are not. It is illegal for a licensed midwife (CNM or DE) to attend an HBAC. I'm much closer to NY than to PA, unfortunately, and the same rules apply in NY, too. I'm very bummed. I've found a mw that I like for the local hospital, and if she doesn't pan out, there is a group of mws about 45 minutes away (5 minutes from where my mom lives) who attend VBACs. The hospital they use actually has about a 10% lower c/s rate than the local hospital, so that might be a better move. I just worry about laboring at my mom's. She might make me a little . :LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2005, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Nope, because the first time I felt cutting and pain, so pressure and pushing was good to me. I didn't feel pain. I knew what was happening. My OB at the last section said "we are trying to push him out" -- he was stuck.

I had a baby shower today. Really cool, all girly stuff!
Ah - I can see your point. I think my imagination is actually worse than the reality. My OB didn't push dd out...but he did have to work her head loose. I'm not sure where it was stuck - under my ribs maybe? - but I could see her upside down in the mirror...just her legs and her bum and a bit of her back. It was kind of strange.

I don't think I'll be having one. I didn't get one with dd, either. I don't really have anybody to throw one for me. I don't really need anything, anyway...but after waiting so long for these two babies, I'd like to feel as though somebody understands how important they are to me. It doesn't feel that way at all.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 06-06-2005, 12:59 PM

Tomorrow is the big day. We have an appointment with the OB that is going to perform the cesarean in a few hours. I'm editing together a cesarean only birth plan (I had one that included c/section but I'm editing it now).

I definitely have fears about what happens if the spinal doesn't take or cover enough - normally they just give you basically a shot in your back and send you in, right? They don't keep the catheter in usually, do I need to request that? If it isn't enough what do they do? Last time I already had an epi and I remember they kept asking me if I felt anything, we went through a few rounds of that before I felt comfortable saying I couldn't feel it.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 06-06-2005, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo
Tomorrow is the big day. We have an appointment with the OB that is going to perform the cesarean in a few hours. I'm editing together a cesarean only birth plan (I had one that included c/section but I'm editing it now).

I definitely have fears about what happens if the spinal doesn't take or cover enough - normally they just give you basically a shot in your back and send you in, right? They don't keep the catheter in usually, do I need to request that? If it isn't enough what do they do? Last time I already had an epi and I remember they kept asking me if I felt anything, we went through a few rounds of that before I felt comfortable saying I couldn't feel it.
If you have fears about the spinal request an epidural and have the cath left in. Some doctors do not like doing this, but since you had an epidural before, yours may go for it.
Most spinals are done in the OR. You can walk to the OR if you like and get on the OR table yourself and then insert it then.
I got a PCAP with my epidural the last time and liked it, I am getting that again.
Let us know how your appointment goes and if you have any questoins, ask now!

Kim
Old 06-06-2005, 03:24 PM

I hope everything goes well mightymoo. I know you were hoping for a VBAC, but hopefully being prepared for this will help.

I had a spinal (just checked that with my OB at my last appointment, because I wasn't sure), and they gave it to me on the table in OR, after I walked there. My spinal definitely took, and I could feel nothing but some pressure and tugging below my breasts...no pain at all until afterwards. Was it you that had a spinal that didn't take once before? I can understand being worried about that.

Just try to focus on the fact that soon you'll be holding your precious new baby...I find that helps a bit.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 06-06-2005, 06:21 PM

After talking to the doc I'm less nervous about the spinal. He said they check very carefully that you have no feeling and will check again before beginning the procedure. I'm sure it will be fine. Ugh, its so much more nerve wracking than last time - last time it was at the end of a long induction and I was tired and didn't have a ton of time to reflect on what was about to happen. I am definitely ready to have this baby though!

One nice thing that I didn't realize is that my midwife will be scrubbing in and performing the surgery with the OB. I always figured in the case of a c/s she would be there, but I didn't realize she actually is involved (though I didn't exactly ask what her role was specifically, both her and the OB referred to it as 'we will perform the surgery', etc). I thought that was neat.

Old 06-06-2005, 06:26 PM

GOOD LUCK mightymoo - Hoping things go really well for you tomorrow and that you have a very positive experience.

Lisa/Storm Bride - I know I don't know you at all and vice versa - but can I just tell you that I know how important your babies are and I wish that if there was such a thing as a cybershower, I'd throw one for you? Bringing a long-awaited new babe in the world - be it the first or the fifth - what could be better than that?

chantal - thanks for posting that little comparison between your first and your second c/s experience. I find it really comforting to read about how much better the second ones can be. I wouldn't say I'm "looking forward to it," but I'm kind of looking forward to it.

Speaking of "IT" - I have a question for those in the know -
I'm currently scheduled to have the section on July 14 - that'll be 39 wks, 1 day. But there are a few things that are concerning me about waiting until then:
1) my new ob - the one I really like who is doing the surgery - is leaving on vacation on the 15th - so she won't be around to attend me in the hosptial. I don't like that. Talking to other patients of hers, they got a lot out of her visits post-op. If she's not there, I'll be seeing someone else in her practice - one of which is my old ob (the one who was involved in my whole "hostage" issue, if anyone recalls that), which I think would be very weird for me... or I'd be see a doctor I've never seen before - none of whom were recommended to me when I started shopping for a new doc.

2) With my first - I went into labor naturally 10 days early. What if that happens again? If I have to have this repeat c/s, then I want all the "perks" of having a planned procedure - I've already gotten the thumbs up to my birth plan. I'm worried that if I go into labor early, and the c/section is done on a more "emergency" basis, that I'll be sacrificing some of the things that I feel are going to make this repeat c/s not such a bad experience.

So my question is - do I ask to move the section up to 38 weeks? Is that okay for the baby (whom I found out last week by virtue of an u/s we needed to make sure she still wasn't showing signs of downs - she's not - is still a girl ). I'm VERY sure of my due date - I was charting and know for certain when I ovulated and conceived.

amy
Old 06-06-2005, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

MightyMoo -- I will be thinking about you tomorrow and looking forward to hearing your birthstory. I will send all the positive vibes I can muster into you having a safe, wonderful cesarean birth.

Alaska -- I personally would move it up. I know how important it is to have your own supportive OB and I too would think it is weird dealing with the OB who held you "hostage". My OB is not on call the weekend I have my baby, but another OB I feel comfortable with is (they are also assisting with the csection) Also, I have a feeling my OB is probably going to stop by and see me anyway that weekend.
I've had all my csectoins at 38 weeks, this one is being done 16 days early, earlier than my previous ones -- however I am not concrete on my dates. Had my baby been a boy, I would have waited this time, but with a girl I feel much more secure in going in that early. I know I am in the minority about this, but I don't see a problem with this.

IF you do go into labor, I think its very possible you can still have a good experience. Unless labor presents some problem, they can still arrange things for you like it was planned. Just be calm and collected about the whole thing. Talk to your doctor about this before hand. I talked to my OB about this and she assured me that even if I went into labor, that she would do everything possible to ensure I got the same treatment and my birthplan was followed.

Time seems to be flying by for several of us!

Kim
Old 06-06-2005, 07:51 PM

Kim, it makes a difference if it's a girl?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska
Kim, it makes a difference if it's a girl?
Yes, girls mature faster than boys. Their lungs mature faster, and even though they may weigh less than there male counterparts, they fair better during emergency situations, premature birth, and birthing complications.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:19 PM

alaska: Thanks. I appreciate that. I don't really need anything, anyway...just would have liked a shower for Emma, as I'd been trying to have a baby for almost 10 years!

As for your question...I'm currently trying to decide whether I want to go into labour before a section (if I can't VBA2C). I want to, because I prefer to have my body ready for the baby's arrival...but I'm also stuck on the dilemma of possibly not having my OB for the surgery. I don't want someone I don't know doing it...

I don't really have any answers for you, but I think in your situation, I'd be inclined to move the date up. (My situation's the opposite...my OB gets back from vacation 5-10 days before my due date, depending if you use my dates, or the ultrasound. I'm really hoping not to go into labour early.)

Old 06-07-2005, 05:17 PM

The doc agreed to move it up to one day before the beginning of the 39th week - not a big improvement but I'll take it. July 12.
thanks for the comments
Old 06-08-2005, 09:34 PM

I saw my family doctor today - discussed some of what I'm discussing with my OB...eg. VBAC vs. scheduled section vs. going into labour, then having the section. She's really pushing a scheduled section. "We don't want to risk this baby, or this mommy". *sigh*

Old 06-08-2005, 10:31 PM

Lisa,
I am sorry you are having such a hard time with your birthing decisions. Of course your dr. is right--we don'twant to risk this baby or this mama--but there are risks to both sides of this situation. I don't know all of your situation, since I am pretty new to this thread, and I don't want to influence your choice toward VBAC or C-Section. I just wanted to say that YOU are the person best qualified to decide which set of risks are the right one for you and your baby. I have confidence that whatever you decide will be the correct choice for you to you, mama. I will be thinking of you
Old 06-09-2005, 01:29 AM

Thanks, muchly.

I've basically decided to try VBA2C, if this baby isn't breech (both my others were). If the baby is breech, I'll agree to a c-section...I'm not completely convinced it's necessary, but I haven't found a caregiver around here who's experienced at catching breech babies, so I'm more-or-less okay with that.

The dilemma I'm now having is scheduled c-section vs. waiting for labour, if I go ahead with the surgery. I've had one of each, and I found a lot more problems with my milk when my section was scheduled. I'd really prefer to wait for my body to decide it's time for the baby to arrive. But, I also don't want someone other than my OB doing the surgery...I like him, and he's considered the best around here. I already know he does a very good, tidy job. And, if I wait for labour, I may not get my family physician, either. If I have to have a section, I'd really rather have the two of them present than not...

Well...still time to make up my mind. And, we'll see which way this baby is tipped on Friday. Nobody can tell where the head is - not me, not my OB and not my doctor. It's weird.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride
I saw my family doctor today - discussed some of what I'm discussing with my OB...eg. VBAC vs. scheduled section vs. going into labour, then having the section. She's really pushing a scheduled section. "We don't want to risk this baby, or this mommy". *sigh*
Lisa I am sorry about the kind of feedback you are getting on this. I am not sure what kind of advice to give you on this. If your OB is comfortable giving you a TOL, then I suggest going with it.

Kim
Old 06-09-2005, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all,

I hope some lurkers will come out for some advice.

My csection is scheduled for Friday, June 24th and I was thinking that coming home on Sunday afternoon would be ideal, June 26th. Now I am not so sure. Last time I came home in under 48hrs without problem. I felt great and was eager to leave. The only problem with waiting until Monday is that I would only have my husband there to help me leave the hospital, instead of him and my sister. My sister has to go to work on Monday and my husband is not the greatest "care giver" in the world. I'm just wondering how much peace and rest I will get once I get home with the other three kids!

Kim
Old 06-09-2005, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Lisa I am sorry about the kind of feedback you are getting on this. I am not sure what kind of advice to give you on this. If your OB is comfortable giving you a TOL, then I suggest going with it.

Kim
I'll be doing a TOL if the baby isn't breech. I'm finding that out tomorrow.

The decision that's giving me so much trouble is what to do if my baby is breech. I really can't choose between scheduling and going into labour.

Old 06-09-2005, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

I hope some lurkers will come out for some advice.
I will. Actually I looked everywhere the other day for a C-section folder and couldnt' find you guys. So glad I stumbled onto you this morning. I will be back soon with questions. My first was born via emergency c-section due to breech position after hours of unmedicated pushing.

We are struggling right now between VBAC or repeat section. But leaning heavily toward a C-section - mostly due to my husband's terminal health condition which renders him unable to help or even be present for a long or difficult labor. Opting for a section lets us take part in the birth together and will be much much easier on him. (especially given that my hospital's VBAC success rate is rather dismal) And for what its worth, I recovered very nicely and quickly from my first surgery - no pain meds at all after the actual procedure. (do you think I will be so lucky again?!)

More soon - just wanted to pop in and say hello and so glad to have found you ladies. I am excited about the possibility of making a C-section birth be a bueatiful one!
Old 06-09-2005, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride
I'll be doing a TOL if the baby isn't breech. I'm finding that out tomorrow.

The decision that's giving me so much trouble is what to do if my baby is breech. I really can't choose between scheduling and going into labour.
Well you know what I would do.

I think its going to really weigh on you about who you want to deliver your baby, how important that is to you.

Kim
Old 06-09-2005, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Leah, Welcome!

I can definitely see your reasons for having a repeat cesarean. I know how important it is to have your spouse be able to participate, and you seem to have even more pressing reasons. Could you elaborate on your husbands condition?

Also, I think you can be so lucky again. I had a great csection last time and great recovery, so I know it can happen!

Take care,
Kim
Old 06-09-2005, 08:03 PM

I have not had a chance to read through the entire thread, but I wanted to quickly thank OnTheFence for posting your thoughts on your birth plan (page one of this thread). I am not pg again yet, but TTC and debating VBAC. I am suffering quite a bit of anxiety over the decision to VBAC or repeat c/s and reading your post made me feel more calm than I have ever felt around the issue. You made me see that a repeat c/s might very well be the way I can control the situation and that might be what I need. Thank you. It's refreshing to finally see that it is possible to be somewhat powerful in all of this.

Best wishes to everyone preparring for birth!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:07 PM

Hello
Kim: Could you schedule the section for a day earlier and come home on a Saturday and then have help for 2 days?

Leah: so sorry about your DH's condition. I hope that you can find a birth solution that works for you both.

I am not pregnant yet.. not even thinking of TTCing.. but I have been thinking about the birth of this future child.. and have made some decisions.. I met with a lay MW the other day and had a very good conversation with her. She had some interesting things to say about the two births.. and then about DD's birth in general.. that her presentation was a nearly impossible one for anyone to get out and that there was nothing wrong with me.. it was just rotten luck. That alone.. made the meeting worth while. I felt like a huge dark cloud was lifted from me.. and I am feeling much more at peace..

I have decided that, barring something medical that would indicate otherwise, this next baby will be an hba2c. . This decision has also brought me a lot of peace too..It just feels right for our family.

Chantal
Old 06-09-2005, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Well you know what I would do.

I think its going to really weigh on you about who you want to deliver your baby, how important that is to you.

Kim
That's where I'm going back & forth, back & forth...I really strongly want to go into labour first, but I also really strongly want a good OB to do the surgery. If I'm going to be cut open, I want it to be by someone I know is good with a scalpel.

I wonder if I can request no nurses in the OR...I guess not...

Old 06-09-2005, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Leah, Welcome!

I can definitely see your reasons for having a repeat cesarean. I know how important it is to have your spouse be able to participate, and you seem to have even more pressing reasons. Could you elaborate on your husbands condition?
Sure Kim. He has a degenerative neurological condition which affects multiple areas of his brain and nervous system (the disease is called Multiple System Atrophy or MSA). He is confined to a wheelchair much of the time and stress, exhaustion and too much stimuli makes him much more prone to seizure like episodes leaving him unable to move or speak. Fortunately, I am able to work from home so that I can see to his care and be with him each day. One of the medications he takes sedates him at night in an attempt to calm the seizures - awaking at any point to drive and/or join me at the hospital is simply not possible. And he is very sensitive to who gives him care. We do have family nearby to help but he does much better when with me.

He wants very much to play an active role in our little girl's birth and I would love to do whatever I can to make it easier on him. We both worked so hard to have a natural birth with our son (Zac's illness had only just begun at that point and while he was in a wheelchair, he was able to be present and active) but it took its toll such that his health suffered for quite some time afterward. I don't know if I want to put him through that again.

He is utterly supportive of any choice I make but we are making this one together and I think it will turn out well.

Oh and thank you for the great ideas on the birth plan. I did not realize that I would still be allowed to ask for so many things. I can't wait to sit down and sort through all the great info I have gathered from this thread. Thanks ladies!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamameg
I have not had a chance to read through the entire thread, but I wanted to quickly thank OnTheFence for posting your thoughts on your birth plan (page one of this thread). I am not pg again yet, but TTC and debating VBAC. I am suffering quite a bit of anxiety over the decision to VBAC or repeat c/s and reading your post made me feel more calm than I have ever felt around the issue. You made me see that a repeat c/s might very well be the way I can control the situation and that might be what I need. Thank you. It's refreshing to finally see that it is possible to be somewhat powerful in all of this.

Best wishes to everyone preparring for birth!
Thank you so much for your kind words, I really appreciate them!

Kim
Old 06-09-2005, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Chantal,

I had wanted to schedule my c-section for Wed or Thurs but she was booked with other surgeries. She said she could fit me in, but thats not exactly what I wanted, I wanted my own surgery time.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Leah,

Thanks for sharing about your DH with all of us. I think its good for other people who lurk here to know that there are so many parts of our lives that play into our birthing decisions.

I think if you choose the route of planning a cesarean section, that you could find a very compassionate doctor to accomodate any if not most of your requests to make the experience wonderful for you and your husband. I would think though that it would need to be a planned event for those things to take place but well worth it. There are certain things absent from my birthplan that others here have done, like have a mirror or lowered drapes so the birth can be viewed -- this is something that could be requested and set up for the two of you. I would highly recommend having an additional support person in the OR for you and to assist in recovery for you and your husband plus baby so that all of you could have optimal time together but everyones needs get met. You might could even find a doula to do this for little or nothing considering your husband situation. I know some doulas who strictly volunteer for families with a need.

Kim
Old 06-10-2005, 12:54 AM

Thanks Kim. If we go this route, we will schedule with the same doctor who delivered our son. She knows us both quite well and is more than compasionate in terms of our wishes and Zac's limitations. She also let me go home very early last time (I was begging! I wanted our family to be together and Zac couldn't stay at the hospital) and she has assured me I will have the same liberties again.

We are speaking with our old Bradley instructor about being a doula for us but I believe my hospital isn't very lenient with the number of people allowed in the OR with me. Last time I wanted my mom in too so when Zac left with the baby I would have someone nearby and they wouldn't let her in. I was too drugged and distraught to protest. But I will ask again and the mirror is a wonderful idea!

Fortunately we have ample time to plan and I am truly excited about the possibilities.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:34 PM

Jackson is here! Born on Tuesday - 11 pounds, 22 inches and a 14.5 inch diameter head.

Thought I'd just post an update. We had our repeat c-section on Tuesday. Overall I was very happy with the birth experience. Obviously it wasn't what I wanted originally but I think we had a great team who made it a nice birth.

I did not have the problems I had last time with feeling out of it. I still don't know what they did last time, but I wasn't given anything other than the spinal and some oral stuff to remove the acidity of my stomach. So I really felt I was aware of what was going on. My midwife assisted in the birth, which was fabulous and they were all really great about describing everything to me (I didn't really want to look) while my doula took tons of pictures. Apparently I have a very 'interesting' uterus. I didn't realize it but I have a big walnut or so sized fibroid as well as some other small ones - but I know I thought the big one was a foot or something! I also have an unusual number of large veins or something, which makes me wonder if that isn't the reason I grow such big babies.

My midwife even showed me the placenta (pretty usual for a c-section!) which did have a fair bit of calcification she pointed out starting in, so between that and the size of him, I'm glad we didn't wait any longer to try for a VBAC, I think we made the right choice.

Unfortunately despite the fact that I didn't hemorrage or lose an usual amount of blood, my red blood cell count was extremely low after surgery and I passed out for a few minutes. I ended up getting a couple of units of blood before coming home yesterday. So I'm still recovering, but overall, it seems to be going well.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice!

User Tag List