How much blood loss is normal during birth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-16-2005, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just looking over my medical records from my son's birth and I remember the amount of my blood lost during the birth was a concern for them.

They put down a estimated 500 ml I would think that is normal for a birth, anyone know for sure though? It doesn't seem like a lot to me. Just curious.

Thanks
#2 of 8 Old 06-16-2005, 01:44 PM

yep, 500cc/ml is considered the top of what is normal. anything beyond that is considered a hemorrhage.
#3 of 8 Old 06-16-2005, 01:55 PM

Yes...medically, it's consider the edge of normal. In my mind, not a bad blood loss at all though. What's more important is how you are - not the amount of blood you lose.
I've seen huge hemorrahges where the mother was totally fine.
#4 of 8 Old 06-16-2005, 04:43 PM

So- if you had a client who had lost an estimated 500 ml with her last birth, would you be concerned during her next pregnancy? Is there anything you'd want her to do differently either during the pregnancy or in the third stage? Curious- I'm in the same position- I have no idea how much I lost with Alex, but I know I lost around 500ml (I suspect more) with Isaac and didn't do too well on it- I had a day or two of feeling a little rough.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#5 of 8 Old 06-16-2005, 05:41 PM

I had a hemmorhage with my first birth - the midwives estimated about 700ccs. They got it under control with a little pitocin and some rather painful uterine massage, and I was home with my baby a few hours later. No problems. My midwife told me that it should be no concern for future births, that the fact I hemmorhaged with the first did not put me at greater risk for it happening again. I did not have any excessive bleeding with my second birth.

When I was reviewing my birth history with the OB I saw to confirm this pregnancy, he seemed to feel that the amount of blood I lost in that first birth was not any big deal.

When it was happening, I didn't even realize there was really anything wrong - the midwives were so cool about it, and I was holding my baby lost in bliss anyway. I felt fine, just a little dizzy when I finally got up a few hours later to get ready to go home. (I later found out, though, that DH thought I was going to die when it was happening and it really affected him deeply - he didn't tell me that until after my second baby was born! )
#6 of 8 Old 06-17-2005, 12:27 PM

I wouldn't be worried. I really believe that the vast majority of hemorrhages are caused by the environment (lack of privacy, disturbances, too cold, too bright) or the practitioner (fiddling with the cord, clamping, pulling - even a little, touching the uterus at all, impatience or worry).
What would I do? Ensure that you have NO disturbances, lots of warmth and privacy and just wait for your placenta to come. Nature is designed for your survival. I would trust it.

Your nutrition needs to be optimal (but it does anyway!) - making sure you are doing all you can to have good iron store in the last trimester of pregnancy.
#7 of 8 Old 06-21-2005, 10:55 AM

I'm really glad to happen upon this thread! I've been wondering this too. I lost a lot of blood in my last birth (a fabulous homebirth) and my MW said it was on the very upper edge of normal. It must have been about the same amount you lost? I've been wondering what that meant and if there were any implications for a future birth.

Quote:
I wouldn't be worried. I really believe that the vast majority of hemorrhages are caused by the environment (lack of privacy, disturbances, too cold, too bright) or the practitioner (fiddling with the cord, clamping, pulling - even a little, touching the uterus at all, impatience or worry).

Your nutrition needs to be optimal (but it does anyway!) - making sure you are doing all you can to have good iron store in the last trimester of pregnancy.
I don't think any of these would be relevant in my birth... But there are other factors too, right? I know my MW mentioned that she generally sees it when the uterus is just worn out--very big baby/babies so it was very stretched, a very fast or very slow labor where the uterus has really worked hard. Not that a woman can control or change any of these things...

I do think I should have had a better iron store. I was only borderline anemic, and was supposed to take alfafa tablets to help me out, but they made me feel nauseated so I wasn't very good. I think I would try to figure out a way to get more iron into me next time.

Anyway, thank you!
#8 of 8 Old 06-21-2005, 06:22 PM

I bleed a ton period! no matter what part is bleeding :LOL I only know of one of my births a few years ago hospital birth I lost 700 cc's got up and walked away a couple hours later? felt good in fact..

no clue about my last birth but it looked like alot but it was UC so who knows! but hey I am here and I felt fine after that one too.. I think the problem with some of these "guidelines" is like everything else they allow no room for individuality.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page