agonizing over having a section - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 07-09-2005, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hello. i am 31 weeks, scheduled for a c section on sept 6, really due sept 14.
i have 3 children , this will be number 4. my last two baby girls were 10 1/2 pounds and shoulder dystocia. I had them at home. With my last birth, i suffered a 4th degree laceration, about 1 inch into the rectum, had to be transported to a hospital for extensive repair. i am lucky it all healed well, no real problems except some gas incontinence occassionally . my perineum is much shorter than normal because of the stitches and repairs. my ob is afraid that i will have another large baby with shoulder dystocia just because of my history, so recommends a c section to save me from fecal incontinence or fistula. but because i am so torn about this decision, i keep thinking that maybe things will be different this time, maybe the baby will be smaller and without shoulder dystocia, and slide out? what to do? i am afraid of the recovery and really do not want to stay in the hospital , i have a 2 year old who sleeps with us and will be having a hard time with me gone.i am so sad that i have to be sad about such a happy blessed time.i thank you cesarean goodess for your birth plan, going from the most natural birth to the most medical is also a hard thing for me to swallow.
would you go for the chance of incontinence or not - and possible shoulder dystocia situation with baby or the c section???thank you.
#2 of 60 Old 07-09-2005, 03:16 PM

Personally I would do everything possible for an easy delivery and plan to push either on all fours or squatting but I'd do a homebirth. It comes down to trusting my body.

good luck- tough decision.

-Angela
#3 of 60 Old 07-09-2005, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have to tell you that I had a similar birth, but with no shoulder dystocia. I had reconstructive surgery at 16 months postpartum. I was told the same thing.

HOWEVER, from my experience as a midwife, I know that I'd be safer to birth at home in an undisturbed birth rather than have an elective cesarean. I also know that the chance for me to need to be transferred for extensive repair with an undisturbed birth is rare.

Are you into researching the causes/prevention of shoulder dystocia and different things that you can do nutritionally to help your skin elasticity? Did you have a midwife the first two times? (I only ask because I know there are docs that do homebirths in Chicago) Perhaps you could call her and talk to her about it.
#4 of 60 Old 07-09-2005, 03:34 PM

I can't offer advice but wanted to send you hugs. What an awful feeling.
#5 of 60 Old 07-09-2005, 03:45 PM

Just wanted to direct you to this thread. It has a lot of anecdotal information about birthing after a fourth degree tear.

I've been there, as I related in your post on the due date club, and I'm sending light and love to you as you make your decision.

Edited to add: there were many women on that thread who were due to have their babies after their 4th degree and not one of them tore so extensively a second time. Does anyone know of any studies that support the OBs' recommendation of a cesarean birth after a 4th degree? It seems anecdotally here on MDC, that is bad advice.

Amanda
#6 of 60 Old 07-09-2005, 03:55 PM

I am sorry that you had the awful tearing experience. I think that the next birth could be different. Having a ceserean is a Major laceration 2 actually! One on the abdomen and one on your uterus. This creates more scar tissue.
Birth at home Mama like you know how to and in your power you will birth your baby -short perimeum and all- I second the all 4 possition and don't let anyone pull on that baby until she has rotated! Chances are that this baby wont be bigger than 10 1/2 lbs. And you can work on incontinence issues with kegels anal and vaginal!

Kiya- Mama to 3 growing Son's. Waldorf joy.gifDoula  hug.gif  Making Recycled Woolens and Trainers every spare moment.
#7 of 60 Old 07-09-2005, 06:35 PM

Mommamiagal, I'm so sorry you went through that. I have to say that if it was me I would definitely choose the c-section. I realize that's not a popular viewpoint on this board. However, I also had a 4th degree laceration from a horrible vaginal birth which turned into an emergency forceps delivery. I later had to have reconstructive surgery to repair the damage. A year and a half post surgery and things are better but sex is still painful and I'm just accepting that I'll probably have some incontinence my whole life. When I compare my vaginal recovery to my friends who had c-sections mine was definitely waaaaaay longer/harder. 9months after my son was born I was back in the hospital for the reconstructive surgery for 3 days and the recovery from THAT was even worse than the birth.(Not to mention how stressful it was on both me and my BF son to have me away for 3 days.) Thankfully we had really good insurance at the time which paid for it because otherwise it would have been $20,000 out of pocket.

There is NOTHING WRONG or bad about choosing a c-section in your situation. You're not less of a woman or a bad mother if you choose one. Especially given the shoulder dystocia risk. No one has commented on that. I have to say it makes me angry when people make comments like "trust your body" and "do kegels". You had a homebirth when you first got your tear so you obviously DID trust your body. Kegels can help recovery but ARE NOT a fix-all for a 4th degree tear or a fistula. You should do what you feel is the best for your future health/wellbeing and your baby's.

This is a subject close to my heart and one I'm still pretty emotional about so forgive me if anything I say offends anyone but I felt another viewpoint was needed.

Best to you in whatever you decide to do.
#8 of 60 Old 07-09-2005, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobers
This is a subject close to my heart and one I'm still pretty emotional about so forgive me if anything I say offends anyone but I felt another viewpoint was needed.
And, I'm so sorry that this happened to you!

Let me tell you that there is hope for your situation. Of course you are still emotional, and I am too about my 4th degree NINE years later! But, I can tell you that my next birth was incredibly healing, physically and mentally. My scar tissue was "fixed" by my midwife, after I tore the 2nd time. (The tear was very superficial, just to let you know.) Before that, sex was excruciating, and to even think about going to the bathroom made me cry. It was years before I had sex again. (I'm not exaggerating). The thought of tearing was absolutely my biggest fear/worry during my 2nd pregnancy. I grilled my midwife about what ifs.

Nine years after the 4th, I feel normal. Totally normal. I've had two more vaginal births (with very strict "instructions" about no touching while I'm pushing) and I didn't trust my body at all to not tear again like that. But, even without my trust, it worked beautifully! And, I have to say, I'm no kegeling champ, unforutnately. :

There are many women on MDC who have had the same experiences. It can't be a fluke, can it?

You're situation is still too raw for you to see that saying that you should trust your body, from me, and from Pam, comes from a place of wisdom. I've been *there*. Pam's seen lots of births, as I'm sure she'd be happy to tell you. (And, she needs no defending from me, here).
#9 of 60 Old 07-09-2005, 10:31 PM

I just wanted to suggest that if you do continue with the c-section route, wait for labor. You might not want to deny your baby the extra time gestating, and the labor hormones will enable your milk to come in better.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful healthy birth & baby.
#10 of 60 Old 07-09-2005, 10:36 PM

Mommamiagal, I just want to chime in and support you doing whatever makes you feel comfortable. I agree that obviously you trusted your body and still it wasn`t a perfect experience.

Shoulder dystocia can be very tricky and if somebody hasn`t really experienced a serious one, they shouldn`t be too quick to think its always going to have a good resolution. By serious I mean stuck for more than 5 full minutes and Gaskin maneuver isn`t helping. One of the risks for sd is previous sd delivery and I truly think its a position thing rather than a size thing. Many small babies have gotten stuck too. Some people think now that its an intrauterine issue that makes some women more susceptible because many many women get 10 + pounders out without problems.

I had a very bad outcome with a shoulder dystocia at home, trusting my body every step of the way, and I won`t go into it here because I know its best to surround yourself with positive stories. Pm me if you want, I made some different decisions with my next birth. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do!

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
#11 of 60 Old 07-09-2005, 10:39 PM

"I just wanted to suggest that if you do continue with the c-section route, wait for labor. You might not want to deny your baby the extra time gestating, and the labor hormones will enable your milk to come in better." paquerette

This is an excellent point, I am a volunteer lactation consultant and we`ve seen moms who have some labor before a c/s have milk come in as early as 24 hours pp.

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
#12 of 60 Old 07-09-2005, 10:57 PM

I just wanted to give my experience. With my first he was face up and they gave me a 4th degree cut and used forceps. I have gone on to have 3 vag births and for all 3 of them I labored standing up and gave birth on all fours- the second birth no tears, the third skid marks, the fourth one stitch.

I also second the wait for labor to start and labor some if you go with the c-sec. There are studies about it being better for baby to have some labor and to have labor start naturally even if you go on to have a csec.

I wish you the best with this difficult decision.

Kim Ann

Mama to 5 boys, 1 girl, and 2 dogs!
I'm getting sick of this world, I may need to live on a commune some where! I miss nursing!!!
#13 of 60 Old 07-09-2005, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liseux
"I just wanted to suggest that if you do continue with the c-section route, wait for labor. You might not want to deny your baby the extra time gestating, and the labor hormones will enable your milk to come in better." paquerette

This is an excellent point, I am a volunteer lactation consultant and we`ve seen moms who have some labor before a c/s have milk come in as early as 24 hours pp.
I agree with this as well. I've had one emergency section after 20+ hours of labour, and one "planned" section with no labour. It took a lot longer for my milk to come in with the planned section. I'll never have another one without labouring first.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#14 of 60 Old 07-10-2005, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wanted to add that my thoughts on shoulder dystocia is that they are VERY rare if a woman is having an undisturbed birth. I think most shoulder dystocias are provider caused - forced pushing, having women sitting on their tailbones, a provider forcing the baby to rotate or putting pressure up on the head as it is born.

So, in my eyes, having a woman really listen to her body and trust the messages it gives her can definitely improve any risk of shoulder dystocia AND tearing further.

Just my .02, though. I know what it's like to have perineal reconstructive issues, fecal incontinence, etc. I also know that I wouldn't risk my life or the loss of my uterus because of what a surgeon advises unless I was absolutely sure that I felt the same.
#15 of 60 Old 07-10-2005, 11:13 AM

Find a care provider who will leave you alone and let you labor the way your body tells you to. Find someone who does not feel they must save you from the horrors of childbirth, because it is almost always the medical interventions that cause traumatic problems in the first place. go to www.spinningbabies.com and read about Optimal Foetal Positioning (funny spelling because it's a British book). Find a care provider who will sit back and let your body do what it needs to do to birth the baby. No forced pushing, no forceps, no episiotomy, no clock-watching, and lots and lots of patience. You don't have to agree to a cesarean, but with *that* doctor, you would probably have a better experience if you went ahead and let him do it. It's up to you, how much do you want a natural, vaginal delivery? How much do you not want a surgical delivery? If you really want to deliver vaginally, and I honestly believe you can do it without any tearing at all, you need to have the right kind of support, and the right kind of care provider, and it probably means you should steer clear of the hospital except in the event of a life-and-death situation.
#16 of 60 Old 07-11-2005, 06:37 PM

Well I'm biased due to the fact of having a c/s with complications. They sewed a nerve into my muscle or something and I couldn't lay down or stand up for 2 weeks and was needing to take too much percocet, Motrin and Tylenol. I could only sit upright in a chair. The OB clinic ignored me, told me it was normal to have pain after a c/s and labor. Finally I went to my Family Practitioner who had me readmitted, then I had to have CAT scan, be separated from my newborn .... It was a nightmare. It robbed me of those first weeks with my dd and I'm still very bitter about it.

I've also heard of women saying they thought their c/s was 'easy' and I believe them. But the odds are that a lot can go wrong with c/s's. A 4th degree tear sounds awfully painful. But tearing on the outside sounds less dangerous than what they can happen internally with a c/s. It's a hard call to make. You could have a c/s and not have any complications but there will still be pain and you'll need pain meds both of which hinder your ability to look after your children. Plus a c/s is a mandatory 3 days in hospital (I wasn't capable of leaving before that anyhow). Or you could have a similiar experience to what you had last time. I don't know much about healing from a 4th degree tear but is it any worse than healing from a c/s? Did you have to stay in hospital for 3 days after the 4th degree tear repair?
#17 of 60 Old 07-11-2005, 07:31 PM

I wanted to add, also, that you should NEVER feel bad about choosing a c-section under these circumstances. I probably would choose one too. There is a c-section support thread here. Many of the women there have dealt with the same fears you have. Listen to your intuition about what is best for your body. Don't let anyone "talk" you into either having one or not having one. This is your decision.
#18 of 60 Old 07-11-2005, 07:57 PM

I'm not trying to talk you out of a c-sectoin - that's a very personal decision.

But, I will point out that when a woman compares a vaginal birth with a c-section after an experience like yours (eg. the pp who said something about her recovery being way harder than her friends who had had c-sections), they're comparing apples and oranges. A comparison of a bad vaginal birth complications to a complication-free c-section isn't a valid comparison. Things can go wrong in c-sections, too...it's not a risk-free, complication-free option. I'm very sure that recovering from a 4th-degree tear is as bad as or worse than recovering from a complication-free section. But, there's a woman here somewhere who posted recently about having her bladder cut in half during a section.

Only you know what you're comfortable with, but it's not a matter of "bad vaginal birth vs. easy c-section" - nobody knows how it will turn out until it happens.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#19 of 60 Old 07-11-2005, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for alll of your responses. I guess I have to say first that I have completely trusted my body in the past, that is why I chose homebirths. I live in Chicago, and there is a big home birth practice here. They suggested a c section when i went in for my 6 weeks visit this pregnancy , i was expecting another homebirth. they referred me out basically. they just felt that i had two strikes against me a reconstructed perineum with small skin area in between the vagina and rectum, basically scar tissue. i have been told that i could wear diapers the rest of my life, have no feeling down there basically at age 35...or maybe it wouldn't happen that way but we don't know for sure. i am definitely out for the homebirth, so it is hospital either way for me. I just have to decide which way to go. it is really hard to decide. i would love to just try vaginally, but then i have to think about safely birthing my baby too..shoulder dystocia twice was no picnic, and very scary. both girls crowned for 5 minutes before the shoulders delivered, it was pure hell trying every position possible to get them out. with the last one, finally the doctor rolled up his sleeves, yelled at my husband to get to the top of the bed(so he wouldn't see what was about to take place) and went in up to his elbows to get her out. thats how i ripped all the way through and into the rectum one inch. to top it off, i had to leave my newborn baby at home until i got out of surgery to repair the tear..took an hour.the hospital was great at allowing her to come in unadmitted until i was able to leave , on ice , i must add, the next day.

i would love to trust my body , but i just am having a hard time with it since it didn't work too well the last time. i realize i had a good outcome just being at home, able to move into various positions and i thank god for that . i just don't know if i should risk it again. the one thing that goes through my mind is that it must be a lot easier to keep the abdominal incision clean then the one trying to heal on your bottom. if things didn't heal properly because of infection i would have been back in the hospital for repair again, or developing a fistula.again, i am aware of all of the risks of the c section too so this is why i am so torn.
#20 of 60 Old 07-11-2005, 08:35 PM

Did your OB try the Gaskin Maneuver (all fours position and the attendant may go in and hook out the arm w/ 2 fingers) or the pelvic press (2 ppl stand on either side of the mother while she is upright and apply pressure to the top of her pelvis...this is also detailed in at least one of Ina May Gaskin's books)? Gaskin has had extreamely high success w/ both of these techniques.

I personally wouldn't schedule the c/s right away. I'd at least go into labor first and try to get as far as possible. Every baby is different. I'd also try the Gaskin Maneuver and/or the Pelvic Press before a c/s. If the baby is still stuck and/or the hb shows distress, THEN I'd do the c/s. That's just me though...I've had a c/s and NEVER want a repeat unless there's a true emergency situation.

Also, my own OB mentioned that in her practice, she's nearly eliminated shoulder distocia by not stopping the mom's pushing after the head comes out. She said that they used to stop the mom pushing as soon as the head was out to suction the baby. Now, they let the mom keep pushing as desired until the anterior shoulder is delivered, then they suction. They said this has prevented a lot of SD. Perhaps you could discuss all these things w/ your OB.
#21 of 60 Old 07-11-2005, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Can you do a c section when the baby is crowning? I would think that it was too late for a decision such as that. I think that would be considered a real emergency at that time, and then everyone gets too excited and worried, that 's when mistakes happen like bladders being cut and all of those other horror stories.
I think my home birth doctor did some sort of cork screw maneuever with his hands grabbing her out, and she was not damaged by it. I was on all fours as well. I would hate a repeat of that.
#22 of 60 Old 07-11-2005, 11:27 PM

Honestly? I think that your problem was that you were attended by Drs. I feel very strongly that in most cases drs approach birth in a way that causes more problems than it solves. I think that most births are best (and most safely) handled in a hands off manner. It just makes sense. No other animal has others sticking their hands up to help them birth.

In your shoes I would find a midwife at all costs.

-Angela
#23 of 60 Old 07-12-2005, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
Honestly? I think that your problem was that you were attended by Drs. I feel very strongly that in most cases drs approach birth in a way that causes more problems than it solves.
I thought her first post said she had her babies at home? I had assumed she was either unassisted or had a midwife.

#24 of 60 Old 07-12-2005, 12:38 AM

There is a practice of homebirth Drs. in Chicago. I believe that's who she had attend.

-Angela
#25 of 60 Old 07-12-2005, 12:56 AM

Ah - okay. I hadn't come across any references to homebirth doctors before. Thx.

#26 of 60 Old 07-12-2005, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
No other animal has others sticking their hands up to help them birth.

In your shoes I would find a midwife at all costs.

-Angela
At the risk of sounding snarky I have to point out that vets help their animals all the time give birth. In fact, the OB who helped to turn my malpositioned baby the last time I gave birth originally learned her skills because she grew up on a farm and her dad taught her to help the sheep give birth when there was a malpresentation.

I guess the sheep liked her smaller hands.

But in theory, I'm totally there with you, sister!
#27 of 60 Old 07-12-2005, 11:09 AM

[QUOTE=mommamiagal]Can you do a c section when the baby is crowning? I would think that it was too late for a decision such as that. I think that would be considered a real emergency at that time, and then everyone gets too excited and worried, that 's when mistakes happen like bladders being cut and all of those other horror stories.
QUOTE]I think baby can be pushed up in birth canal if crowing and as long as the heart tones sound good, it shouldn't be a cause for freak out...but then again, OBs tend to freak out at the slightest deviation from "normal" .
#28 of 60 Old 07-12-2005, 11:26 AM

Alison is exactly right, there are MANY animals who require help to birth--sure there are some that don't and that's why the incidence of death of the mother and the baby animal is fairly high in the wild--in animals we call it survival of the fittest. We just birthed a calf here last month who came out with his back legs chained to the tractor--without that we'd have lost them both--farmers and vets don't take intervention lightly, but I can assure you it happens. My girlfriends horse tore through during birth and we had to have her dh push the foal back in rectally so I could reach in vaginally and pull him back into the vaginal canal.

For Wombat, you can have a c-section without pain meds-I did. I also went home after 2 days, I don't know how it is in the states but in Canada, if you feel fine and you really want to leave, they'll let you.
#29 of 60 Old 07-12-2005, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I should set the record straight about my Homebirth. I was totally undisturbed.It was just me and my husband in our bedroom or whereever. The doctor doesn't come until he is called to basically help catch the baby, and since I had a previous shoulder dystocia, it was wise that he be there for the delivery. During my labor, I had a homebirth nurse checking in on us occassionally, just being in the next room in case we needed her. She did check me now and then to see where I was, and I welcomed it to help me feel encouraged about my progress. I was in my own bedroom and had a birthing tub, candles , music, everything I wanted. I ate, drank, took a bath, you name it. Homebirth is a beautiful, comfortable thing..I wish I could experence the labor this way again. But, I do believe there is a small percentage of women who need help, that's why we should be grateful for medical technology, when it isn't abused. In the last post, I read that even animals need help sometimes.Look at all the women in 3rd world countries who are suffering because of their unassissted labors that went on way too long and now have to live with the humiliation of a fistula and possible without the child they birthed. I am a complete advocate of birthing from within, it was my bible throughout my last two homebirths, I hypnobirthed..I tried it all, but when it came down to physically pushing (and I had the urge, I wasn't told when to push )I couldn't get the shoulders out.Her head crowned just fine, it's the shoulders. She was out for 5 minutes making faces , my husband said it was so weird, but no shoulders. That's when things went into high gear..moving around with a head sticking out of me for 5 minutes. It seemed sirreal. I needed the doctors help in getting herout before the birth had a different outcome.
Believe me I am still praying that this decision gets taken away from me, like a early labor that just completely progresses to an easy birth , but unfortunately I can't know for sure that outcome either. It is all so confusing.
Thank you, Thank you for all your advise......
#30 of 60 Old 07-12-2005, 11:58 AM

I have hear enough stories of woman that had a c-section because they were told the baby's head was too large to only hive vaginal birth to her next child which was even bigger. There are ways to give birth vaginally with shoulder dystocia, get on all fours. It is called the Gaskin's manuver even though the woman that it is named after learned it from some one else....it works. Your only 31 weeks and they have you scheduled for a c-section, geeze. Fight for your right to have a trial of a vaginal birth. Even if you have to switch doctors. My friend had a VBAC after her first baby was face first. She said her VBAC restored her confidance and that she could really see a difference in the relationship (much closer) with her VBAC baby and did not suffer from PPD like she did after the section.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page