please, tell me great things about labor - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 133 Old 07-18-2010, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bumping!

I just watched my birth video of #1, as #2 is only a few weeks away. Looking back, it seems harder than it was. So much of it passes in a haze - my memory of most if it was a very deep-within state, riding contractions like I was surfing. It looks like I'm in pain, but what I remember was just internsity. I was grunting and moaning and rocking - very animal. My brow is furrowed the entire time, I am concentrating and clearly someplace else. The first part of labor was crampy but had a groove, and once I fell into the rhythm it was pretty cool because I felt my body working and opening up. Transition was frightening, because the prep is over and it's time...but not quite time. It's like being at the top of a roller-coaster, and you've changed your mind, no longer want to drop, but you know you cannot get off and you have not taken the plunge yet. And then, I was ready. In my mind, I went from being afraid and trying to back away to just stepping forward into the next stage. And WOW, there was such a rush of power! It was daunting but also amazing.
There were a few moments of actual pain (head and shoulders) but they passed so fast. It was not a lingering sensation at all.
And then... the hormonal high hits you. Whooooo! For a few hours post-baby, you feel SO GOOD. It's like the best sex-afterglow ever. Your body is exausted, but a good exhaustion. Just being in bed feels heavenly. Food and drink tastes amazing. And that's not even taking into account the amazement and love you feel for the baby.

Women who have medicated births get the same baby related joy, but oh, they miss out on that rush!

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#122 of 133 Old 07-18-2010, 04:44 PM

Labor is amazing and totally life changing!

With my first child I actually experience Kundalini Awakening (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini) with labor - I was in a meditative state and even had a glimpse of nirvana!

My second labor was very different, I was alert and laughing and joking with everyone. It was fast and furious!

Both times I had such fantastic support from everyone around me. They all showered me with praise as I went through it all. Yes, labor is painful, but trust me - it is the ONLY time in life you will go through such pain and then completely forget about it two days later! It's true. Our bodies seen to innately know how to let go of and release the pain of childbirth. Enjoy the ride!
#123 of 133 Old 07-18-2010, 05:04 PM

I don't know if anyone has said this, and it may sound silly, but one of the most pleasurable things to me about an unmedicated birth was eating a huge meal afterward. It was amazing how hungry I was and how wonderful the food tasted and how my body could go back to functioning in such a mundane way after the amazing drama I'd just experienced. I've heard that eating is delayed or is unpleasureable after medicated and surgical births.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#124 of 133 Old 07-19-2010, 01:04 PM

For me the contractions felt like really intense menstrual cramps. However, when I have menstrual cramps I still have to grit my teeth and get on with my day to accomplish whatever is on my agenda. With birth, it was like,"hey, my schedule is clear." I didn't have to focus on anything else and could just give myself over to the experience.

I know it sounds like I'm making light of it, but really that's what it was like for me.
#125 of 133 Old 07-19-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKT View Post
I've heard that eating is delayed or is unpleasureable after medicated and surgical births.
Yeah, I remember my sister saying after her first birth (with an epidural) the hospital provided a congratulatory meal of steak or lobster. She ate it & rather promptly threw it all back up! I do believe I've also heard this is common with medicated births.

I read one of my doula's birth stories on her website. She birthed at an FSBC & they generally want you to leave within 6 hours of birth. Her story included how they went to chick-fil-a on the way home, then watched college football.

I told her how cool that seemed to me. It resonated with me how birth could be a 'normal', healthy event -instead of a 'medical incident.' (Back then, I still didn't know anyone IRL who'd had a natural birth. My image of the experience was continuing to take shape.)

For me as well, after my natural birth, I do remember being ravenous & the food being fantastic! (Not hospital food though, of course! take-out)
#126 of 133 Old 07-19-2010, 06:07 PM

These are all FANTASTIC labor stories. I wish that I had all of these when I had my DS ten years ago. My mom did her best to let me know that it was all a natural process, but complete strangers didn't care.

I will say, I felt my most powerful and most WOMANLY when I gave birth. I've had two unmedicated births and it was a great thing to be able to eat afterwards. The only reason that I know that the medical births/puking afterwards stories hold true is because I had a hernia repair while pregnant with my DD and they fed me afterwards and I couldn't keep it down. Something was said about your stomach shutting down too. BOO!

My contractions for my DS were like intense menstrual cramps and I was able to labor at home until I was 8.5 cm dilated. With DD, I labored and walked (because I kept having false labor and kept getting sent back home by my MW) until I couldn't comfortably take it anymore - and got to the birthing center at 6 cm. It's a plus to have someone with you that will really respect all of your wishes and will keep you calm, and that makes EVERYTHING so much better.

I'm looking forward to the birth of my twins - and hopefully I will have the same feedback on or around January.

Natashacd.gifafro.jpg - wife to Mr. Nicholes, mom to the Cellist(13) the Ladybug(4) and the Twizzlers (2)

#127 of 133 Old 07-19-2010, 07:27 PM

This thread is such an encouragement.

Wife to a bearded dude.
Mama to DS [05/21/08] & DD [09/16/10] 43 weeks 1 day!
#128 of 133 Old 07-19-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit Chick View Post
Women who have medicated births get the same baby related joy, but oh, they miss out on that rush!
I had a homebirth (obviously unmedicated) and I didn't get a "that rush". I have heard the same thing from other mothers. An unmed birth does not gaurantee a birth high. Not to mention I know women who had epidurals and did feel a birth high afterwards.

That being said, though the labor and birth hurt like hell, I felt very powerful. I had tapped into a part of myself that I never knew was there.

Tired mommy to a 2, 4, and 6 year old!
#129 of 133 Old 07-20-2010, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shells_n_cheese View Post
I had a homebirth (obviously unmedicated) and I didn't get a "that rush". I have heard the same thing from other mothers. An unmed birth does not gaurantee a birth high. Not to mention I know women who had epidurals and did feel a birth high afterwards.

That being said, though the labor and birth hurt like hell, I felt very powerful. I had tapped into a part of myself that I never knew was there.
I had an unmedicated birth with my son and I didn't get the high either. It was a traumatically painful birth, fully dilated 2 hours after AROM and 2 hours of pushing. He was 10.5 lbs with a nuchal hand.

That being said, now that I've healed from that (emotionally and psychologically) I can honestly say that I feel more like a woman. I AM a woman, hear me roar. Ya know? I made it through to the other side, through a rite of passage. I learned a lot too.

I'm due in October and I honestly have to say I'm almost looking forward to doing it again, strange as that may seem with my past experience.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#130 of 133 Old 07-20-2010, 12:41 PM

I had an unmedicated hospital birth with my DD and it was an amazing experience. I was so glad I had read and prepared as much as I had because my labor was so fast, there was no time for anything. Labor was intense and painful when I wasn't able to relax through the contractions. I was just amazed that I was able to do it and I knew what was going on.

My contractions started (well I started feeling them anyway) around noon and got close enough together and I also had some bloody show to where I called my OB. The on call OB said I should head in, but no need to rush or panic as I would be in labor for awhile yet, so we hung out for about an hour until I said ok let's go as contractions were getting more intense. 20 minute drive by DH to the hospital with me groaning at every bump and we arrived around 4pm and then they had lost my preregistration so we had to give all that info again while in labor but then I got into a triage room. It took awhile before anyone came in and labor was pretty intense. I started thinking at this point that I was being a bit of a wuss, I couldn't be that far along yet and I was having to really focus to keep my body relaxed. The gal checked me and I was 5cm, so I asked if they could have the anestestiologic stop by to weigh my options as it was pretty hard and I was thinking I would have a lot of hours. Looking back, I am sure I was in transition Also, I remember feeling kind of bad for my DH because I DID NOT want to be touched at all, but he was fine with it.

Anyway, off to my L&D room and when I got up to use the bathroom before getting into the bed, I felt her shift and felt pressure. I knew I was complete, but of course my intellect got in the way at first saying, it can't possibly be already! But when I got out of the bathroom I told the nurses I felt pressure and asked to be checked again so they said sure after they got the IV in. So they did that and then checked me and then as they started getting frantic calling my OB back and trying to get the room ready and asking me not to push yet. I didn't have an urge to push more than my body was, but I certainly wasn't stopping my body, so I just ignored them all and focused on relaxing. I remember they kept commenting on how well I was doing, how impressed they were and how polite I was

The OB arrived and no worries as I was still fine and he immediately took charge of the nurses and had them lower the lights and just brought the room to a nice calm state. I him for that. He too was impressed with me and said so, said we could really meet later as I had seen him at my OB office, but hadn't met him officially, and gave me a quick rundown on pushing. My pushing contractions were very far apart, so in between it was a bit odd with all these people standing around looking between my legs all waiting for another contraction

She was born and my OB had me reach down between my legs so his hands and my hands together caught her, which again was awesome, and immediately brought her to my chest. She was so small and perfect and had hair and wow I was in awe. Then she peed on me and then I latched her on, she didn't really suck yet, but it was good to just have her in my arms The nurses and OB were again congratulating me and complimenting me, I could tell they hadn't seen many births like this (and I am guessing the med student who was in the room hadn't seen any like mine). She was born just after 6pm.

And I really felt so good afterward, sure tired and hungry and whatnot, but the good tired after a really good workout. The first food I had was so tasty and the first shower I had was heavenly!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#131 of 133 Old 07-20-2010, 01:24 PM

I LOVED pushing. It just felt so right.
#132 of 133 Old 07-20-2010, 04:41 PM

I had an unmedicated hospital water birth and it was very low intervention and pretty much just the way I wanted it. My labor pains were managable with showering and moving around alot. It wasn't until transition that it got much worse, but by then I was in the birthing tub and that helped a ton. I was at 6 dialated when I went into the tub, and my son was born an hour later. I hardly remember pushing it went so fast. And no tearing.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#133 of 133 Old 07-20-2010, 07:46 PM

I love this thread and it made me tear up to read it...:-)
My son's births were several years ago but they were both equally amazing, even though they were completely different. With Ds#1, I was medicated, but I still felt amazing after all was said and done. Ds #2 was an unmedicated hospital birth. It was amazing and awe inspiring to actually feel him move through me. I cant even describe how surreal and wonderful it was.
It was hard work but after he was out, I surprised the whole room by exclaiming " That felt really, really good!" ( I think they were surprised b/c I was very vocal during the pushing stage hahaha) I would do it again in a heart beat.
My DS's births were incredible moments that I live again and again in my mind. ( And I cant wait to birth more babies without meds!)

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page