In your eyes, wheres the best place to give birth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Home or Indepent Birth Center or Hospital whether its regular or alternative one.

For me now its at the hospital in the alternative birth center, if something goes wrong or just feel I can't handle the pain anymore, I can just be transfer to the regular birth unit of the hospital.

Thank you.
#2 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 03:06 PM

It depends on the woman's needs, the baby's needs, and the woman's comfort level.

For me, the best place is home. But depending on circumstances, that is not the best place for every woman.
#3 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 04:40 PM

I agree the best place is where the woman feels comfortable. If she is not relaxed and comfortable in her surroundings she is going to be tense and have a harder time.

Personally I would like to give birth at home but cannot get a midwife or doula I like for a home birth. So I have both the midwife & doula I prefer but I give birth in the hospital.
#4 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 04:44 PM

In my eyes, it's a home birth. However, I do agree with the ones who say that if the woman isn't comfortable there, then it's not the best birth for her.
#5 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

For me I feel more comfortable in the hospital then at home or free standing birth center. Thank you.
#6 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 05:42 PM

I'd rather have a home birth, where "something" is tremendously LESS LIKELY to "go wrong" in the first place, and where I am just as safe and able to transfer if "something" does "go wrong" as I would be in a hospital.

I have spoken with many a doctor and L&D and NICU nurse, and they ALL agree that:

1) Things are FAR less likely to "go wrong" at home than in the hospital;
2) If things do "go wrong" at home, they will be caught sooner (since MW care is generally far more attentive), AND they have the same likely outcome (w/transfer-- even 20 minutes away) as they would in the hospital;
3) The only "wrong" things that make the hospital a safer place to start birthing are A) so rare that they should not influence one's decision, and B) so critical that the outcomes are terrible in either case. IOW, in these extremely rare circumstances (<1/10 of 1% of cases) the mortality rates for a homebirth/transfer might be 90%, but the mortality rates are STILL about 70% in the hospital.

Weighing the much more common 1) against the extremely rare 3), I think we have a winner: homebirth!

I have sympathy for the "the woman needs to be wherever she feels most comfortable" argument-- I used to feel like the OP before I did all my research. However, on some level, I think that MOST women can understand and internalize the idea that home is the safest place to be (for women w/low-risk PGs).

My controversial viewpoint is this: we (for the most part) only "feel" safer in hospitals because of erroneous and myth-filled societal indoctrination. Thus, that "feeling," while in some ways a true feeling, is really more of a "thought" than anything else. Instinctively and physically, we are virtually all more comfortable at home than in a bustling, at least somewhat impersonal hospital setting. But we "know" that hospitals are "safer," therefore we "feel" safer in them.

But many of our bodies do not. They STILL slow labor when we get there. We STILL feel more stressed in that setting. Our conscious (and often subconscious) tell us that we are "doing the right thing," but most of us never really "feel" it-- in large part because it's not true. I'd compare this to CIO.

That's JMHO. YMMV. But I, for one, would like to try and better inform women who are "scared" to birth at home and MAYBE help a few become more comfortable with the idea. I also think it's important to validate feelings of fear-- but I think it's just as important to explore them, not just to "accept" them, w/o question-- IYKWIM.

If a woman with no history of abuse or anything else said she wasn't going to breastfeed, because she "feels weird" about it, well... I'd acknowledge her feelings, but I'd hope that wouldn't be the end of the conversation, YK?
#7 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagreenribbons
For me I feel more comfortable in the hospital then at home or free standing birth center. Thank you.
Why?
#8 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 05:57 PM

I'll be birthing at the hospital. I think that if this were my first, instead of a VBA2C, and I'd been able to find a midwife, I'd have opted for home. But, when I had ds, I didn't know anything about midwives (I don't think they were legal here at that time, either) and would have had no idea how to find one.

Having had two sections, I'd rather be at the hospital. My doctors (family physician and my OB) are both pretty reasonable about things and aren't going to push a bunch of crap on me that I don't want. It's cleary understood by all of us that induction isn't an option, and pain relief is up to me. If my labour's anything like it was with ds, I won't be taking anything at all...absolutely no epidural! But, if I am one of the very few women who rupture attempting VBAC, I do want to already be at the hospital so no time is wasted.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#9 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 06:01 PM

I believe the best place for most women is home. I think it's more important though fo the woman (and family) to be comfortable and to feel good about where she is. For many, this is a hospital. For many, this is a birth centre. For many, this is home. For optimum birth, a women needs to be at peace with the environment in which she'll birth before she's ever there

I'm having this baby at home. I tried to with my 2nd, but my DH wasn't comfortable at the time with a lay midwife attending and he wanted to be part of thebirth, so we compromised and went to an in-hospital birth centre and had an absolutely fabulous birth. We wereboth comfortable with our choice and location. We are both comfortable with choice and locaion (and attendant) for this birth as well. It's important for me to have my DH and family be supportive and comfortable with all things surrounding birth. Negative energy won't help me any, so I need them on board.

Namaste, Tara
mama to Doodle (6), Butterfly (2 tomorrow!), and Rythm (due at home 1/06)
#10 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 06:08 PM

I think home is the best place for normal birth and think it should be the standard of care for probably about 70% of births. Personally I don't think insurance should cover non-homebirth for those without risk factors.

-Angela
#11 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
I think home is the best place for normal birth and think it should be the standard of care for probably about 70% of births. Personally I don't think insurance should cover non-homebirth for those without risk factors.

-Angela
:

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#12 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 07:13 PM

As for me....I would birth wherever my midwife is...whether it's at home, the hospital or in the dumpster (well, not really). In fact I had a dream last night that for whatever reason I would have to deliver at the hospital where she doesn't have privileges. Well, I got to about 8-9 centimeters so I just went over to her house. So that was that!

But to answer the question...if everything checks out, I can't imagine birthing anywhere but home.
#13 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 07:24 PM

Home!!! I vote for home!!!

You mentioned that, if the pain were to be unbearable, you could transfer to a hospital. I truly believed I would have a natural birth, in the hospital, with my ds, my first kid. What a laugh. After they did a billion and one interventions on me, I got the epidural, all while beating myself up for not being able to tolerate the pain of labor.

I decided on a homebirth for the next babe, and, surprise surprise, I was able to tolerate the pain just fine. It hurt, don't get me wrong, but had I known how wonderful the whole process of laboring and delivering would have been, I'd have had my ds at home as well. The thought of an epidural didn't even cross my mind at home until about 20 minutes before I delivered. At the worst of the worst. Pushing was a breeze. Much easier to deliver squatting instead of lying on one's back.

I vote for home.
#14 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Michelle,

Thank you for your reply on this subject. Why I feel the hospital is best because everything is right there or another section of the building or the hospital if I try alternative birth centre first then going regular birth centre. Then transfering from home or indepent birth centre.
#15 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I think home is best is most situations, and I wish that this soceity were supportive of that. But sadly it's not, and the vast majority of women have their babies in hospitals.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#16 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 08:39 PM

For me, a freestanding, midwife-run birth center. I wish this were an option for everyone. I have had 3 babies at the Women's Birth and Wellness Center (formerly Piedmont Women's Health Care Center) in Chapel Hill, NC and I love love love it, and plan to have the currently gestating one there too.

Homebirth has never particularly appealed to me. I think I must have a different feeling about my home than most homebirthers. I spend a lot of time away from my home. It's always messier, shabbier, less supportive than I would like. I just don't picture myself laboring comfortably there. I picture myself wandering from room to room either noticing the mess that's there or worrying about the mess I'm going to make in it.

I made huge messes at the birthing center and I was just so glad it was somebody else's floors/bed/job to clean up.

Also, I have no desire to birth in front of my children. I think it would inhibit me. I was present at my brother's homebirth when I was 10 and I was alternately bored and frightened.

Nothing about hospital birth and its 1001 interventions appeals to me, so I'm glad to have this in-between option available.

I would not presume to have an opinion about where or how anybody else should give birth.

Jennifer, who does not have a sig yet.
#17 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaramba

I have sympathy for the "the woman needs to be wherever she feels most comfortable" argument-- I used to feel like the OP before I did all my research. However, on some level, I think that MOST women can understand and internalize the idea that home is the safest place to be (for women w/low-risk PGs).

My controversial viewpoint is this: we (for the most part) only "feel" safer in hospitals because of erroneous and myth-filled societal indoctrination. Thus, that "feeling," while in some ways a true feeling, is really more of a "thought" than anything else. Instinctively and physically, we are virtually all more comfortable at home than in a bustling, at least somewhat impersonal hospital setting. But we "know" that hospitals are "safer," therefore we "feel" safer in them.

But many of our bodies do not. They STILL slow labor when we get there. We STILL feel more stressed in that setting. Our conscious (and often subconscious) tell us that we are "doing the right thing," but most of us never really "feel" it-- in large part because it's not true. I'd compare this to CIO.
ITTTTTTTA.
#18 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 09:09 PM

For me it's home but not because of a comfort level (which is nice but not my main reason) but because only independent midwives practice evidence-based care as recommended by the WHO. Hospitals aren't set up for our best interests but for the convenience, as they perceive it, of staff. What I want for my pregnancies and births is care that is based on the best possible evidence and me being the one who makes *all* the decisions. I can't get that in a hospital or birth centre. And I don't want care from a surgeon!
#19 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 10:26 PM

When the question first crossed my mind some 10 years ago, I thought home, except for the lack of pain medications. So hospital - because I hadn't the slightest intention of going around having babies drug free. Gimme the good stuff already, this isn't the 70's But when it came time to actually HAVE a baby? The hospital wasn't offering any drugs good enough to persuade me to endure the experience for, lol. Fear of feeling vulnerable and powerless (and even drugged,) in hospital outweighed fear of labor pain, lol. I needed to be home. And found there are benefits to natural birthing that had never occured to me. (But, knock on wood, should I ever find myself birthing in a hospital I think I'll need the epidural and whatever else they can give me to handle the experience. Hats off to mamas who go drug free in hospitals. They put me on edge - I have trouble just peeing in a public restroom in a hospital, lol.)

ETA: But that bit about not thinking insurance ought to cover in hospital births? Eek. As Jennifer points out that really assumes women have warm, safe, comfortable feelings about their "homes," let alone *actual* safety and security, which isn't the case more frequently than I like to think about.
#20 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 11:44 PM

I think it's wherever you're going to be most relaxed. You'll dilate most effectively if you're comfortable where you are.

For some that will be home, for others that will be in a hospital.

It all depends on your comfort level, and what you need from a medical point of view.

I'm also a bit horrified by the suggestion that home birth should be compulsory! Our water heater can't even fill the sink, let alone a tub! And we have cream carpet!
#21 of 90 Old 07-24-2005, 11:56 PM

We'll see how I feel after I've done it, but my favored choice has always been a freestanding, midwife-run birth center. I see it as the best of both worlds- minimal interventions, midwife philosophy, *and* access to hospital type equipment and a doctor if needed.

Also, I'm with the pp who said that she'd rather make a mess at the birthing center where someone else has to clean it up.

But, all that opinion may change after I give birth for the first time (in a hospital, alas).

Julia
#22 of 90 Old 07-25-2005, 12:07 AM

No mess at my homebirth. And I have cream carpet too.

Why should we pay for people to go to the hospital when they are neither sick nor injured?

makes no sense to me.

-Angela
#23 of 90 Old 07-25-2005, 01:41 AM

I so totally agree with everything mmaramba said (thank you for putting it so well!). Home for me. I mean no offense by this, but as someone who has done her research it's just so annoying to hear the "just in case" argument b/c you're so much more likely to get that "just in case" in the hospital (and then you can shake hands with and thank your OB for "saving" your/your baby's life ). And the mess, ugh - so not an issue. Off-white carpets here for both of my homebirths and they're fine. We mess them up much more with sippie cups and snacks. The midwife takes care of the mess, fwiw. You'll never see it.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#24 of 90 Old 07-25-2005, 01:58 AM

#25 of 90 Old 07-25-2005, 02:42 AM

With more than 30% of first time moms receiving cesarean sections at my local hospital, I'm not fond of thinking that hospital birth is safest.

What I think is funny is how many people look at me and say things like, "SCARY!" when they hear I attend homebirths. I'm so not a huge risk-taker. Not at all. Since most of my clients birth upright, in water, babies born into their own hands and nary a vaginal exam, I'd have to say that the women that walk into the hospital are brave. Very brave.

I don't know that I'd turn my normal birth over to anyone. I'm fond of woman-centered, holistic, hands-off birth. If you can get that in the hospital without a fight, that's great. But, the truth is most women cannot. Giving birth and fighting off "well meaning" providers just does not go hand in hand. It would be like making love while a "well meaning" instructor stood by to watch, get involved "if needed" and make sure things were happening according to their schedule.

For first time moms especially, I think it's so important in today's climate that they birth empowered.
#26 of 90 Old 07-25-2005, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
Why should we pay for people to go to the hospital when they are neither sick nor injured?
-Angela
#27 of 90 Old 07-25-2005, 03:21 AM

since you asked for personal opinon
I choose something not on your list--- Home-- there is no place like home
---------------
woops I misread there is the OP and home is included

" In your eyes, wheres the best place to give birth
Home or Indepent Birth Center or Hospital whether its regular or alternative one."

---------------
and I still think home is best
#28 of 90 Old 07-25-2005, 07:38 AM

I agree that (as they do in some other countries) medicalized obstetric care should not be covered for those who have no complications but that was not what was originally stated. What was said was "non-homebirth" should not be covered which I strongly disagree with because we should not deny women the use of birthing centers. I personally will not leave my home to give birth unless there is a life or death complication but not everyone feels that way and compelling people goes completely against the gentle spirit of homebirth.
#29 of 90 Old 07-25-2005, 07:54 AM

... ....
#30 of 90 Old 07-25-2005, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagreenribbons
Home or Indepent Birth Center or Hospital whether its regular or alternative one.

For me now its at the hospital in the alternative birth center, if something goes wrong or just feel I can't handle the pain anymore, I can just be transfer to the regular birth unit of the hospital.

Thank you.
it totally depends on the situation, and the mother-to-be's comfort levels.

The best place to give birth is wherever you feel most comfortable giving birth. Wherever you feel safe and wherever your wishes and needs are supported.

for me, given my circumstances, it was a homebirth-away-from-home. Given different circumstances, it probably would have been at home instead. I personally do not feel safe or comfortable or supported in a hospital or most birth center environments. I start to panic at the first sight of anything remotely medical, and there's no way I could ever have a positive birth experience with that much fear in my heart.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page