Stripping membranes while GBS positive?? HELP NEEDED - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-31-2005, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for experience or information regarding stripping the membranes of a GBS positive woman. What are the risks?? I have heard that the risk of infection increases drastically, but am curious as to what the exact numbers are. (Links/websites would be appreciated! ) With my first DD, I declined the GBS testing, so the midwife stripped my membranes at 41 weeks with no questions asked. This time, however, I decided to get tested because I didn't want to face the 48 hour hospital stay (they require it with an "unknown status" patient) with a toddler to care for, as she'll be rooming in with us after the labor. Unfortunately, I got a positive GBS result. I am facing an induction in 3 days b/c I will be 2 weeks "overdue" and neither my midwife or her backup OB can "allow" me to go past 42 weeks. I am debating having her strip my membranes tomorrow in hopes of moving things along naturally before the "deadline", but I do have serious reservations about doing it knowing that I am GBS positive. I wonder, though, about the fact that they stripped the membranes with my first pregnancy, without knowing whether I had GBS or not. I could have very easily been positive, but there were no problems (fever, infection, etc.) due to the stripping. I guess I'm trying to find out what the risks are, and if they outweigh the risks of a medical induction. I appreciate any advice or information you can give. THANKS!

JAMIE

Loving wife. Mama to five crazy kids. Follower of Jesus. Doula & Childbirth Educator.

#2 of 15 Old 07-31-2005, 09:08 PM

I would refuse mebrane stripping. I would refuse induction. I would refuse GBS testing. And I would refuse to stay their 48 hours. (they can't make you...) But hey, that's why I homebirth! Take control back. You don't have to do anything they say. Make your own choices.

-Angela
#3 of 15 Old 07-31-2005, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
I would refuse mebrane stripping. I would refuse induction. I would refuse GBS testing. And I would refuse to stay their 48 hours. (they can't make you...) But hey, that's why I homebirth! Take control back. You don't have to do anything they say. Make your own choices.

-Angela
Very well put.. I agree 100%!!!
#4 of 15 Old 07-31-2005, 09:31 PM

For GBS+, I've heard that a hibiclens wash in labor greatly reduces (maybe even eliminates) baby's exposure to GBS. In fact, it works better than the antibiotics w/ no side-effects (I think there's no side-effects anyway).

Perhaps, if you feel that going ahead w/ the membrane stripping is what you do want to do, then you can use a hibiclens wash before your doc strips your membranes (then again in labor).
#5 of 15 Old 08-01-2005, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna

-Angela

Must highlight this part here :don't have to do anything they say.

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#6 of 15 Old 08-01-2005, 12:49 PM

I don't know if she has insurance or not, but assuming she has, most insurance will not cover a hospital stay when you leave against doctors orders. I used to work for one and I am very aware of this clause. Very small print.
#7 of 15 Old 08-01-2005, 02:17 PM

Actually there was a thread here a month or so ago about this very same thing- it seems that for the most part insurance not covering if you leave AMA is an urban legend. Hospitals play it up. Everyone here who had left ama had no problem getting insurance to cover.

-Angela
#8 of 15 Old 08-01-2005, 02:20 PM

I guess that depends on how hard the doc or hospital pushes it because I was made to deny a few. I didn't last long there.
#9 of 15 Old 08-02-2005, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My insurance covers the stay if you leave AMA.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#10 of 15 Old 08-03-2005, 10:19 AM

Quote:
For GBS+, I've heard that a hibiclens wash in labor greatly reduces (maybe even eliminates) baby's exposure to GBS. In fact, it works better than the antibiotics w/ no side-effects (I think there's no side-effects anyway)
I hope you meant that you think there are no SEs to the hibiclens wash and not that you think there are no SEs to IV antibiotics. (No drugs are w/o SEs)

Yep, I agree with PPs. You don't have to do anything that other people say. If they say they won't "allow" you, it sounds like they're looking out for their own butts.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#11 of 15 Old 08-03-2005, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I hope you meant that you think there are no SEs to the hibiclens wash and not that you think there are no SEs to IV antibiotics. (No drugs are w/o SEs)
Of course!
#12 of 15 Old 08-03-2005, 12:25 PM

OT:
My insurance pays if I leave the hospital AMA *but* they will not cover my stay if I return to the hospital due to complications.

DS 6 DD 8
#13 of 15 Old 08-10-2005, 07:15 PM

What a potentially tough decision. What did you decide? How did things go?
#14 of 15 Old 08-10-2005, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

I decided not to have the membrane sweep. Fortunately, I went into labor naturally the day before the induction was planned. Here's my birth story: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=325929

JAMIE

Loving wife. Mama to five crazy kids. Follower of Jesus. Doula & Childbirth Educator.

#15 of 15 Old 08-11-2005, 11:20 AM

Congratulations!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page