Cesarean Section Support Thread August 2005 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 154 Old 08-29-2005, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all! I haven't read through the whole thread, but am just going to jump back in, I used to post here, and kind of lost the group after my last birth. I am sorry to the mamas who have lost babies.

My story is that I have had 3 c-sections and with the last one, my uterus was opened when the OB opened me up, basically a 3 inch section was open along my old scar line and by some miracle, the amniotic sac had not broken and ds and I were both fine. I have been advised though, to avoid pregnancy indefinitely, b/c I basically ruptured prior to even laboring (just from braxton hicks contractions) and therefore, we (OB and I) are not confident in my body's ability to heal properly from the c-sections, and carry another baby to term. The way I see it, we got our miracle and I won't be asking for another.

That said, we use Natural Family Planning, so we are still open to God sending us another miracle at some point.

Kim- I see that you have your new little one, Congrats, last I was posting here you were still thinking of getting pregnant again, so I guess all that talk too action . Congratulations!

~Patty

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 154 Old 08-30-2005, 05:16 AM

i know this may sound crazy, but i have had 2 cs's w/ my sons (both emergency due to fetal distress...kids were both 9 lbs.) and an ectopic preg. suffice it to say that i am experienced at this point in getting cut open.
however, i was watching a stupid TV show yesterday (something like "Make Room for Baby" on Discovery Health channel) out of curiosity of what they were doing with the nursery when i got very squeemish about the mother's birth (i had to actually stop knitting and change the channel during the epidural). Am I crazy? I mean, this cs is planned and there really aren't other options being considered at this point, but jeez...shouldn't i be immune to this stuff?????
#123 of 154 Old 08-30-2005, 01:14 PM

I don't see why you'd be immune. About three years after my first c-section, I watched "The Operation" on tv, and it was a section. About a minute into the actual surgery, my scar started to ache (hadn't hurt at all in well over a year, maybe two), and didn't stop for about an hour. The scars from sections aren't all on our bodies, and they don't go away quickly..

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#124 of 154 Old 08-30-2005, 01:23 PM

Storm bride - that is amazing, I thought I was the only one who got scar pain/itching when i think about my surgery or another baby. I thought i was imagining it or it was just coincidence.
#125 of 154 Old 08-30-2005, 02:00 PM

Well, at that time, my scar itched a lot - but it never hurt...except when I watched that surgery.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#126 of 154 Old 08-30-2005, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby slippers
Storm bride - that is amazing, I thought I was the only one who got scar pain/itching when i think about my surgery or another baby. I thought i was imagining it or it was just coincidence.
That also happens to me. Especially when I am particularily depressed about my c-section.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#127 of 154 Old 08-30-2005, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Me too sometimes.
#128 of 154 Old 08-30-2005, 06:46 PM

new here, but getting acquainted. I had a c-section with my first born almost a year ago already. Commited to trying a VBAC with the next child. Need to find a different practice than the one I had when I had my son though. I've already been told that a c-section will be scheduled. Yeah. Thanks.

Do you ladies still feel your scars? and not just when you're thinking about it - just every now and then out of nowhere? I mean- as in twinges of pain? It's not all the time, but everynow and then it's like I just woke up with it again. Just a constant reminder of how my labor failed tha I fear will never go away.
#129 of 154 Old 08-30-2005, 07:13 PM

I felt mine for a few years with my first one - but that was just occasional itching (aside from the time I watched the surgery). With my second, the pain took longer to go away in the first place, but didn't come as often afterwards (don't know if I explained that well). My third was only 5 weeks ago, and is still too numb for me to say - it generally only hurts if I really overdo it and/or my bladder is full.

Unless there's actually something wrong, the pain will go away. It's just that it is major surgery, so it's not something that you just bounce back from.

#130 of 154 Old 08-31-2005, 02:20 AM

i feel it sometimes but the it has itched more than anything over the years. the biggest effect for me is that it is such a sensitive area. i cant stand for it to be touched (as well as the epidural area where the needle went in and around my belly button where they went in for exploratory surgery with the ectopic).
i am a fairly strong person but i am getting really scared of going under the knife again. this may sound weird too, but with the other 2 boys, i didnt ANTICIPATE a cs...both of them i tried to birth naturally w/o med. (in a hospital..if you can ever call that natural). with the 1st, 36 hrs. of labor..the 2nd was a little better but not by much. when the cs decision had to be made, there was no choice. now, i am "scheduling" a cs and i really dont know what that means. i am going to tell my dr. that i am NOT going to go in on his "non-golf" day and have this baby though. i have though about that for the last couple of days. i am going to experience labor if i can (and i dont see why i cant).
any thoughts on my rebellion?
Rach
#131 of 154 Old 08-31-2005, 01:22 PM

A week before my due date with dd (my second), my FP discovered that she'd flipped - footling breech. She and my OB arranged a scheduled section for two days later. When the OB's office called, I flipped out - had not expected another baby to flip, and the pregnancy had gone really well. I'd had every expectation of VBAC. The OB and my FP talked me into the scheduled section, and I hated it. It felt totally unnatural to just show up at the hospital with no indication that baby was ready to arrive. I didn't like that baby's birth date depended on the hospital operating schedule. But, I'd let myself be talked/bullied into the section.

Afterwards, I asked my FP if I could try for a VBA2C with my next one, and she said no - the risks were too high. I thought I'd be okay with that and went ahead and got pregnant with number three.

After three months of nightmares about surgery and bouts of insomnia, I realized I was not okay with a scheduled repeat. So, I came online, did a lot of research and got stubborn. I refused to schedule, and said I was going to try for a VBA2C. My FP was totally freaked out, but my OB was okay with it, once he was sure I understood the risk of rupture.

DS wound up going to 41 weeks, 5 days. My OB had scheduled a section, because things were going on so long. I went to his office with early signs of prelabour the day before the scheduled surgery, and was going to refuse the surgery. He told me he'd withdraw from my case. As I couldn't see any reasonable possibility of finding a new caregiver at that point, I went along with the section - didn't see any real choice at that point. I went into labour that night...contraction 8 minutes apart and lasting about 30 seconds when I got to the hospital. I was only about 1cm dilated, so they did the section, anyway. I wanted to argue, but I just didn't have the energy to fight, anymore.

Anyway, the point of the long, rambling post above is that I lost - but I also won. Evan would have almost definitely arrived on the day of the surgery if I'd birthed vaginally. He arrived when he was ready to, instead of three weeks earlier, which is when they'd have scheduled me if I hadn't "rebelled". My milk came in well - nursing went well - Evan and my body were both ready for him to be here.

Rebel if that's what's right for you. Many women find the scheduled sections easier - but I found it absolutely brutal.

#132 of 154 Old 08-31-2005, 02:22 PM

Well, I think I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from most of the ladies on this thread. Once I'm pregnant again, I will plan the next delivery as a c-sec, just because I am scared to death that I won't be able to bring my next baby home. I'm more comfortable with a c-sec than V delivery, however I probally will freak out when the time comes, because I had the perfect healthy pregnancy on my first baby up until I was induced, then everything went down hill from there.
As far as itching and my scar goes...I am 8 weeks post c-sec and I have no pain and no itching! Now, I don't know if that will change over time, but I hope not. The only problem I still have is bleeding. Will it ever stop? I thought I had what might have been my period last week, but then this morning it started getting heavier again! : Argh! I just wish I was back on a "normal" cycle again. Well, maybe I'm on my period now. Who knows?

partners.gif = angel2.gifloveeyes.gif & shy.gif
#133 of 154 Old 08-31-2005, 04:15 PM

I am just so afraid that when the EDD comes near for #2 that I will be pushed into a c/s. I don't MEAN to be a rebel, but darn it!! I'm young (27) and was perfectly healthy never even had a stitch before I had my c-section. There should be no reason that I couldn't have a babby vaginally. If I set myself up for and get into the mindset that I can have a VBAC, and then labor fails me again, that is my greatest fear. I just have to find a caregiver that can be that labor coach I need and help me work through the fear so be sucessful. Then watch out world!! There'll be no stopping me!! :
#134 of 154 Old 08-31-2005, 05:11 PM

Hi . Haven't posted in away..remember me agonizing over having a section..4th degree tear w/ shoulder dystocia history. Anyway. My section is planning for next Tuesday, day after Labor Day.
I was wondering how you handled taking care of the baby in the hospital , with nursing and everything when it's hard to move around. Any advice.

Maria
#135 of 154 Old 08-31-2005, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamiagal
Anyway. My section is planning for next Tuesday, day after Labor Day. I was wondering how you handled taking care of the baby in the hospital , with nursing and everything when it's hard to move around. Any advice.

Maria
Make sure that you have a SOLID support team to stay with you in the hospital. Make your voice known BEFORE the c-section how important breastfeeding is to you and how you want that baby latched on to you as soon as possible.

You will be drugged up and shaking probably. I couldn't physically nurse DS without someone helping me for at least 8 hours after surgery. DO NOT let the nurses take your baby out of the room. Just have your partner or support person take care of the baby. Tell your support people this too. You might be too out of it depending on how much they drug you up to say anything.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#136 of 154 Old 08-31-2005, 05:41 PM

Any help you can get from your dh or other support person is wonderful. It's much easier if you can use the bed to help get into a nursing position before someone else hands you the baby (for the first few days, at least). Once you're a bit mobile, you can probably take him/her out of the bassinet from the bed.

Also - don't let the nurses tell you what position to use. They all love the football hold and side-lying, but those positions don't work for me at all. I'm better off to just hold baby in a cradle hold, despite a bit more pressure on the incision. I'm not saying that you should use the cradle hold - just make sure you find out what works for you!

As other posters have said, it does help to get on your feet asap. DH spent most of the three days in the hospital with me, and we'd walk around the ward with him carrying the baby, while I focussed on staying upright. But, I did push baby around the ward in the bassinet a few times. I wasn't quite up to walking very far while carrying him, so I only did that within my room.

hmm...none of that's very helpful, but if I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

#137 of 154 Old 08-31-2005, 05:43 PM

Oh - and another thing. Decide ahead of time about morphine. They routinely administer it here, and I find the itching (you may not get any, but many moms do) more distracting than pain when trying to nurse my baby.

#138 of 154 Old 08-31-2005, 05:54 PM

Is morophine part of the perkoset (sp?) family? I am allergic to perkoset and so I got something else that actually I liked much better it didn't totally knock me on my butt. It started with a D I will have to go home and look at my bottle.

#139 of 154 Old 08-31-2005, 05:54 PM

I echo Lisa - try to get on your feet as soon as possible. And sinch that belt thing they put around your waist up tight!! My husband made me laugh and it hurt, but I think that actually helped me heal faster. I took lots of Motrin and was still able to BF without any ill affect to ds.
#140 of 154 Old 08-31-2005, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaytonsMom
And sinch that belt thing they put around your waist up tight!! My husband made me laugh and it hurt, but I think that actually helped me heal faster. I took lots of Motrin and was still able to BF without any ill affect to ds.
What belly thing? I never had one. Will I not heal as well because of it?

#141 of 154 Old 08-31-2005, 06:16 PM

It's a big white velcro "belt" the nurses put around my abdomen to kinda cinch things up. I don't think it's needed for healing, but it sure felt good- and hurt when it was loosened... I've also heard that just placing a pillow over your belly to add some extra pressure will feel good but I never tried that.
#142 of 154 Old 08-31-2005, 08:15 PM

Thank you for all of the advice. What do you suggest for pain relief if I forgo the duramorph? I believe I am getting a spinal, which only lasts a couple of hours. I already told my doctor that I do not want any mind altering drugs or anything that will make me groggy. I do not want to be itching from duramorph, any suggestions? Would motrin alone get me past those first few days? I bought the belt from Babies R us. I think I am all set.

Thanks.

Maria
#143 of 154 Old 08-31-2005, 08:36 PM

Quote:
What do you suggest for pain relief if I forgo the duramorph? I believe I am getting a spinal, which only lasts a couple of hours.....I bought the belt from Babies R us. I think I am all set.
I had duramorph after my first c section and the itching was terrible. This time, since I had GA, the OB was going to give me morpheine via the PCA (patient controlled analgesia) pump, but I asked if he could give me something else. He gave me Dilauded instead. Its a different form of morpheine and I didn't react to it.

I never had one of the belts, although I can see where they would be helpful. I liked to wear tight exercise shorts (not super tight, but snug) to hold in my belly and that worked really well for me.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#144 of 154 Old 08-31-2005, 08:55 PM

I never had the belly thing either. My best piece of advice would be to get out of bed as soon as you can. I breastfed the baby skin to skin in the recovery room with the help of the nurses. I also held the baby in the OR - the midwife lay the baby on my chest (all wrapped up though) but it still was so important to me as that is one thing I had imagined would happen with my vag delivery - you know the baby comes out screaming and the place him/her on your chest. The first day was a bit of a blur - the baby was born at 9am - but the next day I said I wanted the IV out, the foley out and with the help of my dh and percocet I was out of bed. Gas pain was bad. I have read that chewing gum after the surgery can help prevent gas pain.
#145 of 154 Old 08-31-2005, 09:21 PM

Quote:
My best piece of advice would be to get out of bed as soon as you can.
Yes, getting out of bed as soon as you can is critical. Within 12 hours of my surgery this last time I was up and walking (slowly), without a catheter and eating real food.

I would also pack your regular clothes for the hospital. It made me feel so much more human and less of a "patient" to be in my own clothes. Remember to take your own toiletries, etc. Most hospitals these days provide nothing. I also always bring 2-3 pillows from home. The ones at the hospital are crappy. Make sure they are in older, brightly colored pillowcases, so housekeeping doesn't walk away with them.

This last time I had a way fancy bed that would automatically inflate and deflate when you placed weight on it for long periods of time. (Not sure how to describe it.) Its goal was to relieve pressure and to help prevent clots. It was weird at first, but it was SOOOO comfy at night. I missed that bed after I got home. I also missed the controls to raise and lower the bed. That makes it so much easier to get out of bed without putting pressure on the incision.

Also, make nice with the nurses and ask them to wake you at night so that you don't miss your pain meds dose. I missed one the second night and I felt like crap for half the next day while I was chasing the pain from that missed dose. But as long as I stayed on top of the pain meds, I never had any trouble.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#146 of 154 Old 08-31-2005, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoldber
He gave me Dilauded instead. Its a different form of morpheine and I didn't react to it.
That is what I had and I liked it. I definitely feel more "with it" when I take it. Here is a tip. I would take a half dose then an hour or 2 hours later take the other half and space it out. If I took the whole dose I got really sleepy so I would only take a whole dose if I was in a lot of pain.

#147 of 154 Old 08-31-2005, 10:11 PM

I switched to Tylenol on the second or third day this time. But, they were giving me an anti-inflammatory, as well. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of it. I guess it probably helped, but I'm not sure how much.

I find the opposite of the pp who said to have a nurse wake you up for your pain meds. I think everybody has to work that one out for themselves, but I'd have rather had the sleep - they woke me up for everything that crossed their minds...checking vitals, giving me meds, baby needs to eat (because I'd forgotten to record a feeding : , etc., etc., etc. My first night home, I got about three times as much sleep as I had at the hospital - with nothing but over-the-counter Tylenol for pain relief.

Honestly, if I do have a fourth section, I'm tempted to check myself AMA on the second day, then go back to have my staples removed. I find it very hard to rest and relax at the hospital.

#148 of 154 Old 08-31-2005, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerchic21
Here is a tip. I would take a half dose then an hour or 2 hours later take the other half and space it out.
Hm. Mine was not an oral med, but in a PCA pump through my IV. It was a substitute essentially for Duramorph since I did not have an epidural. Anyway, I only had it for about 12 hours until they removed the IV. After that I got Percocet (a codeine form with tylenol) and ibuprofen.

I have never heard of an oral form of Dilaudid. Maybe Darvocet?

ETA: D'oh! Never mind, just looked it up and Dilaudid is indeed available in tablet form.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#149 of 154 Old 09-01-2005, 12:19 PM

I only got to see my baby in the OR. They held him up next to my arm so I could see that precious face. Just seeing him was the medicine I needed to relax and I was able to sleep until they woke me up in the recovery room. Soon after I woke up there DH brought him to me and I was able to BF him almost instantly. Since I couldn't have a natural birth, at least BFing him came very natural.

I had my scetion almpost a year ago now but now that you mention it, I do rememebr the itching was awful as well. I think I was just given some Benedril.

I didn't know you could buy those belts. Mine was a "gift" from the hospital.
#150 of 154 Old 09-01-2005, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Thank you for all of the advice. What do you suggest for pain relief if I forgo the duramorph? I believe I am getting a spinal, which only lasts a couple of hours. I already told my doctor that I do not want any mind altering drugs or anything that will make me groggy. I do not want to be itching from duramorph, any suggestions? Would motrin alone get me past those first few days? I bought the belt from Babies R us. I think I am all set.

Thanks.

Maria

I had a spinal with my second section, at 11pm. That night I was able to self dose with the IV pain meds in my room and the next day I was able to have Percoet and Tylenol.. alternating.. to help with the pain. My situation was a little different. My c/s was after 4 hours of hard pushing.. and I also had a nicked bladder from the surgery.. so I was is a little worse shape than most I think.. I felt like I had been hit by a truck the next day but by day 2 post c/s I was feeling good and could request my meds when I needed them

Chantal

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page