How Painful Would You Rate Your Labor (PRIOR TO ANY MEDICATIONS OR DRUGS) - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Rate the level of pain you had in labor-multiple choices allowed for multiple births
Not painful at all / Homebirth 16 100.00%
Moderately painful / Homebirth 62 100.00%
Horribly painful / Homebirth 40 100.00%
Not painful at all / Birth Center 7 77.78%
Moderately painful / Birth Center 30 100.00%
Horribly painful / Birth Center 19 100.00%
Not painful at all / Hospital 22 100.00%
Moderately painful / Hospital 82 100.00%
Horribly painful / Hospital 75 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How painful would you rate your labor? Curious... the difference between home, birth center, and hospital.

Going to allow multiple votes in case you had multiple pregnancies. Only answer multiple vote if you had more than one labor and delivery.

Please do not include any pain medication you may have had - only rate your labor pains without any pain medications and pain level -before- pitocin or other drugs.

If labor was induced and if you had pitocin - please add note in thread. Thanks!
#2 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 12:09 AM

On a scale of 1-10, ten being the worst pain I've ever experienced, my labor itself was about a three or four. Pushing would rate a nine, though. But by then, even if drugs had been available, it was too late for them. Honestly, it never even crossed my mind that I might need something for the pain. Not like being in the hospital before DD1 was born and having them come in offering me drugs and I wasn't even in labor yet!

With DD1, even after being given Cytotec, my contractions weren't as painful as my menstrual cramps (but I have endo). I never did really go into hard labor before the cesarean, though.
#3 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 12:14 AM

I had both a homebirth transfer to hospital birth and a homebirth. I had to be honest with myself and rate them both as horribly painful. In retrospect, they don't seem that bad and the homebirth seems very enjoyable and as something I'd do again in a second, but for both at the time, I just wanted to die. Also complicated by the fact that with the first birth I had horrible back labor and the second had this weird upper thigh labor thing that I have never heard of before.

I do want to add that I found the pain transformative and my ability to work through it has strengthened my view of myself. I think I would have been a little disappointed if my labor was pain free. Is that bizarre? I really felt as if the trials and tribulations of both my labors connected me to years of female ancestors and that I was able to draw down from that line through time and add their strength to mine.
#4 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 12:25 AM

hey, you stole my poll!! :LOL but I was going ask "how painful was your last birth?" to eliminate the multiple birth thing.

I have had three moderately painful hospital births and one horribly painful homebirth.
#5 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistermama
Also complicated by the fact that with the first birth I had horrible back labor and the second had this weird upper thigh labor thing that I have never heard of before.
whoa... I've had "leg labor" with my last 2. With the last one, the horribly painful one, it was totally unmanageable no matter what position I was in, or in or out of the water. For me it started out in upper thigh and then went down to my knees as labor progressed. I felt the contraction from my belly button to my knees. I was completely paralyzed by the pain.

A friend of mine had an epidural that just took on her legs, but gave no relief to her abdominal/ back area. I joked with her that I would have taken just the leg epidural to not have felt that!
#6 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had 3 homebirths. All were intense, but my UC was by far the least painful. I didn't have a completly painless birth, but I did have several painless contractions, which didn't happen in my first 2 births.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#7 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 12:29 AM

The worst pain I have ever had is my thumb nail being ripped off. Second was having a tooth drilled. Third was a mc.

I have had 3 hb and they have been moderate. Of course the joyous bundle you get at the end really helps the pain :LOL
#8 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 12:32 AM

I voted "Not painful at all". My contractions never got really painful for either labor. Pushing dd (my first) out wasn't even painful. I had some mild burning, but that's it. With ds, no painful contractions, but getting his big head out hurt a bit. He was more than 2lbs heavier than dd. The afterpains were almost more than I could handle, though! Yeeouch!
#9 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 12:35 AM

Moderately painful hospital birth. It felt like really bad menstrual cramps. Maybe I just have bad periods?
#10 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee
whoa... I've had "leg labor" with my last 2. With the last one, the horribly painful one, it was totally unmanageable no matter what position I was in, or in or out of the water. For me it started out in upper thigh and then went down to my knees as labor progressed. I felt the contraction from my belly button to my knees. I was completely paralyzed by the pain.
That's exactly how mine was. It was a little better in the water, but I knew from my first birth that I couldn't spend too much time in the water, because it really slowed my labor down. I spent most of the time writhing on the floor.
#11 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 12:44 AM

you know, i can't even rate my labor pain on the "pain scale" because it doesn't even compare.

the worst pain i've ever had was having glass shards lodged in my cornea.

second to that (and a close second) is my endometriosis.

third were the miscarriages i had (which really had a huge psychological component, which i think is what made them hurt so much, if you kwim?)...

whereas labor ~ it's kind of achey, and then it's really achey, and then it's really intense, and then it hurts like a SOB and then it's OVER. *poof* no more pain. just afterpains (which, ok, sure those can HURT but they're intermittent, and you KNOW they aren't going to keep on hurting. they'll go away) and a beautiful smiling baby.
#12 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

I've broken bones and had surgery. My surgery was a bi-lateral breast reduction where they removed tissue (not fat) and relocated my nipples. I didn't take any pain medication for the surgery because it kept making me vomit!

The level of pain I felt after surgery for the first 3 days was the same level of pain I felt giving birth. I rate my labor moderate - UNTIL they gave me pitocin - then it became a complete and absolute nightmere. But I rated my birth moderate because I am looking to find average levels of pain without drug interventions.

Every woman has different levels of pain in childbirth. My GF said all 3 of her labors were cake walks - like bad periods.
#13 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 12:57 AM

Both my labors (homebirths) were less painful than some of the dental work I've had done! Transition was the only time I was in extreme pain and that was very short each time- about five minutes. It was all manageable.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#14 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 01:03 AM

#15 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistermama
Also complicated by the fact that with the first birth I had horrible back labor and the second had this weird upper thigh labor thing that I have never heard of before.
G*d, I thought I was the only woman on the planet that had thigh pain, on one leg! I wanted to cut my own leg off, at the hip, with a butter knife!

Back labor was the absolute worse, and i prayed to die. When i had "front labor", i felt like i could whistle it was so easy.
#16 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 01:05 AM

oops! before pit= 3-4
after pit through pushing with a posterior babe (back labor)= 9-10
after c-section anesthesia didn't work and I felt the incision= 15
after they put me to sleep= 0, THANK GOD!
So much for my hands-off waterbirth, ugh! My peaceful birth vanished into my nightmare...I wish I could replay it again differently! Sorry my story is such a downer.
#17 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 01:09 AM

My only birth, a homebirth, was so far beyond the worst pain i could ever have imagined. It was horrible, tortuous, unbelieveable hell. I had about 5 hours of early active labor (1-4 cm's), which was painful, but manageable, then about 4 hours of active labor (5-7 cms), which was horrible, the worst pain i could have imagined......and then SEVEN FREAKING HOURS of transition, which was just so far beyond hell, i really never would have believed a person could endure that kind of pain and live, let alone remain conscious..i honestly believed a human would pass out before experiencing anything likethe hell i went through. Then like 15 minutes of pushing (involuntary, my uterus was all about expelling that baby!) which was ...there are no words...excruciating hell doesn't even come close to describing it.....like being run over by a train and somehow staying conscious....absolute horror. A screaming nightmare.
Dang, can anyone tell i absolutely HATED giving birth, lol?
But, i was rewarded with the cutest baby ever, so I guess it's all even, right?
Oh, and for the record, I've had broken bones, horrible burns/road pizza from an ugly motorcycle accident, and all my wisdon teeth removed at once, none of which compared at all to giving birth..I'd get all the skin burned off my knee by a motorcycle exhaust pipe again in an instant rather than go through labor again.

CPST
#18 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
I could barely think or see.

I have a good tolerance for pain, generally speaking. I'll pick up glass, walk across a Nevada sidewalk shoeless, take martial arts with sparring, get hit in the face, whatever.

That was nothing. Nothing compared to this.
That is what pitocin did to me. I wasn't aware of what was going on around me - everything was a haze. Not to say it didn't hurt prior to the pitocin - it did... a lot - but I could cope even tho BP was 210/117. I can cope with just about anything you throw at me... After the pitocin - oh boy. Felt like I was gonna die.
#19 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 01:14 AM

Jess, I am sorry....but I am laughing at your post!! Why? because it sounds alot like my first birth!! I stayed at 9cm for 7 hours, because of crevical swelling and "a little lip". All in my back. I felt like someone was jumping up and down on my fractured spine.

Pushing felt good, and she was out in 20 minutes.
#20 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 01:15 AM

I voted moderately painful- home. I did transfer to the hospital, but I did the majority of my labour at home- more than 24 hours of a 36 hour labour. I did get an epidural at the hospital, and getting it hurt worse than labour. It took more than a half hour because the anesthetist couldn't get it in right. I completely regret it. It made me feel physically and emotionally disconnected, made my bp crash too low, and it caused a whole slew of problems. I only got it because I had been too keyed up to eat or sleep or even rest during my long labour and was utterly exhausted. It wasn't that my labour was unbelievably painful. IT was just so long. I know better for next time hopefully.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#21 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 01:17 AM

I voted Moderately Painful/Homebirth to describe my 2nd birth. My 1st birth was in a hospital and horribly painful, it was AWFUL!!! I wanted to die!!!!

Sara Mama to DS (6) and DS (4)
#22 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
I have never experienced anything so unbelievably f*ing painful in my entire life.

Seriously.

I
After then, it was literally excruciating. I've never been crucified, of course, but this really hurt like living hell, like everything in my body wanted to come out. I was going through transition, throwing up, attended only by my poor husband in the bathroom of the room they'd decided I deserved after I amnioed all over their waiting room hallway.

That was nothing. Nothing compared to this.

Oh my god..im sorry for you, but you are the only person i have ever had describe birth as anything near as painful as what i experinced. Makes me feel a little better, especially since most homebirthers i know make it sound so wonderful, and say thing like they had no pain, or very little pain....I felt like a freak admitting I'd experienced horrific pain.

And then of course, my daughter-in-law, who'd had a baby about a year before mine, keeps blabbing about how she had painless contractions up until she was 10 cms..then she had *one* that hurt and so she got the epidural, ---when she was 10 cms and the baby was at +1 station. And people wonder why MIL's hate their DIL's....**joking** Anyway...glad to know im not the only one!

CPST
#23 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 01:32 AM

I put horribly painful, but I was induced with pitocin after my waters broke.

Now people *say* that makes it worse, but to be honest I just think I'm a wimp.

It felt like my hips were in a vice and each side was being in a different direction. I started each contraction with a full-bore scream, and my husband was literally fighting me off as I tried to bite his shoulder. I couldn't even stand still long enough to have my doula put pressure on my hips from behind. I was shuddering convulsively, throwing up everywhere. I have never even imagined that pain that bad could exist. I was totally and utterly convinced I was in transition.

I was 3cm.
#24 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 01:33 AM

My labor experience was not painful at all. I took a hypnobirthing class and was very focused on my meditations through out the entire labor except for 2 contractions in the car on the way to the birth center. I lost my focus and pulled my knees up and tightened up my whole body and the 2 contractions I had before I could get back into my mental groove hurt a bit but not excruciating at all - more like a menstrual cramp -sort of achey.

I walked in the door to the birth center at 9 cm and was told I could push when ever I wanted to. I laughed and said "WHAT! You're kidding me! This has been so easy!" The midwife said "Great, I'm glad....but you have not pushed yet. That might get a little harder."

I got in the tub and loved it. I might add that my water did not break until I started pushing in the tub. I couldn't get the hang of pushing in the tub so got out and tried the squating bar. No luck. I ended up sitting on the toilet and was able to move her down there. I moved to the bed to birth her. I didn't feel the "ring of fire" that I have heard about. My midwife had several warm washcloths and massage oil for my perineum so maybe that is why.

I did feel a little sting when I got a tiny tear as dd's shoulder was coming out. After she was born the midwife was assessing the tear and deciding whether to stitch it or not. It was an odd little flap on the side of my inner labia. She thought it would hold a stitch and I immediately said "I want drugs." She said "oh, are you feeling pain now?" I guess she thought I might be having afterpains. I said "Oh no, I feel fine but you're not coming near me with a suture needle with out anesthetic!"

I sum up my labor experience by saying "It was a piece of cake".

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#25 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe

It felt like my hips were in a vice and each side was being in a different direction. I started each contraction with a full-bore scream, and my husband was literally fighting me off as I tried to bite his shoulder. I couldn't even stand still long enough to have my doula put pressure on my hips from behind. I was shuddering convulsively, throwing up everywhere. I have never even imagined that pain that bad could exist. I was totally and utterly convinced I was in transition.

I was 3cm.
No, I don't think you are a wimp. My labor was very painful but the pitocin brought it to a whole new level. Pitocin is a very nasty drug. I wish the OBGYN's that admister that junk were on the other end just for once... they would be a lot less likely to reccomend it IMO.
#26 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 01:50 AM

Really was not that bad - then with hypno-birthing and homeopathy was great! I birthed in a very basic birthing center as it had a very nice tub! I had to push for 3 hours as DD was helping pull herself out with her hand but went home 2 hours later.

Who stole my signature!
#27 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 01:50 AM

Homebirth- horribly painful due to the fact that I had a condition called cervical stenosis caused by previous cryosurgery of the cervix- basically I had so much scar tissue on my cervix that it wouldn't open no matter how hard my uterus was trying to contract- contractions were intense and 1 minute long, 1 minute apart for about 18 hours- my midwife had to break up the scar tissue and still I didn't dilate fully, had to push ds past the cervix I had left.

Also my water broke as labor began and I know that tends to make things more painful. Luckily I won't have to worry about this issue in future births- really the only thing I've ever experienced in my life that was more painful was the cryosurgery.

Still a very positive experience overall, I felt I overcame a lot and felt very empowered.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#28 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 02:20 AM

You mamas with thigh labor: Ever had thigh menstrual cramps? I get them nearly every month (only the left thigh, always the left), and I've always felt like if labor pain is much more than that, I don't know how to deal. Anyway, thigh labor is a fear of mine, but it's so unusual that no one I know has ever mentioned it before.
#29 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe

I was 3cm.
don't forget ~ fear and pain like that can make you close back up. so... it might even be likely that you were more dilated, and the stress of the exam simply was too much for your physiology. s what an awful experience, mama.
#30 of 82 Old 08-28-2005, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
On a scale of 0-10

1girl: -12-
2: -50-
3: -1-
4: -3-

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page