Should I really expect a shorter labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2005, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pregnant with my 4th and am wondering if I can really expect a shorter labor. My 1st was 8hrs, 2nd was 3 hours and my 3rd was 35 minutes start to finish. (Granted the last one was a week overdue.) What should I expect this time around?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2005, 10:58 PM

HEHE! if they get any shorter, you should expect to wake up and find another baby in your bed.

My first was 9 hours (11 days late)
second was 4.5 hours (7 days late)
third was almost 3 hours. (3 days early)
I hope I get the 35 minutes this time. Did your midwife make it/or did you make it to the hospital in time?
Old 08-28-2005, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

My midwife did make it. She was there in 15 minutes. I was 5cm for a week and took castor oil, so she expected it. It was quite intense.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:09 PM

Well I heard labors are half as long each time.. LOL, so whats half of 35 mins??

Really tho, you cant predict, but having a history of fast labors I would be prepared for one.

My first was 16 hours
second was 5 hours
3rd was 42 minutes LOL
4th and 5th were induced and about 1 1/2 hours from active labor(5cm) to birth. It seems I dont feel much of anything until 5cm, and then its over in no time.

I dont know what to expect this time.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:09 AM
Banned

I see a wonderful trend here
Old 08-29-2005, 04:20 AM

Wow! I'd love to hear other's experiences, too. My DH keeps saying this one will be so quick (my first was about 4 1/2 hours) but any shorter seemed really short to me. :LOL
Old 08-29-2005, 12:00 PM

Well there are no guarantees, but no matter what it sounds like you will have a fast labor- even your first was only 8 hours.

I do think the fact that you were trying to induce last time might mean this one could be a little longer (like 2 or 3 hours ) if it all happens naturally.

My labors sure aren't that fast- the first was over 30 and the second about 10, but I wouldn't mind that long again. I don't know if I'd want a 35 minute labor
Old 08-29-2005, 12:05 PM

LOL...this thread's so encouraging! My first labor was 53 hours and 3 1/4 hours pushing....I'll gladly take a shorter one this time. :LOL

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 08-29-2005, 12:21 PM

I hate to be the lone voice of dissention...

My first lasted from Wednesday to Sunday morning...

My 2nd was about 20ish hours.

My 3rd was about 12 hours.

This one I suspect will be about 12 hours. I sincerely do not mind a longish labor. I need time to wrap my mind around the idea of labor. Does that make sense? I fully expect hours before things get serious... I like labor, for the most part. For me, it doesn't get serious until right before pushing. Up to that point, I'm feeling happy and excited.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:59 PM

My midwife has had some moms of second (or more) babies have their first sensing of labor happen when they woke up and felt ready to push.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:02 PM

My first was just over 7 hrs from water breaking (first sign of labor) to birth (the active/painful part being about 4 hrs).

My second labor was about 3 weeks long. :LOL No, seriously...I was having loads of BHs, and walked around dilated 3-4 cm and nearly completely effaced for over 2 weeks, feeling emotionally and physically like the baby was coming at any moment. Very frustrating! Once labor really did get going (after my midwife swept my membranes to see if that would nudge me over the edge into active labor) it happened pretty gradually over the course of the day...she did the sweep around 10 am, and by 6pm I finally realized that I was really in labor (having contractions all day but not painful and not even distracting enough to get around to timing them until 5 pm when they were 3-4 minutes apart). Didn't get painful until 8pm, and he was born a little more than 2 hrs later. So you can either say that I was in labor for 2-3 weeks from when I started dilating, or you can say I was in active labor for about 2 1/2 hrs!

Long story to say that my second labor, at least the active/painful stage, was about half the time of my first labor.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:27 PM

My first was 9hr45min. 4 of those hours were spent pushing a poorly positioned baby out, so I suspect that had she been aligned ideally, we'd be looking at closer to a 6 hour labor.

My second was 90 min total. I'm now preg with #3 and I'm assuming that this one will be at least that fast although I know there's no guarantee.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:47 AM

Wow, this is an awesome trend we've got going here! Intellectually I know they generally get shorter each time, but to see it written out is so interesting!

My first labor is hard to count exactly, but it was about 7 hours from the AROM that really got me going until DS's birth.

My second labor was just under 4 hours from first contraction to DD's birth. I don't think I'd want to go much faster than that.

A funny story along these lines: My grandmother's labors were 30 hours, 20 hours, and 10 hours. She couldn't convince my grandfather to have a 4th child but jokes that with a pattern like that she wouldn't have had to labor at all with her 4th. :LOL
Old 08-30-2005, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

My great grandmother gave birth to my grandfather by herself while her husband went to get the doctor. Plus, my mom had me in 5 hours (her first birth). I'm just a little nervous.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
my first was 8 1/2 hours, with 2 hours being pushing out a 9.5 lbs boy!

my second was 2 hours, with about 5 mins pushing out an average sized girl

last time, we waited to call the midwives, cause i didn' think it would get that serious that fast, as only 1 midwife made it in time.

next time around, my midwives want me to call them at the first twinge LOL 2 hours was a good lenght for me, definately more intense more quickly, i had less time to adjust to contrax than the first time around, but i also wasn't at the peak of pain for as long either, so i'll take shorter and more intense any day!

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
Old 08-30-2005, 05:15 PM

i must be the strange one here

first baby was induced and ended up in a section but i was in labor 12 hours and pushed 2 hours before the section (7 lb baby)

my homebirths:
second baby - active labor about 3 hours, pushed 4 hours (8lb 9 oz baby)

third baby - active labor 15 hours, pushed 30 minutes (9lb 5 oz baby)

fourth baby - active labor 7 hours pushed 40 minutes (9lb 4 oz baby)

no more babies for me so i'm not sure how another labor would turn out!
mandi

- but with your history of progressively faster labors you may be lucky

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

Old 08-30-2005, 05:27 PM

Ok- it is really cool to hear how things are different for subsequent labors- I am expecting my third child, but it will hopefully be my first non-induced labor. Any thoughts/experience on how an induced labor affects the next laboring time? I have never felt labor starting naturally, and am excited to feel it "for real" this time!

Knit natural toys for your kids! Shop Hedgehog Lane and check out the simple-to-knit patterns for sweet toys and gifts. Visit my blog- Duo Fiberworks- for a crafty conversation between me and my twin sister.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:56 PM

Baby #1 was about 50-60 hours- ugggh - lots of pushing
Baby #2 born last Monday- 5 hours total- about 30 minutes pushing!!

What a relief!
Old 08-30-2005, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemfree
Ok- it is really cool to hear how things are different for subsequent labors- I am expecting my third child, but it will hopefully be my first non-induced labor. Any thoughts/experience on how an induced labor affects the next laboring time? I have never felt labor starting naturally, and am excited to feel it "for real" this time!
You may find it's a lot easier. My first was born 7 hrs after my membranes ruptured and only 2 hours after active labor started. My second was induced and was 12 hours from the time they started the induction. When your body goes into labor by itself, it's ready to get the show going. When we force it, our bodies take a little while to "warm up"
Old 08-30-2005, 10:18 PM

I think maybe without the castor oil, you'll labor for a whole hour! You're probably right to expect a fast labor, but most of us need to be prepared for anything. I, for one, am an anomaly:

1st labor 4 hours + 1 hour of pushing
2nd labor 6 hours + 2.5 hrs of pushing
3rd labor 7 hours + 2 hrs of pushing
Old 09-02-2005, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae
LOL...this thread's so encouraging! My first labor was 53 hours and 3 1/4 hours pushing....I'll gladly take a shorter one this time. :LOL
My first was similar in length and pushing, thoough it was induced. Then i had two losses, at 12 and 21 weeks. My second full term delivery was 3.5 hours and my third was 2.5 hours. With the second I had two weeks of pre labor and with the third I had 4 days of really intense prelabor stuff.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:22 PM

I've never heard that you can cut it in half but that's not been my experience at all.

Sorry to be the bummer on the it will happen so much more quickly train but this has been my experience.
First-Not totally sure how long maybe 10 hours or so? 3.5 hours of pushing. Tons of interventions including AROM and fairly early pit augmentation-9lb baby

Second-I started timing it from when I got to the hospital though I had been having regular though not intense contrax about 30 hours before that and my ob said I could go to the hospital any time I wanted since I was already 3cm when the contrax started. So from the time I got there and started on the cascade of interventions (AROM and later augmentation with pit) it was 15.5 hours. 30 minutes pushing-10lb 2.3oz baby

Third: Took castor oil. 12 hours later active labor started (not sure CO did anything). Active labor lasted 13.5 hours. 17 minutes pushing-9lbs 13oz

Foruth: Took castor oil, tried acupressure points and did a lot of walking. Regular contractions started after about 4 hours (again given how some CO stories not really sure it did anything) and were intense within an hour or two. Active labor about 11 hours. 25 minutes pushing-10lbs 7oz

By my last birth I was pretty much expecting at minimum 10 hours of labor. If I have another baby I'll expect the same. I am not a fast laborer but that's ok with me. It gives me time to get my head around it and be ready for it to happen.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:02 PM

My first labor was 5 1/2 hours, first contraction to baby being out. Less than 10 minutes of pushing.

My second was 3 1/2 hours, first contraction to baby being out. Again, less than 10 minutes of pushing.

I'm kind of worried that this one will now be 1 1/2 hours or less and nothing will be ready!! (camera, other kids, stuff, etc.)
Old 09-05-2005, 05:14 PM

Mine had no pattern. All spontaneous labors, none augmented in any way.

1st- 5 hrs
2nd- 15 hrs
3rd- 1 hr (with a few hours of random mild contractions the morning before)

User Tag List