Cesarean Section Support Thread September 2005 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 122 Old 09-01-2005, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread is for support only and not to debate the necessity of cesarean birth. This is a place to moan, complain, bitch, mourn, share the joy, thoughtful decision, cesarean birthplans, etc. and all are welcome!

partners.gif = angel2.gifloveeyes.gif & shy.gif
#2 of 122 Old 09-01-2005, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm currently eight weeks post c-sec. I haven't had any pain in I believe over a month. Although I still haven't stopped bleeding yet. I do believe that I am on my period, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will end soon!

#3 of 122 Old 09-01-2005, 05:10 PM

checking in...

had my section almost a year ago after "failure to progress" and presence of merconium after 6 hours of laboring with pitocin (18 hours after application of cervidil)
#4 of 122 Old 09-01-2005, 07:29 PM

continuation of thought from Aug thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerchic21
Make sure that you have a SOLID support team to stay with you in the hospital. Make your voice known BEFORE the c-section how important breastfeeding is to you and how you want that baby latched on to you as soon as possible.

You will be drugged up and shaking probably. I couldn't physically nurse DS without someone helping me for at least 8 hours after surgery. DO NOT let the nurses take your baby out of the room. Just have your partner or support person take care of the baby. Tell your support people this too. You might be too out of it depending on how much they drug you up to say anything.

DH was with me most of the time to care for DS, but he had to leave the second night I was in the hospital. The nurse just put DS in bed with me so I could care for/nurse him more easily. I was a little nervous about it - first baby and all - but it went well that way.

Regarding the shaking, is there anything that can be done to prevent that? I had bad shakes for a couple of days and would like to avoid that if I end up with a CS again...

I am still trying to decide whether to try a VBAC or just schedule a cs - not sure yet. My main goal is really to avoid any BFing problems that I had last time - while I would like a vaginal birth I am not hell bent on it at this point. And no signs of pre-eclampsia so far in this pg (week 17) but that might put a wrench in any plans I make.

My OB will let me do what I want, tho she would prefer I schedule a cs because she says there is less risk of infection that way, and they can control the anesthesia effects better - last time I ended up with a general b/c the epidural was not working anymore - I had been on it for awhile in labor. Anybody have any info/thoughts on this?
#5 of 122 Old 09-01-2005, 08:00 PM

hi. checking in. May I ask what the shaking is from? reaction to the epidural or spinal? does benadril work for the itching, with duramorph?

Maria
#6 of 122 Old 09-01-2005, 09:15 PM

I had shaking after the surgery. It didn't last very long with any of my sections. I also felt very cold. As far as I can tell, it's purely the result of shock - once you stabilize, the shaking goes away.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#7 of 122 Old 09-01-2005, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

greenmansions - I had ALOT of shaking right after surgery also, but it too only lasted about an hour. Once I was out of recovery the shakes never returned. I'm not sure if part of it is because of the drugs you're under (I had an epidural) and or the stress and shock of the whole laboring process. You might want to discuss that with your doctor with which ever labor style you decide on.

#8 of 122 Old 09-01-2005, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone else have this problem? and or does it ever go away?

I labored extensivley before I had my c-sec, and ever since it hurts to sit in one position for any period of time. Unless it's a really big cushy chair. I'm not sure if my tailbone might be broken, brusied or what.? But does it ever get any better?

#9 of 122 Old 09-01-2005, 10:10 PM

Benadryl does often work for the itching. Unfortunately, I am extremely sensitive to Benadryl. More than 1/2 a teaspoon of children's Benadryl liquid completely knocks me out so I can't take in sufficient amounts to make a difference with the itching.

And I agree that the shakes are a bit from shock. Mine seemed to come during the night. I just seemed to be extremely cold and warm blankets and a heating pad helped a lot. Actually, a heating pad on my incision felt REALLY good in general.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#10 of 122 Old 09-02-2005, 10:27 AM

I remeber reading that the itching and shaking (along with maternal and infant fever) are common side effects of an epidural. I had bad shakes but not any itching after my first c/s. I had had 3 epidural doses by the time I had my surgery...
I had no shaking at all this time around, I had a spinal 10 minutes before my second c/s. No itching either...

Chantal
#11 of 122 Old 09-02-2005, 10:58 AM

Subscribing

I didn't have any itching or shaking after my section. None at all. The only things I'd want to change with regard to pain control would be whatever put me to sleep after the section (I passed out for an hour) because I'd rather spend that time awake with my new baby, and I'd like to get oral medication sooner. I've been addicted to opiates in the past, so I prefer to minimize their use. They wanted to give me morphine the next day because I wasn't supposed to have anything orally yet, but I refused it and made them ask the doctor to let me have something oral (percocet, I think that's what I ended up with).

Oh! Someone said that percocet is a codeine derivative on the other thread. That's not really the way it works; the opiate in percocet (oxycodone) is related to codeine, but they're both derived from opium (hence the name "opiates"). Heroin, morphine, hydrocodone, oxycodone and codiene are all opiates. Percocet is oxycodone and tylenol, percodan is oxycodone and aspirin, lorcet & vicodin are both hydrocodone and tylenol, and tylenol #3 is tylenol with codiene.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#12 of 122 Old 09-02-2005, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions
My OB will let me do what I want, tho she would prefer I schedule a cs because she says there is less risk of infection that way, and they can control the anesthesia effects better - last time I ended up with a general b/c the epidural was not working anymore - I had been on it for awhile in labor. Anybody have any info/thoughts on this?
I don't agree with that at all. There are plenty of women here who had infections after their c-sections. That is one reason I was horribly scared of getting one. I am not sure what the percentage of people who actually get infections afterward are but I hear they are horrible to deal with. I think you are at more risk of getting an infection of you have gestational diabetes though.

You are very fortunate to have an OB that is letting you make the decision. That is very fortunate. It seems like more and more OBs won't do VBAC anymore.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#13 of 122 Old 09-02-2005, 12:24 PM

I had an infection after this section, but not with either of my previous ones. I think mine was quite minor, as wound infections go...but it still took four and a half weeks for the incision to close, and required quite a bit of extra attention. It was definitely not my idea of fun.

I only had the shakes badly with my second section (mind you, I was out for 12 hours after my first), and the itching was worst with that one. But, I don't think they were related, as the itching sidn't really start until after the shaking had stopped.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#14 of 122 Old 09-02-2005, 12:25 PM

Checking in...

I had a late 4 week checkup with my midwife this week. I have been dying to talk to her about my birth and what she thinks went on to lead up to the c-seciton. There was a lot of crying. I feel a bit better.

She did reassure me that I was indeed very strong (8 hours of labor on pitocin naturally got complete water broke back to 7cm hit transition again). I was feeling like maybe if I didn't ask for the epi and got back into the water that things would have turned out differently. From the notes that she had though she said it looked like we did all we could.

I am supposed to go back in a month and we requested the documents from the hospital and we are going to go over those at the next appt. The way it looks now is that Jake was indeed "stuck" and the c-section was the only way to get him out. I still can't help but feel like I didn't do enough. But when they tell you that his heart rate isn't standing the labor or pushing what are you supposed to do?

I can't wait for my next local ICAN meeting. I wish they were more than once a month. DH was saying that maybe I should see a therapist to talk about my feelings. I am thinking it might help. I got a few names of people who deal with birth trauma.

Again this past week yet again someone I knew had a great vaginal birth. We saw them last night and her baby was 9 days old and I just kept staring at his vaginally birthed cone head feeling jealous. I hate that. I made an excuse about needing to leave so we could get out of there.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#15 of 122 Old 09-02-2005, 02:08 PM

I'm sorry, Sarah. I have that problem, too. My sister's got four kids and all but one were birthed vaginally (the fourth was a twin, who dropped transverse after her brother delivered vaginally). My SIL's four were all delivered vaginally. Every time the subject of having kids comes up in our family, I just want to hide under the table or something.

I hope it gets a little easier to cope with. It sounds as though you're midwife appointment eased the psychological pain at least a little.

#16 of 122 Old 09-02-2005, 04:05 PM

I still haev jealousy twinges whenever I hear of someone having their baby vaginally. C-sections are awful. First you get the emotional pain of knowing you've failed, and then the physical pain, adn then the emotional pain comes right back and slaps you in the face.
#17 of 122 Old 09-02-2005, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaytonsMom
...adn then the emotional pain comes right back and slaps you in the face.
...especially when ignorant people make insensitive comments.

#18 of 122 Old 09-02-2005, 04:42 PM

Thought I would stop in and say hello. I am 1 week past my due date , and watching my hopes of a VBAC slowly slip away. I am not even the smallest bit dialated yet ...bummer. Although today is my Birthday, though it would be funny if little man decided to come today. Anyways, I hope everyone is healing well and enjoying there beautifull babies!!

mama, who : with two little crazy hommies
#19 of 122 Old 09-02-2005, 06:01 PM

I get envious of moms who birthed vaginally when I see them up and walking around a day later as if nothing much had happened to them physically. My neighbor just had her second baby vaginally on a Friday, came home Saturday and hosted a houseful of people on Sunday. She was perky the whole time, nursed her baby, chatted with friends happily, etc.

Whereas I barely left the house for nearly a month after my c/s and only had whatever family member was staying with me at the time in my house. I am not sure how much of my feeling so lousy was due to the c/s vs. recovering from pre-eclampsia, but I felt pretty crappy for a long time. I'd sure like to have things be better with this baby, but not sure if VBAC attempt or scheduled c/s is the answer.
#20 of 122 Old 09-02-2005, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I get envious of moms who birthed vaginally when I see them up and walking around a day later as if nothing much had happened to them physically.
I see women on mainstream boards saying that's what they were like after their sections. It's one of the reasons I avoid the mainstream boards - I just feel even worse. It's like I failed to give birth vaginally, and then I failed to recover on top of it.

But, I have to say that I've known quite a few women with c-sections offline...and none of them were walking around like that in the first few days.

#21 of 122 Old 09-02-2005, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I get envious of moms who birthed vaginally when I see them up and walking around a day later as if nothing much had happened to them physically. My neighbor just had her second baby vaginally on a Friday, came home Saturday and hosted a houseful of people on Sunday. She was perky the whole time, nursed her baby, chatted with friends happily, etc.
Quote:
I see women on mainstream boards saying that's what they were like after their sections. It's one of the reasons I avoid the mainstream boards - I just feel even worse. It's like I failed to give birth vaginally, and then I failed to recover on top of it.
I guess that's me. I'm not trying to pass judgement on you, or say that you "failed to recover;" when I talk about how quickly I recovered from my c-section vs. my vaginal delivery, I'm only trying to point out that even here, even in this thread, there's this idealization of vaginal delivery that goes on and quite frankly in my experience, it's not necessarily something to be jealous of. I grew up hearing how easy and natural childbirth was, how it hurt like hell but the pain was short and therefore tolerable. My mother had a grand total of about an hour and a half of labor in five deliveries. My sister had two quick, easy births. Neither of them did much by way of preparation, they just had a very easy time of it all.

I suppose that I should count myself lucky; after my son's birth (the VDFH) my mother and sister just stopped talking about labor and delivery. While niether of them had an experience that even came close to mine, they both witnessed parts of my labor. They saw me in agonizing pain from preterm labor, shaking from terbutaline; my sister got to listen to me scream from down the hall while a team of doctors and nurses stuck a suction cup on BeanBean's head and dragged him out. Then they watched me have to be rolled in a wheelchair to see my son nearly a day after he'd been born, and be so weak from magnesium sulfate that I couldn't even push him back up when he started to slide from my shoulder. They watched and they kept their mouths shut, and neither one of them will discuss birth in my presence. I never hear about what I should or shouldn't have done differently, because both of them know that they have never experienced anything even remotely like the pain that I had. Both of them will say that even in the throes of labor, even in transition the worst pains they had were not as bad as the cramps they had when they started breastfeeding. I laughed my ass off at those cramps-- never in a million years did they compete with labor!

Quote:
Whereas I barely left the house for nearly a month after my c/s and only had whatever family member was staying with me at the time in my house. I am not sure how much of my feeling so lousy was due to the c/s vs. recovering from pre-eclampsia, but I felt pretty crappy for a long time. I'd sure like to have things be better with this baby, but not sure if VBAC attempt or scheduled c/s is the answer.
This was me after my vaginal delivery-- only it was more like two months. I couldn't walk upright for a week, and even then could only do it for a short period of time. I vote for the pre-ecclampsia. I felt like on a stick for a solid two months, and in fact didn't begin to feel like a human being again for nearly six.

#22 of 122 Old 09-03-2005, 12:01 AM

I don't think anybody, except my sister, is trying to pass judgment on me. I'm the one who feels as though I failed. I just prefer to avoid reading about people hopping out of bed 12 hours after their sections...I wanted to more than I can say, and it just wasn't possible.

And, I'm very sorry you went through a delivery like that. I'm well aware that people have horrible vaginal deliveries sometimes.

I guess it just seems to me as though the comparison that's always made is a nightmarish vaginal delivery with complications being compared to an uncomplicated c-section. Not all vaginal deliveries have complications and not all c-sections lack them. I'd just like to know what I'm talking about - I have no idea what childbirth is like, for good or for bad, and rightly or wrongly I feel ripped off.

#23 of 122 Old 09-03-2005, 12:49 AM

Wow, Rynna, that sounds awful. I have heard of bad deliveries like that, and my ex-boss had one along those lines. I guess I don't really idealize vaginal delivery, but am trying to figure out what is going to leave me in the best shape afterward to nurse and care for my new baby and be there, as always, for my son. Everyone's story puts a perspective on it that is helpful in some way.

My mom also had relatively easy labors, particularly with my sister - mom barely made it to the hospital in time. She has always said she'd rather have a baby than go to the dentist (she has bad teeth) because it's not that bad and you get to go home with a baby.

My sister had an emergency c/s with her daughter and then a scheduled with her twins as her placenta was degrading at 38 weeks. (7 pounder and 8 pounder, can you imagine?) She felt that the second c/s in particular went really well and that she recovered pretty quickly. Other moms also say that the second c/s is easier to recover from - maybe it's b/c they were scheduled so the moms weren't pooped out from laboring beforehand.
#24 of 122 Old 09-03-2005, 01:26 AM

I'm not trying to make your decisions any more difficult - but I found my scheduled section without labour to be the worst of my three...despite the first being an emergency, and the incision becoming infected with the third. I'll never allow a scheduled section again.

#25 of 122 Old 09-03-2005, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride
I guess it just seems to me as though the comparison that's always made is a nightmarish vaginal delivery with complications being compared to an uncomplicated c-section. Not all vaginal deliveries have complications and not all c-sections lack them.
In my opinion, this is the only comparison that makes any sense on this board, where vaginal delivery is held up as the epitome of womanhood, as well as the only proper, reasonable way to start being an attached parent. We have to have a disclaimer at the top of this thread every time we start a new one, because if it wasn't there it would be chock full of "If you had just done x, like I did, you wouldn't have needed a c-section" or, better still, "I've read all about situations like yours where women had their babies at home." Ask for information on c-sections, and you'll get all sorts of advice for avoiding them and reasons that you should. Personal stories of babies being cut when their mothers were cut, and all kinds of other horror stories. Maybe, if you're lucky, you'll get a link to this thread or get some decent, balanced information but most of what you'll get will be about how women who have c-sections will have a really difficult time breastfeeding, if they can do it at all, etc, etc, If you don't make it absolutely clear that not every vaginal delivery is a cakewalk and not every c-section results in days/months/years of miserable effects, people here just won't listen to anything that you have to say.

I think that the problem (on MDC in particular) is that most people assume that vaginal deliveries are uncomplicated and that c-sections are traumatic. When I tell someone in real life that BooBah was born by c-section, they don't immediately jump to the conclusion that there was trauma, but if I say that here, they do. If I say only that BeanBean was delivered vaginally, women here assume that it was easy, straightforward, and that any complications that arose were the direct result of a doctor's interference and therefore easily dismissed. Neither is true. There is support for women who've had traumatic birth experiences to be found here-- as long as they delivered by c-section. If you had a traumatic vaginal delivery and you don't say straight off that you could have solved the whole thing by squatting in the woods and catching the baby yourself, then it's all your own fault anyway and noone is remotely sympathetic.

Okay, so maybe I'm still bitter about my son's birth and the complete lack of support to be found afterwards. Maybe it's not at all fair to compare a VDFH to an uncomplicated emergency c-section (is that an oxy moron?) but that is my experience. I think you're totally right to feel ripped off-- I also feel ripped off: I never had that easy, uncomplicated vaginal birth experience that I was raised to believe was my birthright.

#26 of 122 Old 09-03-2005, 02:02 AM

I can certainly understand being bitter. Your experience sounds just awful. I come at it a little differently, as what I was looking for when I found this board was an acknowledgement that a c-section is traumatic (or at least that it can be). I found a lot of places where people would tell me how horrible labour was, and how brutal vaginal deliveries are...but most of them treated c-sections as a cakewalk, and I've been emotionally demolished by mine. I wanted people to assume there was trauma, I guess...

However, I don't assume that "vaginal" means "easy". I do think a lot of women go through worse than they should, because of the way their labour is managed. But, that doesn't mean there aren't legitimate horror stories about labour and vaginal births. Your experience would have been horrible to go through...I can't even imagine. I certainly wouldn't be wanting a repeat if I were you!

(I don't think "uncomplicated emergency c-section" is an oxymoron. If the surgery goes the way it's supposed to, and so does the recovery, then it's uncomplicated. My first two had no complications - my third was complicated by an infected incision...totally different, even though they were all surgeries.)

#27 of 122 Old 09-03-2005, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Iriemama96 - to you mama. Please keep us updated on the arrival of your newest little one. I hope your L&D goes exactly as you are hoping.
Oh, and Happy Belated Birthday!

#28 of 122 Old 09-03-2005, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride
I don't think "uncomplicated emergency c-section" is an oxymoron. If the surgery goes the way it's supposed to, and so does the recovery, then it's uncomplicated.
My emergency CS was uncomplicated in that sense. The surgery went fine, I recovered well and easily. In fact, the OB was shocked. He was positive I would have an infection since I had ruptured and placental stuff was all over my abdomen. But no issues at all with the surgery. You just never know.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#29 of 122 Old 09-03-2005, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoldber
You just never know.
Very true. I've had three c-sections and I behaved the same way during each recovery. Two of them were even done by the same surgeon. I had no trace of trouble with the first two, but this time my incision became infected, and I've also lost most of my bladder sensation. It's not very predictable.

#30 of 122 Old 09-03-2005, 09:24 PM

Christina: sending you !!!

Also sending all of you a big

Chantal

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page