what interventions did you have? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Which interventions did you have at your last birth?
Stripping membranes 30 100.00%
breaking water 54 100.00%
prostaglandin/cyotec 14 100.00%
pitocin 43 100.00%
episiotomy 22 100.00%
narcotics 23 100.00%
epidural 42 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizLiz
. . . I've had everything (except for the episiotomy) for both of my c-babies. . . .
OMG the thought of episiotomy gives me the heebie jeebies! I think I'd take the c-section, given the choice. (And I wasn't too thrilled about the c-section!)
#32 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 01:38 AM

absolutely nothing, including no fetal monitoring - of course a BIG part of that is that we arrived at the hospital just before my water broke, already at 10 cms! :LOL
#33 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 01:38 AM

I also had none of those listed interventions, and in a hospital no less.

I did have an IV with antibiotics because of a fever. And I requested my bladder to be emptied with a catheter because I was too wiped out to go use the toilet (this was right before DS was born and I thought maybe my full bladder was in the way).
#34 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 02:26 AM

No interventions in any of my births.
#35 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 02:33 AM

First birth: Membrane stripping, epidural and emergency episiotomy (h/b was in the low 40's for several minutes and we were all worried).

Second birth: Membrane stripping (I asked for it, and it worked liek a charm-- 6 hours later I was in active labor.) Epidural at 5 cm. I asked for water to be broken when I got to 10 and was more than ready to have her! Nothing else though. I had a firm hands-off, no intervention birth plan unless I asked for it or gave permission. Quick labor, no stress, no tearing or complications.

With both births I chose epidural for personal reasons, ahead of time. I felt it was the best of both worlds.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#36 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 03:31 AM

Do I get a prize if I had everything? :LOL

Well, I didn't quite have everything, but I did have a couple of things that were not on your list. I was induced for absolutely no reason, had pit, an epi, AROM, a HUGE episiotomy and a vaccuum-assisted delivery, then Stadol after the delivery because I had horrific afterpains that I was not expecting and had not slept or eaten in like 48 hours. Yeah, it was a dream come true.

This baby will be born at home.
#37 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 03:44 AM

At my last birth none of the above, I did have an IV & ABX for GBS, but that's it. My first was the whole cascade of interventions culminating in a cesarean.

homeschool.gifmama to two boys 10 & 8vbac.gif

#38 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 10:07 AM

I had pitocin after an hour and a half pushing and not close to being done. Would like to avoid it this time, but I was very tired and accepting the pitocin allowed me to avoid seeing an OB, and just have the MW there.

chicken3.gif Christian SAHM to DS 3/04, DS 1/06, and DD 1/09 and expecting a new little one in May 2012 selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif 

#39 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 11:30 AM

My first I had membranes stripping, pitocin, narcotics, epidural, episiotomy and vacuum-assisted birth.
My second I had membranes stripping, cytotec, AROM and epidural.
My third will be a homebirth with absolutely no interventions.
#40 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchier
I had almost everything. Hoping to avoid all of them next time. What interventions did you have at your last birth?
my last child's birth? None at all (unless you count homeopathic cohoshes and intercourse as intervention)

my first child's birth? Everything under the sun, and then some more. Well, except the episiotomy, because of the cesarean and all...
#41 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had no interventions either time. Gave birth in the hospital with a committed midwife and a Bradley trained hubby, and I have "short" labors by most peolple's standards.
#42 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 01:41 PM

I had stadol with both of my labors early on to relax a little -- did the rest naturally in the water...I like to think of it like a strong cocktail before an awkward one-night stand.

I think a homebirth would have allowed me to relax, but maybe we'll get there next time
#43 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 01:47 PM

I couldn't vote becasue you don't have an option for "none of the above"

With my first preganancy I asked the midwife to "stip the membranes" and with my last pregnancy we did no interventions...not even checking the cervix.
#44 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 02:58 PM

after hours and hours of labour at home my midwife offered to break my bag of waters.. i said okay but nothing but a small trickle came out..i gave birth at home with no other interventions but i had a shot of oxytocin after birth for heavy bleeding..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#45 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 03:01 PM

Not a single intervention for me. Had a homebirth.
#46 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 05:22 PM

My last two births 0 interventions as both were Uc's
#47 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 05:23 PM

Nothing this last time.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#48 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 06:21 PM

Cervadil to ripen my cervix.
Pitocin to induce labor.
Waters broken to "speed things up"
...resulting in fetal distress, failure to progress, and a somewhat emergency c-section.

this time, I've taken better care of myself, remained positive, and eliminated things that I believe complicated my pregnancy leading to my developing PIH/Pre-e and needing to be induced.
I hope to go into labor naturally and birth naturally, and safely, at home.

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#49 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 08:16 PM

I had my water broke very late, as in the bag of waters was half out of me. My dd would have been born in the caul, but her heartrate dropped a lot and wan't recovering. My mw broke the bad of water to speed things up. I did avoid an epistiotomy though, although I would have considered that a valid intervention in my situation. I turned out that dd had a very tight nuchal cord wrapped three times around her neck. She didn't breathe on her own and needed oxygen.
#50 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 08:27 PM

Ok, so I didn't quite read the poll right. I answered about my first birth. Um, went to the hospital because my water broke. Aparently not enough. They broke it further. Then they hooked me up and started some IV for strep. Then they gave me pitocin. Then I asked for an epidural. Then they gave me an episiotimy. Then they used the vacuum. Then they gave me oxygen and I started laughing because I had gone in for a natural birth!!!
I learned my lesson the second time. I went at the last minute, as in I almost gave birth waiting for my room. They broke my water because my sac was bulging (guess he was trying to be born in the caul). Other than that, absolutely nothing.

Mama to 3:
#51 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 09:27 PM

I had way too many interventions: induced at 42 weeks, cytotec first, then IV antibiotics for gbs+, maximum pitocin, continuous monitoring, the dr. broke my water after 8 hours (I was at 3cm), epidural after 3 more hours of contractions every minute (dd was face up, so lots of back pain). More pitocin, more epidural drugs, oxygen too, until noon the next day still only at 6cm when I had a c-section. By then (about 30 hours after I checked in to the hospital) my epidural had mostly worn off and they couldn't give me anymore so had to have several more drugs during the surgery because I was yelling "I can feel that!!!" (and the anesthesiologist was on her cell phone the whole time ). Then they kept me on the catheter and pitocin and morphine with no solid food for 3 more days (another long story...). And they had no private rooms left so dh had to go home and dd had to go to the nursery for the first night.

Definitely not what I had planned or wanted for sure. But I don't think I could have delivered dd (10 lb. 6 oz.) without a little help. I try not to tell my story to first time preggos because it was such a nightmare and hopefully they will have a wonderful birth story.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#52 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 10:52 PM

My midwife broke my water after and hour or two of absolutley no progression. I said no the first time, hoping things would get rolling, but nothing..as soon as she broke my water I threw up, dialated the rest of the way and out he came! I don't regret it, as I don't think it was *too* much of an intervention.
#53 of 59 Old 09-15-2005, 06:06 AM

none
#54 of 59 Old 09-15-2005, 10:48 PM

nothing on the list... but:

-IV antibiotics for GBS+
-intermittant EFM (it sure felt like an intervention!)
-cervical exams during labor - 2 or 3, can't recall
-OB present for delivery, ha ha

it was after delivery that the interventions really started - i was bleeding excessively, so i got misopristol suppositories, then pitocin through the iv, local anesthetic for stitches (didn't seem to take), lots of uterine mashing, then put under general anesthetic for possible d&c and blood transfusion. turns out there was some internal tearing the that OB missed, so she stitched me all up, no d&c, no blood transfusion.

you can tell things kinda went down hill after the OB showed up - a few minutes into my 20 minutes of pushing...

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07
#55 of 59 Old 09-15-2005, 10:55 PM

I kind of think that fetal monitoring, IV and being at the hospital should all be considered interventions....SO this last time I had AROM and that was it....
#56 of 59 Old 09-15-2005, 11:01 PM

I was 14 days over my due date and had Cervadil and it worked to start my labour.

Catholic wife to S and mama to my two loveys V dd1 10/04 and G dd2 11/10 - #3 due in August 2013.  Here we go again.  homebirth.jpgwinner.jpg selectivevax.gifcd.gif

#57 of 59 Old 09-15-2005, 11:38 PM

last birth = none of the above, pit and methergin after third stage
2nd = same as above plus 1 dose of IV abx/heplock
1st = heplock & IV abx, episiotomy, pit and methergin after third stage
#58 of 59 Old 09-16-2005, 12:15 AM

AROM with my consent at 9.5cm (which I think was offered only bc my midwife wanted to go home- she had been there for all of ten minutes, after all). Episiotomy without my consent "because I was going to tear UP!"

My December birth and all future births will be unassisted.
#59 of 59 Old 09-16-2005, 11:12 PM

I had pitocin and then an epidural before my csection.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page