what interventions did you have? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Which interventions did you have at your last birth?
Stripping membranes 30 100.00%
breaking water 54 100.00%
prostaglandin/cyotec 14 100.00%
pitocin 43 100.00%
episiotomy 22 100.00%
narcotics 23 100.00%
epidural 42 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had almost everything. Hoping to avoid all of them next time. What interventions did you have at your last birth?
#2 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Had a pitocin induced birth at a hospital but I refused drugs of all kinds and threatened the doctor's life when he mentioned episiotomy! Recovery was fast. I was in my jeans again in less than 2 days and didn't tear and was up to normal speed by 4 days pp, maybe less?
My older dd was a epidural aided episiotomy birth after doctor broke my water that took 3 months to recover from.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#3 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 09:20 AM

It depends on the definition of "interventions". I had a cervical lip pulled back during BOTH my labors. Some would consider that an intervention. Others would laugh at the though of that being labeled as an intervention.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#4 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 09:45 AM

I've had my water broken for five out of seven births. One baby was born in the caul, one broke spontaneously at what point I don't know.
But to be fair, I asked for it each time, the pressure was too intense and I wanted it over already. Each time, the baby was born within minutes.
#5 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 09:53 AM

#6 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 10:00 AM

I was induced so I had membranes stripped the week before I think citotec then after a while they broke my water a few hrs later we started pitocin and 13hrs into labor I went with an epidural 8hrs later he was born. I was only at 4cm until 3hrs before he was born. My OB was very encouraging and kept telling me to hang in there he knew I could do it. Nathan was born face first with a 14.75in head @9lb7oz and 23 inches. I dont regret any of the interventions and if the next baby is the same situation I would do it again.
I didnt have an episiotomy but I did tear slightly ( from an old scar - all my boys have big heads).

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#7 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 10:06 AM

None this last time -- a lovely home birth (2.5 hours of active labor and 3 pushes!).

The first time I was stripped and ruptured and got some pit after the birth.
#8 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 10:07 AM

umm, doesn't c-section count as an intervention?

Many of the ones listed lead up to this so I've had everything (except for the episiotomy) for both of my c-babies. But that's a whole other story that I won't go into today !
#9 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 10:12 AM

After 15 hours without interventions and not a lot of dilation, I agreed to let the dr break my water. My DD was a face-first presentation, and the back pain was excruciating. Despite my best intentions and with a good deal of disappointment, I had an epidural. Surprise surprise...I later needed pitocin to try to move things along...and then a c-section....

Things WILL be different this time, for sure!
#10 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I let my midwife break my water to help get things rolling. I was 39 weeks, 6 cm dilated and contracting irregularly and Hurricane Francis looked like it was going to directly hit our area. I wasn't comfortable with the idea of having a UC with my business end hanging out of the passenger side of a Toyota Celica, pulled over beside I-95 in evacuation traffic with 7 cats yowling in the back of the car.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#11 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 11:54 AM

I had an AROM that I consented to and that's it.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#12 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I had my membranes swept at my request at 40w2d to get things moving, then also had my water broken at 8-9cm dialated to try to get things moving after a stall in my labour, it may have helped. I don't consider either a huge intervention, and while I would've liked to have not done either, I feel both were done in good reason and I knew what to expect with both. Would do it all over again if necessary.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#13 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 12:13 PM

I had my membranes stripped several times at my request leading up to the birth of DS1. I also had a few cervical checks with him (only 2 during labor, some prior to though) and I received oxygen during the pushing phase. Both of my sons were born at home naturally.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#14 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 12:23 PM

There's no option for none. I managed to avoid all interventions this time out - it was lovely. First birth, I had my membranes swept, and IV fluids.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#15 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Banned

Stripping membranes
breaking water
pitocin
episiotomy

I refuse to have any of the above this time.
#16 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 12:53 PM

I had a homebirth and had none. My only possible intervention was breaking my water, since my MW and I aren't sure if she accidently broke it or if it broke over her finger on it's own. The baby was on it's way out at that point and arrived 20 minutes later, so even if it was an accidental intervention it didn't have a negative affect on my labor imo.
#17 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you need 2 more categories
none and other

I had no interventions last 2 births and have many clients who could say the same
#18 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 12:56 PM

Gave birth in a midwife unit of large hospital with CNM - no docs, thought it would be much more natural than it was.

Attempt to strip membranes at 41 weeks 4 days - couldn't reach them! Labor started though and never stopped until baby came.

Overnight at the hospital that night, but sent me home because I declined pit and wasn't dialating at all.

Back to the hospital at 41 weeks 6 days, still in labor, still not dialated. They admitted me only when I agreed to pitocin.

IV antibiotics due to step b +.

Broke my water around noon at 42 weeks. Still hadn't dialated after several hours.

Pit was bumped up twice.

Urine cath which I did not want but reluctanly agreed to - didn't help with anything.

After shedding not one tear for 3 days of intense back pain, including several hours with one minute on one minute off contractions with max dose of pitocin and still only dialated to a 3.5, they offered nubain, said it would maybe help me relax and dialate, so I agreed. Boy it did help me relax - I had a new dream every 60 seconds while I slept inbetween contractions (hadn't slept for at least 2 days at that point) and within 2 hours had made it to 10!

Pushed for 2 hours 20 minutes, 3rd degree tear.

Planned homebirth for this one due in Jan.

~Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#19 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 01:28 PM

At my last birth it was just an epidural. My first was pitocin, water breaking, and epidural ending in a c/s!

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#20 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 01:37 PM

Three c-sections...obviously that includes anesthesia and IV's. I've never had any other interventions...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#21 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 03:00 PM

Last birth--no interventions at all! It was great. I did take some tinctures afterwards to stop a borderline PPH, but that's nothing compared to the hospital alternative of a pit shot.

First birth--almost all of the interventions listed. I don't know if he stripped my membranes but I had cytotech, AROM, pitocin, stadol... That labor was *not* great. :
#22 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I couldn't vote, either. (Maybe you should have included forceps/vacuum as well. )

With my last birth, I didn't have any of these. BUT, I did have an actively managed third stage, which I now wish hadn't happened. But the birth itself was lovely. The MW offered to break my bulging bag of water, and I declined.
#23 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 04:56 PM

I birthed both of my babes in a progressive, baby/mama friendly hospital with a CNM. I had no interventions. Well, I did have intermittent fetal heart tone checks. They were always done with my permission. I suppose that would be an intervention.
#24 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 05:32 PM

I had prom at 36 weeks so had a slow induction. 40 hrs into it I had a narcotic because I was getting hysterical at my lack of progress and telling my midwife just to "bring on the epideral because I was going to end up with a c-section anyway". I fell asleep then and had an amzing dream about the baby moving down my birth canal and telling me she was ready to be born. I woke up and pushed

For a medicalized birth - it was still lovely and I was very much in control. I have come to think that being in control is a much bigger issue than the actual interventions.
#25 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I went to the hospital (in labor) with a fever. I was immediately hooked up to the monitors - do those count as interventions? They also monitored my contractions internally. They wanted to give me pitocin, but the baby was already handling the contractions poorly (late decelerations). I don't recall the exact order of things...the labor was really getting to me, so I accepted the epidural, and then not long after that, they pushed for the c-section.

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

#26 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 06:36 PM

None with either. Although I needed some Methargin, Pit, and homeopathic tablets after the placenta came out when my second was born because I hemmorhaged pretty badly. She also reached in and swept some clots from behind my cervix.

They were both homebirths with a CPM.
#27 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 07:12 PM

I voted breaking water and stripped membranes. I asked to be stripped at 41 weeks but it didnt hurt so I dont know how much it actually did. I broke my own water an hour or so into pushing to see if that would help.
#28 of 59 Old 09-13-2005, 11:05 PM

none of the above...I homebirth!

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#29 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 12:44 AM

None, note the siggy...UC, baby!

CPST
#30 of 59 Old 09-14-2005, 01:16 AM

Stripping of membranes: I tried it myself to see if it would help. It did not. :LOL
Water breaking: I had this done (my consent AFTER I argued with the doc over doing it :LOL) after I received pain killer due to its short life span.
Epidural (mine was called an interthecal......instant relief and two to three hour life span)
Episotomy: DD was face up and stretching me horribly.....would have torn in all directions severely so I consented (after DH demanded they ask me first...go hubby!)

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page