Ultrasound today, they are talking induction UPDATE: NOW THEY WANT TO DO A C-SECTION - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 123 Old 09-29-2005, 03:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How about getting proactive - have you researched Evening Primrose Oil, perhaps some of the diff labor prepping herbs - I know there are many mamas here that can offer that sort of advice up.

Did you figure out what your Bishop Score was? If it was favorable you might want (I know I mentioned it before) castor oil. It's cheap - if you mix it in something frozen in the blender you really can't taste it. If you take 1 oz- at best, you'll go into labor - at worst - you'll go to the bathroom (but at this late stage in a pg - thats not such a bad thing! ) I actually took 1 oz on 2 seperate occasions about 5 days apart. 1st time labor started and stopped after 3 hours - next day midwife checked me and I was at 5cm. The next time, I again took an oz and she was born later that same day!

I'm just thinking if we can get you into labor before they can get their hands on you - there won't be any "decision" to be made!

(I don't know...what do you think mamas??)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 123 Old 09-29-2005, 03:17 AM

Good luck, mama.

I've got two friends of similar build - they're both short and petite, and they both gave birth to 11 pound babies. One was in labour for 24 hours and ended up having a rotten delivery ... the other had a 30 minute labour and the baby slipped out easily. They can't predict your labour/birth based on your body.
#63 of 123 Old 09-29-2005, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Lots and lots of good advice here, and I see you and your DH and doula are working hard to be sure your wishes are honored...good luck!

You will not be pregnant forever, keep us posted. Hope everything goes well and goes your way...

Take care of yourselves, you deserve it! You are going to make a fine family.

G-d Bless :

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#64 of 123 Old 09-29-2005, 06:46 AM

* Chance of a baby dying after some degree of shoulder dystocia: 1 in 24,390.
* Chance of a baby dying where shoulder dystocia was the probable cause: 1
in 39,024.
(based on 1994/95 UK figures.)
I'm doing my research atm because shoulder dystocia is one of my midwives pet hates and worries, and I had a 14lber (born at home. I'm 5 ft 3. That said, a 37 week ultrasound didn't pick up his size, and neither did any of the midwives or consultants who saw me.)
I had a very positive castor oil induction with said large baby, but it sounds like you're in fight or flight mode which will slow down your birthing until you can finish nesting. Those jerks are standing in your way.
Good luck- can you find a medical lawyer who would give you a phone consultation?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#65 of 123 Old 09-29-2005, 07:16 AM

I was just reading last night (in this book, which is an amazing resource, but I don't think it's published in the US : ) that there's no evidence that *too much* amniotic fluid is a problem. No little runs the risk of the cord being compressed too much during labor, but too much is a fiction of a problem.

Stay strong, mama! Don't let them bully you into anything!

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#66 of 123 Old 09-29-2005, 07:48 AM

Turn off the ringer on your phone. Get your families out of your business. Tell the doctors to go screw themselves. Stay at home if you possibly can. At the very least, labor at home as long as you can, and make damned sure your husband will back you up in saying no to a c-section when you do go to the hospital. Remember, you've got a legal right to refuse any intervention. Of course, the hospital can refuse to treat you, but they're going to be far too concerned about their potential liability to turn you away. Decide now that you WILL NOT have a c-section. Get that clear in your mind, that it WILL NOT happen. Strengthen yourself now, in case you have to go to the hospital to give birth.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#67 of 123 Old 09-29-2005, 11:37 AM

I'm also thinking that one of the reasons they're talking c-section is simply because with a baby that isn't engaged and a lot of amniotic fluid, AROM is more likely to cause cord prolapse. They are probably making a decision based on the assumption that they would have to induce.
#68 of 123 Old 09-29-2005, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One of the biggest reasons to avoid c-section is because of the risk to your future fertility. With the VBAC climate so bad these days, you may end up with multiple c/s, with increasing risks to you and your baby each time.

Tell the Dr. you meet with that you're thinking of wanting a large family (4 or 5 kids), and you're worried about the struggle to VBAC and the risk of multiple c/s.

I went 41w6days with my first, and we had AFI checks every 2 days at the end. I was shocked at how variable the fluid level estimates are. In my case, my fluid measured "low", so my supportive midwife had a Dr. re-measure the fluid, and it came out "normal." If she had been pushing induction, she would have taken the first measurement and said "we need to induce right now, low fluid is dangerous."

If you end up getting pushed into induction, there are things you can do to limit risk:

Do *not* allow your water to be broken
Find out your bishop score, and start with cervidil if necessary to ripen your cervix. Do not allow cytotec ever.
Ask if you can have a "physiological" pitocin protocol (lower doses), and try lowering the dose when ctx are well-established. You can't just "turn it off', but you can wean yourself to a lower dose. If the ctx fizzle out, you can always turn it back on.

GL!
Davidah
#69 of 123 Old 09-29-2005, 12:19 PM

The last two posts brought something to mind. In regard to your "excess" of amniotic fluid and lack of engagement, do not let them strip or rupture your membranes. My sil had her membranes ruptured during an induction before her son was engaged and his cord prolapsed necessitating an emergency c-section. She was so glad that she was in the hospital b/c they 'saved the baby's life,' when the interventions were actually what caused the problem to start with!

Secondly, if the baby is not ready to be born, an induction may be wildly unsuccessful. That is what happened w/ dd#1 for me. They used a gel to ripen my cervix and then put my on pitocin. After nearly 3 days of the max dosage of pitocin and them manually forcing my cervix open by running a catheter up to it and filling it with saline, she was finally born w/ a ton of interventions that I didn't want (epidural, episiotomy) and she and I both had problems as a result (huge blood loss, meconium aspiration). She just wasn't ready to come. If we had waited longer, I strongly suspect that labor would have been a much easier endeavor.

You're only just past your EDD. I'd be inclined to wait at least a week longer before I started intervening at all. My grandmother called me with all kinds of concerns about babies dying from co-sleeping, etc. just like your dh's grandma. Her generation trusts doctors completely and was not raised to question. The baby that she is citing that died b/c they didn't schedule a c-section is not your baby. The circumstances may have been totally different, and babies don't usually die due to the cord entangling their necks in-utero. They are not yet breathing - oxygen is coming through the cord. If there was a lack of fluid and the cord got compressed, that could have caused the death, but that doesn't sound like the problem you have.
#70 of 123 Old 09-29-2005, 12:47 PM

Here's a link to the free part of the section on birthlove for 10-month mamas
http://www.birthlove.com/free/ten_month_mama.html
About halfway down the page, there's a great list of tips.
HTH
#71 of 123 Old 09-29-2005, 12:50 PM

#72 of 123 Old 09-29-2005, 01:32 PM

I'm so sorry that the doctors are pulling that crap on you. I can't even encourage you enough to just throw in the towel and have a homebirth. You will never regret spending the extra money. Having a good safe and healthy birth helps to set the tone for your parenting. It helps to get bonding started right. It will put you in control instead of spending your entire labor defending yourself.

At the very least I recommend that you refuse all intervention and stay home as long as possible. Having a great doula will make things even better. If you show up at the hospital 9cms dialated there isn't much they can do to you.

I wish you lots of luck! No mama should have to put up with that kind of crap.

#73 of 123 Old 09-29-2005, 01:40 PM

I wanted to suggest acupuncture to get labor going. My friend recently did that and went into labor after 2 acupunture sessions. I may be worth a try at this point and it's gentle. So if it doesnt' work, you know your baby and your body are not ready for labor.
#74 of 123 Old 09-29-2005, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlewomyn
It DH might even be wavering, he told me that what is most important is a healthy baby, not how she gets here.
It's really amazing how many people feel this way, when they're not the ones facing the scalpel.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#75 of 123 Old 09-29-2005, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpolzin
I wanted to suggest acupuncture to get labor going. My friend recently did that and went into labor after 2 acupunture sessions. I may be worth a try at this point and it's gentle. So if it doesnt' work, you know your baby and your body are not ready for labor.
A recent homebirth client of mine went twice to the acupuncturist & then twice to the chiro (she was 42 weeks), and she believes the baby was able to get well-positioned and labor began.

I don't think it's worrisome that a baby hadn't dropped but you'd definately only be helped by visiting a chiropractor before labor.

I'm so sorry you're getting all this hassle from every side, mama. I'm sending gentle birthing vibes from here...

mb

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#76 of 123 Old 09-29-2005, 07:59 PM

Turning off the phone is an excellent idea. I'd also recommend not spending too much time online, either. It can be wicked stressful to read all sorts of scary scenarios and conflicting advice at a time like this (not that that's what you're reading here, but that kind of thing does tend to pop up when you're doing research online).

I opted for a castor oil induction, and I don't recommend it. Some people are very sensitive to it. The cramps were horrible and lasted for days, and I think if I'd left well enough alone I might have had a less exhausting labor.

Good Luck Sweetie. You can do it!!!
#77 of 123 Old 09-29-2005, 08:07 PM

Hind sight is 20/20. That being said I can say that don't let the doctors pressure you to be induced. I went to 41w 2d and was induced using cervidil.
I felt in my gut that I was going to have a large baby. My doctor assured me that she would be 8 lbs tops. I went for 3 NSTs and her heart was decelerating. I was worried and really confused and I let the doctor pressure me to have an induction. I spent 18 hours in labor and pushed for 3 hours, nothing went how I wanted. The doctor started talking C-section and I freaked out. I delivered vaginally and was really proud of myself. In the end a healthy baby was what really matters. I delivered a 10.2 oz baby and I am only 5'1. You can do this mamma!!! Nature would never give you a baby that your body couldn't handle!! I will be thinking about you!!
#78 of 123 Old 09-29-2005, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
You need to rest and nest to let your baby come. RElax, and have some tea. make love, and wait ... ... baby will be here soon.... and you and DH will someday laugh about all of this....:LOL

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#79 of 123 Old 09-30-2005, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

I have been afraid to post this update, because I know that many of you will be unhappy with my choice (although why do I care what a bunch of people on the internet think???). It is the right choice for us.

We went in and talked to the doctor. He sat down with us and talked with us for 45 minutes. He also didn't talk down to us, I think he knew that we were intelligent, educated, and had informed ourselves on the issues. I explained to him all our hopes for a natural birth, and that we chose this practice because it had a midwife. He pretty much said that midwifes that deliver in hospitals are still bound to the same rules as the doctors in their practice, which of course are largely created to avoid lawsuites (damn our litigious society!!!). He did trash home midwives, saying they aren't safe because they might not have the training, but I bit my tongue. I don't agree, but I do feel that if you go that route you should definitely check their credentials. He explained to us that due to the estimated weight, the chest circumfrence (he cited papers that found this to be more accurate measured on ultrasound) and the increased level of amniotic fluid, they suspected (could not confirm though) that I had gestational diabetes that was missed during the glucose screening. He explained the risks of shoulder dystocia. He said that there was no way they would induce me, because my body is not favorable for that (closed cervix, baby not engaged) and it would most likely just end in a c-section anyway. He said that he suspected that the baby had not engaged yet because she was too big, and my uterus had only been doing half strength contractions because my body knew something was wrong. He said he believes in trusting the uterus. Because of this, he was recommending a scheduled c-section. He did say that if we went into labor on our own, he would be willing to let us attempt a vaginal birth at the hospital but he would be following the Friedman's curve and pushing for a section at the first sign of trouble. He did admit that yes, ultrasounds can be off, and this baby could come out at 8 lbs (I told him I would be so angry if we went for a section and that happened, and he nodded). He also said that now-days if you have a section once, it usually means sections for the rest of your births (this was the only point where I started crying during the discussion). My doula assures me that she does know some good VBAC docs in the area, but that birth (we only plan to have two children) is several years away, and I can't worry about that now. After talking to the doctor though, we both felt much better about everything that we ever thought we would.

We decided to shedule a c-section for Monday morning. I know that many here have said just sit at home an wait for labor, but I don't feel that is the correct choice for me. I know that my body wouldn't grow a baby too big for my body, but if I have had untreated gestational diabetes, then that could change things (my doula feels that this is one thing that could cause a baby to grow "too big"). I have felt this baby try to wiggle her way down several times, yet she is still floating above my pelvis, so maybe there is something wrong.
I have felt in my gut for a very long time that she was planning to come out this weekend. I feel that if it is safe for her to come out naturally, she will chose to do so before Monday. I don't feel safe trying things like castor oil, but I am going to relax this weekend and practice my hypnobirthing techniques, visualize good things, and tell her she is safe, and let her know her choices. My contractions seem to have been getting stronger, so I am hopeful. I have also been following someones recommendation to cut out sugar, to lower the amniotic fluid level. On monday my levels were 25, and I ended up with an ultrasound again yesterday, because the non-stress test didn't work because baby was kicking too much, they couldn't keep the monitor on her. The tech (who has become our friend over the course of this pregnancy) told us the baby is healthy, and that the fluid levels have dropped slightly to 21 (12 is considered normal). Maybe that doesn't mean anything (measurements can change greatly), but maybe cutting sugar has made a difference. We also plan to labor at home (if it happens) for as long as we feel safe.

If monday comes and she still isn't out yet, I know that I will be sad, and will mourn the loss of my natural birth. However, I no longer feel like I am being railroaded into making a bad decision. I was really scared that my feelings about the birth would overshadow the joy of meeting my daughter, and I no longer feel that way.

Of course, DH's mom wanted to know why we didn't schedule it for today. He had to tell her several times that the Doctor was OK with our decision, and so she should be too.

We are very upset with our midwife, and we even told the doctor so, he said he can't control his colleagues, but she does lack people skills. We had chosen to see her because we didn't want medical interventions pushed on us with no explanation, and that is exactly what we got from her. Looking back, maybe we should have seen it coming (she was always late for appointments, never took the time to talk to us - but I just felt that it was because I didn't ask enough questions). I felt it was strange that our midwife just told us over the phone that we needed to do a c-section (and she even told us not to bother to go in and talk to a doctor about it, because it wouldn't change things), while a doctor actually bothered to sit us down and talk to us about it.

So, now we are going to go enjoy our last weekend of being a couple before we become a family. Please send good labor vibes and hope that the baby can come out on her own. I am not going to check back right now, because I am afraid of what some people might say about my decision. Perhaps I will come back to tell you about the birth after my baby is here.
#80 of 123 Old 09-30-2005, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hope you will have a wonderful birth experience.
#81 of 123 Old 09-30-2005, 07:34 AM

Mama, it sounds like you have made a thoughtful and informed decision about what is best for you and your baby. I hope you have a wonderful birth experience!
#82 of 123 Old 09-30-2005, 07:44 AM

turtlewomyn

You have made an informed decision, that's what is most important. You looked for the reasons why, asked for info, found someone to respectfully sit with you and discuss...and made a choice that is right you you.

Blessings to you as you become a family, not long from now!!

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#83 of 123 Old 09-30-2005, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi, as a fellow c-sec mom, I just want you to know that you can have a good c-sec. Please come check out the support thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=336680
Hope you have a wonderful birth!

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#84 of 123 Old 09-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Banned

I wish you all the best. I'm glad that they waited until Mon. to schedule the section. Like you said, if it's meant to happen you've given her plenty of time to come. I wish you all the best and I hope you have a wonderful babymoon when your sweet little girl gets here!!
#85 of 123 Old 09-30-2005, 12:03 PM

I think if anyone were to say something against your choice, it would not be out of disdain for you, but out of concern. I, too, hope that it all turns out for the best and that you can come to a place of peace about your experience, whatever that may be.
#86 of 123 Old 09-30-2005, 12:06 PM

i understand your concerns, and you certainly have made an Informed decision, even if it is not what you wanted. I did want to reassure you that even a baby grown "extra-big" by diabetes can be healthy and happy, becaise mine is!! I have type 2 diabetes (PCOS-related) and i was completely unable to keep my sugars down during pregnancy (long story), and grew a quite big baby myself...only 9 poundsish, but a HUGE 15.25 inch head and even larger shoulders......but if it makes you feel better, this "huge" baby came out of little barely 5 foot tall me!! I hope all works out for you.

CPST
#87 of 123 Old 09-30-2005, 12:28 PM

Hopefully your feeling of peace and calmness about this now will allow your body to go into labor this weekend if it's meant to be.

I think it's very important to trust your gut feelings on this kind of thing. If you have a calm feeling, then it's good.

Wishing you all the best, and glad you got someone to talk to you respectfully!
#88 of 123 Old 09-30-2005, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm glad that the doctor was willing to tell you his motivations and answer your questions. You might ask (in writing, in your birth plan, plus verbally to the surgeon right before the procedure) that your uterus be sutured with a double layer of stitches. This can increase your chances of a successful VBAC later.

I'll be thinking you, Mama. Come on, babyturtle! Time to come out!
#89 of 123 Old 09-30-2005, 01:33 PM

I am worried about the Friedman curve bit. It allows for very little wiggle room. If you do go into labor this weekend : then I wouldn't go rushing into the hospital with the first twinge!
#90 of 123 Old 09-30-2005, 01:41 PM

I will be thinking of you this weekend and on Monday especially. I look forward to hearing about you new baby - please share pictures if you are comfortable putting them on the web! Every birth-day is something to celebrate.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page