Ultrasound today, they are talking induction UPDATE: NOW THEY WANT TO DO A C-SECTION - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 123 Old 09-27-2005, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was due this past Saturday (so, 40w3d), I had my appointment with my midwife on Monday, No dilation, but cervix soft and about 60% effaced. I had the ultrasound today to look at fluid levels. My fluid level was a little high, but what concerned them was that my baby was measuring 9lbs11oz according to the ultrasound. I am only 5ft2, I was 7lbs and DH was 8lbs7oz at birth (although now he is 6ft3 and 225lbs!) I don't know how I could have grown such a large baby. I do know that the measurements can be quite off, and in my gut I feel that my baby is around eight and a half pounds.

My midwife wasn't around, so they talked to one of the doctors in the practice, and they said to go home tonight, and they would talk to the midwife and we would get a call tonight or tomorrow morning, and they might have us go in tomorrow night for an induction, if we haven't gone into labor by then.

So, in the meantime we just got back from a two mile walk, and of course there is sex (which we have been trying since are appointment last week, but come on, how many times a week can you have sex when you are 40 weeks pregnant!?). I called my doula (also my hypnobirthing teacher) for a pep talk and an update, and she suggested that tomorrow I might want to pull out the big guns and try castor oil. I also talked to a friend who was induced last year (cervadil, then cytotec, then pitocin) due to pre-E and she hypnobirthed just fine. So, I got some pep talks, but I could use some more. I plan to refuse cytotec if possible, that stuff just scares the crap out of me.

Any words of encouragement, anyone???
#2 of 123 Old 09-27-2005, 07:56 PM

Unless there is some medical indication for an induction I would not even consider it before 42 weeks. Those end of pg ultrasounds are notoriously inaccurate. When I was pg with ds2, my 3rd child, I stopped going to visits after 38 weeks so I didn't even have to deal with the pressure. I delivered at 41w4d, just barely on the 4th day though he was born just before 2am.
#3 of 123 Old 09-27-2005, 09:05 PM

I'd strongly suggest you not worry about it. Find something to do to keep your mind off it. Whatever it takes, gardening, reading a good mystery, scrubbing the ceilings, whatever.

Forget what the u/s said. They estimated my DD1 at 8.5 lbs the day before she was born weighing less than 5.5 lbs!! That was an entire THREE pounds off! Plus, i was measuring ahead my entire pregnancy. Refuse induction, forget the castor oil, it's nasty and do you really want to crap your brains out? Nothing will get labor started if your body is not ready, not sex, not castor oil, not even pitocin, and especially not cytotec. That stuff nearly killed my baby FWIW, and there is an FDA alert warning women against its use to induce labor! I would just not show up for their suggested induction appointment. Enjoy this last bit of time as a beautiful pregnant woman, and don't let their fears intimidate you or talk you into anything you do not feel is in your own best interest.

ETA - the only way I would ever consider induction would be if I were beyond 42 weeks, and nonstress/stress tests were showing that there was something wrong with the placenta or that baby was having difficulties, AND/or if I just had one of those gut feelings there was something terribly wrong (but then, I'd imagine it would be too late to attempt to induce). See, that's what I don't understand. If it were truly an emergency, then baby would need to be born ASAP, not go through all the stress and time it takes to induce labor, so why not just wait until your body does it on its own?
#4 of 123 Old 09-27-2005, 09:14 PM

Unless the babe is in trouble don't induce. My ultrasound placed DD at 9 1/2 pounds and she was 8 lbs 2 oz. i kept telling them she was an 8 pounder. Trust yourself not them.
#5 of 123 Old 09-27-2005, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! DH and I have been talking, and we are wondering if our midwife will even want an induction, because from talking to her it seems like she is pretty hands off on that unless there is a problem. We are hoping that this is why the doctor said to go home tonight, and someone will call us in the AM to talk about induction. The techs were pretty sure I was going to be induced, but they are used to working with doctors.
#6 of 123 Old 09-27-2005, 09:47 PM

Ultrasounds are NOTORIOUSLY inaccurate for determining the baby's weight. I absolutely cannot believe that doctors are still pulling this crap! They're always wrong. Almost always. And even if your baby is ten pounds, what difference is another few days going to make? You can deliver a 9 lb 11 oz baby but not a 10 lb 1 oz baby? Bullcrap. You grew it, and unless you have been in some kind of bone-crushing accident or severaly deformed through illness it will fit through your pelvis, almost guaranteed. Deliver in a squat or some similar position to maximize the pelvic opening, and I would believe the 10-pound-baby line when I saw it with my own two eyes.

Don't worry, you'll be just fine! Hang in there!
#7 of 123 Old 09-27-2005, 10:00 PM

My DS1 was "expected" to weigh over 10 pounds, he was born 3 weeks later weighing a whopping 7 pounds, 6 ounces. I would not induce based on a u/s alone.
#8 of 123 Old 09-27-2005, 10:01 PM

Just say no

You're not even postdates! Unless I was 43 weeks and unsure of my baby's health I wouldn't even discuss induction with anyone. The size of a baby cannot be accurately determined by u/s and is no reason to induce anyway! Your body will only grow a baby perfect for you to push out. I say go home, ignore everyone until you're in strong labour and then call whoever you have to, if you really want to...

Try these for more info.
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/biophysical.asp - why biophysical profiling is a crock.
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/pelvis.asp - why the idea of the large baby is a crock.
http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregna...,,8nbq,00.html - the ludicrous notion of inducing because of a large baby... (perceived large baby!)
#9 of 123 Old 09-27-2005, 10:03 PM
Banned

Personally I wouldn't induce because baby might be big. There needs to be a more compelling reason than that for me. Especially, like you already know, ultrasounds that guesstimate weights are usually way off. They did one the day before son was born that said he was 9lbs, he was 8lbs 2oz. So much for that. I know it's hard to trust your instincts when the "professionals" start trying the scare tactics. Do you have diabetes or some other condition that would lead you to grow an unusually large baby? Because other than that your body is capable of birthing a large baby, as long as you're allowed to keep moving and changing positions and all that other good stuff. I'm sure you already know this but being induced does increase your risk of c-sect quite a bit. And you're right, there is no way in heck I'd touch Cytotec with a 20 foot pole. Especially considering that the FDA and the drug's manufacturer have both issued warnings about it's use in labor. Have you read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin? I know a lot of people that really gained a lot of confidence and strength from it, me included. I wish you all the best luck in the world!!!!!
#10 of 123 Old 09-27-2005, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with everything everyone else has said. Just say no. I will repeat my mantra to you like I have to many women here before: FAT IS SQUISHY. Babies are not heavy because they enormous skeletons, newborns weigh more or less based on bodyfat. And fat is squishy. You will not have a hard time delivering a baby because they are chubby. You can have a giant head and broad shoulders on a six pound baby, or you can have an average-sized head on a ten pound baby. (In fact, my sister recently had a 9lb 9oz boy with a 13.25" head -- that slightly below average.)

Also, your height has nothing to do with your pelvic outlet. And there is no way of predicting how much room your body can make if you are relaxed, have an unaugmented labor where your tissues and ligaments have the chance to move apart, and if you birth in the position of your choice without directed pushing.

You CAN do this. You can be strong enough to refuse induction. You know in your heart it's not what's best for you or the baby. And keep telling yourself: FAT IS SQUISHY.
#11 of 123 Old 09-27-2005, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Dimples
And even if your baby is ten pounds, what difference is another few days going to make? You can deliver a 9 lb 11 oz baby but not a 10 lb 1 oz baby? Bullcrap.
I agree with this! Your baby will only gain a few ounces a week this late in the game. So why try to force your body to do something it is not ready for (and seriously risk a Csection that they will blame on a "big baby") when you can wait for your body to start doing what it needs to do on its own?

Don't induce for this reason alone.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#12 of 123 Old 09-27-2005, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Just say no. I will repeat my mantra to you like I have to many women here before: FAT IS SQUISHY
I agree with the others and this is an excellent way to put it.
#13 of 123 Old 09-27-2005, 10:46 PM

No No No! My ds "weighed" in at around 6lbs+ via an u/s...induction follwed 2 days later - he was born via C-SECTION at just under 9lbs - They were nearly THREE POUNDS OFF! - plus I ended up with a c--section that could have been 100% prevented. They blamed it on the fact that he was "big" - but my dd#3 was born intervention free and her head was an inch bigger and she weighed more...soooo.... :

As for your size...my aunt gave birth to twin girls - each weighing in at 9 pounds - she is five feet tall - it was a 100% drug free, vaginal birth! whoo-hoo!
#14 of 123 Old 09-27-2005, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlewomyn
we are wondering if our midwife will even want an induction, because from talking to her it seems like she is pretty hands off on that unless there is a problem. We are hoping that this is why the doctor said to go home tonight, and someone will call us in the AM to talk about induction. The techs were pretty sure I was going to be induced, but they are used to working with doctors.
okay...whose birth is it? do not turn YOUR birth over...do it yourself in your own (and your baby's own) way and time.

and about the hypnobirthing...try the mind sweep trick (i did hypno classes, read books not associated with the class, found this in one and did this myself and liked it alot)
get into that place you learned about in hypnobirthing and then
imagine the worst scenario, colorful, as if it were a movie scene in your mind. for me this was getting all out of control and letting pain and craziness preside and being mean and ugly to DH and my MW. and get detailed with it. i imagined what my hair and forhead would look like and how i would sound and how i would feel. and i made the lighting in the room seem unpleasant to give more of the feel of "wrong." then in the lower corner (like picture in picture TV) imagine the best scenario, as detailed as you can be. for me this was remaining calm and centered and having a blissful, spiritual birth and keeping focus. i was graceful and the baby slipped out into my arms. the lighting was soft and we all looked like angels from a painting. then you "swish" the bad image and replace it with the good image. you do it over and over, making the good image bright and vivid and large as life. eventually, the bad image is hard to conjure and the good one becomes your reality.

this is a pretty simplistic way, but you can get the idea. it's really just a specific technique for "thinking positively."

it's also pretty important at this point to get centered in your mind with the hypnosis and talk to the baby and tell yourself and baby about how the birth is going to happen - naturally, in it's own time, yadda, yadda.

good luck! can't wait to hear the story!
#15 of 123 Old 09-28-2005, 12:09 AM

Just say no. That's exactly why I didn't do ultrasounds at all... you don't get any useful info, just scare tactics.

-Angela
#16 of 123 Old 09-28-2005, 12:11 AM
Banned

Ultrasounds are usually way way off for body weight - by an average of 2 pounds. 2 pounds is a lot, you know?
#17 of 123 Old 09-28-2005, 01:29 AM

My mom is 5'4", and I was 10 lbs 2 oz.

My VBAC baby was 9 lbs 4 oz.

*Someone* has to give birth to babies who are heavier than average. We shouldn't be penalized for it.

I agree with the "fat is squishy" sentiment. Z had an average sized head, even though he was "heavy" and long.

It sounds like everything else is healthy, and that perhaps (*perhaps*) your baby will be tall.
#18 of 123 Old 09-28-2005, 01:56 AM

http://www.birthlove.com

It is a paid membership site, but they have a great 10-month mama area, with a few articles. Some very good information on why it's normal to go over 40 weeks, what can be done to minimize the possibility of problems, why you should definitely NOT use castor oil, etc.
#19 of 123 Old 09-28-2005, 02:15 AM

How big do you think the baby is? Moms have a pretty good guess I think. Not that I think size is a reason to induce.

A great trick I learned from Spiritual Midwifery was to keep telling yourself, "I'm going to get huge." With #5 I was expecting a big baby (he just ended up being really tall with a huge head lol) but I was reapting that mantra in labor. When it came time to push he flew out of me. Pushing took less than a min, all in 1 contraction from zero station to out. He had a 14 1/2 in head too.

Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#20 of 123 Old 09-28-2005, 11:28 AM

I agree that fat is squishy. My boys were 7'12 and 9'9, but their heads were about the same size. My midwife also thought the 9'9 baby was only going to be 5 or 6 pounds

I mean really how much bigger are the head and shoulders going to grow in a week or so?
#21 of 123 Old 09-28-2005, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

I talked to my midwife this morning and I am in total shock. So, not only are they concerned because the baby is big, she has a large chest circumfrence, and there is too much amniotic fluid. Also, the baby hasn't dropped into my pelvis yet (one of the things they use an indication of a big baby) My midwife told me that she recommends a scheduled c-section. She told me the office would call me back to schedule the c-section. I asked my midwife how often these things are off, and she told me that they can be off by a pound. She said that if I tried to go vaginally, she would not deliver me. I got off the phone and started bawling.
I talked to my doula and a friend who hypnobirthed last year. My friend suggested going in for a consultation with one of the doctors, so I can feel better about this.
The midwife just called, DH talked to her and told her that we want to talk to a doctor. She said to call the office, the one on duty today is notorius for being a c-section pusher, so we are going to go in tomorrow and talk to the doctor who is in then.

I just don't know what to do, this seems totally ridiculous that this perfectly healthy pregnancy has turned into this (I passed my one hour glucose test, could I have had developed gestational diabetes in the meantime?). I am also blaming myself for not eating healthier and eating too much ice cream. I am scared, I feel helpless, I don't know what to do. I want to say no to the c-section, but if something does happen to the baby, I would never forgive myself. If I say yes to a c-section and this baby comes out a normal size, I will be so livid.
#22 of 123 Old 09-28-2005, 12:18 PM

Can they really accurately assess chest circumference via u/s?

I'm a cautious person; I don't like to take chances. But I really feel like what you've been told doesn't make a lot of sense and that they're trying to scare you into this, and that's just not fair.

Can you just take the day to relax, try not to think about it, and meet with the more reasonable dr. tomorrow? And hey--this is not about you doing something wrong. Not at all.
#23 of 123 Old 09-28-2005, 12:25 PM

I see absolutely no reason to have a c/s. My mom, a CNM, says have your baby at home. Your midwife & doc are avoiding liability and it's assinine. She feels that you will be sabotaged if you try to deliver vaginally with these people. Try to transfer if you can to anyone else that will allow you to labor. Otherwise, stay at home as long as possible. Go to the hospital at the last possible moment. Like when the baby's crowning.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#24 of 123 Old 09-28-2005, 12:27 PM

Deep breaths, deep cleansing breaths.

Your body knows how to grow and birth a healthy baby, listen to it.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#25 of 123 Old 09-28-2005, 12:35 PM

A large baby is not a medical indication for a c-section, especially without a trial of labor. That's assuming they even know it's large, which they don't, since ultrasounds in 3rd trimester are plus or minus 2 pounds of the estimate typically. I can't even count how many women have come to ICAN with huge regrets and bitterness having been sectioned for "large" babies that turned out to be 2 or more pounds less than estimate. I would read empowering birth stories of mamas who gave birth to 9lb + babies-- lots of women give birth to 10lb + babies even with no problem, even after they were sectioned for a smaller baby.

BTW, it's pretty unlikely that anything you ate has anything to do with the size.

This practice sounds like poison to me. I would really try hard to find another care provider. Get on every list you can and try to get a good recommendation for your area.
#26 of 123 Old 09-28-2005, 12:48 PM

From what I have read before, too much fluid is a problem which can cause pre-term delivery and that obviously hasn't happened!

http://www.umm.edu/pregnancy/special...ydramnios.html

I don't know the 'legal' position over where you are but over here in the UK they can make appointments for induction and ceasarian but you are not obliged to show up or sign for consent if you don't want to.

Do all the walking you can, talk your baby down, eat food that you fancy and go to the movies or somewhere else that you won't be going to for a while.

Then
Hide out at home, dance a round all afternoon and keep warm, snuggly and love your belly a bit longer.
#27 of 123 Old 09-28-2005, 12:48 PM

All I'm going to say is, you can do this. A baby who has not yet dropped is a baby who is not yet ready to be born- if they try an induction, you WILL end up with a section, especially with a first.
My firstborn weighed in at 14 lbs, was born vaginally at home with the aid of a good midwife and as near as dammit fell down the toilet He did, admittedly, have a relatively small head (50th centile- for length and weight he was off the scale) Fat is squishy, as has already been pointed out, but IME a long baby will take longer to engage fully in the pelvis- this is based entirely on anecodotal evidence, because as far as I know there's been no studies done BUT the later babies were the long ones.
So, the question is, how stroppy are you prepared to be? Are you going to fight with this midwife, or are you going to go looking for a replacement?
OH- fwiw, I don't believe in the existence of gestational diabetes, at least not in terms of producing large babies (if, otoh, you had any symptoms, that would be different). If some stupid doctor trying to defraud insurance companies by ordering unnecessary tests chooses to think that a GTT is a good idea, let him- there's a reason why most countries with state-funded healthcare don't bother with them (i.e. they're inaccurate.) I have big babies because I have a big bottom and child-bearing hips (i.e. a fat ass), inherited from generations of down-to-earth, baby-birthing, hard-working women who didn't have time for all this namby-pamby nonsense with ultrasounds and medicine because they had lives to lead and jobs to do, unlike dumb quacks. Oh, and I'm only 5 ft 3.
I'm really sorry this is happening to you, but somewhat angry on your behalf.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#28 of 123 Old 09-28-2005, 12:51 PM

Oh, and when your normal sized baby is delivered vaginally (preferably by someone else) find out if you can sue them for breach of contract. Their excuses are pitiful.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#29 of 123 Old 09-28-2005, 12:56 PM

First, it appears that you actually have a MEDwife instead of a midwife performing your care. I had the first with DD (too bad you can't identify them until it is almost too late).

Secondly, error w/weight on a u/s is not measured by lbs but by percentage of body weight. So saying that u/s is off by 1 lb doesn't even make sense.

Thirdly, my sister had a planned c-section on 9/9 and gave birth to a 7lb 3 ounce, 19", 14" head (no engagement so actually would have been closer to 13" after l&d) baby girl. A full 9 days earlier the baby had been estimated to be at least 10 lbs with close to a 15" head. The baby was breech but the doctor decided to not even try to turn her because she was just too big to turn and probably wouldn't anyway--- since she was SOOO huge and stuffed in there :

Not as extreme (but possibly more damaging) my niece was born by scheduled c-section at 36 weeks. Estimated weight of 7lb 15oz lbs on Friday. On Monday she was born weighing 6lb 12oz. That meant after weight loss they had a 6lb baby on their hands instead of the 8lb one they were expecting.

Personally, I would not schedule a c-section. At the very least, I believe babys should get to come when they are ready--- not when it makes a doctors vacation easier or gives them an easy three day weekend. Labor has many positive effects on the baby I would not easily pass over.

I would also take the time and look into the possible complications and risks of a c-section. You mention not being able to forgive yourself if the baby was actually harmed. Do your homework. Do you really think that *statistically* the baby would be better off w/a planned c-section? Do you think you would be? (at this point you would be almost guaranteed no vaginal births).

Lastly, if ice cream intake determined baby size I would have had 15lb monsters instead of the 7.14 & 8.2 perfectly sized babies I got. During DDs pregnancy I craved pie and ate it at every opportunity I had. I always eat a lot of ice cream (seriously, I have been known to eat two pints of Ben & Jerry's in a single sitting).

Good luck with your decision.

#30 of 123 Old 09-28-2005, 01:05 PM

And read Pamamidwife's post at the bottom of page 1 here which is about babies 'getting even bigger by next week.'

Darn docs where do they get off? Having a caesarian is the least best option.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page