Question Re: Pushing and Hospitals - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2005, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted you to know that I had a wonderful hospital birth with my DS. I labored at home for a long time and arrived at the hospital at 8 cm. I had a midwife that seemed to instinctively know what I needed or didn't need at the time and was really respectful. I had major concerns about tearing stemming from my first birth, and she did encourage me to push in a variety of positions until we found a few that seemed to work for me and then we switched around between those few. I only had a tear that was slightly more than a skid mark and felt fine a in a week or two. I also didn't have any monitoring other than an occasional stethescope check, and no IV or hep lock. No internal checks except for when I arrived and one that *I* asked for when *I* wanted to know if I was complete. My water broke on its own at about 9.5 cm. I left in 24 hours after birth, and they didn't give me any pitocin after birth. My son was never taken from my room, and I could have refused any of the things I did let happen (ex: vit K drops, bath, etc...). It was fabulous and very empowering.

Yay for crunchy Madison, WI!

Stacy-- Wife to my DH, mom to three: noodle girl:, Lego boy , little guy :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2005, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleet76
I just wanted you to know that I had a wonderful hospital birth with my DS.
Mine was pretty good too. It may be a challenge to set up, but it is possible, if you are with the right provider. My provider was a midwifery service that attends you and supervises everything themselves - the labor nurses don't get involved except to support the midwife and follow her directions. I wasn't in the L&D area for long, but the one labor nurse I had was *very* hands off, yielding completely to the midwife. I could tell she didn't like it, but she was following her orders. If you can find a provider like this, I think you can have an empowering hospital birth.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=347105

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
Old 10-05-2005, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora114
MrsMoe: The hospital you are gonna birth at "Sais" you can use the squatting bar, or whatever. But trust me, they prefer you in the stranded beetle position.

or at least propped up with your ankles behind your ears.

The nurses there RARELY see an unmendicated labour/birth and dont know how to handle it. Seriously. If you get a clueless nurse, tell her to either get you a nurse that HAS a clue, or just leave.

A friend of mine delivered at that hospital, under the care of the same midwives I saw *same ones that delivered my dd too lol* and the nurse that was on duty that night, broke the bed down, and tried to get my friend to push in the stranded beetle position.

So, just a little FYI, your Doula is gonna have to do some real hard talking to you and your DH for proper pushing positions in that hospital.

*Mom and baby friendly my rear end...*

I've actually heard a lot of really positive feedback in regards to the hospital by not only my doula and my OBGYN, but by 2 other doulas as well! So time will tell.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Banned

Yeah you're right, I'll ask my friend what the name of the nurse that was there when she delivered *Midwife attended, but she still had a nurse come in and break the bed and told her to lay on her back*

That way if you get her, you know to either edcuate her, or ask for another *if there's another on duty :P Remember where we live here*
Old 10-05-2005, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Yeah you're right, I'll ask my friend what the name of the nurse that was there when she delivered *Midwife attended, but she still had a nurse come in and break the bed and told her to lay on her back*

That way if you get her, you know to either edcuate her, or ask for another *if there's another on duty :P Remember where we live here*
Having a baby in the hospital is the entire reason we are hiring a doula. We can't really afford it, but we are finding the money. Between her and my husband, won't have to worry too much.

I know first hand the nurse who is on duty can either be wonderful or make your life miserable. I want to see the nurses as little as possible. :LOL
Old 10-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Banned

Well I just dropped her an email, and I'll get the nurses name if she remembers, or at least a rough description.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Banned

This is what my friend said:

Quote:
I haven't a clue, I don't remember being introduced and she was kicked
out the room quite unceremoniously when Andreia finally arrived. I
don't even remember her face, but she was a bottle blond and had red
nail polish (which is really horribly against any hospital policy I've
ever heard of). The nurses on the PP floor were the absolute worst, all
of them, ask her if her OB can let her recover in L&D and be
discharged from there (if she's comfortable with that). If she needs an
LC, Eileen Shay (sp?) is the BEST in the hammer, don't even bother with
the LCs at the Hoe's.

Old 10-05-2005, 04:06 PM

So - I take it that L&D nurses operate on the assumption that childbirth sucks, so they should make it as bad as they can? This stuff is horrifying, but I remember one of my sister's nurses being a complete...never mind, I shouldn't say that on MDC. But, our doctor complained afterwards, and she was suspended. She was soooo awful.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 10-05-2005, 04:23 PM

I think it may be up to the individual doctor. My OB lets women labor and birth in whatever position they want. She said the only caveat is that in a squatting position, she can't control the perineum as well, but if that's how the mom wants to birth, she's all for it. She also likes for the mom to catch their own babies.

I gave birth sitting up (the bed was in the full upright position). The lights were dim, the bed wasn't broken down (ie, no stirrups, etc.) and I directed my own pushing. In fact, I started pushing before the doctor even had her gloves on. She was joking, "Hey, wait for me!" :LOL
Old 10-05-2005, 05:09 PM

My doctor said I could give birth standing on my head if I wanted to. Though he did say it probably wouldn't be very productive that way. :LOL I did end up giving birth on my back, and I think it was the bed. Those beds are really high up and it was hard for me to get up and out of it, so I didn't. I wish that I had though.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:41 PM

"I think it was the bed. Those beds are really high up and it was hard for me to get up and out of it"

And see, that's what happens. They can promise the moon, but they know (my stepmom is a NICU nurse and attends births as a fill-in for L&D nurses/peds when needed) that you'll get there, you'll get into the "comfy" bed...then they crank that thing up to the ceiling, take off the bottom half...and they KNOW you're not going to want to get down, you're not going to want to stand up, etc.

I once had a conversation with my stepmom about shoulder dystocia, and I told her the time-immemorial trick that Ina Mae Gaskin "brought" to the States, of the mom getting on hands and knees...Nancy looked at me as though I had three beds. That was so far from her comfort level, and she said simply that a woman in the hospital is going to have so many tubes (*this is from a woman who had THREE natural births in hospitals in the 80s and early 90s!!!*) coming out of her and will most likely have an epidural and will be up SO high...that forceps or a c-section will be easier for everyone than simply flopping over. It's rotten, I tell you.

They can promise everything, but they know how high their beds are and how difficult it will be to move...
Old 10-06-2005, 12:49 AM

I catch babies pushed out in positions other than lying down in the hospital all the time. In particular, I have a lot of moms squat or do hands and knees. I have a lot of nice labor nurses, too, who will help moms into a true squat, and help support their weight if they get tired. One time, 2 of our nurses held up a mom with an epidural for 40 minutes while she squatted her baby out. She couldn't move the baby at all in the bed, and I always try squatting before anything more drastic like vacuum. The nurses were tired from holding up the mom, but we could all see that it was the only thing that worked for her, even though with her jello legs she needed the nurses to pretty much completely support her weight. The next day, I had another laboring mama with an epidural, with the same nurses. She also was having a hard time moving the baby and I thought we needed to try some better positions. I said that out loud, and the nurses looked at each other, looked at the 350 + lb mom, looked at me and said in unison "We are not squatting!" It was kind of funny. We ended up with hands and knees instead, and this mom had enough feeling to support herself that way. She pushed her 9 lb first baby out that way.
Recently, I caught a baby with myself kneeling on the bathroom floor, and the mom standing and holding her dh's shoulders. My only issue? I had a moment of sheer terror when I thought I might drop the slippery little bugger on the hard floor. If we are going to stand, I prefer to stand over something soft, or have a towel or something handy for baby to fall into. This baby came so fast it was sort of like a diving volleyball move on my part to catch before she could hit the floor! This mom insists that I need to offer standing in the bathroom to everyone, though - she thought her birth was really comfortable!
In all seriousness, though, I think many, many docs are really uncomfortable with anything but lithotomy or semi-sitting. It takes practice to rotate the anatomy in your head, and to know what to do with your hands (although of course "nothing" is a viable option, too!) A doc really is unlikely to be able to do anything interventive in a gravity aided position (which is of course a good thing, although they may not see it that way.) But here's a news flash - babies come out even if you can't see the perineum. And there is no reason you need to be staring up a mom's crotch the whole time she's pushing. That argument about not being able to support the perineum doesn't hold much water, either. I tend to do minimal support, anyway, but I could certainly do anything in a full squat or stand that I could in a lying down position - except cut an episiotomy or use an instrument. Also, most of the gravity aided positions mean that the doc has to be below the patient. For moms who squat or kneel or stand, I sit on the floor, or kneel on the floor myself. That's a pretty unpowerful position for a doc who's used to being an all-powerful being. If you can't visualize your doc kneeling at your feet, it isn't likely to happen IRL either.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:54 AM

Doctorjen. If I decide I really *need* professional medical help when the time comes, I'm so going to try for someone like you.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Doctorjen

I really am impressed that you have such a supportive hospital staff--
I already knew you were great ; )
Old 10-06-2005, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
This is what my friend said: I haven't a clue, I don't remember being introduced and she was kicked
out the room quite unceremoniously when Andreia finally arrived. I
don't even remember her face, but she was a bottle blond and had red
nail polish (which is really horribly against any hospital policy I've
ever heard of). The nurses on the PP floor were the absolute worst, all
of them, ask her if her OB can let her recover in L&D and be
discharged from there (if she's comfortable with that). If she needs an
LC, Eileen Shay (sp?) is the BEST in the hammer, don't even bother with
the LCs at the Hoe's.

What is PP floor? Post Partum? Don't you get to stay in the same room through labor and delivery and afterwards? I was under the impression you did...

As far as discharge, since I know I will recover far better at home... and since we are paying OOP - baby and I will be checking out same day as my L&D - even if it is against medical advice - unless my BP is super high or any other medical reason *I* deem serious enough. And of course if I deliver late at night I would stay until the next morning.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:05 AM
Banned

yes the Post Partum floor. You get moved an hour after you deliver.

They were feeding you a load of hooey on that one dear You labour and birth in a "suite' but then you get moved to the post partum floor about an hour after. You are either warded with 2-4 other women or their babies, or, you can pay out of pocket for your own private recovery 'suite'
Old 10-06-2005, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMoe
What is PP floor? Post Partum? Don't you get to stay in the same room through labor and delivery and afterwards? I was under the impression you did...
I don't know if all hospitals are structured the same way, but here we have one patient L&D rooms, which are quite nice. After recovery (an hour or so for c-section - don't know about vaginal), you get transferred to the maternity ward, which are standard 2 or 3 bed hospital rooms. They usually put one mom in each room first, so you get a room alone until there are too many moms, then they start doubling up. I don't mind the room, but they're very standard hospital rooms, not like the L&D rooms.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 10-06-2005, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamommy
Definately go over it in detail with your OB. Despite how nasty the hospital nurses might want to get and how much "policy" they want to site, what matters is that you have your OB on board. At least that's what I've found in my situation. My OB is so touchy that when I went into the hospital with pre-term labor the nurses wouldn't even do a vaginal check without getting her permission first. It might be more inconvenient for the hospital staff when you push in a different position, but since when did we exist to make their lives easier?
Unfortunately it didn't work that way for me. I totally had my OB on board for my natural birth plan. When I got to the hospital the nurses insisted I play by their rules. It was "policy". My OB didn't even show up to the hospital until after I had been pushing for 2 hours. By then it was too late for me to ask him to referee, I already had the epidural and tear streaks down my face from fighting with nurses. Sigh.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:43 PM

Let me see if I have this straight? With a hospital birth, you have to leave your nice comfy house and drive to the hospital, deal with paperwork, fight nurses through labor and delivery (unless lucky, go DoctorJen ), and then just when you should be cuddling your new baby, you have to move *again*? And your baby might not even be with you? And many people go through that by choice?

Mrs. Moe I'm sorry you have to go to the hospital, I hope there are marvelous nurses there and things go smoothly and wonderfully for you.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:53 PM

Now, the hospital I was at...you L&D'd in one (really nice) room and then you were moved later to the Materinity room (also really nice and private).
The hospital I will be going to with any future pregnancies you L&D in the same room that you stay in thru your entire stay. (one big, nice, private room)
So, I guess each hospital is different, but I'd rather be in a private room than have to share with another family.

partners.gif = angel2.gifloveeyes.gif & shy.gif
Old 10-07-2005, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben's Mommy
Now, the hospital I was at...you L&D'd in one (really nice) room and then you were moved later to the Materinity room (also really nice and private).
The hospital I will be going to with any future pregnancies you L&D in the same room that you stay in thru your entire stay. (one big, nice, private room)
Same here - it was an all-in-one-deal, the reason why I chose the hospital. Also, they served Gardenburgers...It really depends upon the hospital. I've also seen a bait 'n' switch where they show you one LDRP room (what they're called in the biz, I think - labor, delivery, recovery postpartum?) - but HA the trick on you is that they've only got one room like this. All the other rooms, you labor in rooms with other women (!) and recover with other women, but get moved only for the delivery to a single room. I think I would kill someone. Or the market capitalist at some hospitals has decided to charge you for the privilege of a private room, bleh.

On to the topic - I was also preeclamptic, and they had me labor on my left side because of seizure issues, BP, and because it was actually more comfortable (nurse supporting my leg, MW delivering). There were probably some other reasons as well, but it wasn't as bad as lying on your back. And I had MASS technology all hooked up to me. I looked like a pregnant cyborg.

Oh, those were the days (sigh).

User Tag List