How did your mama give birth to you? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How did your birth mama give birth to you?
vaginally, head down, no pain killing drugs 102 45.74%
vaginally, head down, with pain killing drugs 73 32.74%
vaginally, breach, no pain killing drugs 2 0.90%
vaginally, breach, with pain killing drugs 3 1.35%
cesarian 34 15.25%
I don't know 0 0%
vaginally, no other details known 9 4.04%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 89 Old 10-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom was 17 and 3 weeks overdue. They gave her meds for induction, nothing happened, so they gave more. My heart nearly stopped and they did an emergency c-section. With my younger brother 11 years later, she tried again for vaginal, but after 2 weeks if being overdue and nothing giong on they tried induction again. When nothing happened, they c-sectioned. My youngest brother was a planned section. She breastfed all of us, and finally got to be present for a vaginal birth when I had Grace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 89 Old 10-06-2005, 09:51 AM

My mom did it all! lol
I was her first at 19, vaginally, head down, no pain meds. She said it was hard work, but bearable. She stayed out of the hospital and up walking for most of the labor because the hospital didn't let dads in the delivery room, and when she finally decided she needed to rest, it was time to push.
My brother was also vaginal, head down no pain meds, but he was a pitocin induction for leaking fluid. She said the pain from the pitocin contractions was a 12 on a scale of 1-10!
My first sister was an emergency c/s for undiagnosed placenta previa and maternal hemorrhage. She had general and a clasical incision because of the emergency.
She had hoped for a VBAC with my 2nd sister, but because of the incision, she went with an ERCS with epidural.

Heather, DW to Clyf: & ::: Mama to Bridget: 3/22/05 CP: & Braden:7/12/08 Retired EPer-27mos:
#63 of 89 Old 10-06-2005, 10:36 AM

I assume I was head down, I know my mum had lots of drugs though :
#64 of 89 Old 10-06-2005, 02:57 PM

Location: Driftless Region of Iowa, on a beautiful little farm.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My mom had just married my dad and he took her from Germany to Texas (where he was stationed) She was in labor at an army hospital, only spoke German, and my dad was no where to be found. They gave her a spanish speaking doc and knocked her out with some pretty heavy drugs (she still remembers the pink poodles in the room better than giving birth to me :LOL ) She was scared and alone, and they kind of shoved her from room to room until they released her. Anyway, she had an epidural with my brother and she wants me to have one too. I told her she can't watch if she can't support my choices!

#65 of 89 Old 10-06-2005, 04:42 PM

Both my brother and I were vaginal deliveries, head down, with pain meds. I was induced at 42 weeks. The ob (who is now my uncle by marriage) stripped her membranes at an appointment and sent her over to the hospital. By the time she checked in she had an order for a spinal. She told the nurse she didn't want drugs and was told that her doctor didn't do drug free deliveries, so she had a spinal. She went into labor on her own with my brother, although the ob put her on pitocin anyway to speed things up. I know she had pain meds, a spinal or maybe an epidural.

I asked the ob (dh's uncle) about the no drug-free delivery policy and he said it was true - he would refuse to deliver a patient who didn't want pain meds. He also refused to have dads in the delivery room and said it was one of the worst things to ever happen to obstetrics when they started letting dads in l&d. Crazy.

April
Mama to and
#66 of 89 Old 10-06-2005, 04:57 PM

I was breach and mom had me without any drugs at all.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#67 of 89 Old 10-06-2005, 05:35 PM

She had us both vaginally head down, no drugs. She often brags about how easy it was, gave me a hard time about having an epi with my first. She still thinks my body is defective since I needed the interventions (even though I have proven her wrong by having two homebirths) another issue, totally OT!

I think meds were common in those days, she claims it was rare to go totally natural. She was also the only one on the floor breastfeeding and I guess the nurses thought she was weird.
#68 of 89 Old 10-06-2005, 06:43 PM

My mom had me using Lamaze back in 1973, and managed it with no drugs. My siblings were also all born vaginally, no drugs, using Lamaze techniques, and my sister was footling breech! My mom said they did not know till the doctor felt a foot instead of a head when she was ready to push!

She has been my inspiration to give it a try with no drugs when birthing my kids...of course if helps that I have had fast labors.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#69 of 89 Old 10-06-2005, 07:30 PM

My mom gave birth to me in 1979, after 16 hours of labor. She had a little Demerol for pain, and as a result of hospital policy at the time (small-town hospital), they strapped her arms to the guardrails of the hospital bed. : She felt absolutely dehumanized by the experience, and resolved to go without ANY meds during my brother's birth. She did it, too, after only 7 hours of labor (though she had back labor the entire time, and said it was harder than with me).

I believe hearing about my mother's experiences giving birth was a big part of my initial interest in pregnancy and childbirth, and my later decision to become a midwife.
#70 of 89 Old 10-06-2005, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmamma
my sister was footling breech! My mom said they did not know till the doctor felt a foot instead of a head when she was ready to push!
My grandmother (mother's mother) had a similar experience with her first (of 8) births . . . although I think my aunt may have been a frank breech instead of a footling. And she gave birth vaginally--a first-timer and all!
#71 of 89 Old 10-06-2005, 07:50 PM

My mom had all 4 of us vaginally, head down with no pain meds. First two induced via AROM, but no pitocin. The 4 of us were born between 1975 and late 1980. Mom says she didn't take any Lamaze or Bradley classes either.

I think it may have helped that she delivered us in a hospital founded by an osteopath though.
#72 of 89 Old 10-06-2005, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora114
70's style lamaze really got you breathin so much you almost hyperventalated

Wooohooo HEEEEEE woooohooo heeeeee wooooohooo heeee
That is correct.

That is why they recommended a brown paper bag to take to the hospital to relieve it. :

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#73 of 89 Old 10-07-2005, 03:54 AM

I was born by c-section in 1983. My mom was 19, and had pre-e when she was 7 months along. I weighed less than 3 lbs, and was in the NICU for 3 months. I think mom also said something about having an inverted uterus, and her uterine walls being "thinner" than is normal. (?) My sister was born 4 years later by planned c-section. She was 2 weeks early, and weighed 9 lb, 11 oz.
#74 of 89 Old 10-07-2005, 01:57 PM

I was born at home! The only kid I knew growing up who was. It's funny that as kids, my group found it very important to anounce what hospital they were born in...I had to form my own highly exclusive club! :LOL
#75 of 89 Old 10-07-2005, 02:10 PM

I was an emergency c-section--prolapse cord. Poor mom hadn't had any pain medication during labor, so they knocked her out during the c-section. She said it was terrible because they wouldn't let her hold me until she could feel her legs, but they gave her so many drugs that it took forever. I was her first baby. When my bro was born, they gave her an c-section as well but the pain medication didn't work at all! Yikes!!!!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#76 of 89 Old 10-07-2005, 03:00 PM

1970. My mom's water broke an whole 7 days before I was born. She said it was no big deal back then. 4 days after the water broke, they gave her some pitocin pills (?) but it didn't work, so they sent her back home. I was born 3 days later, after a 12 hr labor or so.

My mom still talks about how pointy my head was. She was 28 yrs old.

My mom bf'd me for 5 months, which was a long time back then. The "recipe" for artificial formula was whole milk, corn syrup and water. Yuck.
#77 of 89 Old 10-07-2005, 05:03 PM

My mom said she had me vaginally with no pain medication, they offered but she told them no. She had my brother by c-section 10 1/2 months later.

Karen
Austin Tyler 1-14-98
Andrew Dallas 6-27-01
Alana Elizabeth 4-14-05 :
#78 of 89 Old 10-08-2005, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frigga
I was born at home! The only kid I knew growing up who was. It's funny that as kids, my group found it very important to anounce what hospital they were born in...I had to form my own highly exclusive club! :LOL
Me too.

My classmates thought I was really weird.

I was born in 1954, so in the early 1960s, I was a real

When I had my own children, I felt alone, but cool since I knew on a very real level that I was absolutely correct and I ignored everyone who did not agree with me.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#79 of 89 Old 10-08-2005, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was born in a birth center. It was actually the doctors house. He and his wife ran the birth center. My mom got there at 9 cm and the dr and his wife got out of the bed and changed the sheets and an hour later I was born on lime green floral sheets. LOL

My 2 brothers were born in birth centers too (different ones) and my last brother that died at birth was born in a hospital (cord choked him.)

Desiree

#80 of 89 Old 10-08-2005, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
vaginally in a hospital with demerol. I was head down as far as I know.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#81 of 89 Old 10-08-2005, 11:13 AM

: (that is, vaginally in the hospital with demerol, definitely head down)
I recently saw my mother's birth record and it says that she got pitocin but she adamantly denies that ... . It was a pretty fast labor, maybe 4 or 5 hours (just like mine )
#82 of 89 Old 10-08-2005, 04:57 PM

I'm the one c-section in the bunch. My mother's water broke, but I stubbornly refused to come out, and the pitocin wasn't doing a thing, so after a few days, they went ahead and removed me by force. (We believe that this foreshadowed my utter inability to drag myself out of bed in the mornings.)

My sister (1960) and brother (1976, VBAC) were both unmedicated heads down vaginal labors--long back labor with sis, and a quick 3 hour labor with bro. I think my brother was 70s style Lamaze.
#83 of 89 Old 10-08-2005, 07:25 PM

my mom was knocked out (general anaesthesia i think) for me and my sibs. i'm the youngest b 1964, sis 1957, bro 1955. my MIL had twilight sleep for hers. i had an epi in the hospital with my first (scared, uninformed -- birth ctr with the second), but both my mom and MIL were there for a lot of it. it was the closest thing to natural birth they'd ever seen . my bro's sis had c-secs and his SIL was clamoring for drugs as soon as she got in the hospital door. my sis lived too far away for my mom to get there for the birth of her kids. she had drug free births at the hospital. i wish they could have been there for dd2's birth, but she came 17 minutes after we got to the birth ctr (3 minutes from our house), so it was just us :LOL.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#84 of 89 Old 10-08-2005, 10:07 PM

my sister and i were both vaginal births with no induction or drugs. my mom did use an ob both times, though - and i am not sure about iv's and the like.
#85 of 89 Old 10-09-2005, 02:38 AM

Cord wrapped a bit, but by a midwife (I was first-born BTW, midwife for all three consecutive births thereafter as well)

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

#86 of 89 Old 10-09-2005, 02:12 PM

vaginally, head down, epidural, demerol, the works deep episiotomy and forceps

I've seen pictures of her holding me right after I was born and she looks bloated from the IV, white as a ghost, eyes barely open, and looks as if it's taking all the energy she has left just to smile and hold me

we both had 20 hour labors, the difference is I gave birth at home- in the pics of me and my son right after birth I look like I just went for a long run- sweaty and hair all messed up- but other than that my color is great, my eyes are full of energy and I don't look fatigued at all.

To me just comparing our after birth pics is the biggest reminder to me that homebirth was such a good choice!

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#87 of 89 Old 10-09-2005, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveChild421
To me just comparing our after birth pics is the biggest reminder to me that homebirth was such a good choice!
As a child, seeing the mothers of my playmates come home after a week of rest in the hospital and seeing my own mother moments after birth, is also a good measure that homebirth IS a good choice.

#88 of 89 Old 10-09-2005, 09:26 PM

I was the only one that my mom had pain meds for and it was only because I was a forcep delivery. I didn't want to come out, I was perfectly happy and warm inside. I was the second and the biggest of 4 at 8 lb 8 oz everybody else was in the 6 and 7 lb range. My brother born in 82 was the only one tht my dad actually saw, it just wasn't done in our town when my mom had my sisters and I in '73, '75 and '77.
#89 of 89 Old 10-09-2005, 09:39 PM

I was a c-section after 27 hours of labor with no meds. The only indicator for a c-section was the length of labor, my mom's water "had been broken for too long" (since before labor started) and she was tired. My little sister was a unscheduled repeat c-section.
To this day my mom doesn't think she could have given birth vaginally.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page