Cesaren Section Support Thread October 2005 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 153 Old 10-18-2005, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride
Of course, I did end up with a third section. Now, I'm trying to decide what to do about a fourth baby. I really, really, really want one more child. But, I don't want another section. And, I'm worried about the effect all of this has on me as a mother to my existing children. I know dd went through absolute hell this summer because I couldn't pick her up for weeks, and I'd scream when she threw herself at me and hit my incision. She just didn't get what was going on, and she's very, very spirited, anyway. She had a horrible time...

Maybe by the time you are ready for your fourth child, your dd will understand a little better. She may even me able to help you out some. I can't even imagine how tough the decision is for you to have your 4th child, and wonder about another impending c-sec, or if you are able to try a V-birth. I pray that you'll be able to come to a decision peacefully.
I'm not sure how you feel about adoption - but I just wanted to throw that out there as another idea of how to get your perfect family (without a c-sec). (but I do know adoptions are quite pricey now) One of my sisters is adopted, and our family wouldn't be the same without her. We are all pretty close, but I'm much closer with her than I am with my bio-sister. This has been something I've been thinking about for a while, since I've met you, so I hope you don't mind me suggesting it.
I hope whatever decision you come to will bring you some peace.

partners.gif = angel2.gifloveeyes.gif & shy.gif
#62 of 153 Old 10-18-2005, 10:10 PM

DH and I have also been talking about adoption. There are some definite pluses to that, and I could at least try to breastfeed...being able to breastfeed my babies is also very important to me. I think it makes me feel less like a failure for having the sections...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#63 of 153 Old 10-18-2005, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

StormBride - - I just read thru your VBAC post. As far as bfing goes for an adoption - it all depends on how old your baby will be. My parents got my sister when she was 18months, and right around the same time they had my bio-sis. I just asked my dad the other day if my mom bf'd my adopted sister, he said she did a few times, but she was so used to the bottle that she just preffered that. My sister wanted milk, and wanted it FAST! She would chew off the nipple on the bottle so it would come out faster! :LOL I think adopting is wonderful and have thought of it myself, as I'm sure after numerous c-sec's I'm bound to come up with some strange problem. I keep having this thought in the back of my head, that the next time I give birth there will be some problem and they'll have to take out my uterus and I won't be able to have any more kids. Hopefully that won't come true, but I just can't stop thinking the worst will happen, and I've only had one c-sec so far. I hate always wondering What if?? Dh right now isn't to keen on adopting yet...but then again we are currently trying for a biobaby right now. I'm sure I'll bring up adopting to dh sometime in the future, but not just yet. I hope with whatever you decide that it will be the perfect fit for your wonderful family.

#64 of 153 Old 10-18-2005, 10:38 PM

Hello mama's

just saw the thread. 6 1/2 mths post c/s. Little background, had a high-risk pp. Placed on bed-rest @31wks. Was induced @39 wks, was 3cm, -1, 50% did 8 hrs of pitocin, not much improvement. Decided I was going home. Went into labor 5 days later. Labored naturally for 23 1/2 hrs, including 3 hrs of pushing, in all positions. DS would not descend. Had a c/s, realized he was occiput posterior brow presentation. Had complications and needed transfusion.

**but my boy was a 10 on the apgar and in perfect health, and my milk came in, in under 48 hrs.

Still have numbness around incision site. Hope to do a vbac w/ next pp, keeping my fingers crossed.
#65 of 153 Old 10-19-2005, 10:12 AM

I wanted to say hi too...my 2nd baby (and 2nd c-section) is five days old. We decided to schedule it at almost 43 weeks gestation when we found out he had turned transverse, after I had tried everything to make a VBAC happen. We wanted it to happen on our terms and it did, and was actually a good experience especially compared to my first birth. I got to see and hold him right away and that made all the difference to me, plus the hospital was awesome and no one harassed us about formula, nursery, etc.

So I am still sorting through it all obviously but am basically glad to have a healthy baby who is very peaceful so far. Recovery's going pretty well. I am still pretty sore but am trying to do laps around my house. When did y'all start walking, as in, walking around the neighborhood or something like that? I don't want to push it but I am already wanting to have some kind of exercise going, as gentle as it can be.

Thanks mamas, glad this thread is here.
#66 of 153 Old 10-19-2005, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OK mommas, I need dream interpretation

So a little background - had 3rd section 7.5 month ago. I have decided that I will do EVERYTHING in my power to go for a vba3c for our next. I do not plan on getting preg for 3-4 years. My dh is understanding and supportive, as long as it happens in a hospital/birthcenter with a doc. (I still have lots of time to work on him).

So last night I have one of those real dreams, where it seems like it really happened and you wake up and have to real think to decided if what happened was real. In the dream I was about 6-7 months preg, and decided to take a bath in the late afternoon. My kids were all home, but dh was at work. While in the bath, I realize I am haveing strong contractions. After about 45 min, the baby is born. I could feel every contraction and the birth (and woke up feeling sore). I had to suck the gunk out of her nose, but she was fine after that. She weighed 9 lbs 2 oz, so not a preemie size, but I remember being sure of my dates. I got out of the bath and wraped us both in towels. My girls were still playing happily in the livingroom and were not suprised at all at my bringing a baby out. My dh was shocked when he got home and wanted to take her to the hospital, but relented after I would not got .

So, any insight? Or, just wishful thinking?

BTW, mamabeth, I got up and moved around faster with each section. First I was in bed for 3 days and in the hospital for 5. Second, I was in bed for almost 24 hours and in hospital for 3. Third I was out of the hospital in 48 hours, and buying a double jogging stroller when she was 12 days old (but I only drove on the freeway to bil's house, while he drove in the city:LOL)

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#67 of 153 Old 10-19-2005, 12:38 PM

Hi Mighty-Mamma and Mamabeth. Welcome!
Mamabeth: congratulations on your baby! I took it easy with #2, I had complications from the surgery. I'd just take things slow, don't push it and listen to your body

Might-Mama: My DD was the same presentation.. for you!

I get Mothering Mag..not sure if you all do. But if you do, this month's message from the editor is just wonderful.. Please read it. It spoke to me so deeply. I was crying as I read it. It really was a moving letter and one about expectations and forgiving yourself.

s to all

Chantal
#68 of 153 Old 10-19-2005, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben's Mommy
StormBride - - I just read thru your VBAC post. As far as bfing goes for an adoption - it all depends on how old your baby will be.
I think I'd try for a newborn. I know there are older children who need parents, but my personal preference is to start with a tiny little baby.

Quote:
I think adopting is wonderful and have thought of it myself, as I'm sure after numerous c-sec's I'm bound to come up with some strange problem. I keep having this thought in the back of my head, that the next time I give birth there will be some problem and they'll have to take out my uterus and I won't be able to have any more kids. Hopefully that won't come true, but I just can't stop thinking the worst will happen, and I've only had one c-sec so far. I hate always wondering What if??
I think after having had one section, it's hard to have the same confidence in things turning out right the next time. And, it would be even harder in your case, because nothing was what it should have been. But, if it makes you feel any better, my mom had three sections, and I've had three - and we're both fine, physically. My mom's had some trouble with adhesions, but that started with her first section, and the subsequent ones didn't seem to aggravate it at all. I think trying to stay positive is tremendously important - but I also know it's a lot harder than it sounds.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#69 of 153 Old 10-19-2005, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks StormBride...it does help to know people who have had numerous c-secs and are physically fine and able to reproduce. I think I'll be fine during my next pregnancy, but will be anxious to hear what the doc says about the condition of my uterus, and how my first scar healed..etc... I'm sure I'll get more and more paranoid with each pregnancy. I guess only time will tell.

Mamabeth - congrats! I would take it easy for awhile, and just let your body tell you how far to go. My doc freaked out when I told them I was walking 4 miles a day around 4 weeks post c-sec. I slowed down a little after that, and now it seems I'm too busy to excercise. But I did heal just fine.

Jessmcg - Great Dream! I'm not good at interpreting though.

#70 of 153 Old 10-21-2005, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth
So I am still sorting through it all obviously but am basically glad to have a healthy baby who is very peaceful so far. Recovery's going pretty well. I am still pretty sore but am trying to do laps around my house. When did y'all start walking, as in, walking around the neighborhood or something like that? I don't want to push it but I am already wanting to have some kind of exercise going, as gentle as it can be.
I remember going for a walk at 6 days pp with dd. It was the day after I got out of prison...err...the hospital...and I just felt so free. I only went around the block, and it took over twice as long as it usually would have, but it felt sooooo good to be outside.

#71 of 153 Old 10-21-2005, 10:46 AM

Yep, I think I will try a short walk today (1 week pp). I feel pretty good and am getting antsy. I could take older dd in the stroller so I can lean on it if I need to!

Last night I got a sharp pain for a second that I thought was my outer scar, but it hurt under the skin, up and to the side of my scar. I wonder if they had to make a J-incision in my uterus since ds was more or less transverse. or is that normal?
#72 of 153 Old 10-21-2005, 01:44 PM

I've had aches and pains of various kinds all through my pelvic/abdominal area with my sections, and they've all been lower transverse cuts. In particular, I had a sharp pain that recurred for months with dd - it was the left of the incision, and possibly slightly higher...hard to say for sure, as I obviously can't see where the uterine scar is. But, it stayed in the same place, right about the left side of the abdominal incision, even after the incision had healed and the scar wasn't that far over, anymore. I don't know if it was a muscle or a nerve or what, but it took a while to go away.

I'd ask your OB about the incision, though. My babies weren't transverse.

#73 of 153 Old 10-21-2005, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Last night I got a sharp pain for a second that I thought was my outer scar, but it hurt under the skin, up and to the side of my scar. I wonder if they had to make a J-incision in my uterus since ds was more or less transverse. or is that normal?
I have also had a similar pain. I don't remember it with my first section, but honestly I wasn't really worries about these things at that time. Its way above where the uterus is, so I'm not worried about that. I'm assuming its either an adhesion or nerve pain. My scars are both low transverse, although this time I also had a rupture down into my cervix.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#74 of 153 Old 10-21-2005, 06:25 PM

I walked about a half mile 6 days pp, downhill and then back uphill (there's a custard shop right down the street) slept for a good hour after that though. LOL
#75 of 153 Old 10-21-2005, 06:32 PM

Hi gals! I've been MIA for a bit....ong enough that some of you I don't even know by sight.

I'm 22 months post my second c/b. I am FINALLY losing that stupid pooch. I've got a lot more to work on though.

I still have lots of numbness around myy incision. THis was new after c/b 2. I've also started to lose the scar tissue feel. I'm doing massage and oils that seem to be helping.

I hope everyone is well!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#76 of 153 Old 10-21-2005, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_our_family
I'm 22 months post my second c/b. I am FINALLY losing that stupid pooch. I've got a lot more to work on though.
!

How did you do that? I need those exercises!!!!

Chantal
#77 of 153 Old 10-21-2005, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I also got the sharp pains. They would be on either end of my incision, and feel like someone was stabbing me there. It would be on one side for a few moments....then the next time it would be on the other side. It finally did go away, within a month I think.

#78 of 153 Old 10-21-2005, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_our_family

Yes! Please let us all know how to loose the pooch....aka shelf belly! :LOL

#79 of 153 Old 10-21-2005, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Well, I can tell you that 4-5 days a week at the gym and TONS of ab work have NOT helped. :

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#80 of 153 Old 10-21-2005, 11:50 PM

I've been having a lot of new pain around my (internal) incision site lately; it seems to me to have coincided with a sudden growth spurt on the part of the NewBean. I also took a good look at my scar in the mirror the other day. It's practically invisible! It totally amazed me that something so difficult to see could be sooo itchy. :LOL Today it was rainy and I could *feel* my scar all day, even though it's difficult to see. I should take a picture while I'm down here, it's difficult to explain.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#81 of 153 Old 10-22-2005, 12:03 PM

Quote:

i thought i was the only one who said that!! :LOL
#82 of 153 Old 10-22-2005, 12:09 PM

ok ladies, i finally have to make the decision to fight for a vbac or schedule a c-section. we were thinking of having a third and now we are! im hoping to be able to have a vbac, but not sure if that's a possibility. im a good candidate, have had a vaginal birth w/ my first and my c-sec. was due to the cord being around her neck twice causing her to drop with each ctxn. not anything anatomical...so : that i'll be able to!!
#83 of 153 Old 10-22-2005, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Kelly - Congratulations! I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy! Good luck on your decisions for birthing, I hope you are happy with whatever type of birth you decide on.

#84 of 153 Old 10-22-2005, 12:37 PM

bensmommy thank you so much...i know i have a long time to think it over, but its too hard to just not think about it...but i don't want to ruminate over it for 9 mos...kwim?
#85 of 153 Old 10-22-2005, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
Today it was rainy and I could *feel* my scar all day, even though it's difficult to see. I should take a picture while I'm down here, it's difficult to explain.
I had the bad weather itch for about four years with my first one. My second and third haven't done that at all...so far. But, my third one is only three months old, and it's still quite numb.

I was overweight before I got pregnant, so I'm not sure what belly you ladies are talking about. But, I think mine is shaped differently, so maybe I'm on the same page, after all...

#86 of 153 Old 10-22-2005, 06:39 PM

HOW DID I DO IT??

Taebo. That and a yeast cleanse. I'm on week 5 and have lost 22 pounds. But I really think it was the taebo that got rid of the flap. It is slowly shrinking from an all over skin overhang to just a little smile.

We'll see what happens when it is just skin and no fat. I've planned a tummy tuck since my first c/b. But it looks good now so maybe I won't have to have one

Oh, and I just saw a pic of Britney Spears post c/b.....um....never seen a post c/b belly look like that unless they did a tuck at the same time.

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#87 of 153 Old 10-22-2005, 06:50 PM

I'm sorry to jump in here, when I don't participate in this support thread regularly. But a few months ago while reading one of monthly c-section support threads I saw someone mention something about asking for stitches vs. staples. My first c-section was stitches, and I had a pretty flawless recovery. My second was staples, and I was miserable. As my c-section date draws nearer (Jan. 5 at last discussion) I've been thinking about asking my OB for stitches this time but wondered if there are any articles or anything about this issue I could use to show her?
#88 of 153 Old 10-22-2005, 08:01 PM

I had staples the first time and my recovery was pretty good.. I had stitches the second and my recovery was pretty similar. I think it has to do with the skill of the Dr and the individual. The ICAN website might have the studies you are looking for.

Chantal
#89 of 153 Old 10-22-2005, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chantald
I had staples the first time and my recovery was pretty good.. I had stitches the second and my recovery was pretty similar. I think it has to do with the skill of the Dr and the individual. The ICAN website might have the studies you are looking for.

Chantal
Mine was the opposite: stitches first and staples second, but both my recoveries were similar. I agree I think the skill of the surgeon and some degree of luck regarding infection, etc.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#90 of 153 Old 10-23-2005, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gethane
I'm sorry to jump in here, when I don't participate in this support thread regularly. But a few months ago while reading one of monthly c-section support threads I saw someone mention something about asking for stitches vs. staples. My first c-section was stitches, and I had a pretty flawless recovery. My second was staples, and I was miserable. As my c-section date draws nearer (Jan. 5 at last discussion) I've been thinking about asking my OB for stitches this time but wondered if there are any articles or anything about this issue I could use to show her?
Ask her if she was being sectioned which she would prefer. If she tells you staples, ask her why. I've not had one female doctor, and all of mine have been females, say they would prefer staples.
There is a slight infection rate increase with sutures but the plusses, including vanity ones, were worth the risk to me. I've been sutured twice and if we go for another baby (which I am strongly considering) I'll do it again.

Kim

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page