is it delivery? ...or is it birth? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: is it delivery or birth?
birth 141 99.30%
delivery 1 0.70%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 73 Old 11-03-2005, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you prefer the verb birth or delivery, to use when talking about babies being born?

Years ago, when I first started using the word birth, it sounded a little strange to say, "I birthed a baby," but now I can't imagine using deliver to describe the act of a baby being born.

I think delivery diminishes the roles of the true stars of the birth (vaginal or trans-abdominal): mom and baby. Delivery seems distanced, removed...like "birth canal." (uh, it's a vagina--unless I'm having a discussion with my in-laws!)

I also prefer the term "c-section birth" rather than "c-section delivery." "My baby was born via c-section" or "I had a c-section birth" sound different than "It was a cesarean delivery."
#2 of 73 Old 11-03-2005, 09:10 PM

I prefer the term birth because pizzas are "delivered", not babies.

Noelia- mama to 4
#3 of 73 Old 11-03-2005, 09:24 PM

I prefer the term birth, but I don't think of my sections as births - not at all.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#4 of 73 Old 11-03-2005, 09:31 PM

I perfer birth though it does sound funny in the sentance "I birthed my baby". To be delivery sounds more medical, and birth sounds more emotional.
#5 of 73 Old 11-03-2005, 09:34 PM

Thanks for writing this cause i was saying delivered but after reading this and giving it some thought, I am going to now say birthed! It sounds like "delivered" is something done to you or for you, "birthed" is something you do.

Kaitlin
#6 of 73 Old 11-03-2005, 10:22 PM

It bugs me to hear people call it "delivery" even though it's SUCH a common term for birth. It makes me think of the mindset that being pg is an illness from which you must be saved, or delivered...or that by having your baby "delivered" you are being relieved of something that was wrong. I'm quite sure that many, many people who use the term aren't really thinking that way, but that's just what the word puts in MY head. I give birth - I don't deliver a baby nor am delivered of my baby.
#7 of 73 Old 11-03-2005, 10:43 PM

Birth!

Delivery gives me the willies.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#8 of 73 Old 11-03-2005, 11:33 PM

Birth. If anyone "delivers" the baby anyway it is the mother. Others might catch the baby, but isn't it really the woman who is doing all the work? I like the point about pizza, too

chicken3.gif Christian SAHM to DS 3/04, DS 1/06, and DD 1/09 and expecting a new little one in May 2012 selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif 

#9 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I voted birth since it is such a very unique experience.

Nothing in the world like it at all.

When I had my first baby, I was given a EDC, "expected day of confinement" - to a bed, I assume, but it still sounds like a prison.

By the time I had my fourth baby, I was given a EDD, "expected day of delivery" - like the postman was coming or something......

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#10 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 02:04 AM

Yep I'm with the team, delivery is done by couriers not mothers and definitely NOT doctors.

Quote:
I also prefer the term "c-section birth" rather than "c-section delivery." "My baby was born via c-section" or "I had a c-section birth" sound different than "It was a cesarean delivery."
In Australia the medical mob refer call it "vaginal delivery" but "caesarean birth". Go figure...
#11 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetF
In Australia the medical mob refer call it "vaginal delivery" but "caesarean birth". Go figure...
Sugar coating...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#12 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 02:19 AM

I can't stand the term "delivered"! That's gotta be one of my biggest pet peeves. This includes the always asked question, "Who delivered (or who will deliver) your baby?". Ugh!!! I'm like, *I* gave birth to my baby, so-and-so attended the birth. And yes, I totally use the term, "I birthed my baby." My mom tends to roll her eyes when I say things like that. She thinks I'm weird.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#13 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice

By the time I had my fourth baby, I was given a EDD, "expected day of delivery" - like the postman was coming or something......
Heh. I always thought EDD stood for "estimated due date". I like my version better.
#14 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 02:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I remember, during my last pg, joking about all the free midwifery services offered by the local delis restaurants- hey, they were all advertizing "free home delivery."

It's birth. Do we celebrate birthdays or deliverydays?

happy deliveryday to you
happy deliveryday to you,
happy delivery day to whoever,
happy deliveryday to you.

I don't know, it just doesn't seem to have the same ring to it!

ETA: I thought "EDD" stood for "estimated due date" which I guess makes it sound like the baby is a library book or something- do you pay fines to your uterus if you go past 40 weeks?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#15 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
O.K., but I am only parroting what I was told..., I do like "estimated due date" better.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#16 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 05:30 AM

Definetely birth, I can stand the word delivery for giving birth. ANIKO
#17 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 12:01 PM

It is always birth to me, as semantics is extremely important in midwifery and childbearing. How we get our messages across can mean the difference between happy fulfilling births and major abdominal surgery, which, btw, is how I refer to Cesareans. Also as cesarean Operations...just so people wont think of it as birth....Remember Pound Puppies? I think that was a brilliant marketing tool for surgeons....
#18 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 12:04 PM

Definitely birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyshoes
My daughter was born by cesarean. Hers was a birth that involved surgery. Born/birth must always come first. It's the same way that we know not to say "blind boy", we say "boy who is blind." It's about accentuating the truly important part - the birth and the boy!

Great poll question!
#19 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathicog
It is always birth to me, as semantics is extremely important in midwifery and childbearing. How we get our messages across can mean the difference between happy fulfilling births and major abdominal surgery, which, btw, is how I refer to Cesareans. Also as cesarean Operations...just so people wont think of it as birth....Remember Pound Puppies? I think that was a brilliant marketing tool for surgeons....
hmmmmm interesting...a cesarian operation. My only worry would be that such a term would make c-section mamas : .

Sometimes, if I'm really mad about a friends cruddy vaginal birth in a hospital, I'll say she was delivered, 'cause that's how I'd describe injustice that was done to her To steal a birth is to deliver, hunh?

Please explain more about the Pound Puppies...I don't remember what made them a marketing tool...
#20 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink
Definitely birth!

My daughter was born by cesarean. Hers was a birth that involved surgery. Born/birth must always come first. It's the same way that we know not to say "blind boy", we say "boy who is blind." It's about accentuating the truly important part - the birth and the boy!

Great poll question!
oh yeah! Good point!

So what about "born by cesarian operation?" would that irk you, or be an accurate description for the enormity of abdominal surgery (I am pro-homebirth, not anti-c-sec....and I am definitly anti the prevailing attitude that a c-sec is "no big deal" because it's common nowadays. IT'S abdominal surgery!!! that's huge! owie!!!!!)
#21 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 12:13 PM

I usually say "I delivered" when talking about my own role in the birth, but when talking about my midwives, I refer to them as assisting the birth, or helping me deliver.
#22 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 12:25 PM

"Born by cesarean operation" is fine - it is what it is.

I also hate the phrase "cesarean moms" or the like. Again - I'm a mom who happened to give birth surgically.
#23 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danav
It makes me think of the mindset that being pg is an illness from which you must be saved, or delivered...or that by having your baby "delivered" you are being relieved of something that was wrong. I give birth - I don't deliver a baby nor am delivered of my baby.
yep- I was getting my hair cut one day and the hairdresser and I were chatting about our babies and she asked "so who delivered him?" I just didn't know what to say, I just said "oh I gave birth at home"

I wonder when "birth" became "delivery"?
my great-grandmothers always said "birthed" (and they all birthed their babies at home) while my grandmothers use "delivered" (they had the classic early 60's knocked out, totally passive births). It almost seems like they hired the Dr. to do all the work and when they woke up the Dr. then handed them the baby- "here you go lady, congrats" not unlike pizza delivery...

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#24 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelia430
I prefer the term birth because pizzas are "delivered", not babies.
YEP!

Mom to Iris and Henry
#25 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 12:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
ETA: I thought "EDD" stood for "estimated due date" which I guess makes it sound like the baby is a library book or something- do you pay fines to your uterus if you go past 40 weeks?

I always thought it was Estimated Due Date too. As far as fines go isn't that called getting up to pee a hundred times a night at the end? I know, not exactly your uterus collecting the fine but I think the bladder has more right to it considering how squished it is by the end.

I much prefer the term birth. When I hear of delivery I think of the pizza guy.
#26 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 12:58 PM

I never really thought about it, but I would say birth over delivery. Also I think ppl that have a Ceserean Section still birthed a child & should be considered as such.
#27 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 01:10 PM

I have always found it uncomfortable to hear men talking about how they "delivered" their wives' babies. (As in, they caught them.) Or when a OB "delivers" the baby. Who delivered your baby? Oh, Dr so-and-so.

If they "delivered" the baby, that means they brought the baby to somewhere. The only ones, in my opinion, who really "deliver" the baby are Mama and God.
#28 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 01:12 PM

I read one of those horrid threads on an OB/GYN discussion board where the stupid doctor was trying to defend his anti-homebirth stance by saying "Home delivery is for pizzas"

I was thinking that was the smartest thing he said. If someone offered to "deliver" me from my baby at home, I'd kick 'em right out on their fanny. I give birth to my babies, no one "delivers" them. Some doctor or midwife may get lucky enough to "catch" but that's about it. I do all the work for nine months, go through all the labor and pushing why should the doctor get so much credit for managing to catch the baby? Please.

Kathryn
#29 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 01:18 PM

From the answers.com dictionary:

de·liv·er (dĭ-lĭv'ər)

v., -ered, -er·ing, -ers.

v.tr.
To bring or transport to the proper place or recipient; distribute: deliver groceries; deliver the mail.
To surrender (someone or something) to another; hand over: delivered the criminal to the police.
To secure (something promised or desired), as for a candidate or political party: campaign workers who delivered the ward for the mayor.
To throw or hurl: The pitcher delivered the ball.
To strike (a blow).
To express in words; declare or utter: deliver a lecture.

To give birth to: She delivered a baby boy this morning.
To assist (a woman) in giving birth: The doctor delivered her of twins.
To assist or aid in the birth of: The midwife delivered the baby.
To give forth or produce: The oil well delivered only 50 barrels a day.
To set free, as from misery, peril, or evil: deliver a captive from slavery. See synonyms at save1.

I always thought that "to deliver a baby" refered to the last part - to set free from misery (the pregnancy? baby? labor?). I always thought it was odd.
#30 of 73 Old 11-04-2005, 01:21 PM

Yup- I always say birth too. and when other mamas are talking about being 'delivered' i say-= 'oh where are you planning to birth you baby?" or 'who will be at your birth?' instead of who will deliver or where are you delivering- that is a wicked pet peeve of mine too! it annoys me terribly.
ITA ON THE PIZZA ANALOGY.
YEP- 'SO WHO IS DELIVERING YOU AND WHERE?' well that'd be dr brown on main and we know we're having a cheese and pepperoni"
great poll

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page