Did you vaginally birth a "large" baby? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 118 Old 01-01-2006, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma
My friend had 9-15 baby, posterior, with hand by the face. I'm SO impressed by what she did!
thanks. FWIW I suspect this one will be bigger.

To the OP: Please don't worry! Your body is designed to do this and it is very unlikely it will grow a baby bigger than you can birth. Remember maternal positioning makes a HUGE difference - get up and move around if you feel stuck.
#92 of 118 Old 01-01-2006, 05:44 PM

My youngest child, who is now 20 years old, was 9lbs./4oz. at birth. His was a homebirth, and by far the fastest, most intense but easiest of my three experiences. I labored actively for about 9 hours. The midwife was there for about 2 1/2 hours. I guess maybe I tore very superficially, no stitches at all.

It was really the frosting on the cake for me.

Joyce in the mts.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
#93 of 118 Old 01-01-2006, 07:36 PM

My singleton was 10.5 lbs. No drugs until I was 9.9+ cm. One VERY small tear. He was stuck under my pelvic bone coming out sunnyside up. We tried everything to get him to turn and was not able to. The epi was a last ditch attempt for me to get a rest and see if he would turn on his own. Success!!! Everyone at the delivery was taking guesses of how large he was going to be but all were at least a pound under!!!

Overall it was a WAY easier labor than the one for my 6.5 and 7lb twins (and a month early). Big babies run on my husband's side of the family.
#94 of 118 Old 01-01-2006, 08:16 PM

I vaginally birthed a large baby without tearing.

She officially weighed 8lbs9ozs but she wasn't weighed for about 8 hours after and she had passed two large stools, so my midwife estimates that she would have been 9+ pounds if they had weighed her immediately. (I had a pp hemorrage, so things got a little hectic.)

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#95 of 118 Old 01-03-2006, 08:05 AM

I guess I can now post in this thread. I haven't read the previous posts because I am exhausted and DS#2 has finally fallen back to sleep.

My first DS was 8lb 7oz, epidural birth in a hospital with ever intervention possible. I was in labor for 30+ hours before I went to the hospital with 12 hours of active labor, 9 with the epi. I was forced to push for 3 hours. His birth was physically very difficult to recover from and the pushing was so hard. I was about 5 mintues away from being sent for a c-section due to exhaustion when he was delivered with assistance from a vaccumn.

With DS#2 (12/15/05) we opted for a BC which was almost 2 hours away. I figured I would have another good sized baby with another long labor. I was right. He was 9lb 2oz. I was in labor for about 24 hours before I was admited to the BC. I was in active labor for 10 hours, with maybe an hour of pushing total. Though I don't really count a lot of the pushing because I wasn't in a good possition and it didn't feel good too push until I found that untilmate possition. So I think I really pushed good and hard (ohh it was so nice to feel the desire to push and not be in pain while pushing like with DS#1) for about 15 pushes? I had very little tearing and my recovery was wonderful in comparison.

#2 was almost a lb more than #1, but physically my body handled it much better due to no drugs and very little interventions.
#96 of 118 Old 01-03-2006, 06:21 PM

Okay, the OB with no. 1 stated it's a big baby, you may need a c/s. Such negative talk. I did have a c/s he was not turned correctly. 9lbs 9oz he was... Baby no. 2 -- oh it's a big baby, and I'm like so what I'm having a c/s. 8lbs 15oz he was 2 wks early... Baby no. 3 midwife all knowing that I was frightened of a large baby told me 7 1/2 poundsish... HA 9lbs 1oz she was...

Friends of mine, teeny tiny women they are --
1. All 3 boys over 9lbs 5 oz, boy no. 3 was 10.4, little girl no. 4 was just under 9lbs.
2. All normal 7 pounds except no. 3 who was 11.2, no. 4 was 7lbs. No idea why Jacob was sooo big
3. All 3 were over 9lbs, she is tall like me and her dh is tall.

I think position is key to big babies birthing. www.spinningbabies.com is great as is Sit up and take notice.
#97 of 118 Old 01-03-2006, 06:26 PM

I had 2 HBAC's. One was 10 lb, 4 oz. The other was 9 lb, 11 oz. I didn't tear at all at all at all. I was diligent about perineal massage with both, which I swear by. My first labor lasted almost 4 days, but it wasn't troublesome. I pushed for 2 hours and when it was over I thought it had been wonderful. Then I had dd #3. That labour was 12 hours and I pushed for 7 minutes. The midwife didn't even have a chance to apply hot compress!

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#98 of 118 Old 01-03-2006, 07:07 PM
pjs

DS #1 was 6 lbs 11 oz 5 weeks EARLY
DS #2 was 9 lbs 9 oz 2 weeks past edd

a few stitches, nothing serious

You can do it!!!
#99 of 118 Old 01-03-2006, 09:11 PM

9lbs 5oz for my first baby! Waterbirth, out of hospital, no pain meds, and only a couple of easily stiched tears. And I'm a small person.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#100 of 118 Old 01-04-2006, 12:44 AM

Our eldest was 9lb 3 (4180g) and I had a large unnecessary epi (to give the student the experince), hospital birth, brutal. Less said about it in this thread the better..
My wife birthed our second who was a 7lb-6 (3300g). Same donor as our other two but 2lbs smller than them at birth. I'm broadhipped & she's slimmer hipped, I believe women grow the right size baby for their bodies.
I birthed our third who was 9lb 5 (4250g) - completely painless, ecstatic water/home birth. One of the best experiences I've ever had. A healing wonderful, beautiful experience. No tear (even though I have a huge epi scar from 1st birth). No pushing either. I just "opened up". I tried to push once when my waters broke 10 minutes before she was born & I felt the first pain I experienced in that labour so I stopped pushing (thus the pain stopped) and concentrated on expanding instead. It was awesome & amazing. I'd do that birth again anyday.
She didn't have much moulding either, very round headed.
37cm head circ.
You don't necessarily need to push.
#101 of 118 Old 01-07-2006, 12:50 AM

DS#1 was 7 pounds 13 ounces - pushed for 5 hours
DS#2 was 9 pounds 4 ounces - pushed for 1 1/2

Ava Anderson Non-Toxic Consultant
non-toxic, cruelty free, vegan skin care and make up
#102 of 118 Old 01-07-2006, 12:53 AM

DS was 9lbs & I'm very small person (5 ft 100 lbs)His birth was a million times easier than DD'swho was 8 1/2 lbs.

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
#103 of 118 Old 01-10-2006, 01:45 AM

Naturally birthed a 10.1oz boy. My first was 9.3oz
#104 of 118 Old 01-10-2006, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsba
I believe women grow the right size baby for their bodies.
I birthed our third who was 9lb 5 .
I'm a bit sensitive to this line of thinking. I pretty much thought that, too. while I opted for a hospital birth, I did all the Yoga, the research, the preparing, etc for a natural birth. My daughter, 9 lbs, 5 oz, and I experienced an EIGHT minute shoulder dystocia. A "true" shoulder dystocia. My own sister was my nurse and she is straight with me (her personal philosophy is that natural is better...give baby time.). She told me that there was nothing that could have prevented what happened EXCEPT a differently built baby. We nearly lost my daughter, the staff in the room (and a Code Blue brings lots of staff) expected her to die in the birth canal. I saw one of those Baby Story shows about a four minute dystocia. They were talking about how the baby may have severe brain damage, etc... I mentioned to my mom and sister that I didn't understand, that no one ever mentioned that to me and my dystocia was much longer. They looked dumbstruck. Apparently no one mentioned any of that because they were amazed that she was alive. My second child, 10 lbs 5 oz, was born by scheduled c section. The 16 months between their births was fraught with periods of feelings of failure and disgust with myself. I was ashamed to be scheduling the c section. I just realize, though, as I type this, that I'm over it.

All that said I would never suggest to anyone that they should not birth a suspected large or macrosomic baby vaginally. True dystocias, not just a sticky shoulder or long labor, are quite rare. But, I'm still in the same body and my children were both fathered by my husband. I get as irritated as anyone with first time mothers who are encouraged to have a surgical birth for large babies. Most mamas can have big babies. It just stings a little when I hear that moms grow only babies that they can birth. Sometimes that is not the case.

And, I'll give you my standard joke about the situation "I used to think that I was big boned, turns out, I'm just fat."
#105 of 118 Old 01-10-2006, 08:29 PM

I am about 110 lbs not pregnant and 5'5. My son, my first and only baby, was 9lbs 1 oz. His weight shocked the midwives because they just really didn't suspect he was that big.

No tears or cuts, long labor, shoulder dystocia (but my midwife did a wonderful job handelling it. NICU was called, but he was fine). I only pushed for an hour.

I don't think I would have been able to birth a baby bigger than him when it comes to the shoulders, but he made it out okay. I was 4 days overdue and would hope if I had another child that I would go before my due date. The shoulder dystocia part of my labor really traumatized me. I just remember the fear that he wouldn't live. I don't want to ever go through that again. He was only stuck about two minutes, but it felt like an eternity. I am not sure that I would sign up for a c-section, but I wouldn't want to deliver another 9+ baby vaginally.

Bethany -- Mom to Liam 2/12/05
#106 of 118 Old 01-11-2006, 12:35 AM

i am about 5'5" to 5'6" and was about 106 before getting pg with my first and about 130 when i got pg with my 3rd.
they were,
6 lbs 8 oz,
7 lbs 15 oz,
9 lbs 5 oz!
In that order.
My largest was the only one born without me being cut, although I did tear a little but not where my scars are, in the front.
I will have to be honest though, my labor and delivery were much longer and harder with the largest one and I could tell it was due to size making it more difficult to get her into position. But it can be done!!
Good luck Mama!!!!

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#107 of 118 Old 01-12-2006, 12:12 AM

My first daughter was 8 pounds 2 ounces, and was a beautiful vaginal birth without any tearing, stitches, etc.

My second daughter was 9 pounds 6 ounces and was birthed vaginally, with no medications (pain or otherwise), and it was the most amazing experience of my life.

Jennifer
#108 of 118 Old 01-12-2006, 12:28 AM

My dd was pretty small, so I don't have any personal experience to offer. But the birth center where I'm planning to deliver #2 had a mama a few weeks ago give birth vaginally in water to an 11 lb baby! I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think she tore either. M/W said she used hands and knees and squating positions most often and delivered on hands and knees. It's so amazing what we women can do when we put our minds to it!
#109 of 118 Old 01-22-2006, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Hello! OP here! My son was born this week and I wanted to let everyone know that he was (and still is) a big, healthy boy. DS was born:

January 17th
at home
10 pounds 5 oz
22 inches long
14 inch head
14.5 inch chest

apgars of 9 then 10

The labor up until the last hour was pretty "easy" and the last hour was painful and quick beyond belief. But, he is here and healthy and happy and so am I. AND, despite his size, I only had one superficial tear that didn't need a stitch.

My midwives were amazed at his size, but I wasn't surprised at all.

Thanks for all of your wonderful messages the last couple of months!

Momalea
#110 of 118 Old 01-22-2006, 10:34 PM

My first was 8 days "early" and was 8 lbs. 14 oz. My 2nd was 1 day "late," and was 7 lbs. 7 ounces. And I was my mom's first, 9 lbs. 7 ounces, my sister was full term and was 7 lbs 4 ounces. So the next ones aren't always bigger. BUT if they are--you can do it!!!
#111 of 118 Old 01-22-2006, 10:42 PM

Congrats!!!
#112 of 118 Old 01-22-2006, 10:43 PM

Congrats, mama... my last was 12.8 at home and my midwives were also amazed at her size- though I can say I was as well. lol. Welcome to your big baby.. and GOOD JOB, mama
#113 of 118 Old 01-22-2006, 10:46 PM

Congratulations! Sounds like you did an awesome job!!!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#114 of 118 Old 01-23-2006, 12:47 PM

Congratulations!

thank you for the update Momalea and for your impressive homebirth stats.
#115 of 118 Old 01-23-2006, 09:34 PM

Wow, Momalea, that is SO interesting that you "knew" you were going to have a 10 pound baby & that's what happened. A woman's intuition is powerful stuff!!! Congratulations!!!

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. I'm pg w/ #1 & my hubby was a 10 pounder & is 6'4". It's interesting listening to his mum talk about the births of him & his older brother. His older bro was "only" 8 lbs, but was forceps & hubby was 10 & just slipped out. His mum's convinced that it had more to do w/ different doctor & different hospital than anything she did.
#116 of 118 Old 01-23-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingfamily
I'm a bit sensitive to this line of thinking. I pretty much thought that, too. while I opted for a hospital birth, I did all the Yoga, the research, the preparing, etc for a natural birth. My daughter, 9 lbs, 5 oz, and I experienced an EIGHT minute shoulder dystocia. A "true" shoulder dystocia. My own sister was my nurse and she is straight with me (her personal philosophy is that natural is better...give baby time.). She told me that there was nothing that could have prevented what happened EXCEPT a differently built baby. We nearly lost my daughter, the staff in the room (and a Code Blue brings lots of staff) expected her to die in the birth canal. I saw one of those Baby Story shows about a four minute dystocia. They were talking about how the baby may have severe brain damage, etc... I mentioned to my mom and sister that I didn't understand, that no one ever mentioned that to me and my dystocia was much longer. They looked dumbstruck. Apparently no one mentioned any of that because they were amazed that she was alive. My second child, 10 lbs 5 oz, was born by scheduled c section. The 16 months between their births was fraught with periods of feelings of failure and disgust with myself. I was ashamed to be scheduling the c section. I just realize, though, as I type this, that I'm over it.
What a scary, traunatic thing for you & your family. Wow. Do you mind me asking what position you were in when you were pushing your daughter out?

Blessings to you.
#117 of 118 Old 02-06-2006, 09:40 AM

I had a 8lb 9oz baby and I thought that was big lol...she was easy to get out and only had like a skin tear...
#118 of 118 Old 02-06-2006, 01:55 PM

Hi, a friend of mine had her ds about 1 week after my dd. He was way over 8 lbs, and she was 6 lbs. We lay them on the floor side by side, and their bodies were the SAME SIZE. His head was HUGE, and made all the weight! He didn't grow into his head until he was 3 or 4 ....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page