How did you 'come' to natural birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-05-2005, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was never one to imagine my future husband and children before the fact. So when I became pregnant it never occured to me to imagine the kind of birth I wanted. Luckily, one of my best friend's sisters (who I had never met) sent me some back issues of Mothering and a few other crunchy birthing books within my first trimester. Although I still have never met this woman, she has meant so much to me. It feels so right to me now, natural birth, I'm almost positive I would have turned to it somewhere along the line, but really, who knows...I might not have.

So, did you always know you wanted a natural birth? Did you find out about it only after a traumatic experience? Did the Mothering magazine have much to do with it or was it the influence of a friend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2005, 01:39 AM

For me it was just instinct. I have always hated taking pharmaceuticals, OTC or otherwise, even as a child. I'd suffer with a bad headache instead of taking a Tylenol. As a child, I eschewed chocolate chip cookies and chose apples instead.

I became a chiropractor because chiropractic is based on the fact that the body is a self-healing, self-regulating organism. I believe and always have that the body knows what it is doing as long as it is kept free of interference.

So, natural birth was the only way to go for me.

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
Old 12-05-2005, 01:46 AM

I've wondered about what makes some people look for natural birth and others not often, myself!

I started researching different aspects of pregnancy and birth before I was ever pregnant (or even ttc - this turned out to be a good thing when my timetable was turned on end and I got pregnant a bit earlier than planned!). I've always been a little suspicious of what 'everyone else' was doing, so I suppose I gravitated towards the minority view.

Once I started really doing my research, what convinced me for me personally was the impact the drugs could have on the mother and baby both. I have low blood pressure anyway, and learning that an epidural lowers blood pressure really 'sealed' it in my mind.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
Old 12-05-2005, 02:13 AM

I waited years for my DP to be ready to welcome a child into our lives; when she told me that she was "ready" I started meticulously researching various things about pregnancy, childbirth, vaccinations, etc. What I found turned me completely off the whole hospital birth thing, medicated birth, etc. What I found was a better understanding of my previous beliefs that pregnancy and birth are natural things and a woman does not need to be told what she already knows about her own body. . .
-Susannah

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
Old 12-05-2005, 02:18 AM

I got interested in midwifery from Naomi Wolf's Misconceptions, then read Spiritual Midwifery. After reading all the amazing biirth stories, I knew I could be one of those women, and I wanted to be one of those women so badly, to have an amazing, powerful experience that few women chose to have in our society. I wanted to be special, not one of the herd of hospital birthers. It was all "downhill" from there, and I had a homebirth for my first six months ago.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:33 AM

I was mildly crunchy and, most of all, wanted to do everything I possibly could to breastfeed successfully. Staying away from patriarchal medicine appealed to me, and then I found out that I could start seeing a midwife for my well-woman care, not just pregnancy and birth.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:36 AM

Mine was pure stubborness. I had so much taken from me through sexual trauma as a child that I decided that I needed to allow my body to perform as it's designed to, without interference. Just to prove that I could. To me. With my first birth, I allowed others to take control for me by giving in just to get them to shut up. Big mistake, good thing about mistakes: I rarely make the same one twice. My next was born at home. This one will be born at home.

I am not afraid of birth, my body or the pain. I am terrified about being in a place where I am unable to control what is done to me.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I grew up around natural birth. My mom studied to be a midwife, had a homebirth, had natural birth books around. So to me, it was normal. I chose a MW to deliver my first baby. Nevertheless, I still succumbed to the dominant birth culture in this country and doubted that I could give birth without an epidural, so my first was born in a hospital.

Really, what changed my mind about medicated vs. unmedicated birth was this forum. I read it daily after having my first and all throughout my pregnancy with my second. Talking to actual people who could answer my questions really helped.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:14 AM

In 1976 I was working in a calif. health food store where I read a copy of spiritual midwifery.I knew from that point on I would be at home to give birth.My first two were born at home in '77 and '81 but then we moved and it was impossible to find a hb midwife for the next 3.Hs birth was a pain and i always left soon afterward ama.I finally stayed home with my last in '04.Wouldn't trade the experience for anything!
Old 12-05-2005, 10:36 AM

<----mom's a midwife!

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

Old 12-05-2005, 11:26 AM

I just thought that was how it was done. My family came from the farm. I never saw a cow or a barn cat get an epidural.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
For me it was just the right thing to do. My feelings get hurt if I have to take Tylenol for the headache that won't go away. And then the whole "needle near the spine" thing, I'll manage without out that fear, thank you.

Bonus, all this natural child birthing is better for the baby too!
Old 12-05-2005, 03:16 PM

I read an article about midwives in Canadian Living magazine years before I thought of having children - I knew right away that a midwife was the way to go for me. The thought of med free birth scared me but an epidural scared me more. When people tell me how they couldn't birth without meds I reply that I probably couldn't either if I had a doctor in a hospital instead of a midwife at home - midwives are priceless in my experience. After being present for my first homebirth my SIL has since gone on to have 3 beautiful homebirths herself so I feel like I have had a small but significant positive impact in the world. I can only hope that my daughters remember the wonderful homebirth of their brother last month and carry that memory when/if they have children of their own.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:09 PM

I guess I'm a minority here. I did learn about natural birth after a traumatic experience. I had two episiotomies against my will and did NOT want to get cut again.

I truly hope that my daughters will be like the women who were never exposed to anything else. I'm constantly reinforcing to them that I saw a midwife for pre-natal and birth and not an OB and that mothers don't need to go to hospitals to have babies.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:45 PM

i chose natural birth because i'm afraid of hospitals and not comfortable with male doctors. i had a terrible colposcopy experience with one of the OBs at the hospital i was going to deliver at and decided that it was not for me. when i started researching it and found out how much safer it is for babies it sealed the deal.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:00 PM

What a great question!

I chose a natural birth because I believe pregnancy is a natural part of life, not a medical condition. I read somewhere that a midwife is trained to view pregnancy and birth as 'natural' and 'normal' unless proven otherwise, whereas a doctor is trained to see 'problems' and 'treatments'. So it made complete sense to me to have a natural birth and, then, if there were problems I could seek medical help. I have this view for most everything life; treat holistically, take care of yourself, give it time, and then, if absolutely necessary, seek help.

I also noticed that while the medical world is getting better with epidurals and such, either women had them and loved them, or the experience was so bad they wrote a book on it to let other women know. I guess I just figured my body would know how to do this and I should trust it.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Fear of needles. : I have a phobia of needles and didn't want one in my hand, much less in my spine.

Now I know about the other benefits of natural birth as well, but when I was planning on DS' birth it was just the knowledge that I did not want a needle in me.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 12-05-2005, 10:00 PM

Mine is actually a strange story...

I always had a fear of birth to the point where I didn't know if I wanted children. I was in China leading a group of exchange students when I realized I was pregnant. My name in Chinese meant "purple butterfly". I started having really vivid dreams about having a baby underwater. I had never heard about waterbirth or anything. When I got home (over a month later) I googled "water + birth" just for the heck of it. That's when I discovered that waterbirths even existed. The first two hits were for Waterbirth International and a waterbirth center - both within 30 minutes from my house!!! The top of the birth center's homepage was a purple butterfly. I have this strange protective connection with butterflies, so I felt instantly drawn to it. I immediately scheduled a visit and felt so wonderful at the birth center that I chose to give birth there. I then realized that I didn't have a fear of BIRTH, but a distaste for hospital births.

I ended up having a gloriously easy 2 1/2 hour waterbirth and am excited for our upcoming home waterbirth!
Old 12-05-2005, 10:21 PM

Cool story mariposita I saw my dog give birth and it was just so instinctual and natural, I knew that I had that in me too. I had two wonderful natural non invasive birhts

darkstar
Old 12-06-2005, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
When I was in nursing school, one of my professors was a CNM who strongly believed in low intervention birth, didn't believe in homebirth though. From that part on I knew I would have a low intervention birth.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:28 AM

It never occurred to me to birth any other way. My mom and sister and other family members birth naturally. I had a friend in school who had a baby her sophmore year, born naturally (gave him up for adoption though) I watched her birth video and cried at it. Another friend had a baby her senior year, naturally. These were teens, you know, people who society pins as weak and vulnerable and they have a high rate of drugged births. I'd never given more than one second of thought to a non-natural birth until I took a childbirth calss during my first pregnancy. There I was, 18 (looked 13), and of the 12 couples in the room, I was the most adament about wanting a natural birth. These women, twice my age, frowned at me and looked at me like I was stupid and gave me the "wait til you get there!" looks. Even after hearing the teacher's schpiel about drugs, I still never wanted any part of that. Babies were meant to come out of our yonis without any help from anybody! My husband? He never imagined babies coming out of drugged mothers either. I really lucked out with him because it wasn't something we talked about and the pregnancy was a surprise (you can't plan miracles, right!?!!) To him, babies are born naturally and put to breast. I felt the same way. I just never thought there was any other way. Now I've had two beautiful natural births and will have another one here in about 4.5 weeks (Yikes!). I'm looking forward to it

Namaste, Tara
Old 12-06-2005, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStar
How did you 'come' to natural birth?

Through my mother's vagina of course!

Like many of the other posters, I had a natural birthing, babywearing, breastfeeding mother, so it just seemed obvious. I'm so lucky!

Love you mom!
Old 12-06-2005, 06:49 AM

My mum's advice was "Take all the drugs and do what the nice doctor says." It can only be upwards from there

I read about home birth in a Sheila Kitzinger book in my early 20s and thought, "Hey! That makes sense!" Once pregnant (at 34) I started researching again and things have only gotten worse so I knew for sure it was the right decision. Naively, I thought everyone researched major life decisions like that... I've seen women put more effort into researching a pram than a birth. Makes me very sad for those babies. Having known the trauma of hospital "birth" now I'm only more cemented in my view - oddly enough the research backs me LOL.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:03 AM

When I got pregnant with my first baby I had never given the subject of childbirth much thought. I wanted to read up about it and by coincidence I borrowed the book "Birth Reborn" by Dr. Michel Odent from the library.
Reading the book I realised how it all rang so very true to me, and I knew right away that that was the kind of birth I wanted.

So I had a go with my son, but eventually ended up with an epidural anyway - though after a very long (44 hours) labor that stalled completely around 8 cms dilation. I got pitocin and an epi.
This experience more than anything confirmed to me that I wanted my next birth to be natural and it also showed me how that was clearly unlikely in a hospital setting - even though my midwife was "pro-natural". I simply could not birth in an unfamiliar setting. And that lead me on to a homebirth as the next obvious step.
My daughter was born at home four months ago after a 90 minute labor!

Inca

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

Old 12-06-2005, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
In a very non-traditional, roundabout way.

5 years ago - High-pressure job, didn't want kids, thought breastfeeding was gross, never heard of unmedicated delivery.

3 years ago - got a different job, bored one day joined a very mainstream newlywed message board. A couple of "rebel" mamas posted about cloth diapering. I was intrigued. I knew I wanted to CD, then started to read about breastfeeding, non-vaxing, unmedicated childbirth, etc.

Almost 2 years ago - Gave birth to my daughter, in a hospital, naturally. No interventions.

Next babe will be born in a free standing birth center or at home, attended by a midwife.

So really, getting hooked on CDing lead me to other natural ways of parenting, and the rest is history!
Old 12-06-2005, 02:20 PM

I actually credit my horrible OB who helped totally uneducated me have a c/s. The only reason I planned on not having an epidural was b/c "I could tough it out" or something like that. "Epidurals are for sissies" was my thinking back then. I'm much less judgmental now. I did end up w/ an epi after they turn my pit all the way up.

I was determined - no, dead set - on having a VBAC w/ my 2nd baby. I read The Birth Book and realized I would have to go au naturel to give me the best chance of acheiving my VBAC. I almost gave in to the epi, but thankfully I was in transition by the time they got around to it. I was elated to have my VBAC, but I didn't like how it was so managed at 2nd stage. My baby wanted out, but the Dr wasn't there. They wanted me to hold her in. She finally powered her way out, leaving me w/ a pretty bad tear.

I had planned to have my 3rd baby at a BC after my successful VBAC. I actually would have had my 2nd in a BC, but I was soooo affraid that my body wouldn't work, so I wanted to be where I could just get another c/s. After checking out a Homebirth book from the library on a whim - I had to know what the big deal was - I decided that I didn't need to go anywhere during labor. Home would be just as safe, but more comfortable, than a BC. The decision was made.

I almost had my 1st baby in the BC b/c I almost didn't have insurance and it would have been more affordable to use the BC out-of-pocket. If I would have had my baby there, I probably would have had a nice, natural birth, but I feel I wouldn't have poured my heart and soul into natural birth, VBAC, etc and wouldn't be aspiring to make it my life's work. I have come to terms w/ my c/s. It is what has gotten me to this point.

ETA: My aunt went trough cancer and used every Homeopathic remedy available. She kept us very involved in all of it, and I was totally captivated by it all. I became much more interested in how all the body systems work together and in true health and diet, in general. It has filtered into my parenting and how I view life. I am much more naturally minded in everything, now. It's been a challenge putting all of it into practice, but I'm trying.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatarax
Another friend had a baby her senior year, naturally. These were teens, you know, people who society pins as weak and vulnerable and they have a high rate of drugged births.
Crunchy, homebirthin' teen mama here! Woot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonscricket
Through my mother's vagina of course!
: truetrue.

Kewpie, very inspiring story

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

Old 12-06-2005, 05:14 PM

My mom had my two sisters and I naturally, and had my middle sister at home with a midwife. So I kind of grew up thinking all of that was normal. In high school, I wrote a paper about the hippie movement, and I had to reserach communes. I learned about The Farm, and of course, about Ina May Gaskin, and thought that was way cool, even though at that time I planned to not ever have children.

In college, I had some older, crunchy friends that started having children, and they used midwives, breastfed, and all of that. I thought that if I ever did have children, that's how I want to do it. And here I am, planning my first birth with midwives at their beautiful, homey bith center, and reading Mothering .
Old 12-06-2005, 06:31 PM

I'd always assumed I'd have a natural birth. With ds1, my FP was quite "hands off", and I was considered a very low risk pregnancy. I was planning to go to the hospital once contractions were 5 minutes apart, but I wasn't planning any pain relief or anything. Everything went great, until ds1 flipped during labour. When I arrived at the hospital, I was almost fully dilated, and wound up having an "emergency" c-section for breech.

That put me in the "high risk" category, which involved a referral to an OB. My FP took care of most of my prenatal care, and I intended to VBAC at home, with my OB's full support. DD also flipped towards the end (single footling...she looked like she was dancing a jig), and I ended up with another section.

My VBA2C didn't pan out, either...ds2 stayed head down, but I was "overdue" (41w, 5d) and the OB threatened to withdraw and I panicked and caved.

So....I've always been pro natural birth, but haven't had one. If I have my last baby (always wanted four), it's going to be a HBA3C. I've had enough of needles in my spine and scalpels.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 12-06-2005, 08:50 PM

I have loved babies since I was a little girl and I always loved to read baby magazines. When I was in high school I came across an issue of Mothering at the bookstore and it totally changed the way I thought about everything birth and baby. I decided I wanted a homebirth with a midwife for my future babies then. I got my hands on a copy of Spiritual Midwifery after that and it only made up my mind further!

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

User Tag List