Talk to me about placentas... - Mothering Forums
Birth and Beyond > Talk to me about placentas...
NYCVeg's Avatar NYCVeg 08:14 PM 12-07-2005
Can someone give me a crash course on the benefits of eating/sucking on/capsulizing a piece of the placenta? How much/little do you have to consume to get benefits?

I'm also curious if any vegetarians have done this. I have quite a lot of experience with placentas*, believe it or not, and they are VERY meaty. Since meat hasn't crossed my lips in 15+ years, I'm wondering if I could stomach eating a piece. I'm not at all squeamish about my own bodily output, though (menstrual blood, vaginal discharge, whatever).

*In high school, I worked in a lab researching the transmission of labor drugs across the placenta--we used to get steaming hot placentas from L&D! On my first day, my assignment was actually: "Here, play with this placenta and get to know what it's like."

Viriditas's Avatar Viriditas 09:55 PM 12-07-2005
Hi!

I gave birth 13 days ago and ate my placenta! My wonderful, wonderful dh prepared it for me. He gave me 2 small pieces to eat and then blended the rest with a whole bunch of fresh squeezed orange juice. He said he removed as much of the maternal side as he could, but it didn't seem to be as much of it as I thought there would. We saved the non-consumable bits to bury either in our vegetable garden or under a special plant.

I've been a vegetarian for 10 years and a vegan for 2. I can't say that eating the placenta was a problem for me in this respect. It just didn't seem like eating meat to me. The pieces I ate plain were soft and slippery and just had a mild metallic taste, like blood (well, obviously, I guess). I did gag just a little on the second piece. I really, really recommend the orange juice option though! It just tasted like pink, slightly foamy orange juice. I couldn't even really tell the placenta was in there. Maybe when it comes out of your own body you'll be less inclined to see it as meat?

Anyway, I really have nothing to compare it to as this was my first birth, but the dizziness and unsteadiness I felt right before I had the placenta were completely gone right afterwards. I've had a very light lochia from the beginning. No sign of PPD. My milk came in almost exactly 48 hours after the placenta was born. Not sure if any of this is due to the placenta consumption, but I'm glad I did it!

Good luck!
sapphire_chan's Avatar sapphire_chan 01:31 AM 12-09-2005
I figure it'll be somewhat instinctual. But as the ladies in the UC board told me "step away from the placenta pictures". I plan to get my dh or midwife to prepare it for me when the time comes.

Off topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg
On my first day, my assignment was actually: "Here, play with this placenta and get to know what it's like."
Before or after you went veggie? (Making a huge assumption from your username, so feel free to tell me I'm silly.)
NYCVeg's Avatar NYCVeg 11:29 AM 12-09-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
I figure it'll be somewhat instinctual. But as the ladies in the UC board told me "step away from the placenta pictures". I plan to get my dh or midwife to prepare it for me when the time comes.

Off topic:

Before or after you went veggie? (Making a huge assumption from your username, so feel free to tell me I'm silly.)
Yup, I was a vegetarian at that point. Human placentas don't bother me. Actually, quite the opposite--a placenta represents birth (whereas, to me, meat reminds me of death).
Up