Silliest question you've ever been asked about pregnancy/birth - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 98 Old 01-02-2006, 03:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
But won't your uterus explode if you go into labour after having had a c-section?

<sigh>

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#62 of 98 Old 01-02-2006, 04:00 AM

Since Laralee hasn't come to this thread, I'll post it for her.
From her mother:

"Why wouldn't you want an episiotomy?"
#63 of 98 Old 01-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Zus

In the 70s, my mom used to teach childbirth classes as part of her job as a physical therapist. The crowd she used to teach was mostly middle class lutheran (conservative) without higher education. During one of her classes she was interrupted by one of the ladies with the question: "But, where is the baby supposed to come out of??"
So my mom answered: "Through the same hole as it went in".
It took the lady a few moments to process
#64 of 98 Old 01-02-2006, 11:55 AM

After a friend learned we were having a homebirth she then asked when she could come to the hospital. So I told her ahhh duh we are having a homebirth. She said she assumed that after the birth we would all then go to the hospital for the 2 day stay to get checked out and make sure everyone was okay and safe.
#65 of 98 Old 01-02-2006, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSerene
"so if the baby is born in the water, does it swim around and breathe water until you bring it to the surface?"
DH said, "You know the baby could drown if you have a waterbirth since it won't be getting any air." And it has been getting air in my womb!?!?!

My sister told me that it was just gross to not circ. my baby if it is a boy. DH and his sons aren't, I explained. She said that was just gross and how could I marry a man who wasn't~!
#66 of 98 Old 01-03-2006, 02:27 AM

From my (uneducated) friend; So when are you having the epidural this time? (I had it because of pending c section that never happened last time), she actaully told me to ask as soon as I walked in the doors, um why would I do that, I didn't want one the last time. And her comment on breastfeeding, we will have the next one weaned by three months, UM when did this become a community effort? I don't breastfeed for YOUR comfort. Makes me roll me eyes.
#67 of 98 Old 01-03-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_2_two
UM when did this become a community effort? I don't breastfeed for YOUR comfort. Makes me roll me eyes.
Ooh, this really cheeses me! My gmaIL does crap like that. SHe called Ben "My baby" and I wanted to scream every time. Like I had nothing to do with the baby. I think if she tries that with this one (ya know if she comes out of mourning over it being a boy), I'll have DH set her straight.
#68 of 98 Old 01-03-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_2_two
UM when did this become a community effort? I don't breastfeed for YOUR comfort. Makes me roll me eyes.
Ooh, this really cheeses me! My gmaIL does crap like that. SHe called Ben "My baby" and I wanted to scream every time. Like I had nothing to do with the baby. I think if she tries that with this one (ya know if she comes out of mourning over it being a boy), I'll have DH set her straight.
#69 of 98 Old 01-03-2006, 10:25 PM

When I was pregnant with #2 I went to a dinner with my husband's co-workers. Every year they have an annual awards convention somewhere. The convention was going to be about 2 weeks after I had the baby and it is definately a no-kids-allowed type thing. :-( Anyway - I am at a dinner with some of dh's co-workers and this one guy asks when I'm due, I tell him, we make the connection that it is about 2 weeks before the convention and he says "oh good - so you'll be able to go to the comvention" UUUUMMM... since at the end of pregnancy one has a baby I think the convention is not in the cards for me this year.

Bless his heart... he is probably 60 and has one son who they adopted when he was about 6 months. So the whole post-partum thing just isn't anywhere in his head. I thought it was kind of funny actually.

Kelly
#70 of 98 Old 01-03-2006, 10:35 PM

Just thought of one more. My MIL is an idiot - she is crazy (certifiably!!) and just plain stupid - one of those people who shares the opinion of whoever is she talking to at the moment. Anyway - we had 2 boys and we told her we were expecting #3. She asks in a very concerned way "Oh - what are you going to do if it's another boy???" My dh said without missing a beat "if it's a boy we're going to give it up for adoption" And for about 2 minutes she thought he was serious and she wasn;t sure what to think about that. She didn't want us to have another boy but she wasn;t sure she liked the idea of us giving the baby up for adoption.

Well we did have a beautiful perfect wonderful little boy - Oliver!! And when we told her it was a boy he was actually in the NICU for a little while (breathing issues) she said "oh that's too bad... but I'm glad you called, I really needed to talk to you. Debbie said that Louise said something that would have hurt my feelings and I'm not sure how to handle it - do you think I should approach her..." at which point dh hung up on her!!! Our baby was in the ICU and all she wanted to do was talk about herself! She still says that Oliver is a pretty boy and should have been a girl. ARGH!!!!!

Kelly
#71 of 98 Old 01-03-2006, 10:53 PM

I know all about the in law thing, lol. With my daughter (I nursed on demand and that was ALOT) I was told it was gas and forced to listen to her cry for an hour why mil tried getting the gas out, I was only 19 and let her do this after hours of harrasment, now I just go to another room, when I have to deal with it at all. I live in GA she is in NY, woohoo. Now if I could just get her to realize that my husbands kids come first, hmm.
#72 of 98 Old 01-04-2006, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie_may12
DH said, "You know the baby could drown if you have a waterbirth since it won't be getting any air." And it has been getting air in my womb!?!?!

My sister told me that it was just gross to not circ. my baby if it is a boy. DH and his sons aren't, I explained. She said that was just gross and how could I marry a man who wasn't~!
Right, because we all know it's what a person's genitals look like that matters when we get married
#73 of 98 Old 01-06-2006, 01:19 AM

Let's see here...
Was the pregnancy planned?
Do you know what causes that?
Do you have too much time on your hands?

As I was leaving house to hospital very, very much in labor (was 9cm when arrived at hospital a few minutes a way) I was asked "do you think you're having the baby?"

My dd in NICU had been okay'ed to breastfeed but nurse asked me "well do you know how" and I said yeah, and that I had successfully breastfed other dd who was also premature. Nurse looks at me skeptically and asked if anyone at hospital had taught me and then ran off to make sure if it was okay that I could try to nurse my baby. For some reason this just struck me as a stupid thing to ask "do you know how" especially after saying I had breasfed one child already. DUH!

MIL asked if two month old "just gets nursed" Yes!

Pam
#74 of 98 Old 01-08-2006, 07:38 PM

I knew there were a lot of things people thought you could only do in hospitals, but this one really through me for a loop:

When I went to the health department get a birth certificate for DD after our homebirth, I was told that only babies born in the hospital could be given a last name different from their father's. Babies born at home had to be given their father's last name. No, it didn't matter that DH and I both agreed on the last name. In the hospital we could have chosen a different last name together, but not if we had a home birth. (They did eventually give her the name we wanted, after I cried and threatened a lawsuit, simultaneously).
#75 of 98 Old 01-08-2006, 08:06 PM

Another dumb question/statement:

I use to be the token woman engineer in a mostly-male work place. I tried really hard to fit in, but with 0 or 1 women in each work group, that is never going to happen! Finally, I was pregnant. One of my (nicer) male colleages told me that he was surprised, he had never heard me mention before about wanting a baby.

Ladies, when you are the token woman, never admit to any interest in kids!

(And yes, I did get laid off afterwards! Though they axed male engineers too.)
#76 of 98 Old 01-08-2006, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia
When I went to the health department get a birth certificate for DD after our homebirth, I was told that only babies born in the hospital could be given a last name different from their father's. Babies born at home had to be given their father's last name. No, it didn't matter that DH and I both agreed on the last name. In the hospital we could have chosen a different last name together, but not if we had a home birth. (They did eventually give her the name we wanted, after I cried and threatened a lawsuit, simultaneously).

That reminds me of when DH and I tried to get driver's licenses in Alabama after moving from Tennessee a couple years ago...the woman at the driver's license office tried to tell DH that he had to present a birth certificate from Tennessee, where he was moving from. He explained that he wasn't BORN in Tennessee, he was born in Iowa. She honest to goodness told him "Well, you'll have to go back to Tennessee and get a birth certificate from there." He said his mom might have a problem with him trying to crawl back up inside at this point so he could be born in Tennessee instead of Iowa....
#77 of 98 Old 01-08-2006, 08:51 PM

I was at the Maternity Center and had delivered dd at 8:08pm. It was about 6am and I went for a walk to make some tea at the bev counter (bootie hangin out and all). A woman walked up and asked me when I was due? Err I said, "I just had a baby girl last night." She looked really confused. Guess people expect your belly to deflate right after the baby is born.

When I went back to work, a few people asked me if it hurt.
I did not do pain killers of any type, and was lucky not to tear thanks to my CNM. I think I did such a good job preparing mentally for the pain, even though it was my first and I really had no clue how it would feel. I told them, "no, not really." I have a high tolerance for pain.

Some men asked me if I was going to have an epidural. I told them I was not planning on it, and they seemed shocked and replied, "but it's free and legal." It is not free, duh.
#78 of 98 Old 01-08-2006, 10:24 PM

I can't think of the stupidest thing said to me but I have to say that I have thorougly enjoyed reading htis thread, it has had me LMAO.

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#79 of 98 Old 01-11-2006, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danav
The OB walked into the room to review the ultrasound and talk to me. He looked RIGHT at me, laying there breastfeeding my toddler, and asked "So...is this your first pregnancy?" I just pointed to my nursing toddler and said "Uh, no...THIS one is my first baby...THIS one (pointing to my belly) is my second."
#80 of 98 Old 01-11-2006, 02:32 AM

From MIL.... at about 36 weeks, "so, did the midwife tell you anything more about when the baby will come?"

Huh? Um, yes, she still thinks it will be born when it's ready.
#81 of 98 Old 01-11-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyneburh

Besides... I don't give mil any more then a due month. And she already knew that!

Besides,
My MIL asked (again) when I'm due and my only response is "eh, August, September, somewhere around in there" and she shocked me by saying "well, they come when they're ready" Which is pretty shocking coming from a woman who's last baby was born c-section because "he wouldn't come", the doctors had this woman convinced her son would stay in there forever unless they operated : Granted, this particular son (my dh) was a big baby (under 10lbs)with a pretty big head
#82 of 98 Old 01-11-2006, 10:29 PM

What a great thread!

My pastor's wife asked if my midwife cuts... I wasn't sure if she meant c/s or episiotomies, but I told her my midwife does neither and that's why I chose her! Granted, homebirth isn't a big thing around here and most of the people who do it are quiet about it. I doubt she ever knew anyone who had a homebirth before me. My mom religiously checks the birth announcements and rarely ever sees a homebirth announcement.
#83 of 98 Old 01-11-2006, 10:42 PM

When my DS was a couple days old a woman in my appartment who I rode the elevator every day with for the previous 6 months said " Where'd that come from? I didn't know you were pregnant!!" (Come on I'd gained 60 pounds that pregnancy...guess she thought I ate a whole watermelon!!)

"So, you're seeing a witch doctor, eh?" (from my father....that God I didn't tell him that it's been my life goal to be one of those "witch doctors" *lol*)

Katrina
#84 of 98 Old 01-12-2006, 07:54 PM

I recall running into one of my moms co-workers when mom was pg with my sis, I was 13 at the time. When she shared the news, co-worker said "Pregnant! How did that happen?", granted, she was a single mother, but ummm, DUH!

I had a classmate over hear me telling my arobics teacher that I was pg with ds1, and she said "wow, are you going to have it?" I said "yes" she said" are you going to keep it?" I cried for an hour after class that day. I was only 16 though when I found out, so everyone made me cry I guess. No one could understand why I would want my child!!

I also recall after sharing that I planned to labor at home as much as possible and have a natural birth i got the old "Natural? Why would you ever want to do that?"

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#85 of 98 Old 01-12-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie5765
When my DS was a couple days old a woman in my appartment who I rode the elevator every day with for the previous 6 months said " Where'd that come from? I didn't know you were pregnant!!" (Come on I'd gained 60 pounds that pregnancy...guess she thought I ate a whole watermelon!!)
"Found it in the hall, I'm surprised you didn't pick it up, he's been there for three weeks!"
#86 of 98 Old 01-13-2006, 06:52 PM

I had a nurse ask me, after I told her I'd had my last two babies at home, "ok, so were they born vaginally or by c-section?" I repeated they were born at home. The nurse looked at me, thought about it for a few, and started laughing at her inability to process. Nothing like home surgery

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#87 of 98 Old 01-13-2006, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia
I had a nurse ask me, after I told her I'd had my last two babies at home, "ok, so were they born vaginally or by c-section?" I repeated they were born at home. The nurse looked at me, thought about it for a few, and started laughing at her inability to process. Nothing like home surgery

#88 of 98 Old 01-29-2006, 03:06 AM

"you're having the baby at home? But who will deliver it?"

"So if it is a boy when will you take him to get circumsised? Or does the mw do that for you?"

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#89 of 98 Old 01-29-2006, 09:27 AM

From my mom: "But how do you get your home as sterile as the hospital?" A hospital? Sterile?
#90 of 98 Old 01-29-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentmidwife
From my mom: "But how do you get your home as sterile as the hospital?" A hospital? Sterile?
Uh yeah... tell her about the FL mom who went to the hospital to give birth and contracted a flesh-eating disease. She ended up with a hysterectomy and both arms and legs amputated.

That is a common misperception though... I can't use enough soap/water and Purell when I've been near a hospital, which thankfully is very rare.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page