Silliest question you've ever been asked about pregnancy/birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-22-2005, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought this would be fun. What is the absolute silliest or strangest thing you've ever been asked about pregnancy or birth?

From my childless sister when she found out I refused the ultrasound - "So you're getting one of those amnio needle test thingies?" *shudder* No way!

I can't really think of any others right now, but I'll post them when I do. C'mon ladies, spill! Let's all have a laugh!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2005, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I stopped working 2 days before the birth of my first child, and have been a SAHM since. When my second baby was 3 months old, I attended the wedding of a former co-worker, with my new baby in a sling - my two year old DD stayed home with DH. At the reception, I was standing around chatting with some people, and a guy that worked at my old hospital came up to talk with us (he wasn't in my department, but I saw him and talked with him nearly every day when I worked there two years earlier, hadn't seen him since then). He pointed at DS in the sling and asked "So, this is the same baby that you were pregnant with when you were working, right?" (I tried to politely point out that it had been more than two years, and no, THAT baby was now 2 years old and quite a bit larger than the one I was holding!)
Old 12-22-2005, 06:00 PM

"You want to give birth without drugs? Is that possible?"

*sigh*
Old 12-22-2005, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

I knew I'd think of a couple more...

Don't you HAVE to push on your back?

Don't all women need episiotomies?

How can you have the baby at HOME? What if you need a C/S?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 12-22-2005, 07:04 PM

From my neighbors (4 college guys) when DH told them that we'd just had DD at home:

"But who came and gave her an epidural?"
Old 12-22-2005, 08:34 PM

I was told by someone who works in our apt complex to NOT get the spinal, but get the epidural (I think she meant a shot of narcotics or something), because you could walk around, then. She had no idea we were having a homebirth: nod and smile.

At my shower, there's an ex coworker who said, "I can't believe you're having a homebirth, are you CRAZY???" She's not a judgemental type, she was just in total shock, so I said something to the effect that I would be more afraid to give birth in a hospital, and left it at that.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:23 PM

how do you have a baby at home? Do you take the baby to the hospital *after* it's born?
Old 12-22-2005, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Was this planned?

Grr, how about saying "congrats" and leaving the snarky comments out of it?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 12-23-2005, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone
I was told by someone who works in our apt complex to NOT get the spinal, but get the epidural (I think she meant a shot of narcotics or something), because you could walk around, then.
There is such a thing as a "walking epidural" (it's basically a lower dose epidural, so theoretically you can walk around--although you're still strapped to five tons of machinery).
Old 12-23-2005, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg
There is such a thing as a "walking epidural" (it's basically a lower dose epidural, so theoretically you can walk around--although you're still strapped to five tons of machinery).
No, that wasn't what she was talking about... what she said was it was a shot in the thigh, and you weren't stuck the bed. No one I've asked about it has any idea what she was talking about... best guess is some kind of narcotic.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:04 AM

"Well, how does the baby get out if the Dr. doesn't cut you?" asked by my MIL (who had 3 natural births, though she was given episiotomies w/all 3)
Old 12-23-2005, 08:59 AM

"so if the baby is born in the water, does it swim around and breathe water until you bring it to the surface?"
Old 12-23-2005, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie-dyed
how do you have a baby at home? Do you take the baby to the hospital *after* it's born?
I've heard this one A LOT. Uh, no, baby's here and looks fine, why do we need to go be poked and prodded?

Old 12-23-2005, 01:16 PM

Upon learning we were having a homebirth, I was asked 'can your midwife give you an epidural?'

After my first was born (over the summer, between semesters at college), I had people come up to me and ask 'where did that come from?' I told them there had been a sale over on Ponce.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
Old 12-23-2005, 02:54 PM

I got asked "Does the midwife give you an epidural?" by DH's (childless) aunt when we were discussing my homebirth plans. I said "No, I don't need that." She said "Really?! Hmm." I love her to death, she's so sweet, but that one made me laugh for weeks!

When I told at work about my first pregnancy, which was very much wanted though not specifically "planned" one guy said "Ruh-roh!" I looked at him like he had lost his MIND and said "I'm actually really happy and excited about this." He backpedaled and said congrats, etc. right away. Moron.

When we were at the hospital getting DS leg casted on Monday (3yo with a spiral fracture of the right tibia... fun fun fun!!!) the male tech/nurse guy upon hearing we have four kids at home and one on the way said to DH "You need to get a new hobby!"

Hello MORON, our kids and their little mishaps seem to be paying your salary today, so SHUT UP. That's what I wanted to say, but I kept my mouth shut. Some people are incurably stupid.

Kathryn
Old 12-23-2005, 02:58 PM

" So, did it hurt like, a lot?" To which I answered "Uh, yeah"
Old 12-23-2005, 03:01 PM

The silliest thing I've been asked was by my boss. "Where did you conceive the baby?" Kid you not. He asked me this at a staff meeting in front of my co-workers. You should have seen the glares he received from my female friends and thank god I didn't have to say anything because one of them spoke up and said "What????" : He shut up and moved on to a different topic.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:17 PM

My favorite question is "What happens in case of an emergency?".

Everyone anticipates an emergency! Most births proceed normally!
Old 12-23-2005, 10:44 PM

"But the baby will drown!" (in a wb... Yeah like it did in utero in all that liquor?)
"But your MW can't do a caesarean!" (um yeah I knew there was a reason I hired her!)
"What if I offend my Ob asking her if I can have a doula at the birth?" (What the?)
Old 12-23-2005, 10:51 PM

"How do you get your house as clean as the hospital?" Um, right.

"Does your midwife perform circumcisions?" No, and we won't be having it done anyway.

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
Old 12-23-2005, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetF
"But the baby will drown!" (in a wb... Yeah like it did in utero in all that liquor?)
Bwahahahaa :

I know you meant liquid, not liquor, but that about made me pee my pants :

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
Old 12-23-2005, 10:54 PM

When I was pg:
"Why do you rub your stomach like that?"
Old 12-23-2005, 10:59 PM

"but what if you like never go into labor?"

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 12-24-2005, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane
Don't you HAVE to push on your back?
this is like the only stupid question I've gotten (not even pregnant yet!) from my husband when I was telling him how bad the lithotomy position was:
"you mean there are other options than laying on your back?"

(My sweetie is a wonderful man, he had just never thought about pregnancy and birth yet. Breastfeeding, which he had thought about, he was/is already on board about.)
Old 12-24-2005, 04:10 AM

The absolute stupidest question I ever received was from a doctor, asking me about the unassisted birth... "How did you know to push?" My response? "Uhhh.... how do you know to take a s&*$?!!!!!"
Old 12-24-2005, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey
The absolute stupidest question I ever received was from a doctor, asking me about the unassisted birth... "How did you know to push?" My response? "Uhhh.... how do you know to take a s&*$?!!!!!"
I love this! So what did he say? I'm guessing he didn't concede the point...

I probably would've said "Um, how do *you* how I should push?"
Old 12-24-2005, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
When I was pg:
"Why do you rub your stomach like that?"

Why DO we rub our bellies like that? I started doing that before I could even feel the baby! Now I do it because I feel like it might help keep the baby from putting his foot through my abdomen, but like I said, I started the belly rubbing even before that. Guess even preggos have stupid questions.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie-dyed
I love this! So what did he say? I'm guessing he didn't concede the point...

I probably would've said "Um, how do *you* how I should push?"

He looked shocked, then dropped the question real quick, and turned it into trying to belittle me for my choice to birth unassisted.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:42 PM

This isnt exactly a prengant comment but about 6 hrs after I gave birth to my first son ( now 14) my youngest brother ( then 14) came to visit me in the hospital. Logan was all fed/swaddled and sleeping peacefully. Nervously holding is first nephew my brother looked at me honestly and said -- Now how many days is it until he gets his eyes open?

We still have a good laugh about it.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
Old 12-26-2005, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone
No, that wasn't what she was talking about... what she said was it was a shot in the thigh, and you weren't stuck the bed. No one I've asked about it has any idea what she was talking about... best guess is some kind of narcotic.
when i had dd#1 i didn't really think then to question thew ospital and when i went in there nit dilated at all but having had contractions all day they gave me something to "help me sleep" i was going to ask but didn't because the actual thought that went through my head )how naive i was) "they wouldn't give me something that would affect the baby" I got a shot in the butt. i found out the next day it was MORPHINE!!!! hello what the H E L L. when we were driving home in between nodding out i said "man if i didn't know better i'd think they gave me morphine" (a s a teenager i did this drug illegally)

i'm not going to a hospital this time if i can help it!!

i always get asked "what's it feel like when the baby moves inside you?"
it's a pretty legitimate question just one that is hard to answer.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

User Tag List