Polyhydramnios: This is a new one for me - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-25-2005, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all!

My daughter is Due Dec 30th with her first child (a little boy) .
About 7 1/2 months into this pregnancy, she went inf or her regular checkup and when they measured her belly, instead of measuring about 31 wks she was measuring 34. The sceduled a ultrasound to see what was going on. They found she had gained more amnioctic fluid around the baby. They told us there was nothing to worry about, so we didn't. My daughter is VERY huge, and on top of it, the baby is going to be pretty big. She looked due 2 months ago, and she shocks the nurses now with how big she is. They always assume she is carryin twins. Anyway, I was reading on the internet more on Polyhydramnios, and what I read really concerns me. I don't understand why they would tell us there is nothing to worry about, when what I read about it, there could be several complications. She had already been on pre-term labor alert for 4 months, but has finally made it. During one of her ultrasounds the doc told her her baby "might" have a club foot. But otherwise he seemed fine.

They listed complications like hemorraging and bowel, kidney and liver problems.. Is this something we should be concerned with??? She is 1 1/2 centimeters dialated now and it shoudl be any day, in fact they are surprised she carried this long. I just want to go in knowing what could possibly go wrong, rather than be surprised.

Thanks
Tami
#2 of 14 Old 12-25-2005, 11:48 PM

Sometimes it means that there is something wrong with baby's kidneys or GI tract, but most of the time it doesn't mean anything. My friend had that and was able to have a normal birth and her baby is now almost 3 and doing great. I'm sure they will keep an eye on the baby after the birth just to make sure it's okay, but the u/s probably ruled out any major potential problems.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 14 Old 12-26-2005, 08:38 AM

I had it with my first and I was told that the chances something is actually wrong with the baby was rare, they did the u/s and the baby was fine. They believe it did help contribute to my PTL at 31 wks and I was put on bedrest till 36 weeks where they ended up inducing me. I was even at 5 cm for those 5 weeks. My baby did come out a bit "big" for a 36 wker but they said thats usually common when you have poly.
#4 of 14 Old 12-26-2005, 09:58 AM

It's not always a big concern. If they aren't concerned, honestly, I woundn't get too concerned myself. In fact, it's a good thing when you have an OB that doens't get all riled up about such things. Sometimes extra fluid just means a bigger baby. Sometimes it can be a sign of problems with the baby. And sometimes a mama just makes a lot of fluid. The real problems with polyhydramnios are things like cord prolapse when water breaks. That's more pressing of an issue that the other things as you can't do anything about the other things that could be wrong until the baby comes out anyway. Also, I wouldn't be too shaken up by your daughter's size. I'm huge. People have thought I was carrying twins for months now. I've measured big since 21 weeks, usually 3cms big and my fluid is just fine. I have a lot of it, and that's okay. My baby moves around and is happy in his or her little pool. I wish your daughter a beautiful birth!!

Namaste, Tara
#5 of 14 Old 12-26-2005, 02:54 PM

I was like that with all three births. And I just have big babies.

Here's my birth slide show and the 1st picture is when I was 20 weeks and it has another picture about 3 days before I went into labor. Birth pictures Just click on my birth video link. It's crazy how much fluid I had.

I have all healthy kids
#6 of 14 Old 12-26-2005, 10:32 PM

Three weeks bigger at fundal height is pretty meaningless. And most of those labels are in the eye of careprovider. A lot of fluid to me, is a lot different from a lot of fluid to an Ob, yk? As you've noted, there are potential issues with some babies and that seems to be a part of the syndrome involved but for most babies a little more fluid means nothing. You'll have to wait and see with that one. If your daughter is concerned about issues with the baby she can ask for an u/s to really check that out otherwise fluid levels drop before labour anyway so she might just end up with a nice, normal puddle of fluid in birth. True polyhydramnios involves many litres of extra fluid, not just measuring a few weeks ahead.
#7 of 14 Old 12-26-2005, 10:41 PM

I agree with the above posters. I worked in a high risk antepartum unit and a bit of extra fluid is no big deal until the water breaks, when there is some increased risk of cord prolapse. Some studies also show there is increased risk of getting knots in the cord, though the baby should be big enough now that it would not happen.

If she had been having polyhydramnios for several months or a gross amount of fluid I would be more worried.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#8 of 14 Old 12-27-2005, 12:33 AM

Measuring three centimeters off "average" at 31 weeks is not all that extreme. As to how your daughter "looks" during pregnancy, that is just due to her body structure and the way the baby is positioned.

Even the fluid estimations are not all that accurate. Imagine if you were standing under a glass floor, and above you was a person lying in a clear glass bathtub, and you had to make a guess as to how full the bathtub was. You could take measurements of hoow much fluid you saw between the person and the sides of the tub, but they'd just be guesses, right?

Don't worry. A slight deviation from "average" just means that your duaghter's body hasn't read the medical textbooks and doesn't know it's "supposed" to do pregnancy by that standard

My body hasn't read those either, but I've stayed healthy and within the boundaries of "normal" through each of my pregnancies so far, though how far I've strayed from "average" has been different each time.

Kathryn
#9 of 14 Old 12-29-2005, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Hello All,

Thanks for all the comments and support. I was called by my daughter this morning at 7am, we think today is the day She says the contractions are 7 minutes apart and her back is killing her, so daddy to be is up with her with a heating pad and helping her take a warm bath. They will call me when they are 5 minutes apart I'm sooo excited!!! Here is a link, to see pics of my daughter taken Christmas eve and Christmas day .. http://360.yahoo.com/profile-wJSmJ4g...A.H4yHSBEgcw--

Thanks again all!!
Tami
#10 of 14 Old 12-30-2005, 03:30 AM

I just wanted to say congratulations, I hope everything goes great! Soon your daughter will be looking at those belly pictures from Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and marvelling at how impossible they seem, LOL. I hope you are a proud grandma soon!
#11 of 14 Old 12-31-2005, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Hello all,

Just wanted to let you know my daughter had her baby Dec 29th @ 9:47pm. Cameron Alexander weighed 7 lbs 13 ozs and is 21 1/4 inches long. She had more bleeding than usual because of the Polyhydramnios, but she is better. She also spiked a temp of 103, they say because she dehydrated. But she did beautifully and with no medications to help!! Attached is my profile with pics of the baby... He is absolutely adorable!!!

http://360.yahoo.com/profile-wJSmJ4g...A.H4yHSBEgcw--

Thanks
Tami
#12 of 14 Old 12-31-2005, 03:51 AM

Congrats... he is beautiful!!
#13 of 14 Old 12-31-2005, 03:54 AM

Congradulations! he looks great! sounds like she did a wonderful job too

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#14 of 14 Old 12-31-2005, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
congratulations. 3cm is really nothing to worry about and I am suprised her Dr. even made much of a note about it. people who realy have this condition realy havr too much amnptic fluid. I was increasing by 5cm per week. they checked the baby and were concerned about how big she was (she was huge, but I liken it to a gold fish, they will grow as big as thier bowl allows . . . . she had quite the bowl), my weight was increasing buy about 10 pounds per week and the stress from that caused my blood presure to sky rocket. The muscles in my abdomen were pulling and something was damaged inside that hurts like craziness everytime I get pregnant. I went into labor at 33 weeks (the morning I went into labor they were going to do a level 2 ultrasound to see if the babys systems were working properly) and while I was in the hospital they decided to begin amnio taps (going in with an amniocentisis needle and drawing out fluid every other day). The night before my first tap (3 days later - they didn't want to start until i coul safely deliver since the risk of it starting labor was really high) my water broke. it snapped actualy. hurt like crazy. They figured that would happen. they also worried about a prolapse cord with althat fluid and since she was still very moble in there they ere worrid about cord accidents. I had lost 1-2 liters of fluid by the time I got to the hospital. it was jusrt draining out. I still measured 42 cm atfer 2 hours of constant draining. my blood pressure went down as soon as some of the water was gone which was nice and I felt much better. She came out fine. healthy for her age. there was a cord issue (it was wraped around her neck 3 times tight enough to leave marks) so it is good she came when she did. they were honestly quite surprised how well it all worked out. I only know one other person in real life whose had such a problem. Her baby did have complications and had to be rushed into surgery shortly after birth (his intestines were messed up so he wasn't processing the fluids. he is fine now ) but they knew that easily by an ultrasound. I started having problems again with my third one but not as bad. I did feel the water break again (and it hurt like crazy again) she was 3 weeks early. nothing to worry about though. I htink I was only 5 cm over or so.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page