For your first birth...how long did you push? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2006, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2 hours pushing, ds was posterior as well. I had an epidural for that birth and had no idea I wasn't pushing hard enough. Then I overheard the OB ask the nurse to get the vacuum ready. I wanted to avoid that and said "do I need to push harder then?" The epidural really cut off all sensation and I had no idea when to push, nor how hard I needed to push. The nurses just kept telling me I was doing a good job....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2006, 09:07 PM

3 pushes, 4 pushy contractions.

I pushed with the first contraction and he crowned. Then I rode out the next ctx b/c of the ring of fire, I was trying to give myself time to stretch and wanted to run from the pain. Then pushed with the next ctx and delivered his head, the third his shoulders and body came out.
Maybe it's important that in between ctx I held him in place using my abdominal muscles and diaphragm. When the second ctx hit and I breathed through it the nurse snapped at me to push, he would slip back in if I didn't push. But I ignored her and held him in place with my muscles, then pushed when I was ready.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:44 AM

#1-natural hospital birth, pushed for 1.5 hours
#2-natural hospital birth, didn't need to push he just came out!
#3-natural hospital birth, pushed for 10 minutes, was hoping he would just come out like ds1, but no I had to push for 10 minutes and it hurt too!
Old 02-12-2006, 11:13 PM

I know this thread is mega old but I need some sort of proof that I read all these posts:

#1 Induced/pre-eclampsia/nubaine (drug): IMPOSSIBLE!!! Labored from Dec. 27 to Dec. 29. Pushed for 6 hours. I was inside out by the time we were done. To be honest though, I really didn't know what I was doing. I didn't know where to push, kept trying to physically push it out with my hands on my belly...

#2 Natural, hospital: EASY!!! Pushed 3 times, for a total of about 5 or 6 minutes.

#3 Natural, hospital: HARD!!! Pushed once, for about 1 minute. (premature, so he just shot right out...)

Jennie Young

Old 02-13-2006, 12:22 AM

Homebirth: 1 hour with compound hand.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:40 PM

I pushed for an hour, but I really think that if I hadn't been so scared of pushing and been doing all that was in my power to hold back it would have been about 20 minutes.

I'm hoping this next one will go a little more smoothly, though now I'm even more scared of pushing!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

Old 02-13-2006, 07:09 PM

DD#1 40min
DD#2 (didnt really pay attention but it wasnt as long, maybe 20 min or so but not less than 20 min!)

I felt more with #2 because my epidural was more worn off it hurt so much more, and she was a whole lb smaller than #1!!

Mama to our cheerleading,Julianna 8/02, Artistic, Fiona 12/05 and our intact homebirthed, wild nursling, Nolan 8/08
Old 02-13-2006, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DD, natural, hospital w/cnm. Rested for 20 minutes after I hit 10cm and H20 broke. Spontaneously pushed for 38 minutes.

DS, natural, hospital w/cnm. Water broke at 5 1/2 cm. Didn't push at all. Midwife came over to see how I was doing (used hypnobirthing &was sitting on a birthing ball quietly by the bed), and I said, "OH! It just CROWNED, and I tore a tiny bit, too!" She bent over, tossed me onto the bed, and caught the rest of him just in time. Did have a tiny tear, but I don't think I could really have prevented it...I didn't know I was crowning! I did feel movement downward, but wasn't consciously pushing.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 02-14-2006, 02:07 PM

But then, I had a seriously long labor to begin with. 36 hours of what turned out to be prodromal labor (36 hours of 5-minute-apart contrax but no cervical change), followed by 24 hours of active labor.

I started pushing still under the influence of the epidural (no pushing urge), but after an hour or so, the drug ran out and nature took over. Still 90 minutes from there.

KC
Old 02-14-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlein26
i pushed for 2 hours with ds and i just found out that a colleague of dh's got her dd out with 4 pushes...is this possible? tell me your pushing story.
That's about how many pushes I did. It lasted maybe 5 minutes. The nurse told me to do "practise pushes" before they brought the doctor in, and the first "practise" push reared the sight of a babyhead. The nurse ran out the door and started yelling down the hall. Meh heh.

So... yep. It's possible

If it makes you feel any better, I had pelvic pain for months (while working on my feet) and a long inactive labor. Heh.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
Old 02-14-2006, 11:53 PM

With ds #1 I pushed for a full 6hrs. He was still turning flips in my ribcage after hours of active labor. Dr. wanted a c-section I refused. He told me I only had a certain amount of time or he was taking him. So I pushed for six hours, after which we realized I had tore my rectum in three places. Now dd was a breeze!! Trully only a grunt and two pushes. The labor was long but the pushing was over almost instantly! Thankfully each and every pregnancy is different! Ds #2 took abot 20 minutes of pushing and he was caught in the hands of his daddy!
Old 02-22-2006, 03:27 AM

maybe 20 minutes at tops- standard epi- in hospital.....
dd- #2- 45 minutes or so....no epi, small tear over old epi- my fault... did not listen to midwife!
Old 02-23-2006, 01:07 AM

Home birth w/ 20 mins. of pushing while I stood!
Old 02-25-2006, 03:30 AM

i pushed for almost an hour, but cannot remember how many surges I worked with...just remember the time between them was long and soo nice. I guess my mw thought perhaps my labor was slowing down but when I turned toward her so she could look, ds's head was crowning!

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
Old 02-25-2006, 03:44 AM

ahhhhh yes, those wonderful breaks between pushing contractions... that was like the best (non) drug EVER! I've never felt anything so peaceful before in my life.

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

Old 05-02-2006, 05:05 PM

Spent 3 hours almost to the exact minute pushing (no drugs or interventions) first DC.
9 & 1/2 lbs, OP.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:29 PM

Five hours - finally got her turned with the ventouse after the midwife couldn't do it with her hand - she was asynclitic transverse.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:02 PM

1hr 40mins with my first. I never would have guessed that, though. I was half-asleep and in a complete trance during it, so it felt like 20 minutes tops.

I remember pushing the first few times and feeling like she'd NEVER come out because she didn't come flying after three grunts.

With my second he was sliding out without any urge to push, and they shoved him back in to do a c-section. He probably would have taken one conscious push.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Old 05-02-2006, 06:31 PM

#1- FSBC, 7 1/2 hours total labor, but 4 hours pushing! I had back labor so maybe posterior/asynclitic? Pushed in every position, on land and in water, and felt like he was almost there the whole time. I give my MW credit, she never forced anything, just gave me time and position suggestions. I kept falling asleep between contractions, but my body was trying to heave him out like crazy during them. It hurt and I hated it. Frustrating since I felt like I handled the dilation stage just fine and I had always heard pushing would be better. : Ended up on my back and had no tears, just an internal skidmark. 8lb 2 oz.

#2 - Home, 2 1/2 hours total labor. Seriously just fell out, I had to adjust position slightly and push a tiny bit for her shoulders but that was it. Squatting. Slight tear, no stitches. 8lb even.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:53 PM

With DD, I "officially" pushed for 45 minutes, but I think I was pushing before that, because when my water broke in the tub I KNEW I was pushing. My body just took over.

One of the nurses who came busting in when I was pushing kept trying to count at me. I totally ignored her and pushed when I had the urge. I even decided to skip pushing on one of the contractions and the OB looked up and said "did we skip a contraction?" I said yup, I wanted a break. She laughed and said no problem, you're doing great.

I'd been having contractions for about 30 hours, but only 7 hours of what I call "hard labor" - having to stop and manage myself through contractions. DD was born at the hospital about 3 hours after we got there, completely med free and with no intervention.

Mama to DD : (7/23/03) & DS : (10/27/06) married to DH 7/20/01
and yet 90% more mainstream than the rest of MDC
Old 05-02-2006, 11:55 PM

I labored for 32 1/2 hrs and pushed for only like, 5 minutes! 3 good pushes and she was out!
Old 05-02-2006, 11:56 PM

3-4 hours with first(can quite remember but def 3)
20 mins with second
Old 05-03-2006, 12:29 AM

hmm well my body was pushing for about 30 minutes before midwife arrived, but i wasn't pushing with it. When she got here it about about 2 pushes and he was out, 1 contraction.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:37 AM

I did three pushes with my dd. However, I was bearing down a little before that with a few contractions. It probably took about 12 minutes.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:44 AM

Only a couple of pushes. It was a hospital birth, in Jamaica, in an overcrowded maternity ward with only one midwife for a 12 hour shift. You better not even think about calling her until you felt the head coming!
Old 05-03-2006, 04:55 AM

ds1: 35 minutes
ds2: 14 minutes
ds3: came flying out with 1 contraction and 2 pushes!

All 3 were unmedicated hospital births.

Homeschooling Mom of 4 boys: 10/02, 6/04, 3/06, 2/09
Old 05-03-2006, 03:08 PM

30-40 minutes pushing. was in labor for about 8 hours before that. it was a homebirth, no interventions.

raising my two sunshine children.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:37 PM

Hosp with an epi, delivered baby's head and arm at the same time. pushed for 3+ hours.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:28 AM

First birth 3 pushes she was out. Last birth I pushed 20 minutes.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:39 AM

DD 1 I pushed for 28 minutes. She was 9 pounds 6 ounces and 19"

DD2 I pushed for 5 minutes. She was 9 pounds 7 ounces and 22"

No tears or anything. Took tons of flax oil during the pregnancy, and a good prenatal. Lots of Emergen-c too.
The 28 minutes I didn't like, but it was bearable.
The five minutes with dd2 was the worst of my life. She was positioned weird, and..Uck. I still cringe when I think of it.

User Tag List