Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 01-23-2006, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cesarean Birth Support Thread January & February 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heyla all!

Since we seem to be picking back up after the holidays I thought it might be nice to update the thread!

As always, this thread is for support only and is for all who want to give support to women who have had cesarean births or planning cesarean births for whatever reason. This is not a thread on whether or not cesareans are necessary, etc.

That said...it's been 9.5 months since my c/s and I've still got some aches and pains. Anyone know of some gentle yoga or general stretching moves that could help? I'm thinking I've probably got some adhesions on the right side of the incision (the left feels fine and you can hardly see the scar, the right side though is tight and a bit painful and the scar is very "ropy").

Also...any ideas about herbal supplements to try that might aid healing? My dh and I are starting to think about ttc and I'm hoping for a VBAC when the time comes so I'm looking for good uterine healing ideas!

good luck and swift healing to us all!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#2 of 56 Old 01-23-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay
That said...it's been 9.5 months since my c/s and I've still got some aches and pains. Anyone know of some gentle yoga or general stretching moves that could help? I'm thinking I've probably got some adhesions on the right side of the incision (the left feels fine and you can hardly see the scar, the right side though is tight and a bit painful and the scar is very "ropy").
Isn't it weird how the left & right sides can be so different? I still very occasionally feel a twinge from the left end of my scar, but never from any other part...anyhoo...

The two books I have* make the following recommendations for general abdomenal health and healing:
-seated forward-bend poses are a good start, especially the bound-angle pose with a forward bend (the "woman's pose"), child's pose, and wide-leg stretch with forward bend (which can be done while resting your folded arms on the seat of a chair, if you wish)
-gentle seated twisting poses
-abdomen-strengthening poses like the bridge or any curl-ups
-standing poses like side-angle, triangle, half-moon, and tree pose (which can be done against the wall)
-lying poses with your legs up a wall, like reclining wide-leg and reclining bound angle
-inverted and shoulder-stand poses like the plough and shoulder-stand (with legs to wall)
-and of course downward-facing dog is just one of those great, do-it-all kind of poses that help with everything.

Look for pictures of these poses here, if any of my terminology is confusing! These can actually be started (gently) as early as six-weeks post-surgery, so long as one's doctor okays it. And of course, don't do anything that hurts or seems too difficult. It is certainly possible to do "partial" poses until you increase flexibility--you should work toward not only more flexibility but holding the poses for longer periods of time.

*The books I have are Yoga for Pregnancy by Sandra Jordan and The Woman's Book of Yoga & Health by Linda Sparrowe and Patricia Walden. It is, of course, best to do these things in a class setting with a good teacher, but since that isn't always possible...thank goodness for books!
#3 of 56 Old 01-23-2006, 04:15 PM

Hi there, glad to see a new thread!

I'm a little over 3 mos pp with c/s #2 and feeling good. I get some twinges when I'm running, but nothing serious. I am wondering about diastasis though..are they worse with c/s? Mine is terrible this time around.

no idea on the herbs...let me know though!

thanks...hope all of you are well.
#4 of 56 Old 01-23-2006, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am wondering about diastasis though..are they worse with c/s?
I don't know, but I'd imagine the additional trauma to the ab muscles from the c/s probably can't help. I've just started doing the exercises in the (really awfully named) "Lose Your Mummy Tummy" which are aimed at closing the diastasis and they seem to be helping. I'm not sure though, and I'm not sure if the exercises are contributing to my incision pain.

Quote:
Isn't it weird how the left & right sides can be so different?
It is soooooo odd. I mean, the left side of my incision is practically invisible and when I rub my fingers over it there's nothing out of the ordinary. On the right side however I have a large-ish numb spot (perhaps an inch "tall" by three inches "wide"), the scar is raised and "ropy", and there is a very obvious lump under the skin that follows the incision line for a few inches. And I really only get the twinges, aches, and odd sensations along that portion of the scar. Why oh why couldn't it be like the left side!

I've been doing scar massage off and on...I guess I need to be more serious about it and do it every day like they recommend.

Thanks for the stretches btw...I'll give them a try!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#5 of 56 Old 01-23-2006, 06:26 PM

NAK

I'm 2-1/2 mo post c/s and I feel pretty good. I don't know about any specific herbs but I rub aloe vera gel into the incision every day. Back at my two week check-up, the nurse said my incision looks fantastic and she'll have to start recommending the aloe.

What bothers me is the lack of sensation in the skin around it. Some people say it returns in a year or so, but both my sisters say theirs never has. Grrrr.
#6 of 56 Old 01-23-2006, 06:39 PM

Hi. I had an emergency c-section last month. Physically, my body is nearly healed. Emotionally, I am having a hard time. I had gen. anesth., so I was unconscious for the birth of my son. This has been very hard on me. I don't know what Michael looked like when he wasborn, whether he cried or not. I don't even know hat his apgars were (not really good, since he was taken to NICU). Neither my husband nor my doula were allowed in the OR, so noone an give me this info. I feel guilty sometimes that I "wasn't there" for Michael's birth. He is a very beautiful boy, and brings me joy daily; we just had a rough start that I am still recovering from.
#7 of 56 Old 01-23-2006, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

to you ozzyemm...I'm so sorry you had such a rough time. Sometimes it's just so hard to make the doctor's involved in a c/s realize that they're dealing with someone's birth, rather than just another procedure to do before they go home.

Although they probably wont tell you anything "personal" about your son's birth, ask your doctor (or your son's ped) to help you get your hospital records. That way you'll at least know his apgars and have an idea of what he did/how he looked (though it will obviously be a more "clinical" story than your dh or doula might have told). Sometimes your records can help emotionally as well since if your c/s really was medically necessary it can be reassuring to know that (for some women, at least).

I'm glad you're recovering physically, but give yourself time to grieve for the birth you didn't have and to come to terms with the birth you did have. It can take a while...I know I'm still upset by my c/s.

Congrats on your little one though...it sounds like both of you are real fighters.

#8 of 56 Old 01-24-2006, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry
NAK

What bothers me is the lack of sensation in the skin around it. Some people say it returns in a year or so, but both my sisters say theirs never has. Grrrr.
I have recovered the sensation around the incision - I realized it sometime over the past several months so I am not sure exactly when it happened. I know that when we were TTC earlier in 2005 I still had numbness, and that was around the one year mark after my c/s. I will have to ask my sister who has had 2 c/s how she feels now - her youngest kids, twins, are now almost 7.

The wierd thing I get sometimes is odd prickly heat feelings there, kind of irritating. But then I dust the area with cornstarch and it takes care of it. Also don't much like bikini underwear anymore, prefer not have anything rubbing the scar area.

Mine healed very nicely tho; it's a small, very even scar. My dad is a surgeon and gave it the thumbs up too! I hope if end up in another c/s that part is as good. I guess maybe that is one of the benefits of having my first c/s in the hospital here with the highest c/s rate... I will now be at the place with the lowest so it will be interesting to compare if it comes to that.
#9 of 56 Old 01-24-2006, 11:49 AM

Everyone I asked told me that I might be numb around my incision forever, but I recovered all sensation in about 6 months, iirc. It's different for everyone.

I've been doing some of the spinningbabies things (holy moly, that's hard!) and I think ( that BellyBean turned last night. I felt her go transverse before I went to sleep, and did my best to keep my butt in the air as I fell asleep, but I was too tired to do much more. Anyway, this morning I'm pretty sure that I'm only feeling hands at the bottom. She hasn't kicked yet, but she will soon since she's awake and I'll know for sure then (I can't lean back and feel around, because the kids will pounce on me ). Anyway, this is a good thing. I'm excited!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#10 of 56 Old 01-24-2006, 12:00 PM

I had my section 2 years ago in feb and still do not have any feeling around my incision. i also had a horrible experience but my daughter was well worth it. I am new are you pregnant now or just delivered.
#11 of 56 Old 01-24-2006, 01:24 PM

How do you all deal with insensitive things that people say? I got a card from my Mom's best friend (I don't particularily like this woman, although she is fond of me). The card was for DD and had some money, but she put in a sticky note that said something along the lines of "I am glad you had a c-section for your large baby because I had a large baby 40+ years ago and I still feel the effects. My daughter had two c-sections." I know that my mom recently saw this woman because my mom had told me not to feel bad about my c-section because her daughter had two and I am no longer discussing my feelings with my mom (but am going to find a professional for help and am attending ICAN meetings). Oddly enough, the friend has a PhD in psychology, apparently she doesn't specialize in post partum issues though.
So do I ignore or confront or write her a letter expressing my feelings and toss/burn it?

Elionwy - I hope bellybean keeps her head down!

Oh another thing, I am either coming down with the flu or mastitis, and the incision (almost 4 months old) really aches today, do people find that it hurts more when you are sick?
#12 of 56 Old 01-24-2006, 02:36 PM

Turtlewomyn, I'd suggest the toss & burn approach. People like that won't change their views even if you do speak your mind to them. Just let it roll off--her uninformed opinion does not matter, and if you don't feel close to her, her "support" should not matter either. Hugs to you.
#13 of 56 Old 01-24-2006, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

I'd do the "write and toss" approach too. It's really important for you to get out everything you need to say, and how this sort of comment makes you feel, but it probably wouldn't educate this friend or change her mind about c/s. Maybe, since she has a degree in psych, at some point you could casually mention to her some of the studies available through ICAN or Mothering about the emotional/psychological damage of a c/s? Sort of say..."gee, I read this on ICAN and wondered what you think about it?". Just to help educate her about the situation.

It might help to remember that 40 years ago the birth environment/culture was A LOT different than it is now and her remembrances of her birth are probably playing a big role in how she sees birth now. (my mom had a hysterecomy five years ago as a result of a "bungled" delivery with my 10+ pound brother 24 years ago that damaged her uterus and one of her first comments about my c/s was "thank god"... so I totally understand how hurtful this sort of comment can be!)

Not that that excuses how she made you feel! But she probably saw her comment as supportive...and perhaps it's a comment that her own daughter responded well to after her own c/s. I dunno...c/s seems to be one of those topics where no one knows what to say and where the stock responses (like "at least you have a healthy baby!") just aren't terribly helpful to an nfl/ap mama.

I'm so sorry this woman brought you down like this! Hope the flu bug passes you by...but yeah, my incision hurts a bit when I'm really tired (I think the muscles in that area are a bit weaker now and tire more rapidly) so a cold could certainly have a similar affect.

#14 of 56 Old 01-24-2006, 03:59 PM

Hi! just listening in...I found out @ my 20 week ultrasound that I may have vasa previa (and I do have a bilobed placenta) so I will most likely have a c-section @35 - 36 weeks. I don't know much about c-sections or how the recovery will differ from my vaginal birth so... :

Kate
#15 of 56 Old 01-24-2006, 03:59 PM

yes, mine aches when I have the beginnings of an mastitis or an infection too, or when I'm just really run down.

aren't those comments the worst? that's why I hate having to say I had a c/s, and now two . most people just don't get it, and won't. and that's okay...that's what MDC is for and friends IRL who know what you went through. anyway, I've so been there and I'm sorry.
#16 of 56 Old 01-26-2006, 05:39 PM

Hello, I am almost one year post c-section and now ttc #2. I will try for a VBAC. I never thought I'd need a section and i did all the "thinking woman's stuff' to avoid it, but it still happened. I think even if I'd gone off alone in the woods to birth I would still have found my way into the OR! On the bright side, physically, the recovery from my section was easy. Dealing with the crappy comments is hard. I've had people tell me how lucky i am, how they wished they had a section, how now I will ALWAYS need a section, TRIAL of labor pisses me off too
If I get pregnant again I will do all the thinking woman's stuff again and plan what I'll do if I am back in the OR....
#17 of 56 Old 01-26-2006, 08:31 PM

turtlewomyn--I remembered something that might be helpful or not...but my stepdad's mom and I (she is 88) were talking about birth and she had 2 ten-pounders vaginally and is still traumatized (her "kids" are 57 and 55). Apparently they could not repair tears very well and of course she birthed laying down in stirrups . She has said that she would have been glad for surgery because it was so horrible what she went through. Okay, that's *totally* not to say that c-sections are great or even would have been justified, but I can see her point...maybe your mom's friend went through something similar and was remembering it. Maybe not but it really helped me to know that older people who say stuff like that are just mourning their traumatic births too sometimes.
#18 of 56 Old 01-31-2006, 09:56 PM

I'm about 1 1/2 weeks post c-section now (for my breech baby). We tried and external version but it was unsuccessful. DS' heart rate remained good but I told the OB's to stop after a few tries- I decided it wasn't worth the risk if he wasn't going to flip fairly easily.

I'm disappointed because I know that frank breech deliveries are possible, but knowing that my OB had never done one herself, I knew that c-section was probably much a safer option in my case. I never had considered that when I chose a doctor... My first delivery was fairly uneventful and I thought this one would be even easier...

Anyways, there were no complications and I'm doing pretty well. Anyone else less than a month or so post c-section? I"m wondering when I can start tightening my abs a bit and when these stubborn steri-strips will start to come off! They are taped on pretty strongly over my sutures and I don't want to pull on them. My OB said to look for changes in the stitches/redness, but I can't see anything under all that tape.

I'm getting stronger every day but still really tired... I am so lucky to have the in-laws here for a few weeks helping out with the house and my toddler for now... And nursing is going really well. It's still hard to believe that I had a c-section though. I had never envisioned that. Having DS here and healthy has really helped me not to dwell on it too much though. I was really upset when I found out I was going to need one if he remained breech and really scared about complications. It's so good to have that behind me and begin healing...

--Kelly
#19 of 56 Old 01-31-2006, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry your little one didn't flip, but glad your sugery went so well! I feel like I've been recommending these two books a lot recently, but Bounce Back after the Baby and Lose Your Mummy Tummy both have sections on c/s recovery, exercises that are designed for the c/s mama, and directions on scar massage after c/s (to prevent adhesions or break them up if formed).

I know what you mean about the steri strips though! My doctor told me to "just pull them off when you're ready" and I couldn't believe it! After a few weeks I decided to bite the bullet and started easing them off in the shower (I put a little olive oil on them and then started geeeeeeeennnnnnnntly rubbing at the corners). I found that sort of rolling them off sideways instead of pulling them off from the bottom up (or the top down) was the way to go. That said, I almost passed out...it didn't hurt but I was so psyched up the adrenaline was really flowing and I got completely woozy and dizzy. So if you're like me and something of a wuss when it comes to potential pain (actual pain doesn't bug me...it's the "maybe" pains that get me) you might want to inform someone that your'e about to remove the steri strips.

But it really didn't hurt!

You said the steri strips are over your sutures? I had staples that were removed before I left the hospital so they put the steri strips over the incision to help prevent adhesions. If you do have sutures that need to be removed by the doc then they could probably remove the strips for you then. If the sutures are the kind that break off on their own though I recommend a glass of something soothing (with the promise of chocolate after), a hot shower, and a little olive oil.

Congratulations on your brand new little one!

#20 of 56 Old 01-31-2006, 10:31 PM

I'm starting to get worried. BellyBean has turned several times, but she seems to be spending most of her time breech/transverse. : Is it ever, in any way, possible to deliver a baby vaginally when they're transverse at the onset of labor?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#21 of 56 Old 02-01-2006, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
I'm starting to get worried. BellyBean has turned several times, but she seems to be spending most of her time breech/transverse. : Is it ever, in any way, possible to deliver a baby vaginally when they're transverse at the onset of labor?
Hmmm, not sure, but I don't believe so -- especially if your water has broken. At that point risks of prolapse cord and other cord injuries can occur.

I've never actually known anyone personally go into labor with a transverse baby, breech but not lying side to side.

Kim
#22 of 56 Old 02-01-2006, 01:46 AM

My SIL went into labor with baby#2 being transverse, and she would not (obviously) descend, and there was worry that the cord was going to prolapse so she had a c-section. She said that it's very rare though. Her OB said it only happened about 1/2 of 1 percent of the time.

--Kelly
#23 of 56 Old 02-01-2006, 01:48 AM

Wombatclay, Thanks for the advice and congrats. I'm definitely going to look into those 2 books ASAP. Maybe I'll get lucky and the library will have one or both. I have dissolving stitches under my steristrips... Oil and some warm water sounds like a good idea --once they're a bit looser though LOL.

--Kelly
#24 of 56 Old 02-01-2006, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookesmom

Anyways, there were no complications and I'm doing pretty well. Anyone else less than a month or so post c-section? I"m wondering when I can start tightening my abs a bit and when these stubborn steri-strips will start to come off! They are taped on pretty strongly over my sutures and I don't want to pull on them. My OB said to look for changes in the stitches/redness, but I can't see anything under all that tape.

I'm getting stronger every day but still really tired... I am so lucky to have the in-laws here for a few weeks helping out with the house and my toddler for now... And nursing is going really well. It's still hard to believe that I had a c-section though. I had never envisioned that. Having DS here and healthy has really helped me not to dwell on it too much though. I was really upset when I found out I was going to need one if he remained breech and really scared about complications. It's so good to have that behind me and begin healing...

--Kelly
I just had a c-section one moth ago tommorrow. I want to start working on my abs, too! I have been healing really well. The nurses had to remind me to take my pain meds, and I started moving around quickly. But it did hurt, and it was hard to deal with the first week or so. I would never actually wish that my babies were in the NICU, but I told my husband that I couldn't imagine trying to take care of both babies while healing from the surgery.

I can't believe I had a c-section, either. Especially since the first baby was born vaginally. The second baby wasn't in distress, but she wouldn't come out, either. We waited for six hours and tried different things, but she wouldn't budge. I have always been terrified of having a c-section, but I started to feel like she needed to come out. I feel bad, because I know that twins are sometimes born days apart, and maybe we should have just left her in there. I don't know.

I'm glad to have found this thread. Too bad we don't have a forum to ourselves.
#25 of 56 Old 02-01-2006, 02:23 AM

This may be a silly question, but is it possible to come to terms with having a cesarean if there's little you can plan for?

It's a bit premature for me to be assuming I'll have to have a cesarean, but if current issues don't resolve themselves, I've got good enough odds that any cesarean I have will be an "emergency" one, and that I could be dealing with a premie. Odds are also good enough that I'll make it to a planned C/S date of 37 weeks {my gut's telling me that won't happen though }.

I just can't imagine having a C/S. What I've read about the procedure freaks me out to no end. Sooooo dehumanizing, and I don't see a good way around that. Chances of me completely losing it on the operating table = very good. The funny thing is, even in my non-hospital births, it didn't cross my mind for a second that anything bad would happen. I assumed it'd all go well, and it did.

What can I do for myself emotionally to prepare for this? Do they let you take tours of the hospital/NICU where they'd explain the process or anything? How much time does a doc really take with you to explain the C/S procedure? I'd be transferred to a perinatalogist soon if this doesn't resolve; I have this perception of them being all strictly business, no bedside manner. True? False?
#26 of 56 Old 02-01-2006, 11:22 AM

vasmommy--totally depends on the doc. I saw 2 and one was patronizing and horrible, and the other (who did the c/s) was great and accommodated all our requests (tell us what's happening during the birth, no woozy meds, see the baby right away, babe on my chest, etc.). he also took time to talk to us about it at an appt the day before. so be picky, if you can.
#27 of 56 Old 02-01-2006, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What can I do for myself emotionally to prepare for this? Do they let you take tours of the hospital/NICU where they'd explain the process or anything? How much time does a doc really take with you to explain the C/S procedure? I'd be transferred to a perinatalogist soon if this doesn't resolve; I have this perception of them being all strictly business, no bedside manner.
Some hospitals have special classes/tours for mamas who may need a c/s or who might be spending some time with a little one in the NICU. Even if your hospital doesn't have a specific tour, call the Labor/Delivery ward and ask what they can do for you. Many times the nurses on that ward are overworked but VERY caring people and they will do what they can to help you prepare...

It is a scary process, and even scarier when you know your little one might be in distress, so learning as much as possible might help. There is a sticky at the top of this forum that has information about cesarean recovery and planning from a natural family living perspective, so check out the links given there.

Although I don't agree with some of their assumptions, a book like "Cesarean section: understanding and celebrating your baby’s birth" by Caroline de Costa might help, and the "Birthing from Within" book can help to with the emotional side of c/s. Check out the information on the ICAN website or in Ina May's Childbirth Guide about VBACs so you'll know what sorts of sutures/incisions/etc you'll need to maximize a future vbac.

Line up a lot of support for after the baby arrives, write a birth plan that sets out what you need for the c/s to be as healthy and loving as possible, start writing your fears or concerns out in a journal or meditating on the birth to prepare emotionally, read through all these cesarean threads for ideas and support, and hang in there!

#28 of 56 Old 02-01-2006, 01:43 PM

Thanks! I checked out the links in the stickied thread last night. The UK one was good, but I wasn't sure how much of that applied to the U.S. hospital experience.

I don't think I get much of a say in incision types. Most of what I read says with placenta previa they favor a classical incision to avoid cutting along the placenta. This is my last birth anyway, so no matter to me. Well, not true. I mean I still want as easy/safe a process as possible.....but if I end up with complications or a hysterectomy it won't be as devastating as it would be to someone who had wanted more children yet, kwim?

Oh -- another question. I was reading about having a doula for a C/S. My MW has offerred to doula for me in the event I have to transfer out of her care, but I didn't (well, I still don't) understand what she would do? I'll have my mom and my dh there for support. My dad will probably watch the other kids either at the hospital or at home. Would my MW maybe know more about the whole C/S process that she'd be an asset in that way?

Mamabeth, I fear I won't have time to be choosy about docs. If I don't end up on hospital bedrest, I can probably test a few out. But if I'm stuck in the hospital, I fear I'm pretty much at the mercy of whoever I already have lined up or whoever's on call. Then again, the OB I'm seeing now is pro-homebirth so hopingly he'd match me with a perinatalogist which leans more my way......if such a thing exists.
#29 of 56 Old 02-01-2006, 01:53 PM

Vasmommy, I think having your midwife as a doula is a good idea. My mw stayed with me for my c-section, and it made me feel safer that there was someone with me during the section that "knew" what was supposed to be happening and watching, in contrast to DH & me, who were more emotionally involved and unknowledgeable about medical procedures.

I had a c-section almost 6 weeks ago after a vaginal birth and wish that I had been more prepared. I think the links on the sticky post are about as good as any book I've read. I do wish I'd read Silent Knife beforehand. I have also read The Essential C-Section Guide, but I didn't think it really gave any new information.

I also wish I'd made a c-section birth plan..I wish I'd made arrangements to have more pictures made and to keep the placenta...anything to make the birth feel more natural. I read that you can even delay cord clamping, but I guess you would have to have a very cooperative ob for that. Hope everything works out, and I think you're smart to prepare now.
#30 of 56 Old 02-01-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasmommy
This may be a silly question, but is it possible to come to terms with having a cesarean if there's little you can plan for?

It's a bit premature for me to be assuming I'll have to have a cesarean, but if current issues don't resolve themselves, I've got good enough odds that any cesarean I have will be an "emergency" one, and that I could be dealing with a premie. Odds are also good enough that I'll make it to a planned C/S date of 37 weeks {my gut's telling me that won't happen though }.

I just can't imagine having a C/S. What I've read about the procedure freaks me out to no end. Sooooo dehumanizing, and I don't see a good way around that. Chances of me completely losing it on the operating table = very good. The funny thing is, even in my non-hospital births, it didn't cross my mind for a second that anything bad would happen. I assumed it'd all go well, and it did.

What can I do for myself emotionally to prepare for this? Do they let you take tours of the hospital/NICU where they'd explain the process or anything? How much time does a doc really take with you to explain the C/S procedure? I'd be transferred to a perinatalogist soon if this doesn't resolve; I have this perception of them being all strictly business, no bedside manner. True? False?
I really think you should make arrangements to take a tour and ask to see an OR. Talk to the lactation specialist before hand and also ask to see the NICU. Since you are at risk of having a preemie or a baby with problems, they are likely to accomadate you.
My first csection was an emergency. I was very unprepared and had read nothing but how awful they were. I did have a horrific experience but my last two cesareans were not. (my birthplan is in the above pinned thread) I took the time with my two OBs to discuss the c/s procedures and how long it took each of them to do them. I also wanted to discuss closure/repair of the incision and pain relief options. Definitely discuss these things BEFORE they happen. Also type them up and carry them with you in your hospital bag, giving a copy to your doctor and husband as well.
Some peri's are great, but many think they are little gods. If you have a sick baby, you often have to look over their attitudes. Don't feel intimidated and don't let them "rush" you.
You can make a cesarean birth a good one, but it will take a special doctor and an open mind and heart to often achieve them. In the case of an emergency though, unfortunately many things are left out of our control. You most likely be put under GA. If that is the case, discuss your recovery period and what will happen with your husband and doctor before hand.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page