ladies who went "overdue"...(41+wks.) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 01-28-2006, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm working on a theory. If you went more than 41 weeks (for my purposes ) How was your labor? Was it long? Painful? Also, how far along were you?

My theory is that "late" births are quite a bit faster and less painful than "on time" births. (this is probably to make me feel better I'm 42 wks. + 3 days and have been having contraxs for over a week) Mainly because both mom's and baby's bodies are so ready.

thoughts?
thanks!
Mel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 61 Old 01-28-2006, 10:58 PM

I went to 42 weeks with my first son. My labor was 4 hours long! What I loved was how "done" he seemed. He was strong and nursed like a champ. I hope you have a fantatic labor. Give your little beauty a snuggle for me!!!

:
#3 of 61 Old 01-29-2006, 12:56 AM

Would be true for me. Not so sure about less painful though. My easiest was the only one that was early - 2 lbs. smaller than the others, slightly longer labor. My first was 10 days overdue and a 4 hr labor.
#4 of 61 Old 01-29-2006, 01:09 AM

15 days "past due" w/DS1. 10 hours from 1st contrx to baby out, 6 hrs active labor. Pretty good, I'd say. DS2 was one day early according to ovulation (6 days past due according to LMP) and labor was 4 1/2 hours from first contrx, 2 1/2 hours active labor.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#5 of 61 Old 01-29-2006, 01:47 AM

I'm sure someone will eventually post and kill our buzz here, but I've had this theory for awhile. My first was 40w6d and actually induced because my BP was topping out. Scary, but the labor was only 6 hours from first drip of pit to delivered... painful because of the double and triple peak ctx (thank you pit), but not intolerable... no epi. My second was 41w1d and completely natural... just under 3.5 hours from first ctx to delivered! Woohoo!

Darci

Raising our babies: 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012
#6 of 61 Old 01-29-2006, 03:56 AM

My 2nd baby was born at 41 weeks. The labor and birth were amazing, graceful, uncomplicated, ahhhh! A truly devine experience.

I labored for a few hours walking around the neighborhood in early labor w/ my toddler & DH. Then had about 3 hours of fairly intense contractions-not too bad really! The birth happened quite quickly and calmly.

I feel like it had more to do with memory of the last experience. First baby was "on-time", but I had so much pain from fear of the unknown. The second birth was a breeze because I taught myself to relax and meditate on Opening up.

I didn't feel like going past my EDD was a factor on my happy and serene 2nd birth experience. It was all about concentration, focus, and peace.
#7 of 61 Old 01-29-2006, 04:12 AM

My ds2, third baby, was 1 1/2 weeks late. Active labor was less than 4 hours.
#8 of 61 Old 01-29-2006, 04:17 AM

15 days over due - 12 hours of hard, horrible back labor.. ended up with an emergency csection.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#9 of 61 Old 01-29-2006, 09:55 AM

According to the US, ds was due 6/28. According to my charting, 7/5. He was born 7/10 after 24 hours of painful back labor including 5 hours of pushing.

Just because there are exceptions, though, doesn't mean that the premise is incorrect. There is an exception for everything. So even though my birth doesn't fit with the original premise, I still say I rather agree with it.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#10 of 61 Old 01-29-2006, 10:22 AM

DD was 12 days late, labor was 14 hours and super intense. After 5 hours of painful contrax, I was only dilated to 1 cm. Despite being late, I don't think my body had done any preparation. However, dd was a pretty advanced baby!
#11 of 61 Old 01-29-2006, 03:08 PM

DD was 10 days overdue when my waters broke - had a 12 hour labour - all managed without drugs, so I guess my body was well prepared and ready! She is my first (expecting again in 7 weeks) and was a big girl - 9lb 1oz

Dee
x
#12 of 61 Old 01-29-2006, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
With my first I was 2 weeks late, and my labor was "humm..." I will spare you ... It was long, started at Sat night at 6pm and went until monday at 12:01 pm when DD was born, I will say my "Hard" labor was only about 12 hours and most of that I personaly feel was my fear of trying an UC never having a baby before.

My second was born on her due date and she was mabye 4 hours, and 1 hour of hard labor- but that was very easy compaired to my first baby!

ETA: both of my births were also drug free!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#13 of 61 Old 01-29-2006, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll support your theory
Dd was born at 41 weeks and labour was great...16 hours long, w/about 8 intense hours, natural, empowering, even ecstatic homebirth! (still painful, but pretty great! )
#14 of 61 Old 01-29-2006, 04:14 PM

#1 was 39wks 1 day, 17 hrs labor & push total, all natural at a free standing BC w/ MW. 7lbs 3ozs. Bradley.

#2 was 38wks 1 day, 3 hrs total labor & push, all natural at same BC with same MW. 8 lbs 2 ozs.

#3 was 5 yrs later 41wks 1 day! 6 hrs labor and 3 pushes, all natural at same BC with same MW. 9lbs 5 ozs.

I musy say #2 was easiest, she also had the biggest head. #3 i squatted out, most empowering! I will also add that a well cooked baby is by far the best, I'm glad he stayed in as long as he did, not that i had problems with the others, he just seems more sturdy somehow, more mellow too, can't really put it into words.
#15 of 61 Old 01-29-2006, 04:31 PM

Baby #2 was +12 days. My fastest labor, from water breaking to baby was less than 5 hours.
Baby #3 was +8 days. My easiest labor, but not the shortest. I didn't push at all. Once my water bag fully broke, I had a babe in less than an hour
Baby #4 was +8 days, my biggest babe by a full pound and my toughest labor. I pushed for over 2 hours, shoulder sytocia, etc. If he had weighed what my #3 babe did, maybe a whole different story.

Dates are post due date not post 41 weeks.
#16 of 61 Old 01-29-2006, 04:41 PM

41 weeks 6 days (13 days overdue), I had 48 hours of labour, stalled at 6cm, but with a lot of support from my midwife and birth helpers, I had a natural birth. My daughters Apgars were 9 and 9. I remember it as a wild and very cool experience.
#17 of 61 Old 01-29-2006, 06:13 PM

nak
har...i was hoping for the same theory...

i went 18 days overdue with my second, still had a 14 hour labor. it was just right for me though, it was perfect in fact. homebirth, birthtub, very chill atmosphere. i felt much less stressed during labor because i felt like, thank goodness it's FINALLY happening!
#18 of 61 Old 01-29-2006, 06:28 PM

Depending on which due date I used (yes I had many...three actually....idiot doctors! ) I was anywhere from 41 weeks to 43 weeks when I had DD. Based off of my calculations it was closer to 42 (I'm not sure how I figured my due date but it was the exact same one on the second ultrasound we had...the one AFTER I figured it out, yeah. I'm good ).

My labour was fast I think. 14 hours from start to finish. I did take castor oil though. We were planning a UC and the pressure was mounting. DH was threatening to take me in to see a doctor and knowing they would strap me to a bed and keep me there I drank the stuff! As a result I'm betting it was more painful than it would have been had I waited. To top it off DD was face up (which I think it because I used the castor oil. Had I waited she would have had time to spin kwim?) so my pain level was a bit high.

Interesting theory you have though.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#19 of 61 Old 01-29-2006, 07:00 PM

41 weeks 2 days Labor was 31 hours. Not super painful, but I didn't sleep at all so I was TIRED.

-Angela
#20 of 61 Old 01-29-2006, 07:03 PM

All my labors where short IMO and easy.
First dd was on time and 5 hours
Second was one week late and around 5 hours
Third was 3 weeks late and about an hour.
#21 of 61 Old 01-29-2006, 07:31 PM

Theory doesn't work for me. My ds was born at 43 weeks; labor was 21 hours long and much more painful than my labor with dd (who was born at 40 weeks).
#22 of 61 Old 01-30-2006, 03:16 PM

Wow! What an interesting theory. My mother went 15 days late with all four of us. I, being the first, took about 10 hours. My brothers and sisters all came in two hours or less from start to finish.

I also went 15 days late with my daughter, but it took 29 hours total.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#23 of 61 Old 01-30-2006, 03:43 PM

Before dd was born, I was hoping this theory would prove true for me. My mom went super late with both me and my sister (43+ weeks) and had QUICK labors. Mine however did not turn out that way - dd (#1) was 12 days past edd, 56 hours of labor and ds was 17 days past and 13 hours BUT both of them were positioned quite poorly...so who knows. I still think it's a great theory.
#24 of 61 Old 01-30-2006, 04:26 PM

my son was born on time and "easy." thank you bradley method. even when i got close to my due date there was a tremendous amount of pressure to discuss an induction date etc. lots of people were calling my house trying to find out how dialated i was. like i knew ha!

anyway, do you think it is bad to fib your due date by a few days. i think a few days would take some pressure off. i think 2 weeks would be too much in case the baby came early. hopefully i want have any problems and i can ditch the u/s this time.

edited to add: he was a fussy baby, not colicky but very particluar and prone to meltdowns
#25 of 61 Old 01-30-2006, 04:32 PM

Both kids were over 41 weeks. First was 24 hours of labor, I guess about 8 hours of active labor to full dilation. Second was a short daytime labor, easy labor in the morning, had him mid-afternoon.
#26 of 61 Old 01-30-2006, 06:32 PM

i gave birth (unmedicated) 41 wk 4 days post due... 24 hours of labor +2 additional hours of pushing... it was long but manageable.
#27 of 61 Old 01-30-2006, 06:40 PM

Mine was born at 42 weeks and the labor was very fast. Labored a few hours at home, and reached the hospital when I was 8 cm (at my checkup the day before I had been 2---I had no clue I was already 8, imagine my surprise and joy!), and the baby was born an hour & a half later. the midwife rushed from another woman in labor at another hospital, and when she arrived she told me I was 10 cm---the baby was born 20 minutes later.

At the time I was so impatient for the baby to come! Every passing day seemed like an eternity. But I would trade waiting 42+ weeks for a quick labor any time. I was blessed to have had such a wonderful birth experience.

Interestingly, my mom had 6 kids, and we were all born between 41-43 weeks, and all of her labors were fast. I think her longest was 4-5 hours. Her shortest came as soon as she reached the hospital, with my dad yelling for a doctor to come, his wife was pushing! Maybe your theory is right.

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
#28 of 61 Old 01-30-2006, 07:01 PM

41 weeks and 1 day
labour from first ctx to babe in arms was 40 *minutes*
painful?? Ummmmm....not sure, happened too fast

(fwiw, it was 9 ctx total)

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#29 of 61 Old 01-30-2006, 10:42 PM

41w1d
36 hours of labor
including 4+ hours of pushing
homebirth
lots of braxton-hicks throughout my pregnancy from about 21 weeks on, but no prodromal or practice labor in the late weeks until i started feeling crampy, having loose stools and losing my mucous plug the afternoon before my labor began.

now i suspect that he was positioned slightly off, but there were no physical indications of malpositioning immediately after birth and there was no moment of "shifting" that i've heard some women experience with malpositioned babies.

so it doesn't fit your theory, but as someone else mentioned, just because some experiences don't fit your theory doesn't disprove the theory.

someday when i'm rich beyond my wildest dreams, my research foundation that i want to create will do just this kind of research...

~claudia
#30 of 61 Old 01-30-2006, 10:46 PM

I went to 41 weeks, 4 days. My labor was a total of 28.5 hours. Transition was incredibly painful and crazy and difficult. Probably 13-14 hours of my labor was active labor.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page