Things that hurt worse than labor - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
well in many ways I think of this kind of pain as different than other pain, so it doesn't feel the same to me.
but pain that is memorable to me that has hurt unrelentingly -- many forms of tooth pain- abscess , exposed nerve, broken tooth, having the left over parts of teeth removed and taking pain meds.

broken bones

kidney stones- only because it doesn't come in waves like contractions -
add to it an infection

severe intestinal illness

for me migraines don't hurt worse

there are things that are far more painful emotionally- like when DH had a stroke a few years ago, it was so painful that my heart felt like it was being torn in half
#62 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
in 1991(i was 24) i had major spinal surgery. i had 4 discs removed, replaced with bone from my hip and then a 2nd surgery to put in a rod 4 days later. (very severe scoliosis). i remember coming out of surgery after my anethesia wore off, but they didn't have the pain medicine ready. that was awful. even the nurse was crying. and then my family and friends would get a few minute visit and i'd try to smile acting like all was well. but what was worse was that night. i was on a morphine drip by then (not yet a PCA), but it was certainly not enough. i was too shy to say anything and suffered silently all night. i was afraid to go to sleep thinking i'd never wake again that's how bad i hurt. but, i distinctly remember thinking that childbirth would be easy if i ever made it thru the night.
i had an amazing recovery though
when i became pregnant 8 yrs later, i knew that the pain of childbirth would be nothing to fear. i understood the difference between a natural pain and an unnatural pain (being cut into, having body parts moved around). there would be no comparison in my mind. what i was going to do when the baby got here frightened me more (had absolutely no baby experience)
contractions hurt, yes, but just when you think you can't handle it, it's over. and the euphoria at the instant of birth is out of this world! you go from thinking is this going to end one moment to wow, i can't wait to do this again the next!

another more painful... i scratched my cornea back in sept. that really hurt! 36 hours of agony with no escape. didn't find out until later i could have gone to ER and had some pain eye drops put into my eye to give me instant relief. next time i'll know better.
#63 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilushka
I agree. In fact that's what I'm least looking forward to this time if it happens again-- puking out all the contents of my stomach! I'm hoping having a drug free labor this time will make some difference to at least the quantity of vomiting even if I can't avoid it all together.
I have been through labor five times, and the ONLY time I have ever puked during labor was when I was given a shot of demerol (against my wishes! ).

All the other times I had no puking. With #4, I had some mild nausea, but it passed after a minute or two. Maybe I just have a high tolerance for nausea? I rarely get sick during early pregnancy either.

Kathryn
#64 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 12:26 PM

- ITA agree with Turtlemama: a ruptured ovarian cyst is WAY more painful

- a spastic gallbladder

- Putting a pad on upside down and not realizing it until it's too late

- breaking your back

- I think about war-torn countries and all the injuries that have occurred through bombs or gunshot. That's gotta be worse!
#65 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 12:36 PM

Things that hurt more than labour?

...watching my former preemie start kindergarten

Kidding aside, 4 wisdom teeth removal. Evil, horrible pain afterward. I was out for a week and a half. They told me 2 maybe 3 days. Yeah right.

But after reading some of the worse than pain here, I'm starting to feel like a bit of a suck....
#66 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 01:10 PM

By day 5, I was in tears because my painkiller prescription was about to run out. Every trip to the bathroom was a near-screaming experience, even on the drugs.

On day 7, I finally got smart and saw the doctor again. Turns out I'd swollen so badly I'd torn all my stitches loose.

That week was easily the worst pain of my life.
#67 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat
I have been through labor five times, and the ONLY time I have ever puked during labor was when I was given a shot of demerol (against my wishes! ).

All the other times I had no puking. With #4, I had some mild nausea, but it passed after a minute or two. Maybe I just have a high tolerance for nausea? I rarely get sick during early pregnancy either.

Kathryn
I don't get sick at all during early pregnancy! Maybe it was just the drugs (pit and anesthesia-- I was puking the next day too), but I know that some people vomit during transition in drug free labors.
#68 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 01:20 PM

Another vote for gallbladder pain/attacks/gallstones. Those were absolute agony that sent me running to the emergency room.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#69 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 01:37 PM

Ok, so when I say what hurt worse than labor, I hope I don't freak out any moms planning to breastfeed....

DD was born with a thick, tight upper frenulum preventing her from latching correctly for a week after birth. The cracked, bleeding nipples and pain I felt in that week was worse than the unmedicated labor (which wasn't really that painful, just very intense work as others have said). I didn't expect bfing problems since nursing my first was a breeze and I was a bfing counselor, too! But now I have a whole new empathy for the mothers who call me with sore nipples and want to quit.

The second thing that was more painful was 3rd degree burns on my hand. I had blisters running from the knuckle on my hand to the first knuckle on my fingers and they were about a half in inch above my fingers. That was painful for a very long time.
#70 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 02:10 PM

I've had root canal work with inadequate anesthesia.

I've had migraines for most of my life.

I've had cluster headaches (headaches which make the pain of migraines look like playtime in the park).

I've had an abcessed tooth for two months.

I've had debilitating sciatica.

I've had a c-section.

I've had all kinds of painful, painful things happen to me.

And still the most painful things that have ever happened to me were having a digital block (where they inject anesthesia directly into four points in your hand to block a nerve) and the labor & vaginal delivery of my son. Even with the epidural, the amount of pain that I endured to bring him into the world was truly horrifying. It totally warped my pain scale, and now even the most powerful migraine I've ever had only gets a 7.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#71 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 02:17 PM

a kidney stone & infection came very close! i think part of it is there is no sweet little baby at the end of that awful pain!
#72 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 02:30 PM

I have had first hand experience with a thumb nail getting ripped off. Incredibly painful, much worse than having a baby naturally. Trust me, one thumb nail ripped off compared to 3 natural births= no comparison

I have had a tooth drilled that sent me through the roof. Which is odd considering I had a tooth pulled which was painless. I think the vibration is what does it. Anyway, natural birth is a breeze.

Having a block of wood bounce back after I threw it and having it kind of jamb in my thumb. Pass out kind of pain

Granted I have had short but intense labors. Don’t know if longer labor are worse.

Good thing about labor is you get a baby for all the pain My mc was painful, of course that’s 2 kinds of pain, emotional and physical. The 2 combined are awfull.
#73 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 02:38 PM

Severe back pain - I made it through four labors (the last one long and drawn out) with no drugs at all, but when my back went out I was in absolute A-G-O-N-Y and needed pharmaceutical embellishment for sure.

Dental work without anesthesia - Way worse than labor - esp when you have a scary, sadistic dentist, you're just a kid, and the SOB has forbidden your mother to be in the room.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#74 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 03:00 PM

I agree with those who have mentioned wisdom teeth removal. AND the dry socket pain that followed and the torture of having gauze packed to cover the exposed nerve endings. Gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it. That was a rough month. I only take pain relievers if I have a horrible headache, maybe once every few months, but I was literally on 800 milligrams of Advil and the occasional hydrocodone until those sockets healed. Good thing one only has to go through that once!

Angie: mama to Erika and Ani: dw to Ole:::
#75 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 03:07 PM

Kidney Stones...uuuugggghhhh
The pains you get beforing getting the s***s!!!
An idiot medwife checking your cervix...waaay worse than a ctx!
Ugh! AND... in a hospital birth (which I'll never EVER do again) whent he nurses check (AKA- PUNCH) your flabby belly to get to your freshly postpartum uterus! I was saying "Make it stop make it stop!" And this was after a cytotek induced labor, not being allowed to eat, pushing out a 9lb 10z baby and getting my nether region stitched up with no pain meds! YEEEYOTCH!
Headaches also...they just suck
And wanting to throw up when you are SO nausious, but can't....uuugggghhhh
ETA: I don't really remembe rlabor pain either. I know it hurt, it was not pleasant per se, it was intense...I love that about natural(in my case un pain medicated) labor. Time distorts itself and you remember things differently. I remember the smell of lavender and feeling my son's foot push on my ribs during a rush, it was so obviously a foot, after I'd been guessing what part was what for so many months.
#76 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 03:13 PM

Both of my kids were 24+ hour labors and they don't compare to getting stitches in my thumb....I know...pretty stilly. I cut it with the food processor right in the area with the MOST nerve endings. Let's just say that they had to give me 5 shots of novicane IN the wound and then when I got the 6 stitches I told the PA that he just should have done the stitches without any novicane because I felt them anyway

I know I'm probably not alone when I say I actually kind of enjoy labor pains...
#77 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 03:17 PM

When I was in college, I was on the fencing team. During a bout my senior year, I lunged forward attacking my opponit, and my knee hyper extended and snapped backwards. Three weeks later, when I tried to fence again, it happened again. I remember writhing on the floor thinking that "having a baby could not hurt as bad as this."

A year later, I was running up a flight of wooden stairs. The wood gave in, my foot fell through the stairs and my leg twisted at the knee (same leg as above) as I fell forward, bounced off the stairs and fell backwards, my leg suck in the stair up to the middle of my shin. As my knee twisted under my weight, and I felt my spine hit the stairs, I thought, "having a baby won't hurt as much as this."

Three months later, after reconstructive surgery (pre arthroscopic, I have 2 6 inch long scars) I was lying on my stomach the mat during a physical therapy session. The therapist was bending my leg, helping me to regain my flexibility. I remember pounding my fists on the mat yelling in pain, thinking that "this will be the worse pain in my life, having children won't be like this."

I was soooo wrong

However, I did have 3 babies, with no pain meds at all

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#78 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencemama

Being run over by a train?

Really, I think having my wisdom teeth out was worse in many ways. I was numb but awake. Knowing that they were grinding away at my jawbone was extremely distressing to me. And afterwards the pain meds made me sick. I wasn't back on my feet for about 3 days. (By comparison, a few hours after giving birth I felt like a million bucks! Wheee...adrenaline high!)
NO way! I thought it was extremely cool that I could hear him ripping out my teeth. Whatever they gavemewas some pretty strong stuff. I laughed all the way home, and slept for 3 days.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#79 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Banned

I cannot imagine anything more painful than spending 3 hours pushing out a 6 pound, 17 inch human who was positioned sideways with her head leaning mostly on my tailbone, breaking my tailbone in several places en route, and causing 4th degree tearing. Well, maybe if she had been a 10 pounder it may have hurt more. I don't even want to consider that possibility.
#80 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boongirl
I cannot imagine anything more painful than spending 3 hours pushing out a 6 pound, 17 inch human who was positioned sideways with her head leaning mostly on my tailbone, breaking my tailbone in several places en route, and causing 4th degree tearing. Well, maybe if she had been a 10 pounder it may have hurt more. I don't even want to consider that possibility.
Umm... if her head broke your tailbone, doesn't that mean you were lying back ON your tailbone? Correct me if I'm drawing a false conclusion from this statement.

Giving birth lying on your back is an UN-natural position. It causes you to work against gravity and against the way your body is put together. It hurts like heck, and increases the risk of injuries such as broken tailbones, and pubic symphisis (sp?) problems (trouble with the ligament in the front of your pelvis that holds the two sides together). Giving birth in a squat, side-lying position, or hands and knees allows your pelvis and tailbone to work the way they're supposed to, and affords the greatest amount of room for the baby.

Lying on your back affords the greatest view for the doctor, but has no advantages for the mother in most cases.

Kathryn
#81 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 07:45 PM

#82 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 08:23 PM

fwiw, i had a long (24hours) pitocin-induced labour with my first, and a 40 *minute* (unplanned) unassisted homebirth with my second

though the pit was HORRENDOUS...it doesnt come close to:

-sciatica pain

-TMJ pain that leaves me sobbing in a room rocking back and forth literaly making me feel i'll be driven to insanity with its piercing stabbing knife in the head pain. oh my ...talk about wanting to die :

-tooth infection...especially when the infection goes DEEP intothe gumline, spreads to the jaw, ear, throat and reaches the brain

give me pitocin anyday ( and NO i'm not advocating induction . YUCK) rather than endure even a minute of those other 3

oh and p.s. the stitches i got after my 2nd hurt WAY worse than labour. uNBELIEVABLE ..and that was *with* a shot of lidocaine..i cant even imagine if they didnt do the shot

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#83 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 08:47 PM

One more vote for gallstones. I'd take a MONTH of active labor over 1 minute of that pain again. Ugh!
#84 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 08:56 PM

Gallstones. Oh, god, yes. I had to have an emergency gallbladder removal when my DS was about a month, so I was in a very good place to compare. It's the only time I can think of where you can have a surgeon rip your belly open and remove something and still feel 100% better the second you come out of surgery. That HURT.

Also, when I was about 18 I was helping my mother move furniture and got the edge caught under my toenail. Not only did it rip the nail up, but peices of my gignatic fuzzy wool socks got caught under the nail on it's way down. I had to go to the ER to have them removed which is STILL, even after unmedicated childbirth and a five day unremitting gallstone attack, by far the most painful experience of my life. I totally understand why toenail removal was a medieval torture device... I was screaming and puking and begging them to stop before they were done.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#85 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 09:01 PM

I'm so lucky that I haven't had any gallstones, dental work, kidney stones or anything icky like anyone has described. I have had 2 natural births though!!!!

I have to admit I'm the BIGGEST wimp when it comes to pain (and being cold). I'll scream for an epidural when I stub my toe (which I find VERY painful but probably because it's more annoying than anything else), but childbirth is fine for me. Maybe it's because when I stub my toe, all I get is a very sore body part. When I have a baby, it's pain with a purpose and I get a beautiful baby out of it all!!!!

So for me, slamming fingers and stubbing toes hurts worse than childbirth.
#86 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 10:18 PM

Pit labour is worse than labour - by a long way
Abcess from broken teeth close to that
DVT from ankle to groin and leg growing more purple by the minute is also right up there.

Labour is lovely because there is a beautiful end in sight. My mum told me this when I was expecting ds1 and it did keep me going. The afterpains after no3 were something else though!
#87 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere
the stitches i got after my 2nd hurt WAY worse than labour. uNBELIEVABLE ..and that was *with* a shot of lidocaine..i cant even imagine if they didnt do the shot
:
2nd degree tear, 2 shots of lidocaine, 2 stitch kits. WAY worse than anything else.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#88 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma
:
2nd degree tear, 2 shots of lidocaine, 2 stitch kits. WAY worse than anything else.
OMG yes!! I was cut 4th degree, right through all the muscles and nerves. The last few stitches were NOT numbed. I screamed and screamed. Holy hell.
#89 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemama77
Ruptured ovarian cysts. I can definitely say that those hurt way worse than labor. Well, maybe not worse, but they hurt in a way that there's not a whole lot you can do, whereas labor hurts in a purposeful way.
YES! They are VERY painful. No wonder I was able to have a natural childbirth so easily! After 4 ruptured cysts and then one big kidney stone at 8 mos preg, labor was a breeze.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#90 of 156 Old 02-14-2006, 11:37 PM

I've passed kidney stones twice and worked thru the pain, didn't even miss work! So I thought I wouldn't mind labor and childbirth. And it was ok for me, I was smiling and chatting through contractions and up till it was time to push.

But I developed e. coli (causing hemmoraghic colitis) 24 hours after my birthing. I thought I was going to DIE. The pain was incredible and I can't imagine anything more painful.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page