Things that hurt worse than labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, before I had my baby, I was really nervous about labor. Everyone said it was the worst pain of their life. I had no idea how bad the pain would be, and if I would be able to handle it or not. But after she was born, I felt that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Now, mind you, I didn't have a painless labor. It HURT! But it's not the worst pain I can imagine, either. So, I started thinking about things that could hurt worse than going through labor.

Electro shock therapy
Thumb screws
Being drawn and quartered
A root canal without drugs
Crucifixion

So, do you have anything to add to the list?

(It's supposed to be a lil lighthearted )
#2 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 03:49 PM

The kidney stone I had 6 weeks postpartum hurt WAY worse than the natural childbirth of my son. I joked with the ER staff "Now can I have an epidural?"

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#3 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 03:59 PM

Being run over by a train?

Really, I think having my wisdom teeth out was worse in many ways. I was numb but awake. Knowing that they were grinding away at my jawbone was extremely distressing to me. And afterwards the pain meds made me sick. I wasn't back on my feet for about 3 days. (By comparison, a few hours after giving birth I felt like a million bucks! Wheee...adrenaline high!)
#4 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 04:00 PM

Migraine headache I got from drinking a diet soda (I didn't realize the pitcher had diet in it until later!) that lasted two days.

Pulled muscle in my neck/shoulder... I could barely stand up the pain was so bad.

A broken bone... I've never had one, but from what I've heard and from watching my DS with an incredible pain tolerance go through it, that would hurt worse.

Great thread topic!

Kathryn
#5 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 04:02 PM

Ya know, I cannot remember what labor felt like! I had 25 hours of "real labor," about 10 or "hard" labor, and weeks of prodromal labor. I cannot remember what any of it felt like! I know that it hurt, because I had to really focus through it or else I would start crying. I told DH I couldn't do it a couple times, but looking back on it I really can't remember the pain! So, I can't add to you list, Persephone!

Now, things that hurt less than the pain caused by a c-section...
#6 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 04:05 PM

Ruptured ovarian cysts. I can definitely say that those hurt way worse than labor. Well, maybe not worse, but they hurt in a way that there's not a whole lot you can do, whereas labor hurts in a purposeful way.
#7 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Banned

It sucks that so many women falsely believe they are feeling pain, when in fact they are feeling their body work/labor.

That is not to say that women do not feel pain, as I have had back labor with two, and that was friggin' painful. But the labor itself, was just really hard work. Like trying to run 100 miles without stopping, kwim?
The more fit you are and the more endurance your body is used to, the "easier" it is to labor without getting tired.
#8 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 04:08 PM

My horse jumping ON me and dragging me down the 100 feet of gravel driveway. That hurt like hell. Picture Scooby and Shaggy. I'm Shaggy in this scenario and my horse Lucy is Scooby. A cat jumped on her back and she jumped on me, knocked me over, ran over me and dragged me through gravel. I should have let go, eh? That hurt so much more than my c-section recovery.
#9 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 04:11 PM

Heck, the cervical checks in themselves were worse than anything in my labor other than the last few transition contrax.

I also suffered a fairly major upper back injury shortly after my daughter's birth, and some of the pain I suffered during that process was definitely worse than any stage of labor.

However, we can't discount those women who have had excruciating labors for whatever reason-- I think it probably sometimes is the worst.
#10 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 04:13 PM

Ugh, I'd have to second getting my wisdom teeth pulled while awake. It was almost ten years before I could go to a dentist again after that, I was so traumatized.

Also I'd add the plugged duct that abcessed that I got when dd was three weeks old. I ended up needed to have it surgically removed, and the needle of novocaine injected into my infected engorged breast is probably the most painful thing that has ever happened to me. It was funny though, I had my dd w/me, and so all the nurses were asking about the birth, and nobody could believe that I had an almost ten lb baby at home w/no drugs. I so wanted to tell them on my way out that labor was nothing compared to those numbing shots.
#11 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 04:16 PM

stubbing my toe- THAT HURTS!!!
A recent one-cutting my tumb while slicing my raw soap. Lye in an open wound holy CRICKEYS!!That hurt all day!
oral work. Surgery etc. WAY WORSE than any of my labours!
#12 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 04:23 PM

a slipped and buldging disc (S5-L1) aka throwing my back out. THAT was pain. Shooting down my right leg, from the pinching of my sciatic nerve. I would give birth 100 times over than to experience that again.
I think the difference is that back pain never seems to end, and labor does have a conclusion- birth!

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#13 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Kidney stones WAY so much worse than natural childbirth. I'd rather have four babies than deal with that pain again.
#14 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 04:28 PM

:
#15 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 04:43 PM

Migraines. Illness from food poisoning. Bad burns.
#16 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 04:47 PM

Apparently DH's shoulder surgery hurt way worse than labour as he whined for a week afterwards. I don't recall whining for a week after I gave birth...

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#17 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Banned

I had Pit induced dry contractions with my twins, so that was some major pain. I've never had a vaginal birth so I can't compare anything to actually pushing the baby out.

These things hurt even more than contractions:
--Migraines
--Ear Infections
--Toothaches-especially when my wisdom teeth decide to pop through my gums, then go back in. OUCH.
--Trying to poop after being constipated for a week.
--Smashing my fingers in the door.

Non Physical Pain:
--Having my son die-much worse than any labor pain.
#18 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 05:15 PM

The cramping pain of trying to pass a clot following my miscarriage definitely hurt worse than labor pains but it was (thankfully) much shorter.

I had back pain due to nerve damage from the epidural that left me completely immobilized for days. That hurt wayyyy more than labor. I had a c-section and that back pain hurt worse than recovering from the c-s. I remember thinking that I would just do the "20 minute slide" to get out of bed to go to the bathroom while I was having back pain just like I did with my c-section. Didn't work. I've never screamed and cried so much from pain in my entire life.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#19 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 05:16 PM

Putting liquid Band-aid on a really deep cut. OMG I thought I was going to pass out from the pain right there. That was not the smartest thing I've ever done.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#20 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 05:19 PM

I have to say a tooth that became abcessed was the most excruciating pain in the world. I was taking five advil and it did nothing. That was bad, vicodin did not touch it. That was worse than childbirth.
#21 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 05:30 PM

C-section with inadequate anesthesia. Much more likely to give you PTSD and PPD than labor too.
#22 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 05:36 PM

When I was pg, I was very confident about having a natural childbirth. I knew it would hurt, but I thought that with coping strategies I would be fine. My dd was sunny side up and boy was I in for a surprise! I was in agony. I begged for an epidural and I have a crooked spine so nobody felt comfortable giving me one. Finally, when I was between 7 and 8 cm an experienced anesthesiologist came in and gave me one. I am totally anti C-section unless mother and baby are in danger and I was begging for one if I didn't get the epi. After going through that I can honestly say that I can't imagine anything more painful. It was pure torture.
#23 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 05:44 PM

Everyone's labor is different, but based on my 3 experiences (and other pain I have experienced) these three things are worse:

-gall stones (or more accurately gall bladder attacks)
-hip dislocation
-food poisoning
#24 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 06:01 PM

I agree with kidney stones being worse than labor! That was the worst pain of my life.

Noelia- mama to 4
#25 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 06:05 PM

Huh. Maybe I've just led a charmed life, but absolutely nothing I've ever experienced has been more painful than childbirth.
#26 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 06:29 PM

This isn't painful but I would rather go through labor four times (and it HURT!) than vomit. I hate to throw up.
#27 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 06:34 PM

For me:

Migraines
true food poisoning
any shot or blood draw
mastitis
#28 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 06:36 PM

Well, labor was pretty crazy painful, but when I was a teenager I had to have my nose cauterized because of terrible nosebleeds (like, end up in the hospital with 5 feet of gauze packed into my nostrils to stop the bleeding terrible, over and over again).

Essentially, cauterization is when they burn the inside of your nose to form scar tissue over the sensitive tissue to deter future nosebleeds. OMG! I will never forget that pain - I lay in my bed in absolute agony for a day afterwards. (And I STILL get the occasional nosebleed.)

Somebody mentioned broken bones - I have had several (some of which required surgery and pins to mend) and for me none ranked on the pain meter anywhere close to either cauterization or childbirth. Yikes!

Mama to 2 mopheaded rascals
#29 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 06:51 PM

pinched neck nerves
leg cramps
PUPPPs rash
back nerve pain

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#30 of 156 Old 02-13-2006, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Urinary tract infection. We originally thought it was preterm labor and after 2 completely drug free labors I was begging for the epidural withing 10 minutes of arriving at the hospital. They did offer me some mighty fine drugs. but with the promise of relief in sight I opted not to. That was far and away the most painful thing I have every experianced.

i have had menstral cramps worse than labor. But withuot a doubt they were not your ordinary cramps.

I bruised the area between my bone and muscle. can't remember what it was called but it still makes me want to throw up a little when I think about how much it hurt.

And I had back labor. :

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page