you can't eat during labour?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 02-24-2006, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amydidit
Such a stupid rule. So, JUST IN CASE, you need an emergency section you aren't supposed to eat, right? Well, what if you're 36 weeks along and have an emergency (can't think of what) that requires an emergency section... oh no!!! You weren't in labor so you didn't know not to eat! Uh oh! So, should pregnant women stop eating in the third trimester, just in case???
~rolls eyes~
Actually they might do what the : nurse did to me when I had to go back into surgery following a tonsillectomy that bled. I obviously didn't know that morning that I'd be back under general when my throat began bleeding, so when they administered the IV, the nurse was *nice* enough to press her thumb against my esophogus, basically pinching it off, so incase I vomitted, it would stay in my digestive track and not enter my larynx. Grrr ... it hurt and felt like I was being choked!

ETA: And yep, I wasn't allowed to eat with either boy (both hospital births) though with ds#2 I was only there for about 50 minutes before I started pushing and honestly didn't eat all day at home because I couldn't fathom the thought of it. With ds#1 though I was there about 5 hours before pushing and was given ice chips only. I remember asking my fil to go get me breakfast as soon as ds was born; I was starving!

I'm looking forward to my homebirth - no stupid rules like that to "follow".

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#32 of 50 Old 02-24-2006, 11:20 AM

Do you that you can still aspirate on your stomach acid if you didn't eat and had to for some reason have an emergency C-Section under general anesthesia?

It is a "rule" at our hospitals too but the nurses will turn a blind eye if you bring/eat food.

As for me, I homebirth but I never really wanted to eat much in labour. I couple pieces of fruit and that's it. After my DD was born I was told not to eat by my midwives because it looked like I might need surgery. DD was born at 2:30pm and it was near midnight when they *the OBs...I was transferred after the birth* decided I wouldn't need surgery. We couldn't find food at that hour and the next morning they brought me a liquid diet...******AHG*****

Katrina
#33 of 50 Old 02-24-2006, 11:28 AM

I knew they wouldn't let me eat at the hospital where I had dd (we're using a different birthing center this time) so when my water broke, I sat down w/ a big bowl of soy ice cream & strawberries because I had been looking forward to it & knew I wouldn't get to eat for awhile . I wasn't having any serious/regular contractions at that point, so I figured, why not?

The birthing center we are using this time is pretty liberal about eating during labor - they recommend you keep it light, but they don't forbid you from eating.
#34 of 50 Old 02-24-2006, 11:29 AM

I was in labor for 37 hours total. THIRTY SEVEN. I'd like to have seen someone try to keep me from eating.

Of course, I HB'd with a fantabulous mw, so there was no issue. But, really; I'd like to have seen someone TRY.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#35 of 50 Old 02-24-2006, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That's the rule where we gave birth, too. BUT, I also birthed with midwives who said, "so, you bring a canvas bag or a backpack that can't be seen through...here's what we suggest you pack(easily digestible, high energy foods). If anyone sees you eating, you tell them you're my patient and I ok'd it, but they should already know that and not say anything."

As it was, I got to the hospital well into active labor (at min of 6.5 cm), and I had eaten plenty at home...wasn't in the mood for snacking any more either time. I did drink water and gatorade all the way through both labors and births, even at the hospital. And not even the intake nurse blinked an eye. Here's something I've learned from spending a lot of time in hospitals, though. If you act like it's perfectly natural and allowed, the staff tends to believe it's so...Not everywhere, of course, but I tend to act first (as long as I know it's evidence based and safe), beg apology (or not) later!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#36 of 50 Old 02-24-2006, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpolzin
But they do know why...because their doctors said so!
Excellent point.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#37 of 50 Old 02-24-2006, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryOne
It's pretty much standard all over the world, that you aren't allowed more that fluids when in labour, when I had ds 10 years ago where I had him (caribbean) allowed ice chips only.
And all my friends who were training were taught the same thing no matter where they went to med school
But see if it's standard, why was I allowed to eat when DD was born almost 9 years ago? We had food lined up on the windowsill and not one nurse mentioned at anytime that I shouldn't touch the food and shouldn't eat. I suppose they could have mentioned it to my family or my midwife who didn't bother to tell me...

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#38 of 50 Old 02-24-2006, 01:11 PM

I don't think it is standard all over the world. It is a very Western doctor thing. My midwives encouraged me to eat.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#39 of 50 Old 02-24-2006, 01:23 PM

Around here, it's the anesthesiologists' call...I was told by a midwife at my OB practice that it's outdated policy, but they don't have a say in it. Basically, if a practitioner ticks off the anesthesiologists, they might lose their hospital privileges...and there's only one hospital in town.
#40 of 50 Old 02-24-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
It's pretty much standard all over the world
Not true - it's only in America. Henci Goer has an entire chapter on why this practice is wrong (not to mention stupid) in "A Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth".
#41 of 50 Old 02-24-2006, 01:29 PM

Also, I don't know of anyone who had a nurse in the room the entire time they were in labor - I had to be hooked up to a monitor and was only checked on every hour or so (if that) because they could see the monitor readout at the nurse's station. How on earth are they going to know if you eat?
#42 of 50 Old 02-24-2006, 01:47 PM

I really think this is less of an issue around these parts (MDC) b/c we tend to be intelligent, thinking, self-evolved, motivated, informed women. (Not to be exclusive...) And if we don't get it right the first time, we tend to make up for it in later births.

Yes, some of us, myself included, have fallen prey to these stupid hospital/birth center policies. But even I in my first birth with pre-eclampsia and induction snuck some pizza. It feels better to throw up food then to dry heave is my opinion.

But, a lot of other women do not have the resources (i mean the support and information) to carry out there own wishes, or maybe even know them. The number of stories I have heard of women too tired to push the baby out... what do you expect if you haven't eaten in 12+ hours. It saddens me to no end that so many women will never know these things. Birth should be the one thing we can share and instead it is divided into those who get it and those who just don't.

The idea that there are RULES during labor???? ARgh. It just kills me.

Sorry for the rant, Informed Birth is one of my greatest passions.

Jennie Young

#43 of 50 Old 02-25-2006, 08:22 PM

I am SO glad my CNM has spent the last ten+ years "brainwashing" the hospital nurses where I am going. They not only "allow" you to eat and drink as you wish during labor, the nurses' station has takeout menus to the local restuarants that deliver to the hospital, and will supply you with the menus when asked. Pizza, anyone?

Now, that being said I've never been very hungry during labor, but afterwards I tend to be STARVING. Hmmm...what *did* they do with that placenta?

Kathryn
#44 of 50 Old 03-06-2006, 01:27 PM

Henci Goer said it, a hospitals are for surgery. You don't eat before planned surgery. They are planning on surgery, not birth.

Many of these procedures are actually harmfull. IV's dilute the hormones which baby has put into your bloodstream to create labor, so labor stops.

On your back is the worst possible position, except for the doctor.
#45 of 50 Old 03-06-2006, 01:36 PM

My first birth was at a not-particularly-progressive hospital. I sent my DH out for Vietnamese food which we ate in full view of the nurses. No one said anything to me, and when the doc came in to deliver the place stunk of take out food Tough tacos!
#46 of 50 Old 03-06-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
It's pretty much standard all over the world, that you aren't allowed more that fluids when in labour, when I had ds 10 years ago where I had him (caribbean) allowed ice chips only.
And all my friends who were training were taught the same thing no matter where they went to med school
It's not standard all over the world. You can eat whenever, whatever you want here and most countries in Europe.

There is a study that was done some time ago in the Bronx where they let a group of women eat in labour and one that didn't and there were no cases of aspiration in the group that had ate, but 2 deaths in the non-eating group. I'll have to get back to you on the article. It's not new, though.
#47 of 50 Old 03-06-2006, 02:10 PM

The only reason I ate during both my births is that the MWs wanted me to. I puked both times during transition....but for sure some the food, recharge, water etc, still made it into my body, and DEFINATELY gave me energy to get my boys out

Yeah Midwives!!!
#48 of 50 Old 03-06-2006, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpolzin
It's pretty common around here.

The reason is because they don't want you to aspirate your own vomit should you need an emergency c-section with general anesthesia.

Silly, huh? What do they do with gun shot victims and people who've ruptured their spleens from car accidents? Wait until their food is digested so they can put them under before they operate so they don't have to worry about vomit aspiration? Of course not. If it happens, they deal with it.

I think this policy is insane. Deny millions of laboring women food in labor to save how many lives each year? I'm not sure, but probably less than 1.

This is high on my "why I refuse a hospital birth" list.
Actually, they intubate you if you have a general. So, you can't aspirate your vomit. And it has also been proven that you're as or more likely to vomit on an empty stomach than a full one!

So, yes, the story at the hospital is that you can't eat 'cause they're afraid you'll choke on your vomit. The reality is that, if that happened, the anesthesiologist wasn't doing their job...'cause if you're properly intubated, there isn't really a way possible to do so. It's pretty much just keeping the status quo (they didn't always intubate), and CYA...and I think, a little bit of the power thing, too...something else that the institution can control that makes you a "patient" rather than a woman giving birth!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#49 of 50 Old 03-07-2006, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat
Now, that being said I've never been very hungry during labor, but afterwards I tend to be STARVING. Hmmm...what *did* they do with that placenta?

Kathryn
LOL! Me too! I had to make myself drink during labor (with dd I was induced but ate breakfast before I went in, with ds labor started at midnight and he was born at 4:34am) but once the baby was out I was absolutely ravenous. If my labor had gone longer I'm sure I would have had to eat for the energy.

I think giving ice chips to a laboring woman is moronic, but so are most practices regarding hospital birth.
#50 of 50 Old 03-12-2006, 02:54 PM

Pregnancy equals Sick in a hopital setting. Ok, so you may throw up. Big deal.

I know "why" they say that, but tell me this.....if you are leaving the eat all buffet where you ate more than your monies worth and you get in an accident, will they not rush you to the hospital give you a general anisthisia and operate on you??

Sarah

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page