How much Swelling is Normal after Birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2006, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a really bad experience when I had Jake. It was a very medicalized hosptial birth (which is what led me on my path to here!). It was an elective induction with pitocin and I had a very late spinal/epidural...the spinal worked, the epi didn't so I had like 25 mins of relief. Anyways Jake was also sunny side up most of the time I was pushing but as soon as he turned he came right out...I pushed for about 2 hours and it was that dreadful purple pushing (at least I felt the urge!).

Anyways about 3 hours after I had given birth I had to go pee. The nurses had told me I had to tell them the first time I had to go so they could show me how to take care of myself down there. So they help me to the bathroom and I try to sit down and can't. I was SO swollen. I mean just HUGE. The first thought I had when I looked at my labia was "elephant trunks." It's funny now but it sure wasn't then. It looked like I had a giant penis down there. The nurse saw it and quickly exclaimed, "Hey! Susan! Diana! Come here you gotta see this!" So then all the nurses, about 5 of them, were gawking at me and shaking their heads (and dh wonders why I will never go to a hospital again! talk about humiliating!). Apparently my labor nurse had forgotten to put any ice on me after I gave birth.

Would the ice have really made the big of difference? I'm really really scared it's going to happen again. I could hardly walk for days because of how swollen I was. Peeing was a nightmare and I couldn't really clean myself effectively so it was gross, esp since I bled a lot after birth. Anyways sorry for the novel...maybe I sort of had to get that experience off my chest as well.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2006, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't put ice on at all (had a strange tear that we wanted any swelling to hold together...) but I didn't swell noticeably at all. Tender, yeah. Stingy when I peed. Yeah. Swollen and odd looking? no.

to you. Mean nurses.

-Angela

User Tag List