Wisconsin Eye Ointment Law? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-10-2006, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard and read that Wisconsin requires eye ointment for newborns within one hour after birth...I cannnot find this law. Does anyone have information on where to find this law and more importantly...how to get around it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
#2 of 8 Old 03-10-2006, 02:07 PM

Unless the law has passed within the past 2 years, I don't believe that is true. I declined the eye ointment when DS was born, and no one gave me a hard time about it. Maybe try calling the Madison Birth Center to ask? I'm sure they'd have the latest info.
#3 of 8 Old 03-10-2006, 03:28 PM

They can't make you get the eye ointment. Just ask for a religious exclusion.
#4 of 8 Old 10-07-2013, 11:08 AM

Did you ever find anything out about this?  I was just told today that it is WI state law to get the erythromycin goop but I can't seem to find where this is an actual law.

#5 of 8 Old 10-08-2013, 07:23 AM

I am from WI and I have never heard that. I had a homebirth though, so maybe we were breaking the law by not dong ointment. Lol... Update us as to what you find out, I am curious.

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#6 of 8 Old 10-18-2013, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

In Ky the law technically meant they are required to offer it, you aren't required to get it. Might be the same there.

#7 of 8 Old 10-28-2013, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As of 2 years ago there was no law, and as I am 40 weeks now and intend to decline the ointment, I believe there isnt one currently... the ointment is to prevent transmission of stds... so maybe there is an exception if you have an std?? Not sure. Madison birth center had to close its doors this fall unfortunately greensad.gif
#8 of 8 Old 10-28-2013, 01:43 PM

I just wanted to update everyone.  I talked to a few midwives and it turns out it actually is a state law. What the heck?!?  Depending on the care provider...they may not push the issue.  They only get fined if someone raises a big to do about it.  You can decline still, but if they get the fine, you should be aware that the fine will be passed along to the person who declined.  I plan on going the "religion" route and getting documents notarized (any bank will do this) to say that it is against my religious beliefs to have the eye ointment - along with other things.  Safest route.  Another mom I talked to said they made her baby get the eye ointment but then they gave her a cloth to wipe it out right away.

So dumb.  I hate that a state law can dictate this!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page