Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I remember that scene!
#62 of 78 Old 04-01-2006, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
if I see another c-section on one of these TV shows for an "abnormally" large baby- who almost invariably turns out to be an average or slightly above average sized baby- I'm going to SCREAM.
word up.

Even ACOG doesn't support it. "Birth Day Live" on DHC about had me screaming the other day. Poor unsuspecting mothers believeing their OBs who tell them they "can't birth vaginally" without even trying...just by judging their height? And then baby is tiny, not "big" as predicted.

Both of my babies were over 9lbs and I tore with the first who had a regular sized head. I believe this is b/c I had the epi and was pushing per nurses orders. With number 2 he weighed the same but had a giant head (15 inches) and I pushed at my own will and had no interventions and this time NO TEAR, woo hoo!!! I was even told before hand that I'd "probably" tear in the same place as I did with number one but nope, nothing

~Erin
#63 of 78 Old 04-01-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed
I love that scene in 'Courage Under Fire' in which Meg Ryan is accidentally (sort of) shot by one of her own men during a threatened mutiny.

A sympathetic soldier cries out 'Captain! Please let me help you! You're in pain!'

She continues to hold them at bay with her rifle and calmly snarls "I gave birth to a 9 pound baby, ass****. I think I can handle it."
lol totally. esp if it was back labor eek!

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#64 of 78 Old 04-01-2006, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebsMama05
lol totally. esp if it was back labor eek!
i had back labor with both, but was induced with the first...
ow
i like to think that after induction and back labor no pain can touch me!

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#65 of 78 Old 04-01-2006, 11:25 PM

LOL! My son was 9lbs 13oz at birth with a 16"/40cm head, vaginal.

My daughter had a 14"/35cm head, and was 9lbs 4oz, born at home.

~Emily

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
#66 of 78 Old 04-03-2006, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia
LOL! My son was 9lbs 13oz at birth with a 16"/40cm head, vaginal.

My daughter had a 14"/35cm head, and was 9lbs 4oz, born at home.

~Emily
holy crap! 16"!!! Caleb's was only 14"...wowza.

maybe something is wrong with me or him but his shoulders hurt a LOT worse than his head. his chest measured nearly a full inch bigger though would that have something to do with that?

#67 of 78 Old 04-08-2006, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doula and mom
mini-vent:

I have a client who is 37 weeks and her mw just told her that she thinks the baby is already 8lbs (wtf?!?! If I had a nickel for every time a medical person suggests a baby is large, and then the baby comes out 7-8lbs, I'd be a rich woman) and that she doesn't want her to go a day past her due date.

I'm still rolling my eyes. Seriously! So what if the baby is 8lbs now? Then in 3 weeks he or she will be about 9lbs... big deal! It's not about the weight of the baby, it's about the freakin' size of the head/shoulders, which weight alone cannot predict -- not to mention the mw is just guessing based on LOOKING at my client. It's not even from a stupid u/s.

Sigh. <steps down off soapbox>
I feel for your client. Commence venting:

I'm a *fluffy* mama and saw medwives (I didn't KNOW they were medwives until later .... : ) through my pregnancy. Everything was hunky-dory until I hit 36 weeks. Then all of a sudden I had this HUGE baby inside me that I'd never be able to push out, and I needed to schedule an induction or c/s RIGHT NOW. WTF?!?! We were both perfectly healthly, with absolutely no indication of problems. They insisted that I start seeing both a mw & ob at each appointment, and when I continued to refuse induction/c/s they told me that they didn't "let" any of "their" mothers go past 40 weeks. How lovely for them. When I again refused induction/c/s, they insisted that I had to come in every other day for either a u/s or a nst (it was a 40 minute drive each way to the office). Why in the hell I didn't just fire them I'll never know.

Regardless, I fended them off and gave birth to dd -- all 10 lb. 9 oz. of her -- at 40w6d. My first words to the mw after dd was born were, "I TOLD you I could do it." I found out later that one of the l&d nurses said she'd never seen a baby that big born vaginally. Again, WTF?!?! I know she wasn't tiny, but they treated her like she was a circus freak the entire time we were in the hospital. AND, the icing on the cake: the only midwife in the practice that we *really* liked, who seemed to be so supportive of our decisions, came to see me the day after dd was born. She told me she was so proud of me ... that NO ONE IN THE ENTIRE PRACTICE BELIEVED I COULD HAVE DD VAGINALLY. I was (still am, can you tell ) furious and decided right then and there that any future babies WILL be born at home.

The system is designed to make it difficult for ALL mothers to birth the way they want, but it is especially antagonistic towards heavy women.

End venting.

I wish your client the very best. It sounds like you are integral to her having the birth she wants and deserves.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#68 of 78 Old 04-08-2006, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like to freak people out by giving some stats on babies in my practice...many first-time moms in my practice give birth to 9+lb babies. I've had an 11.5 lb baby in my practice, as well as a 13lb, a 13.6lb and an 11.6oz baby born frank breech vaginally at home.

Size is irrelevant. Most of these bigger babies sport the same size head as their smaller counterparts. 13-14" is pretty average for most babies. As one poster said, fat squishes.

Plus, it's those smaller babes that have a tendency to get in all sorts of funky positions with their hands up by their heads and posterior/asynclitic, etc.

Yeah, and the fatphobic atmosphere of most OBs/midwives is pretty severe. It's sad, really...definitely not evidence-based.
#69 of 78 Old 04-08-2006, 09:13 AM

Yeah, exactly that, pamamidwife! My babies are over 10lbs, and I've never pushed more than five times on any of my babies. In fact, my first homebirth was 10.6 and two pushes. My last entire birth was 26 minutes and a half of a push.

Your body knows what it's doing!
#70 of 78 Old 04-08-2006, 10:39 AM

A midwife said that OP,

That midwife needs a good talkin to from my midwife
She'd set her straight real quick
#71 of 78 Old 04-08-2006, 06:57 PM

I read the OP to my husband and told him that's stupid. That'd be like me looking at a guy and saying... I bet you have 5lb balls. It's ridiculous.

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#72 of 78 Old 04-09-2006, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki
I read the OP to my husband and told him that's stupid. That'd be like me looking at a guy and saying... I bet you have 5lb balls. It's ridiculous.
i totally agree.

#73 of 78 Old 04-10-2006, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki
i dont know...id think youd be able to tell by looking at a guy clothed if his testicles were anywhere near 5 lbs! dont they make bowling balls in that size?

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#74 of 78 Old 04-10-2006, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthjunkie27
my first was 6 12 (born at 36 wks)

my second was 8 12 (born at 38 wks)

my third was 9 14 (born at 41 wks)~ I was HOPING for a 10 pounder...came close!

If we have another, I'm going to work really hard for a 10 pounder! I like beating my records too.
I thought I was the only one who did this...I have secretly been hoping for a 9 pounder this time around. Kinda for some shock factor, LOL...I'm a small-boned 5 ft. 1 inch woman...I wonder if it's even possible for me??? Any tiny women here give birth to a bigger baby (9+ pounds?).

This is my 4th baby and hoping it's the biggest. My children were all born roughly the same gestation (within days of my EDD) and were 6# 15, 7#11, and 7#9. Going for at LEAST 9#5 this time....Gotta be more strict with my Brewer diet!

PS: I was going through depression with my 3rd child and barely ate. I wonder how big she'd have been had I been better about my diet.
#75 of 78 Old 04-10-2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof3Girlz
I thought I was the only one who did this...I have secretly been hoping for a 9 pounder this time around. Kinda for some shock factor, LOL...I'm a small-boned 5 ft. 1 inch woman...I wonder if it's even possible for me??? Any tiny women here give birth to a bigger baby (9+ pounds?).

You can do it! As I said above "I know this dainty woman who was barely 5 feet tall. Both of her boys were born naturally and they were both over 11 pounds." I'm really not sure this woman was even 5 feet, probably just under... she was VERY small boned... I'd be shocked if her waist was all of 22". So, it is physically possible!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#76 of 78 Old 04-11-2006, 05:10 AM

I gave birth to a 9lb 6 oz baby at home VBAC,with a 14 3/4 in head. Time from first contraction to delievery- 1hour 1 minute.
#77 of 78 Old 04-11-2006, 06:01 AM

I was told dd wasn't going to be more then 7lbs haaha hmm she was 8lbs 9oz but who cares I love chunky babies lol
#78 of 78 Old 04-11-2006, 10:21 AM

My OB is NOTORIOUS for being incredible off with weights WITH an u/s. OUr 1st was a c/s for transverse lie. 7lbs 9 oz. Our next pg I asked her how big this one was going to be since we were doing vbac. She asked how big ds1 was. I told her. She said. Oh about the same.

Well, that would have been true if he was 3 weeks early as well, but he was only 3 days from my due date. DS2 was 8lb 13 oz. Over a lb bigger. Ds3 I asked her again. Do you think this one will be as big as ds2? Oh no no way. :LOL Ds3 was born 2 days from his due date at 8lbs 10 oz. So, I think... It's entirely within the realm of possibility to have a 9 lbs baby for my 5 ft 6in usually about 120 frame.

I tell people ds 1 was a c/s. They say, oh was he too big. NO! He was the smallest one of them all!

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page