#1 of 9 Old 03-27-2006, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Surprised? I'm not.

http://www.babycenter.com/news/?id=5...606:7726#story

Note, in particular:

Quote:
The study authors speculated that the rise of cesarean sections and induced labor, as women become more focused on controlling their delivery dates, may be a part of it. But that is far from the whole picture, Green said, adding, "There's no hard data."
Quote:
Finally, Green said, "if everything is going well for a singleton pregnancy, and everything is uncomplicated, go to term. Don't deliver early, because there are consequences."
I think I'll bookmark this article for the moms who are pressured to induce early.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-27-2006, 10:45 AM

hummm...
what could be the main reason these babies are being born earlier and earlier????
Could it be medical management and unecessary interventions?
Sheesh- they start the fire, then don their firehat.

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#3 of 9 Old 03-27-2006, 11:07 AM

Ugh. If I hear one more woman ask on mainstream groups what they can do to get labor started at 38 weeks I'll scream!! And if I dare say, "wait a month", they'll act like I'M suggesting something irresponsible and dangerous!! :

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#4 of 9 Old 03-27-2006, 11:47 AM

I like the question "What can you do?" See a careprovider who doesn't think inducing at 40 weeks is a great idea and necessary at 41.

They always talk about women wanting to manage their delivery date (and sure, there are plenty of them out there-- my coworker just last week subjected me to an unsolicited rendition of his wife's elective induction at 40w, to which I could say only "I'm not getting induced"), but a lot of doctors push induction starting at 40 too.
#5 of 9 Old 03-27-2006, 05:43 PM

I don't know who's worse... I've had no less than 6 women tell me over the past month how glad they are that they are scheduling their c-sections and can get the baby out by 38 weeks
#6 of 9 Old 03-29-2006, 12:52 PM

I did my part to drive the average up - Alex was 2 full weeks "late"...

Although, this has always bugged me: How can I be fully 40 weeks pregnant if the first two weeks are from the date of my last menstrual period? I wasn't pregnant yet. The dating is from DLMP then Alex was only 40 weeks and the average is 36 weeks. How do these things get dated, anyway?
#7 of 9 Old 03-29-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhorn
I did my part to drive the average up - Alex was 2 full weeks "late"...

Although, this has always bugged me: How can I be fully 40 weeks pregnant if the first two weeks are from the date of my last menstrual period? I wasn't pregnant yet. The dating is from DLMP then Alex was only 40 weeks and the average is 36 weeks. How do these things get dated, anyway?
All my babies were late as well. I don't understand their dating system at all .

#8 of 9 Old 03-29-2006, 01:42 PM

mine was born naturally (well i went into labor by myself at any rate) 2 days before his due date at 39w5d. at least i know i'm not contributing by voluntarily going early. I hope ds2 is at least a week and preferably 2 late. this will be my last pg for awhile since i'm single now i want to enjoy and make it last as long as possible.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#9 of 9 Old 03-29-2006, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhorn
Apparently we women are too stupid to know when we ovulated so "they" count pregnancies from the first day of the last period. Who cares that many of us didn't ovulate exactly on the 14th day after menstruation began?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page