TIlted uterus = c-section?!? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 03-29-2006, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was told by 3 OBs that I have a tilted uterus and that it has no affect on getting pg, carry a babe or birth.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#32 of 47 Old 03-29-2006, 04:58 PM

my midwife told me that by 15 weeks or so tipped uteruses end up tilting back in the "normal" direction as they grow and spread. Certainly by 40 weeks they are jsut the same as anyone elses. no connection to c-section at all from what I have read. sounds like a very very ill-informed doc.
#33 of 47 Old 03-29-2006, 05:10 PM

This might be a TMI question but...

My mom has a tilted uterus and I think I do too. My mom says it made "lining everything up" for intercourse kinda tricky and sometimes painful. That's certainly been the case with dh and I and I've been blaming it on the tilted uterus the whole time. Has anyone else had this problem with a tilted uterus?

Kristi

Kristi wife to Mal , mom to Ziva (4/07) (3/08) Aliyah (1/09) and somebody new (edd 11/10). I
#34 of 47 Old 03-29-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki
That's the upside to my tilted uterus Lilyka. I don't thik I've ever needed to wear mat. clothing until I was around 16-20 weeks.
Me too! I always wondered if there was a relationship. I'm one of those women that start getting the "congratulations, you're pregnant" comments at about 30 weeks along .
#35 of 47 Old 03-29-2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Mama2B~~

My mom has a tilted uterus and I think I do too. My mom says it made "lining everything up" for intercourse kinda tricky and sometimes painful. That's certainly been the case with dh and I and I've been blaming it on the tilted uterus the whole time. Has anyone else had this problem with a tilted uterus?

Kristi
Yep, I have that problem. I notice it's better around ovulation because it's higher and softer. During the week or so before my period it gets painful because it gets low and hard again. The missionary position works best during the painful times. Dh is also very mindful of it.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#36 of 47 Old 03-29-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma
Yep, I have that problem. I notice it's better around ovulation because it's higher and softer. During the week or so before my period it gets painful because it gets low and hard again. The missionary position works best during the painful times. Dh is also very mindful of it.
Huh! I never thought about that. Explains a lot.

Tilted here, too. My mom was as well. Vaginal births, no problem. The only thing I would say that I think makes a difference is that we both had back labor, and feel menstrual cramps in the back, but we both say that labor doesn't hurt that much. I thought she was crazy until I did it myself and it really was fine.

Kat - mama to Clara (9/29/03): & Iris (5/30/06)
#37 of 47 Old 03-29-2006, 07:20 PM

Whoever wrote that tilted uterus = c/s? I just have two words: Crazy Talk. As many above have attested, vaginal birth happens with tilted uteri all the time. Even the c/s-happy OBs (c/s rate above 60%!!!) I trained with didn't take whether or not the uterus was retroverted into account when considering c/s vs vag.

I just saw above that you're wanting/considering a VBAC - you go girl. VBACs are by and large a great choice.

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#38 of 47 Old 03-29-2006, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatSG
Huh! I never thought about that. Explains a lot.

Tilted here, too. My mom was as well. Vaginal births, no problem. The only thing I would say that I think makes a difference is that we both had back labor, and feel menstrual cramps in the back, but we both say that labor doesn't hurt that much. I thought she was crazy until I did it myself and it really was fine.
My labor really was intense and painful. My cx were off the charts and close together from the start.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#39 of 47 Old 03-29-2006, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Mama2B~~

Kristi
Yes, this is totally true. Sometimes certain positions are very uncomfortable.
#40 of 47 Old 03-29-2006, 08:21 PM

I have a retroverted uterus and cervix too, as do my mom and her mom, and my two sisters. My mom says that this is why she had back labor with all three of her births. My sister also had back labor with her birth. I don't really see where the correlation would come from, but anyway, that's the only real negative I've heard associated with a tilted uterus. Another negative is when you're getting an IUI (intrauterine insemination--that's the way I get pregnant), it can be tricky (i.e. painful) for them to thread the catheter through the cervix into the uterus. Apparently mine is tipped *and* twisted, or something.

Hoping for a HBAC this time! My c-section last time was simply due to breech twins, no mention of tipped anything.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#41 of 47 Old 03-29-2006, 08:23 PM

Wow! Never linked the titled uterus and painful intercourse, but it does make total sense.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#42 of 47 Old 03-29-2006, 08:50 PM

Well, it's a relief to hear that other have the same problem... not that I want any of you to have the same problem... ykwim!

I hadn't thought about intercourse being less painful during ovulation, but that certainly makes a lot of sense. I'll have to remember that.

Maybe this is crazy, but would it be possible for pregnancy to tip the uterus into allignment permenantly? I'm just curious if this little problem could fix itself at some point...

Kristi

Kristi wife to Mal , mom to Ziva (4/07) (3/08) Aliyah (1/09) and somebody new (edd 11/10). I
#43 of 47 Old 03-29-2006, 09:57 PM

HAving a tilted uterus does not make you prone to cesarean birth, or not qualify you for a VBAC?

What was the reason for your initial csection? This may play a bigger part than anything.
#44 of 47 Old 03-29-2006, 11:17 PM

Mama2B, not sure about pregnancy putting a uterus into alignment permanently, but wanted to point out that it is not a problem per se, just a variant of "normal", given that 1/10 to 1/3 of women (dontcha just love research?) have a retroverted (or tipped or tilted) uterus.

Just a different way of looking at things...

~claudia

p.s. For more about different ways of looking at your own womanly body and its sometimes joyous, sometimes frightening, sometimes questionable, sometimes icky, but always amazing abilities, take a look at Christiane Northrup's book Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom.
#45 of 47 Old 03-29-2006, 11:47 PM

I know that for me paps are really painful because my cervix is so "high" when not pg that they really have to sort of push the scapula UP to get it aligned. It hurts. Every time. I have heard that depending on how tilted your uterus is, pregnancy COULD tip it properly. I haven't found that to be the case for me however and I'm on my 4th pregnancy.

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#46 of 47 Old 03-30-2006, 09:21 AM

Retroverted uterus here, neither my GYN nor my midwives ever mentioned it would be an issue for a vaginal delivery. Only things "different" about my pregnancy: took longer to hear the heartbeat due to uterus position. We found it at 14w. I'm also not showing as out front as other people at my same stage of pregnancy. And mine was retroverted due to endo adhesions, so it was uncomfortable for about a week when it did finally free itself.

To other posters: when my GYN first found the tipped uterus, she also asked me if any positions were uncomfortable during intercourse. Apparently it's a pretty common side effect. Definitely true for me that some ways are better than others.
#47 of 47 Old 03-30-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboClaudia
Mama2B, not sure about pregnancy putting a uterus into alignment permanently, but wanted to point out that it is not a problem per se, just a variant of "normal", given that 1/10 to 1/3 of women (dontcha just love research?) have a retroverted (or tipped or tilted) uterus.

Just a different way of looking at things...

~claudia

p.s. For more about different ways of looking at your own womanly body and its sometimes joyous, sometimes frightening, sometimes questionable, sometimes icky, but always amazing abilities, take a look at Christiane Northrup's book Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom.
Hmmm... Isn't that something. Well, at least I know. Thanks a bunch!

Kristi

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page