Natural Birth Mamas: How Bad Was The Burn? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How bad did it burn when you pushed our your baby's head and shoulders?
It was the most intense burning pain I've ever felt in my life, like fire! 20 13.33%
It burned, but it was tolerable. 60 40.00%
I just barely felt a burning sensation. 15 10.00%
Burning? What burning? 32 21.33%
I've had multiple babies, and it was different with each one. 19 12.67%
Other, see my comments below. 4 2.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 03-28-2006, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious. With dd it felt like someone had poured gas on my crotch and lit it on fire! Now, I'm not complaining, it only felt like that at the peak of the last 2 pushes. I'm just wondering if it feels different for all of us, like in some vidoes of birth the mamas look like they don't feel a thing, while others are saying "It burns! It burns!" I'm also curious to see if it can be more or less intense with subsequent babies.
Thanks all, please add comments!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#2 of 61 Old 03-28-2006, 08:18 PM

At what felt like the most intense moment of my life, I was thankful for experiencing the ring of fire. When two more pushes there was a squirming babe in my arms, the pain was quickly forgotten.
#3 of 61 Old 03-28-2006, 08:25 PM

With ds I had a longish pushing stage and he very gradually slid out but there was absolutely no burning. Dd literally fell out and well, there of course wasn't any burn with that either, just a head in my hands at a totally unexpected moment
#4 of 61 Old 03-28-2006, 08:27 PM

I had a very intense labour (prostaglandin-induced but no pain meds) and the burning sensation was the least painful experience. I did feel it, and I can understand the expression "ring of fire" but everything up to transition was much worse.

I pushed him out in 3 pushes - with the final one he practically shot out, and the midwife could hardly catch him.
#5 of 61 Old 03-28-2006, 08:28 PM

I was really freaked out about the "ring of fire," but when she was born, I felt pressure and numbness, not burning. Crowning didn't really hurt for me.
#6 of 61 Old 03-28-2006, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't remember any burning with DS.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#7 of 61 Old 03-28-2006, 08:57 PM

I know that it definately hurt but was tolerable, but in my labor induced state I don't have a real memory of the actual sensations. Does that make sense? I guess I rememeber thinking that it hurt at the time but I don't actually remember feeling the hurt. OTOH, in my second labor I only pushed 3 times, and DD descended completely into the birth canal on the first push. That was one of the most intense sensations I've ever felt. It hurt very much, but it was worth it because I pushed less than ten minutes.
#8 of 61 Old 03-28-2006, 09:11 PM

It wasn't too bad!!! And both of my boys had really large heads. I admit that it did burn quite a bit... but gasoline poured on and lit on fire?!!!! Poor mama!

:
#9 of 61 Old 03-28-2006, 09:16 PM

It was no where near as bad as I had thought it would be!
YEAH!
And my mw gets the baby out without tearing or episiotomy- so it is not easy- it takes a bit longer at that point- but it is so much quicker healing and feeling better down there!
I could feel it- and it did not feel good- but not the worst thing in the world.
that would not be a reason to not birth naturally.
#10 of 61 Old 03-28-2006, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

hmm...
so I'm wondering now if maybe for me it burned so badly because her arm was born first. So, I had the circumference of her head plus a very chubby little arm (she was completely filled out at birth), and then I wasn't just stretched around her neck but rather since her head and arm were out I was more diagnal around her chest... does that make sense? The shoulders, or one shoulder half chest did hurt less than her head. I asked the mw if it was so painful because there was a head and an arm and she said it would have felt the same either way. I did have a little tear that took 2 stitches.

Maybe some of the addedd pain was caused by my fear of pushing? I pushed for an hour, but could have done it much faster if I weren't purpously trying not to push because I was so afraid of that moment of emergence. I still wouldn't do it any other way and am planning a home water birth, just like we had last time. And, of course, it was well worth it. Just interesting to see how different it is for other mamas!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#11 of 61 Old 03-28-2006, 10:33 PM

I voted "other"- I never really felt the "ring of fire" sensation everyone talks about. I didn't really feel any pain other than the INTENSE rectal pressure. sorry if TMI.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#12 of 61 Old 03-28-2006, 10:54 PM

With ds #1 I didn't feel it, but I was so completely overwhelmed with pain I couldn't tell one pain from another

Dd #2 I definately felt the burn, it hurt, but I actually thought it was kind of cool, given that I hadn't felt it with number 1.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#13 of 61 Old 03-28-2006, 11:32 PM

I actually liked being able to feel what was going on- rather than have the epi like with ds.
BTW. I felt amazing.
#14 of 61 Old 03-28-2006, 11:36 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
:

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#15 of 61 Old 03-29-2006, 01:52 AM

I only remember feeling the burn with my second child. With my other two, all I remember is the intense pressure.

Homeschooling Mom of 4 boys: 10/02, 6/04, 3/06, 2/09
#16 of 61 Old 03-29-2006, 09:59 AM

Other than my first son, who had shoulder stuckness( sorry, do not know how to spell the right term) my last 4 I pushed out to fast to notice anything other than pushing.
#17 of 61 Old 03-29-2006, 10:07 AM

The first one was a terrible burning sensation, and I was afraid of having to push even more and have the burning get worse, but I knew that was the only way to do it!
Second one I didn't hesitate to push through that pain, and it didn't hurt nearly as much that time either (though the contractions were far more painful the second time because there was never a break in between them).

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#18 of 61 Old 03-29-2006, 12:03 PM

I never felt a "ring," but I do remember feeling it getting tight at the front, and telling the OB (not mine, and he was a jerk) that it was bugging me. He put his hands up against me and told me to push through it. I did, and of course I tore right where it was tight.
My current OB seems to understand that letting the baby sit where it is for a bit will allow the tissues to stretch rather than tear. I don't think I would have had a problem letting the head stay put for as long as I needed to, if I'd known better.
#19 of 61 Old 03-29-2006, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I got the burning sensation with dd's head. Two years later with ds's shoulders. It is an intense sensation, I did gasp, but I remember thinking, "this means I'm almost done".
#20 of 61 Old 03-29-2006, 03:18 PM

for me it was somewhere between "the most intense pain" and "tolerable." wasn't sure what to vote for but this is the one thing i am not looking forward to at birth. luckily pushing phase was short for me. pushing hurt less than the contractions i was having toward the end so that was great motivation to just do it.
#21 of 61 Old 03-29-2006, 03:37 PM

I put different with each. With my dd i had a episiotomy (that the dr did without my permission) : so no burn at all.

With my ds the burn really took my breath away. I kept saying over and over it burns, it burns. It took me about 3 pushes with his head crowing to get past the pain of the burn. It was a real shock to feel it I would rate it as totally intense.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#22 of 61 Old 03-29-2006, 03:41 PM

I didn't feel a burn during the birth--it just felt like pressure releasing.

Five months later the tear still isn't completely healed, though!

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#23 of 61 Old 03-29-2006, 04:25 PM

I didn't feel a thing with Gabriel because I had an episiotomy that the doctor numbed. I felt a bit of a burn with Kolaiah but it wasn't that bad. I felt almost no burn at all with baby Winter, I was more focused on getting him past my pubic bone, which was the sensation I found to be almost unbearable.
#24 of 61 Old 03-29-2006, 06:02 PM

With my second it was intense, With my third I never felt it -- maybe the waterbirth "put it out"
#25 of 61 Old 03-29-2006, 06:07 PM

I had pressure and pain, but no real burning feeling. I could tell that the baby was crowning, and it HURT, but everything hurt at that point.
#26 of 61 Old 03-29-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace's voice
With dd it felt like someone had poured gas on my crotch and lit it on fire!
Maybe I outta forget this whole VBAC idea...
#27 of 61 Old 03-29-2006, 08:04 PM

I didn't really experience any "burn." The pressure was very intense but the sensation felt like it was more in my rectal area.

Molly, mom to three homebirthed girly girls: Lila 6/05, Nellie 12/07, and Lucy 1/11

#28 of 61 Old 03-29-2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pease
Maybe I outta forget this whole VBAC idea...
i know it is scary sounding. and you are probably half joking. but i saw a lady on The Baby Story on tv today who had a csection and could feel everything. several people on mothering have had that happen to them as well for me it only hurt bad for a few minutes. good luck on your decision.
#29 of 61 Old 03-29-2006, 08:09 PM

Well, with DD her head had been in the birth canal for so long (about 2 1/2 hours) that everything down there was numb.
I felt myself tear quite alot, but it didn't hurt at all (now recovery was another story!).

With DS, his labor was MUCH quicker (3 1/2 hours, with only about 20 minutes of pushing), so I didn't get the nerve block effect like with DD.
I definitely felt ALOT of stretching/burning; in fact I was screaming as he started crowning , but then my Midwife asked me to blow and let myself stretch a bit to avoid tearing and that helped.

So yeah, it hurt, but it was over so quickly that it really wasn't that big of a deal. I'm not worried about it this time
#30 of 61 Old 03-29-2006, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse
At what felt like the most intense moment of my life, I was thankful for experiencing the ring of fire. When two more pushes there was a squirming babe in my arms, the pain was quickly forgotten.
Ya that

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page